Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I wish it was possible to see which buildings unlocked what before upgrading them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Whoever recommended the settings.cfg fix for improving framerate on/near Kerbin, holy poo poo I love you. I went from ~2-4fps to just about 30! Even the regular campus screen got a huge boost so now I can actually pan around and rotate to see the tiny buildings.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43253-Default-Terrain-Quality-Without-most-of-The-Lag%21

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Thesoro posted:

So, folding in Karbonite and probably home-grown aero. Plus this exciting Kerbalizer news. Female Kerbals, finally!

Hot drat! I love Karbonite but (and i mean no offense) I can't stand the models, so here's hoping if it is folded in to KSP it gets a revamp to fit more into the style. Also super stoked about diversification of Kerbals, it's been a long time coming and it'll be great to play rocket ships with my cousin without her grumping about it being a game just for boys.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

nielsm posted:

There's also an annoying visual glitch when I enter the VAB, with the UI being all over the place, but it fixes itself before I get control. (Entering the VAB, SPH and tracking station scenes in general have some performance issues, very non-smooth.)

I get this, sticky launchpads, and sometimes when I'm futzing with things in map mode I lose all control of my ship and have to exit out to the Kampus and then back to my ship from the tracking station. Ironically, I've never had any problems with the 64-bit and specifically switched to 32-bit this time because people mentioned the KSC upgrade bug in 64. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

ToxicFrog posted:

How much dv does an MMU have? My unmanned rescue vehicle to the Mun is having a bad time with an eclipse and Jeb may have to match orbits with it by hand.

I think it has something like 500 m/s of dV.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

nielsm posted:

"Do test at some site" contracts are fine and all, but pleeeeeeease give me a distance-to-site readout somewhere!

Agreed so much; it would be great if Squad could implement some sort of visual border around the surface targets. Hell, it would be fantastic if accepting the mission spawned like a flag or a piece of debris or some thing that made the vast expanse of dirt/sand/snow unique. I understand targetting the apo/periapse would further trivialize the satellite contract missions (seriously, I've had a ten grand rocket fulfill two Mun orbit contracts running in opposing orbits, easiest half mil ever) but having a nice target for landing would certainly be a welcome addition.

So this post isn't just a feature request, holy poo poo I love the new editor. Making planes is an absolute breeze now, and I love that I no longer have to figure from the outside in when making gull wings and repositioning landing gear for the millionth time. I used to spend an hour designing a plane but now I can do it in minutes; the revamp has made it feel like a whole new game.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Arsonide posted:

The vast majority of players seem to want me to decouple navigation from the NavBall, so I'm considering doing that, which would help in this situation.

I'm not so sure decoupling entirely is the right solution so much as adding visual indicators (like the Karbonite hotspots) for the specific areas in question. I know for a few of the missions I've flown I would have been way more stressed had I been tabbing back and forth between map view and actual flight to ensure I was on-course.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Volmarias posted:

I just started playing this again after a very long hiatus, and while I like the contract missions, I'm getting a little annoyed by the "Go here and do science" missions. I've accepted a couple which want me to fly to an area then get an EVA sample. The problem is that the only way I know of to get to the area (on Kerbin) is to press M and kind of eye-ball it. This seems to be ok for "collect cockpit readings under XYZ meters" missions, but the collection area for the EVA ones seem REALLY REALLY small, and I'm getting frustrating flying around where I'm almost certain the point is and not getting a message about entering/exiting.

Is there any sort of way to enable waypoints on the nav ball for this, so that I can do this while flying normally?

If you click on the marker in map mode, you can enable navigation to it and it will show up on your navball. Doesn't do jack poo poo when you're on EVA though so you have to trial and error your way to the area with a few flybys to get it situated in your head. Arsonide has made mention of adding an in-world demarcation to make it easier to find the exact spot.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I don't recall this being in 0.25.

:siren:Multi-Tank Transfer:siren:

Now you can transfer fuel mid-burn without unbalancing your vessel.

with no hyperbole this is the best update ever

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

DBlue135 posted:

Is there a menu somewhere that shows you a graph of funds vs. time, perhaps annotated to show when various rockets were launched? Right now, I keep a separate paper next to the computer so I can write down my funds and make sure I'm making money.

