Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

I've played this forever, but I landed a plane for the first time today.

I never bothered to dive in too deep with planes because they didn't seem as fun as rockets. I had a bunch of survey contracts on the board so I gave them a shot and found them to be pretty fun (and profitable).

It's cool that the new constraints got me to try something fun I otherwise wouldn't have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

WhiteHowler posted:

I did one of the Kerbal rescue contracts with no upgrades to anything other than my launch pad and VAB. I have my orbit within 3k of the Kerbal, but I can't switch to him to get him over to the waiting capsule. Is there another upgrade I need to get him aboard?

I think it's within 2.2k, then hit the one of the square bracket keys to cycle to him.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Is there a way to transfer ships already in flight between saves? I was in the middle of Voltronning a big station together that I was quite fond of right before .90 dropped. I started a new save file to check out the changes on a fresh run-through and I'd like to transfer the station over to the new save in its current state to continue building it out. It took about 5 launches to get to its current shape, so I'd rather not start from scratch right now.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

I make Oreos out of 2 big docking ports and a probe core. Slap on a pair of RTGs for power, some RCS for movement, and you have something compact and self-sufficient. You can either tug things around and then ditch into atmo, or stay attached to the station to add RCS as needed without taking up a docking port or adding warts to the outside of your pretty space parts.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Vetitum posted:

Edit: also anyone else playing Career on Hard find the 30 piece limit on the Lvl 1 VAB quite difficult to navigate? I completed the explore Mun & Minmus contracts using an unmanned probe I softly landed on the surface. There seems almost no way to build a lander able to land & return with just 30 parts. Anyone managed this?

It was only on normal, but this is what I just used. 5 big SRBs tuned down a bit and a Poodle to get to orbit, 3 lv-909s for a transfer and landing stage, then a return stage of another 909. It's pretty no-frills with one solar panel and no batteries, lights, or RCS, but it's got a materials bay and a pair of goo canisters and doesn't leave any orbiting debris. You could probably cut it down even further by ditching the landing legs. Note: I had to squirt in a little bit of fuel from the return tank to get a soft landing, so make sure you have resource transfer unlocked or maybe just pilot it a little more efficiently. This was all stock parts without FAR or its like.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

How did I play this game so long without KAS?

I launched a Mun satellite for a DMagic contract but forgot to attach an antenna to transmit the experiments, so I sent Jeb out to rendezvous and slap one on. I set up my return only to realize I forgot to include parachutes on his ship. Did some aerobraking, met up with my StationScience ship in LKO, ripped off an extra parachute from one of my experiment return craft, and got him home safe. Before I would have done boring things like revert or scrap and relaunch, but now I have all these cool ways to fix my absentmindedness. :v::hf::jeb:

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

If you aren't committed to stock, the easiest way I've found to do a rover so far is the PackRat included in the USI Exploration Pack. It's broken down into a front/back section, front/back chassis, wheels, seat, and other optional structural and science attachments. If you install KAS, you can stuff the bits into a handful of bins and snap it together when you arrive.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9acNdac9hI

I've found it to be pretty stable over the chunks of distance needed for the Mun survey contracts I've gotten, and you don't have to mount it to your rocket in some ridiculous configuration.

It may not be as satisfying as a DIY solution that you finally get to work, but if you just want to get something low-hassle that let's you putz around in space, it's pretty handy.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Does anyone use a 1st person EVA mod they'd recommend? Googling shows me things that are either out of date or not trivial to setup, so I'd like to find something that I know works before I bloat my install any further.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Luneshot posted:

There's a first person view mod I use from like 0.23 that still works fine, and unlike other first-person EVA mods it doesn't require anything like Hullcam- just press C to go into the view. It's fantastic and it really helps immersion, it'd be a nice stock feature.

(The mod also has a force-IVA option but I don't use that)
here

Thanks, this works great. It looks like the developer abandoned it more or less, so a few things aren't 100%, but still really cool.

Speaking of things that would be nice stock features, I'd like a way to place parts symmetrically, then remove pieces from that placed group individually. It would make things like asparagus staging a whole lot easier to set up.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Ughhhhh I'm having constant crashes from bumping up against the 32-bit memory-limit even after converting everything to DDS, but each and every mod I'm running is precious and I can't bring myself to delete any of them

Have you tried the force opengl option? I went from crashing every other launch to not running out of memory once since I made the change.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

We're starting to get better eyes on Pluto's moons. It might be cool if there were some kind of way to unlock visibility of the more far-flung bodies in the system as your space program progressed. Maybe contracts for orbital placement of telescopes could unlock them as a reward.

