Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Just started playing again, thought .90 helped a ton with x64 stability, why are some modders still being shitlords about it?

Duodecimal posted:

Don't forget the " -force-opengl" command line parameter.

I'm running just under 50 mods (just about every Roverdude mod plus DDS loader (and ran the DDS converter with some exceptions)). After ... 12 hours my memory usage is just over 2 GB.

I've given up on 64bit for now. Between DDS and opengl I'm always more than a gig below the CTD trigger using way more mods than I did before.

Got a modlist?

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Kinda wish there was a mod that showed how much ram each mod used. Memoryusage is fine but I'd still like that.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

also has anyone made a mod that lets you tweak stuff more precisely?

It's really tiring that you can't be ultra precise with stuff that needs to be, like fuel amounts on srb's for example.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 12, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Okay, something is majorly hosed with my modlist, not getting any science nine times out of ten, maybe it's flight manager and stage recovery fighting over stuff? Checked the logs and it seems like it's pushed back to the launchpad, so probably flight manager.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 12, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

shovelbum posted:

Ah yeah true, just thinking about how to make these individual mods (many of them yours) actually fun to use with this new framework. I think you're right then that on the Regolith side proper the key is to make the depletion nodes much smaller than Kethane did them.

I think that if you provided some support for super-concentrated but extremely local areas that would not be visible from space you would encourage ground exploration more than driving around for hours looking for concentration numbers to go up.

These concentrations might even be marked by ground objects like the procedural easter eggs Arsonide was working on at one point for Fine Print. A system like this would allow for mods to contribute all kinds of procedural rocks and geysers and everything else.

This just makes me want a tiberium resource, slowly replenishing if you don't remove all of it, deadly to kerbals :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

KSP modding really confuses me sometimes, I'm running into an out of memory a few hours in, so I look at what mods I'm not using and noticed I haven't really used KAX, I remove it and the game doesn't want to load, it's literally just a part pack with no dll. Loads fine if I add it again.

Though I really love this satellite launcher I've made, really shallow trajectory, just needs a 50d/v bump from the ion engine to complete the orbit.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

RoverDude posted:

Yeah I am seeing a lot of multi-drill rigs. So IMO the right answer is.. bigger drills ;) But also make some appropriate incentives to go small or go large based on the mission.

Also, you can still have multi-resource drills like you do today.

Until you make a drill that can pierce the heavens, you haven't made a big enough drill.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

General_Failure posted:

What I brought back from devnote Tuesday is that the tail of a plane is used for pushing the nose up. So a couple of minor revisions later and I have a plane with its wings nearly all the way back and an angled tail that flies totally differently to anything I've ever built. Holy crap! Thanks Squad!

Something that really helped me was looking at the different ww2 planes in warthunder and doing test flights to see how they flew.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

two_beer_bishes posted:

I'm watching the video on diverting an asteroid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ArwCbkgDk

What mod is he using that makes the antennas open and close (and aim?) automatically?

Those aren't antennaes, they're energy receiver things from interstellar

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Erectile dysfunction is no joke.

:v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Sucks how there's not a single life support mod that works on .90 :C
Guess I'll play Kerbal Drone Program in the meantime.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

For someone called flowerchild, he's an angry angry thing.

Also just had a brilliant idea for a mod, how possible would this be? It's mainly meant to mitigate long rear end burns.

make node>start firing>plugin calculates for say, a minute if it's stable, then checks if you lose sight of the sun in the case it's not stable if you're not stable without solar power>if everything is green, teleport forward in time to the point where you'd be when the node is complete.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Wish there was a tweakscale config for the fuckhuge B9 parts.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Rover's newest(?) pack has a bunch of nice claws, including a probe one.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

RoverDude posted:

I have one in the AMT pack.

The really flat claw with tweakscale is also really amazing, has quickly become my favourite claw

Mr. Wynand posted:

I'm on TAC-LS 0.10.1.1320 and it seems to work without any issue.

It borks up the menus for me after a while.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 19, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Koobze posted:

I've been playing with the version I linked and no menu issues.

I am however getting a weird bug where if I launch a ship that has multiple parts docked together, and then dock it with my space station, I become unable to go to the space center or switch to other distant ships using the map. And since there is no easy way to exit to main menu I have to quicksave and alt-f4. Very annoying but after one more docking I should be done with this station, hopefully.