No, but there was someone in the last thread trying to make a mod that does just that. I can't remember the name of the poster, but last I heard they were trying to corral a database viewer into it so I'm pretty sure they've committed suicide by now.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Count Roland posted:

Let me get this straight. Caps lock lets me just ignore RCS positioning wrt the center of mass? I've never used it before, I assume since its precision mode it cuts the thrust. That seems... unfair or something.

Not exactly, It simply helps with imprecisely-placed thrusters by adjusting thrust output by distance from CoM. You can still gently caress it up if you are bad enough at placement; if you only have one ring of thrusters at one end then you're still going to get mad torque problems when translating.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
For the missions to build an outpost with facilities to house X kerbals, does it have to be a single craft or can I have a small cluster of ships within a few meters of each other? Relatedly, for Orbital Station contracts does it have to go up all at once or can I construct it piece by piece?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
followup question: is there a planetary base building part pack that doesn't come with a spergy resource management minigame or is MKS the only game in town?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
alright i installed mks/oks and i'm loving around in sandbox to see how it all fits together, but apparently it doesn't?

how is that not a valid target for the flexytube thing; are you really expected to use those ugly-rear end legs for literally every part of the base because f that

Vain posted:

Whenever I go to circularize an orbit and my apoapsis and periapsis start to get close, the apo and peri markers on the map view start jumping around like crazy. Is this standard or is something messed up in my game?

that's totally normal, the game isn't real good at handling 'player is actually able to establish symmetrical orbits'. if you don't like it you can just have one end of your orbit be like a couple kilometers off from the other

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

EightBit posted:

Try having a pretty eccentric orbit with a large apoapsis and needing to orbit in the opposite direction: there's no way to plan a maneuver that completely reverses the direction of your orbit. The maneuver node system can't handle it, you have to just point retrograde and burn until you are going the opposite direction with the right velocity. Be sure to turn SAS to the plain stability assist option first :jeb:

you definitely can, you just have to really work the pink triangles in conjunction with the yellow circles. i know you can because i had two satellite contracts running in opposing orbits and used the maneuver system at an ascending/descending node to score a twofer.

The_Censorship_Nazi posted:

Well, one thing to remember with flexitubes is that you still need to treat them like you would docking ports - one port for either side of the connection. However, you only need one of them to be a flexitube connector, the other can be a pretty bog-standard OKS/MKS docking port. Most of the OKS/MKS parts don't have docking ports built right into them.

ah, i see; i thought the thing was an integrated port because it looks exactly like one. roverdude, did you have a plan to use it as such and just gave up on it or what?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Grand Fromage posted:

I transmitted as much as I could. Have to go back and try again.

Now headed for the Mun and I think I am too light on fuel again. What's usually the first problem to investigate when your landers can't get back? Not enough fuel? Lander's too heavy? Need a bigger engine?

first priority is check dV to ensure it's not a matter of too little fuel

you can do that by either laboriously calculating it yourself or just installing kerbal engineer. i recommend the latter, although by default it shows you waaaaaaaaay more information than you need for like 80% of the game.

after you've worked out that you have at least the ideal amount needed for a minmus return mission (~7500m/s i think?) then as long as your thrust-to-weight ratio is above 1 on every body you're visiting then the culprit will be bad piloting.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

(Catching up so a couple of random replies)

Flex O tubes are KAS pipes. Yes you need two of them. Nope they are not docking ports. If you don't like the base modules, that's fine. You should be able to slap one of the flex o tube thingies on that nipple on the ILM, then connect it to another flex o tube (just like a KAS pipe).

Also - for folks who think MKS to RocketParts is too complex... Here's all of MKS manufacturing in a nutshell. Boils down to four harvested resources, a pair of drills, and two sets of converters.