Bonus Pluto fact: one of its moons is named Kerberos :v:

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

RoverDude posted:

Nertea and I are working on a heat management mod ;)

Is it just engine heat or are we gonna be doing barbecue rolls around Kerbin?

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

EPL question: I'm trying to get an Orbital Rocket Workshop to start churning out station pieces. There's power, a C3, crew, enough rocket parts, and it says it's operational, but nothing happens when I hit build. The progress bar shows up, but sits at 0% and doesn't advance even if I time accelerate for a while. Does it look like I'm missing a resource requirement, or are my mods not playing nice together?

I've got EPL, the EPL->Regolith adaptation, and MKS/OKS along with some other stuff all installed through CKAN and up to date.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

As much as I always like the IVAs, I can't help but wish that we could get up and move about the cabin and between sections. I added a 1st person EVA mod a while back and it adds so much to the game for me, it would be cool to move around the inside like that too.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

If you're having early science problems, don't forget that each building around the space center is its own biome, even the flagpole and crawlerway. I built a tiny rover with little jet bursts to propel it along and with just crew reports, thermometers, goo, science bays, and eva reports, you can scrape about 200 science around KSC.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

I seem to be declining contracts for Pol more than anything else. I've only managed a manned Mun flyby so far on this start and every other offer seems to include Pol. I don't think I've even seen one for Ike/Duna yet.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

mad.radhu posted:

There used to be a mod that could pull live telemetry out of the game and display it in a web browser/over the network to a tablet, are there still any projects like that in the works? Telemachus is the one i'm thinking of, but it seems support has dropped off in recent versions.

A while back I remember seeing Custom Control Pad doing something like this. No idea if that is still supported or updated. There's also this plugin for certain Logitech keypads.

I just discovered that retrograde hold automatically switches to stability assist and back if you accelerate too much while landing and start going the other direction. No more flipping around. 1.0 best update.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Reminder to read the orange text in part descriptions. Some solar panels are not retractable anymore. Gonna be a lot harder to get good aerobraking on my reusable moon tug :saddowns:

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

I've stayed around Kerbin and its moons making stations for most of my played time, but I'm looking to start doing more interplanetary stuff. I've put together this ship to hopefully land on Duna, spend some time on Ike, and return. It might be overkill, but I figured I could leave the top section there with any extra fuel to be used later. It's sitting topped up waiting to be crewed in LKO and I've got a window coming up around 50 days from now.

Here's what I gather from Engineer in the VAB:
Landing stage alone has ~3800dV
Counting the full lander+fuel attached as dead weight, the tug on top has ~4000dV
My plan is transfer, orbit, separate, land, refuel in orbit, go to Ike, hop around, refuel, leave extra fuel behind and return.

I'm wondering if there's anything glaring that I need to fix (KIS is installed if I need to tinker) or possibly what other bodies I could visit/return with this thing.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Everyone here is looking for their hole...I've already found mine.

It's asking me to go in. "Come and enter me."

I'm going to have to enter that hole. I'm going to die there. Inside.

This is my hole...This is...th...

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Panfilo posted:

-I can't seem to get that colored overlay back now. It only showed it once! How do I get it again?

First focus your view on the body you want info on. This can be done from the tracking station or from the map view of your active ship by double clicking on the center of the body or by left click+focus view (you can refocus your view back on your ship with backspace). Then over on the right side you'll see a few buttons. Click on the one that looks like a planet with a section of it removed. Then click on Ore from the resource list and fiddle with your colors/threshold. Once you have the overlay active, you can even see it present from the regular view if you zoom out all the way.

These are the buttons on the right side you're looking for.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

The new aero model might be a little more difficult at times, but you can still get ridiculous things through the atmosphere. I just got this monstrosity to Minmus so it could land horizontally, and shuttle fuel from the mining operation to orbit. It only took a couple misfires before I got the ascent pinned down and the gimbals dialed in. At least try something before you write off an idea. Plain Jane rockets are boring.

I call it the Elephant Beetle. It doesn't look as phallic when landed.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

I've got this big MKS MkIII stick I'm trying to get to Minmus. I can get it to LKO ready to transfer but as soon as I try to time accelerate on-rails, it breaks apart during acceleration and everything except the probe core controlling it plummets straight back to ground. The weird thing is that if I leave acceleration and hit the engines, my orbit changes as if nothing had happened before I start seeing explosions below me. I don't have any joint reinforcement mods or anything along those lines as far as I know. Any likely culprit?