That's what I mean by the menus borking.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

rmdx posted:

I had a similar bug until I uninstalled Kerbal Joint Reinforcement.

How is the game even without it, haven't played without it in forever, is it still pretty wobbly dicks rockets/planes?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, I'd really love a mobile set that's like, a really mobile tier that can only keep like two kerbals stocked or something, that you can use for like small rover bases.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Synnr posted:

I threw in MKS and USI (they are different aren't they, its all very confusing) with CKAN and I'm at the stage where I'm ready to move on from Kerbin orbit and visit the moons, do stations and so on. Is there any particular interface I should be seeing in the toolbar or whatever so I can make proper guesstimates about necessary materials so my dudes don't suffocate/starve/dehydrate en-route?

each part says how many kerbals it can support, so take the orbital parts, I think it says 10 kerbals.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

That's what I mean, the generators can only keep a max number of kerbals stocked per part, so your station is only as sustainable as your lowest number part.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Really wish there were MKS parts to support like one or two kerbals that aren't huge as gently caress, maybe reuse the square karbonite generator model for it? Would help a lot with making small outposts.
Would do it myself if I knew more about how to use module manager to make new parts.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

The larger landing can has life support tech?

Also can't seem to find the actual cfg for the generator in K+, only generator thing I can find it DRE stuff for it.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 22, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

If you have TACLS yeah, it carries food, oxygen, water, and you can add a couple of life support cans to boost it for more long-term living.

I meant self sustainability, not just packing a ton of food

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

They do, but they're insanely huge when considering that they supply like ten kerbals, and are like 2.5m parts, not really something easily portable for a mobile outpost that houses one or two kerbals.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

It's just bad memories about active tanking stuff in eve that puts me off having to actively do stuff for things like this :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

So apparently I forgot to close down ksp yesterday, good news, my mod setup is stable, bad news, my probe is now part of duna's landscape.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

After that thread dies down, someone should do a dramatic reading of the best comments :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I still wish there was a mod that added contracts/general support for contracts to be able to put stuff on the surface of planets. Like say rescuing stranded kerbals, refueling bases, hell even destroy objectives with bdarmory where they can fight back due to the automation in that.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Falken posted:

How do I karbonite? I tried using the scanner on a polar mun orbit at 110000 alt and nothing showed in map mode.

Since it's using regolith now, the release version of scansat can't track it, use the dev version.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I'm a simpleton that shouldn't be tinkering with nuclear stuff, what kspi engine would be best for a sethlan/SAFE reactor?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Splode posted:

Flowerchild's wolves mod had some sort of bondage and rape thing going on.

Do I want to know?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Another person that jumped on the starbound hate train without knowing about the nightly updates.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

A small launch vehicle and capsule is probably going to wind up much easier and cheaper than a space plane. But in answer to your question, anything with an active heat shield will be shielded from heat, and anything with the ablative resource will consume that resource for heat gained above ~600C.

The thing about the SSTO is that it's only gonna cost the fuel you use on the way, and hell, if you have karbonite you can just have a small rig next to the landing strip to refuel it instead of reclaiming it.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

:golfclap: I'm glad I'm not the only one who kept thinking that.

N/r: my sister is going to be an extra in the next season :dance:

My headcanon is still that jeb/bill/bob are prisoners used for testing highly unstable rockets, hence why they're always the first ones each career :v:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

fatman1683 posted:

Yeah my biggest hassle with FAR is that I've never managed to get MechJeb to do a proper ascent with FAR installed, it always overcooks the turn and the ship disintegrates. Flying every ascent by hand is pretty tedious, especially when you're starting a new save and have to do a dozen launches to get your RemoteTech network up and running.

max 20m/s accel, limit angle of attack, lowest possible turn start(think it's 600 something) has worked well for me.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I just have the automatic turn angle thing at the default with the bar dragged all the way to the right, it's something like 625. or something, and 5 degree aoa all the way up.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

As we've said several times in the thread by now, switch to the dev version of scansat, release ver doesn't support regolith yet.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I've found it easier to just sync their orbital periods.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Ratzap I want you to know that you've single handedly brought my successful rocket chance from something like 30% to something close to 100% with that thing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Did anyone ever get around to making a compilation of the female kerbal drama part 1 and 2? (valhalla era and the recent one)
Trying to explain the whole shitstorm to a friend of mine :v: