Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So, has anyone figured out how to do these experiments? (Kerbin Shores aside)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

What's hard about them? Build a nice low-power rocket and hover over the appropriate buildings/terrain features.

Oh, so they don't revert to "Kerbin's Shores" when you're a meter off the ground anymore?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Roflex posted:

Those would be EVA reports, not crew reports.

The main problem is whenever you're in the air above KSC it counts as "flying over shores" and not the individual buildings.

Yeah, when using ScienceAlert, there's the smallest fraction of a second when the toolbar flashes NEW SCIENCE, which I assume is the rolling command pod achieving the "flying over" state (much like the "EVA flying over" state). The problem is I can't click the crew report/EVA button on the active ScienceAlert menu to snag it before it goes away, and without action groups available, I can't blindly spam and pray.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So what upgrades/tech should you have in the new career mode before attempting a stable manned orbit?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

But some contracts are just not reasonable. It's okay to reject those!

I want to agree, but Gene Kerman keeps telling me it can be done.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hrm, something in my modlist is enabling surface samples when they're not supposed to. Anyone got an idea of the perpetrator?

Active Texture Management
    Community Resource Pack
    Crowd Sourced Science
    Distant Object Enhancement + default config
    DMagic Orbital Science
    Docking Port Alignment Indicator
    Final Frontier
    Firespitter Core
    K2 Command Pod
    Karbonite
    Kerbal Alarm Clock
    KAS
    KER
    Infernal Robotics
    MechJeb
    ModuleManager + ModuleRCSFX
    Planet Shine
    Procedural Fairing
    Regolith
    ScanSAT
    ScienceAlert
    Ship Manifest
    StageRecovery
    Station Science
    Toolbar
    TriggerAu Flags
    TweakScale
    Universal Storage + KAS Pack
    RoverDude Mods
    TAC-LS
    TAL Radial Experiment Storage Container

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I feel like reputation could be spent on the various part manufacturers, for stuff like better contracts, limited time cheaper parts, and contract type preference.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Count Roland posted:

Which frankly sucks, because I feel no sense of satisfaction on doing a mission like that. I usually just delete them on completion.

There needs to be a OMB Demolitions contract where you deorbit space stations into specific areas of planets/moons. MIR wasn't deleted, it was sent hurtling into the atmosphere like a viking funeral. Space Aeronautical Circle of Life.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

Indeed, RoverDude made a warp drive which translates you at extreme speeds without altering momentum.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100798

The only downside to Roverdude's warp drive is the engine noise is not 2001's Requiem, for Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, 2 Mixed Choirs & Orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z2mf0kjEP8

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've always imagined Kerbals fueling their space addiction with root beer.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hrm, would it be possible for a toolbar menu option to name the LS system fuels? That way I can rename Oxygen, Water, Food, Waste, and CO2 to Farts, Root Beer, Churros, Boogers, and Self-Doubt respectively?

My only other thought on LS systems is that most of what I've seen are just another measuring bar of how far you can go, like dV. Why not treat it more like engine fuel as to how much you can do? Different experiments eat up more LS depending on the complexity. An EVA attempt takes up a set amount of LS. SAS eats LS at a rate inversely comparable to the pilot's skill.

It would be a different aspect of mission planning, where you plan alongside "I need X amount of dV to get to Duna orbit, how much fuel and what engines" with "Okay, I'd like to do X amount of experiments, how many snacks do I need".

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I do wish there was an option to pick a current "mission", like "sub-orbital" and Kerbin" from a drop down list, which would then filter and populate contracts based on that mission selection. Dunno, maybe have a science and funds penalty, but have a reputation and cost-cutting bonus.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So thanks to the folks who wrote out how to intercept orbits for Kerbal rescue missions, managed to do 3 of those in a day. Managed to cut down some un-needed weight to get it juuuuust about right.