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Craft file, thanks Roves: http://pastebin.com/0UUAb1mP

It's actually not that bad to get to orbit. It isn't that heavy, just long. The landing modules have RCS built in, but it sucks down monoprop to keep it righted (about 1500 to reach orbit). 8 asparagused Mainsails with virtually no gimbal and a Rhino in the middle.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

Are we talking about 5x+ time warp or 2-4x? If the latter, that thing is huge, its probably just shaking itself to pieces. (Like the pogo stick effect you get from hitting engines on 2-4x accel, but magnified by each joint.)

E: You said on rails, IDGI either then.

E2: Wait, you also said accelerating, so that's 2-4x. You might have to just leave it in 1x.

No 5x and above fully out of the atmosphere is the only type I've done with this. If I start 5x, it looks like there is some mystery torque that only starts as soon as I enter full time acceleration. It starts to rotate and then tears itself apart, all while under full 5x time acceleration. Then, if I exit back to normal time and say burn the engines, the pieces of the ship still appear to be falling kilometers below me, but the orbit readout on KER changes as though the engines were firing.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Antti posted:

So if I have an Ant engine on a probe and I need to do a 30 minute burn to get to Jool, and I can't time accelerate if my ship is accelerating, my only option is to leave it at full throttle and go make a sandwich?

This is not a problem as such, I'm just double-checking that I'm not missing something.

If you use Alt+, or Alt+. you can do time acceleration in increments up to 4x, but it still models physics. With something small you could get away with 4x, but with something big, it might work itself loose if you go above 2x. It's not much and you'll probably want to still babysit it while it's going, but it's better than nothing.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Psawhn posted:

I've had this bug, too. I have no idea what causes it, but it's a huge pain. I've even had it happen with stock + mechjeb, way back in .23.5 when asteroids and the Klaw were added, so I don't even know if it's a mod issue or not.

Yeah now I'm thinking it might not be a mod issue. I went back and rebuilt it and it looks like it works fine now. It might have something to do with opening and saving crafts between the SPH and VAB. At one point during construction of the old version of the ship that acted weird, I opened it in the SPH to change a few things then loaded it back in the VAB. Making the whole thing from scratch in the VAB gave me no issues with timewarp.

Whatever it was though it was infecting everything. I saved when the broken ship was in orbit and switched to one of my science stations around Kerbin and it had the same timewarp instability. I opened up the persistent file and deleted all traces of the ship that was acting weird and everything seems to be working for now. Fingers crossed!

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Cubey posted:

Can someone give an example of a decent, lightweight manned rover I can attach to interplanetary ships? I've gotten rocket design down (mostly) and I finally got a spaceplane that can get to space without booster stages, but rover design is something I've always been miserable at since the start and that has not changed at all.

Once you start unlocking the smaller parts down the tree you can make little ones that fit inside the service bays. This guy is sitting on Minmus now to shuttle over to any rover contracts that pop up. It's unmanned, but there should be enough room to shove a command seat on the front or back. While you are designing it, mess around with it on Kerbin a bit because the floor height while landed will sometimes cause you trouble and if you have any part clipping with the bay it will wig out and ruin your mission.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

No it's able to overcome the bump on its own. That's why I said you really have to dial in the height, plus lock suspension on the landing legs so they don't give as much. I was going to try to fit a small RCS port on the bottom to help reconnect it, but the force between the docking ports is enough to pull it up (even on Kerbin) after swirling it around for a bit.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Not My Leg posted:

Any good quality of life mods people recommend besides KER, Alarm Clock, and Protractor?

Waypoint Manager. All contract waypoints are visible while in flight and you can add your own custom ones.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Also Precise Node, you'll never go back to manually dragging around maneuver nodes again. And some sort of docking port indicator, either Navball Docking Alignment Indicator for something basic, or Docking Port Alignment Indicator if you want something with more bells and whistles.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

I finally got my Minmus manufacturing base all set up, so here's a tour!

On the right there's 4 workspace modules that all came loaded with ~15000 rocket parts from Kerbin that helped bootstrap the colony. They landed on monoprop engines with <50m/s dV left. Fortunately the Greater Flats are, well, flat, so they could land anywhere in the area and cruise on over without too much hassle over nailing the orbit. They had a stack on top with torque wheels, solar panels, and probe cores, but those got stripped off and chucked in the recycler once they were in place.

