Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I did one of the Kerbal rescue contracts with no upgrades to anything other than my launch pad and VAB. I have my orbit within 3k of the Kerbal, but I can't switch to him to get him over to the waiting capsule. Is there another upgrade I need to get him aboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Lansdowne posted:

I think it's within 2.2k, then hit the one of the square bracket keys to cycle to him.
Ugh. It was all I could do to get this close without targeting or a relative velocity display.

I'm pretty good at matching orbits by burning prograde or retrograde at the right time, but that really only helps half an orbit in the future.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Nevets posted:

First manned Munar mission in 0.90, get all the way there and realize I had somehow rotated two of my pods so that their landing legs are facing inward. Jeb's retrograde SAS and a nice flat landing spot let me touchdown at 0.5 m/s and still stay upright!
I gave up trying to use retrograde SAS to land. If I let me speed shift too far toward zero, the retrograde indicator goes crazy, the SAS tries to match it, and I find my ship landing sideways or upside down.

I'm getting pretty good with manual landing anyway. My only bad landing was the first manned ship with Jeb (the center of mass was too high, so it tipped over), but I sent him a rescue probe and have had a couple of science probes land since then.

I haven't even installed MechJeb in .90 and probably won't for a while.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I decided to install MechJeb to help with a couple of tedious tasks, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting it working. The last time I installed it was well over a year ago, on a different PC.

I downloaded the newest version (updated for .90) from Curse and extracted the MechJeb2 folder to KSP's GameData folder. Right now, it's the only custom thing in there, along with Squad and NASAmission.

When I start the game in Sandbox mode, I see two copies of the AR-202 MechJeb component in the Command & Control section. One costs 550, the other costs 750. They're otherwise identical, as far as I can tell.

I can add either one to my vehicle, but when I go to launch, I don't get a MechJeb window or button anywhere on my screen.

Am I missing something here? I remember setting this up on a very old version of KSP and didn't have any issues.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ratzap posted:

If there are two parts, you must have another install or config file somewhere. I don't know about the curse version, I get MJ direct from the authors site Try here. Delete the one you have and unpack the latest build from Mumech. See if that fixes it for you.
I deleted everything, grabbed the one you linked, and it's still doing the same thing -- even on a brand new Sandbox save. It's possible that something messed up my config files, but the only other mod I've ever had installed is Kerbal Engineer Redux, and I've never manually edited anything.

I guess I can uninstall and reinstall KSP entirely. Ugh.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Grand Fromage posted:

Motherfucker docking is annoying. Is there any mod to add autodocking that doesn't require sticking a part on? I already have pieces of a space station in orbit and have been trying to dock two of them for an hour and I'm done with this, it's not fun.
A bunch of people already posted solutions, but if you decide to continue trying manually...

Are you having more trouble matching the orbits of the pieces, or with the final approach and docking (getting the docking ports to line up)?

If it's the latter, are you using the translation controls rather than your main engines and rotation? Assuming you have omni-directional RCS ports, you can use the IJKL keys to move horizontally and vertically without rotating, and the H and N keys to use the RCS jets to accelerate forward/back.

You may already know all this, but I didn't the first time I tried to dock, and holy poo poo was it a pain in the rear end.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

karl fungus posted:

I'm kind of sad that you can't make an monopropellant rocket that can reach orbit. :(
That sounded like a challenge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

karl fungus posted:

Wait, what? How? :stare:
Everything I used is in the image. It's a single stage vehicle. The only mods I have installed are Kerbal Engineer and MechJeb (which I didn't use for this one).

Rockomax monopropellant tank, two of the oblong monopropellant tanks, eight of those little monopropellant radial engines, an OCTO-2, a small reaction wheel, and a buttload of solar panels. You can just barely make it into orbit.

Edit: I just realized that this is technically my first SSTO rocket. Too bad it's completely pointless and runs out of power within milliseconds of passing into Kerbin's shadow.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 7, 2015