Basically, for laymen:

1: Get in orbit; and from the map, select the rescue as your target.
2a: If rescue is far behind you, make your orbit bigger than the rescue's so you can let it "catch up".
2a: If rescue is in front of you, make your orbit smaller than the rescue's so you can catch up to it.
3: Gradually make your orbit closer to the rescue's orbit, including inclination. This makes the actual rescue easier.
4: When the rescue is behind you and about 100k in distance, you can start fiddling with maneuver nodes that intersect the rescue's orbit.
5: Fiddle with maneuver node till one of the intercept chevrons shows a distance of under 1k. The closer the better. 0.2k is the best I've done.
6: Execute intercept, and use the bracket keys, "[" and "]", the ones next to your "P" key to switch to the rescue.
7: EVA the rescue and let go, go to map and select the rescuer vehicle as your target. Hit R for jetpack and fly to rescuer vehicle.
8: Climb inside rescuer vehicle and de-orbit.

Sub-Orbital Tourist missions have been a welcome source of income as well, though they're drying up now and want orbits or Mun/Minmus flybys. I'll have to figure out how to adapt my current Tourist Cab.

My question is how do you complete the "collect experiments above X altitude at hotspot Y" contracts where pre-high altitude jet engines can't reach, without having to succumb to a quicksave/load scumming sub-orbital rocket launch? I've come to realize that simply adding more air-intakes doesn't work, and attaching rocket engines seems to flip the poo poo out of my plane.

This is what I'm working with:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So far attempts to put rockets on my planes has resulted in either diminished returns (carrying rockets means I can't speed up enough for the rockets to carry me the rest of the way, or the plane can't carry them to the destination in time), or the plane flips over because the rockets bring the CoM behind/under the CoL. I've tried scaling back to a single seater, but that seems to exacerbate the problems.

I'm kinda stumped.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jewcoon posted:

Here's what I've been using. Level flight around 11k, can get up above 19k with the rocket.

The middle two fuel tanks have LFO, the rest just have LF.

Should I jam the nose up and brute force to 17.5k and above, or what angle of attack do you do to reach that? I suspect not knowing how to do that is part of my problem.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jewcoon posted:

The instant I enter the zone, I jam the nose up until its a vertical climb.

Managed to get up to 2 of the 4 >17.5k surveys, but the plane kept Top Gun flat spinning out of control once I hit the target.

Really, the solution was science scum the KSC biomes with all science equipment on a rover. Got enough to get the ram-jets. Poof: Problem solved.

Sad, I was trying to make something clever and functional enough to do contracts like that without needed ram-jets.

I wonder, is there a pilot skill that makes the rocket/plane level and balanced on the horizon?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Niven posted:

I'm putting together a small mod to add airplane cockpit style warning lights/notifications, sort of like:

Admittedly, I think of this when I see a full dashboard like that:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Alright, so new challenge of rescue mission. Orbit around Kerbin. Easy. But then...

Not so easy when the game doesn't show the full orbit of the rescue-ee.

I figure that far out the usual Low-Orbit tricks don't work, and it's going to have to be an orbit launch much like heading out to the Mun. Is this the right way to do it?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if there are plans to add a little music to launch phase Kerbin-side and atmospheric re-entry. After watching Apollo 13 again, it kinda make me yearn for it a little while making my own launches.

Maybe the standard fare snare drum and slow trumpet with baritones for the launch pad and low atmo, a fast snare and those flying rising strings for the initial launch for about 20 seconds worth, and choral with low timpanis for re-entry.

I suppose Kerbin-side flight and activities are usually filled with peoples' iTunes and Spotify playlists, and I've yet to make one of those. And I know it'd be a pain in the rear end to get the game to recognize a sandbox-y complex event and play the appropriate music, hence suggesting very specific events that always happen. Guess I'd like the game to go one step further to making "coming home" an event beyond the actual playing of it.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

revdrkevind posted:

Where's the medical science place that will invest in this!?

TAKE MY MONEY drat YOU!

Actually the UIC surg-path department was looking into making a video game about identifying cancerous cells on slides, teaching proper sectioning, and other various procedures. I was asked to fish around the Austin industry to see if there were any educational software folks that would bite, but UIC didn't want any part of the game to be remotely silly and/or fun. Surprisingly not, no-one took the job.

Medicine lacks a sense of humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

immelman posted:

What are these people thinking, take a happy pill.

Making a niche obscure early-access crowd-funded game means that a part of your audience are vocal, possessive manchildren who hate any development outside of their needs.

Honestly, I'm all for this new platform development. Seeing as it sparked a lot of education and enthusiasm for orbital mechanics mathematics, as well as enthusiasm for space exploration on the PC, I can see it doing the same for a lot of PS4 users who would never have had the chance.