In the middle there's a few modules for aeroponics, habitat, and command (also some more spare rocket parts). The colony is living off trucked-in life support supplies, so they don't do much at present. That should change once I get around to trying to close the support loop with further construction. That big fella in the center is the Logistics Hub that ferries around raw materials from other locations on the surface without me having to hand-deliver them. It's the only piece in this section that was made on site and not flown in from Kerbin.

The BLS (big long stick) was launched a long time ago while the rest was built up around it. It's the heart of the manufacturing operation, with a raw materials refiner and rocket parts fabricator. There's also a fuel refinery that goes unused for now since there's a stock ore->fuel processor off-site. It will probably process and enrich uranium for power later. At least that's what I think it does. Really that and the training academy next to it don't see much action right now. In the middle of the stick is the launch pad.

On the back side there's a MetallicOre drill assembly and some materials storage. There's carbon copies of the rig at two other hotspots on the surface for Substrate and Minerals along with a Logistics Hub at each. Of course, I didn't realize until after placement that the Logistics Hub didn't need a two-way connection and could be handled from one central location. Oh well, lesson learned and redundancy doesn't hurt. These were built on-site with the rocket parts that were flown in. Didn't really want to wrestle with getting something so brick-shaped out of the atmosphere.

Almost all of the non-stock parts are MKS/USI with a little KAS/KIS and other small pieces mixed in along with EPL functionality. Future plans include making an orbital shipyard on so the really big stuff doesn't have to launch from the surface. I'll also mess around with trying to close resource loops as much as possible, but that's not a top priority with how easy it is to truck in new stuff once every year or so. It's getting more and more like a slideshow around the base, so I need to try to consolidate some of this storage and get the part count down now that it is cheap to do so on-site.

Roverdude I have some questions about functionality for what I think is your stuff if you don't mind.
First the Logistics Hub. Is there any way to update the resource count of vessels that are out of physics range? I'm guessing that it would bog down everything if that was updated all the time, but it's a little annoying to load the far-flung mining sites just to update the counts so I can immediately jump back to the main base to ship in fresh stuff.

Next, when on EVA and right-clicking something to [Scrap part], there's a message that pops up about creating Recyclables that are immediately lost due to lack of storage. There is ample Recyclables storage on the vessel so I'm not sure if I'm missing anything. As it stands now, I just keep a running tally of Recyclables and just edit the persistent file every once in a while.

Finally, what is this button supposed to do. On my install it just pops up a featureless grey box that I can't close.

Anyways I think those things are all part of your stuff. I've had a lot of these mods installed for a long time, so I'm not always sure where individual bits come from or what might not be playing nice. Regardless, your work is awesome and really adds to the longevity of the game, so thanks.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Or you can just open up the debug menu with alt+f12, go to the contracts tab, and mark it complete.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Went up for a bog standard rescue contract and it turns out this poor little fella is shoved in a probe core. Guess he's gonna have to sit tight until I unlock the grabber since I get a message that the craft has no hatch when I try to send him on EVA.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Yeah sorry Arson I skipped town after I made that post, but I am running MKS among other things so it sounds like you found the culprit.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

If you had a crazy amount of jet thrust, couldn't you throw yourself straight into a Mun encounter from atmosphere and have that kick you into a big orbit?

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Is there a way to use the docking port on the new USI hab module, or is it just painted on? I've been messing around with it and can't seem to get it to work.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

OAquinas posted:

Sure that's a docking port and not an egress hatch? I mean, it has "Crew Hatch" on it...

For reference, this is the docking port that comes with the MKS stuff that acts like a docking port, which is why I thought that piece on the hab had the same function.

And it won't let you surface attach anywhere on the part, in KAS or otherwise.

I guess it's just painted on. Not a big deal, just means I need to reconfigure some things on the Mun base.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Oh hey it's the reason I took a break last time! They need to try to do something about ground bases sometimes getting flung up off the ground when loaded. I don't like the feeling that it's a crap shoot whether or not my stuff will rapidly disassemble itself within physics distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Use the Anchor functionality on MKS modules. It fixes them and connected components in place, preventing physics jumps and other sorts of werid events along those lines.

I thought that function was removed a few months ago. I don't see it on the MkV legs, at least.