Harvest stuff. Turn these into basic raw materials. Turn these into things. Profit.

wait hang on does that mean this chart is outdated? or does it mean i have to use both charts at the same time?

also thanks for the clarification re: the hubnipple and landing leg things; it's such a radically different mod from like Kethane so how things fit together is not terribly clear, especially when all the tutorials say to put one under everything.

while you're here, i played around with karbonite a while back, does the MKS thing not show resources the same way with the bubbles or did i gently caress something up when i used the DDS converter utility? because i'm not seeing any bubbles, just percentages on the popup menu for my satellite probe.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

Both - that old one is just TAC-LS. But for folks wanting to use EL to make rocketparts with MKS - use that other one.

And TAC-LS is a closed loop with just a few parts.

Also - no more bubbles with Regolith. The bubbles were more trouble than they were worth. Basically, everything is biome based now with a reasonable range in a given biome (so a biome might have 2.5%- 7.5% Karbonite, or whatever). Find out what biomes have your stuff, land, and profit. Or use SCANSat 9.4 or AtomicFury's patch of the overlay Cyrik made. Both work.

wait so i need some other mod to make the launchpad and orbital shipyard included actually work too? and since i haven't TAC i can just ignore the chart i was looking at, right? man, with all these weird dependencies and poo poo it's a wonder nobody's made modpacks like Minecraft

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

If you don't have TAC-LS, ignore the life support bit (though to be honest, TAC-LS is why most people use MKS).

If you don't have EL then you can either make stuff for funds or look at the pretty bits? Otherwise, they are there for parts and machinery that support the various modules. Plugging in EL support was just a matter of making some pretty models and adding one extra generator at the end.

yeah i'm using MKS because there is literally no other option for aesthetic base building. For the EL stuff, how much do you reckon I can rip out from it while still being able to use your parts? e: watching a video to understand EL and apparently i need kethane installed to run it as well? i'm bout ready to say gently caress this infinite recursion of mods bullshit; i just want to have green mans do adventures

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

If you want pretty bases, don't install either. Just go have fun..

If you want to build spaceships, EL has no dependency on Kethane. You just need some way to get ore/rocketparts. The new MKS bits do that, and hide the less aesthetic EL bits. Done.

so I could just delete the parts folder from EL and everything would run okay as i have MKS? i'm sorry for being an rear end with all these questions, i'm just snippy because this is turning into a 'contains everything you need! (batteries not included, major assembly required, product may not resemble image on box)' situation and you are quite literally the only game in town when it comes to planetary base parts.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

Also - no more bubbles with Regolith. The bubbles were more trouble than they were worth. Basically, everything is biome based now with a reasonable range in a given biome (so a biome might have 2.5%- 7.5% Karbonite, or whatever). Find out what biomes have your stuff, land, and profit. Or use SCANSat 9.4 or AtomicFury's patch of the overlay Cyrik made. Both work.

alright so i installed the overlay patch thing and every time i go from the space center to something in flight it adds another entry for it in the toolbar. i got five entries in before saying gently caress it and uninstalling. that's on top of the 2-3 second pause whenever i tried changing overlay modes. what a pile of garbage!

i'm curious now, how exactly were the bubbles more trouble than they were worth? because from where i'm sitting they were incredibly elegant, intuitive, and didn't lock up my game and extend my toolbar into infinity.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

For your earlier bit, MKS *DOES* include all of the bits in the box. It works just fine as it is - and you get to extend it if you want. It used to include TAC and I pulled that. Used to include Karbonite and that dependency got broke. The one thing I would do that I forgot was to put a MM config to hide a couple of the EL-compatible parts, but then that would make people sad who wanted them for aesthetics, hence they got left in (in the same way that a kerbitat is just a pretty lego brick without life support).

could you at the very least treat them the same way you do the flex-o-tubes and say 'does not work unless you have EL installed' instead of the current situation where the description is literally the exact opposite? please thank you etc. for politics

a sincere thank you for the EL advice; i'm running on an ancient laptop with limited drive space so yanking as much as possible and installing as little as possible is critical. as for the beach balls, i think you went too far the other direction. rather than have no discovery, you've swung all the way to shitloads of discovery but no retention unless you physically plant a flag or leave a landmark. saying 'oh yeah just learn the biomes' is all well and good on kerbin but the mun is visually just vast slabs of undifferentiated grey with the occasional crater for those of us who have to run on minimum settings.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

ToxicFrog posted:

You don't need EPL at all.

As I understand it, it works like this:
  • MKS/OKS works out of the box with no additional dependencies, it just doesn't do much except look pretty and let you mine minerals that you can send back to Kerbin for money if you want to.
  • If you have TAC Life Support installed, MKS becomes life support enabled and the parts for producing and recycling food, water and oxygen start doing things.
  • If you have Extraplanetary Launchpads installed, RocketParts production and offworld construction using MKS becomes enabled.
  • If you have Karbonite installed, I don't think MKS itself changes any, but the Karbonite mining & refining parts interoperate nicely with MKS storage and whatnot.

Have I missed anything?

It got resolved later; the trouble was the only part that says you need another mod for it to actually work is the flex-o-tubes. everything else in MKS up to and including the tutorial intimates that it is necessary (kerbitat, hab domes) and perfectly functional (orbital shipyard, launchpad) right out of the box, so i was confused + frustrated when it turned out to be a lie.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Any tips on building a reusable space plane? I've tried just downloading craft files but they all require mods to use properly and I'd rather stick with stock. Or are they semi required?

Most of my planes just cant seem to take off of the runway, even with ailerons.

Tip #1: Don't. It's incredibly tedious and fiddly, and reuseable rockets are significantly better at chucking poo poo into orbit.

Tip#2: make sure your planes are following the basic rules of airplanes, as enumerated in this basically perfect (if absurdly long) tutorial

Tip#3: You absolutely can make stock SSTO spaceplanes but by god are they rear end to control with just keyboard and mouse and most successful designs require spamming the poo poo out of air intakes and using action groups to manage them and the engines. But when you can manage it, boy howdy you feel superior to all the jerk kids who bullied you at Space Camp, saying that it's 'not appropriate' for a 37 year old man to attend and giving you swirlies in the 'space toilet' THAT ISN'T EVEN LIKE THE ONES THEY USE IN SPACE THE WATER WOULD GET EVERYWHERE GOD

hope this helps!

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Before I waste a shitload of kesos, does anyone know if the MKS Science Lab counts the same as the Mobile Processing Lab for stock contracts? The contract just says Science Lab and the MKS implies that it's interchangeable but from what I've learned MKS is not the most reliable source.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

robotsinmyhead posted:

Is there a trick to this Matched Orbit missions? I've done one successfully by winging it, and the "marginal error" seemed pretty friendly. The one I'm doing now? I'm within 50m of a AP/PE and dead on the inclination and it won't check it off.

Are you absolutely sure you're orbiting in the correct direction? Sometimes it'll chuck a clockwise orbit instead of the normal anticlockwise.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Thanks! Managed to complete the contract for a Mun base only 50,000 Kesos in the hole. Most of that was from lithobraking one of the two drill platforms, but now I know how to precision land! I have to say that the weird lander leg things from MKS are actually a godsend because they act as huge part containers for KAS. I exclusively use the radial orange engines for descent now because I can rip them off once landed and shove them into the container, reducing partcount. There's only about forty total parts on my base and it's already in Yellowtime, so I need to be more vigilant about storing things like pipe endpoints and solar panels :/

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

SKELETONS posted:

Ok that makes sense, lol. I actually launched this craft and that happened but I didn't make the connection.
e: the effect still persists after fixing that, to the tune of about 500m/s in favor of doing the SRB's first. rockets are unintuitive, who knew.

It's been fairly thoroughly answered now but there's also the fact that KSP's atmosphere is basically a soup, and if your TWR is too high too low you're wasting fuel trying to go faster than the air can move aside. If you're launching conventionally and you're seeing mach effects / re-entry heating, you're going way too fast and wasting fuel.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

But you look ~awesome~ doing it.

That's what spaceplanes are for!

Five solid minutes of hellfire as you centimeter by centimeter get up to the right altitude and speed to light up your vacuum thrusters, knowing full well that at any moment one wrong keystroke will lose you all control and waste every preceding moment. Then when you zoom in on the cockpit to get a dramatic screenshot the game hitches anyway and you tumble into oblivion. :v:

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Ciaphas posted:

I just want to make sure of something before I go on another modding spree. MKS is meant to be an addon to TAC-Life Support, right? In other words if I don't want to deal with TAC-LS, MKS is more or less pointless except as a source of pretty parts?

While I'm at it, can anyone explain in simple words how things like ORS, Community Resource Pack, Regolith, etc. relate? I wanted to install Karbonite, EPL, and a couple other mods I've never tried and I got dragged into a mire of terms :confused:

welcum 2 my hell

MKS/OKS is allegedly standalone, but in order to use every part of the buffalo you need Extraplanetary Launchpads, Kerbal Attachment System, and TAC Life Support. Roverdude claims the only bits that are useless without TAC are the kerbitat and associated hab modules, which is a loss of like four parts total. Without EL, you lose the surface and orbital Shipyard parts, and without KAS you lose the Flex-O-Tubes which make non-orbital base building incredibly easy.

Regolith et al. are bundled with MKS/OKS because they're the core mods that everything else Roverdude makes (like Karbonite) actually build off of. I have yet to set up an actually functioning base because despite roverdude's protestations this poo poo is complicated as gently caress as compared to, say, Kethane. If you want to play with EPL you have to set up a chain of like seven buildings just to get the rocketparts in addition to the fuel refining from Karbonite.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Grand Fromage posted:

I seem to always end up leaving Kerbin on an equatorial orbit and arriving at Duna or Eve in a polar one.

This part is because Duna and Eve are not precisely on the ecliptic like Kerbin and the Mun. Once you break from Kerbin's SOI you should be able to see an ascending/descending node for the targeted body; perform a 'plane change' maneuver there by pulling on the purpley-pink triangles until you get an inclination of as close to 0* as you can manage.

If you need practice, you can try doing this with Minmus or the various 'put satellite in specific orbit' contracts.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Geirskogul posted:

This all hurts my head. TOO MUCH.

what could you possibly mean???

It's so simple!!!! nevermind that this picture appears nowhere in the wiki, and the flowchart that IS there does not matter in the slightest unless you install another mod entirely.

if that's still too much for your feeble casual gamer mind, you can just play make pretend with them.

RoverDude posted:

No debate. I've had more 'volunteers' to update it than I can shake a stick at, so it's due for an overhaul - will settle into that after I see what happens with 0.91 as that will impact documentation and I'd prefer not to do it again

Realtalk most of my frustration with this mod is the complete lack of meaningful documentation. Every bit of 'how to start your first base' is actually 'here's what you need if you have TAC installed'. The part that covers what comes natively with the mod has a nice group of links down at the bottom of the tutorial list, and every single one links back to the home page of the wiki.

e: so the post isn't just bitching, i got another contract for a barebones Mun outpost so I chucked it down right on top of my extant one, stole the dregs of fuel left from the half dozen launches that built it, then blasted off back for Kerbin after planting a flag:

ellie the beep fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 3, 2015

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Vetitum posted:

I'm having a mod related issue (I assume it's Mod related anyway) where any contract markers in both map view and on the navball show up as coloured squares rather than icons. Anyone else seen this happen and know how to fix it?

Did you run the DDS converter utility? If so, you need to Undds-ify the GameData/Squad/Contracts/Icons folder. If you want to DDS those icons anyway just look in the DDS converter's Mods Exceptions and do a custom DDS using the parameters from the Fine Print exceptions.

e: more specifically you want to run the folder as Normalmaps: Force not normal, Do not generate Mipmaps, and do not resize.

ellie the beep fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 5, 2015

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Krittick posted:

For MKS/OKS, how do you use the flex-o-tubes to connect two base/station modules? Do I need to put docking ports on both sides or is there a way with KAS to just use the flex-o-tube by itself? I can't figure out how to use the link mode at all and there's no indication of how to link something once you're in that mode.

I'm just using it for pretty base/station parts right now with EPL and no TACLS, if that matters.

Hey I know this one!

First, make sure you have KAS installed. You need one flex-o-tube on each bit you're connecting. If you know how to use KAS pipes, it's the exact same procedure. If you don't know how, you take a Kerbal on EVA and get near one of the flex-o-tubes. Right click on the part and a menu should pop up with 'Link' as one of the options. Click on that, and you should see a phantom tube start following the Kerbal. Take your kerbal to the other flex-o-tube and do the menu thing again and click 'Link' again and it should work perfectly. It might be a different word (I haven't played in a couple days) but it should be semantically related.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Krittick posted:

That makes sense. For some reason I was thinking only a single flex-o-tube was needed for both ends of the connection (ie. As if the MKS part's node acted as a destination for the KAS link).

Thanks!

You're welcome! I had a similar problem; the Inflatable Logistics Module has a nipple that looks exactly like it would work like that but turns out nope that function is not inbuilt.

Once you get past the shoddy reference documentation, the requirements that aren't, and the weird state of being simultaneously largely palette-swapped and not really coherent with itself MKS is a pretty good mod. Roverdude said the documentation is getting a major rewrite so it just gets better as time goes on, and I for one am excited about the future.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Synnr posted:

Unless something changed, it builds dreadfully slow. They don't just pop up as soon as you hit build! Timewarp a bit and see if the number changes, but its going to be like 0.00001%.

can this be configured or is this a case of ~my vision~ idiocy on the part of the mod author?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

I would like to make Kethane the attractive option for non-hardcore players

most of that seems interesting in an 'off by default' sort of way, but i think the scanner may be actually fun if it attenuated by distance rather than tech level. like by way of a for instance, a 50km munar orbit only returns presence/absence, 25km gets you average, 12km gets nearest and within 6km gets you decimals. this has the advantage of requiring various orbits and (in the majority of cases) actual ground exploration for significant figures as well as being accessible and intuitive to players who are still operating by feel. obviously the distances would vary per-planet and the addition of a system on top of the four tier plan is probably an unwelcome bit of work so feel free to dismiss it with or without gendered insults, however you see fit

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

RoverDude posted:

What's up with that bolded bit? I recall that he pretty aggressively was not compatible with other mods (fair enough) did not hear anything about outright sabotage tho.

I think they're conflating events because afaicr FlowerChild never deliberately hosed with other people's mods, but he definitely has a history of playing super poorly with others. I don't remember the details but for a bit he was working with a few other modders on an API and basically everything he checked in was a) solely for his own mod to have hooks and b) generally hosed over the other contributors by calling things in a really obtuse way. Also for a while if you decided you didn't want to play with his mod anymore you had to do a clean install because it replaced the game's .class files with his own.

There was another modder that had code which checked for the presence of a few goon-made mods and made the world full of actual virtual exploding bees upon detection, but FlowerChild never went quite that far (unless I missed something more recent).

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Geirskogul posted:

After that other poster said he watched PlanetES after I suggested he watch PlanetES, I decided to re-watch PlanetES (last viewing was in 2004-5 via fansubbed groups, when I was still in high school), and I'm really digging it [again]. It makes me wish for customized EVA suits, though. Was there a good mod for something like that?

Also, it was a few pages back, but somebody mentioned a mod for tiny grappling claws?

One of the mods in Roverdude's constellation has a tiny grappling claw, I think he said it was Advanced Mining Technologies.

As for changing spacesuits, TextureReplacer offers that functionality. If you scroll down a bit there's even a small index of various texturepacks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
And we have final proof from FlowerChild himself as to why he is an incredible shitlord.

I'm super-glad this is happening and even gladder that the reaction from this thread is overwhelmingly positive. Good job, Squad!

Avenging Dentist posted:

The best troll from Squad would be if kerbals were still asexual (they just had two main phenotypes) so any two kerbals could reproduce. That would be a good time to reveal that Jeb is Bill and Bob's child. :twisted:

got my fingers crossed for this