Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Kilonum posted:

Last time I tried CKAN (an hour ago) it crashed any time I tried to use it to update mods

Did you get the latest development version? It's been working pretty well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Freudian posted:

Remembered to get the drat thing on a polar orbit, but even that seems to be doing squat. I feel like I'm missing something really obvious here.

Have you set it to display what it finds? If you're not using ScanSat, I think you need to right click on the detector and check "display karbonite concentrations" or some such thing.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Tippis posted:

Serious Jeb: Half:th Encounter?

Speaking of throwing money at Squad, I'd pay for this.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

robotsinmyhead posted:

There is a problem:

I flew a spaceplane up to a region where the contract people wanted some samples, had some trouble getting down and was save-scumming a lot. Eventually, I landed and went to EVA Munbro to repack the chutes, and he was cloning over and over 50ft behind the plane. I couldn't control him. The plane just sits there now, and things have gotten weirder and weirder.

KSP as an acid trip simulator.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Philonius posted:

It's a shame, cause I really like the notion of a slightly more realistic progression.

I would love a career mode were you start off with RoverDude's sounding rockets and have to work your way up to Sputnik-type probes and finally manned flights. Ideally, with RemoteTech style comms rules (plus allowing you to program nodes into the flight computer in the VAB). That would even be great for the stock game, though it's bot very compatible with the whole climb-aboard-and-light-it-up ethos that I love in KSP.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Main Paineframe posted:

Is there a timeline on when 1.0 is coming out yet? I know there probably isn't, but I really wish there was, because I'm not starting a whole new career game for 0.90 and digging up 0.90 versions of all the mods if 1.0 is going to come out in a month and break everything all over again.

I think the latest update said to expect a longer-than-usual cycle leading up to 1.0.

Ed: found it, from the Squadcast, as quoted by @KerbalSpaceP: https://twitter.com/KerbalSpaceP/status/561324354773204994

"Don't expect this one (the update) to go short. It's going to take a little longer...there is A LOT to get done." @Maxmaps #squadcast

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 2, 2015

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

DreadLlama posted:

How about, "Kerbol is expanding to a Red Giant. Moho will be destroyed in a decade; Kerbin in 3. Evacuate to Laythe."

This is just the wrong tone, though. It's far too serious and grim for a game about little green people who like to climb aboard any sort of ridiculous spit-and-baling-wire rocket contraption and seeing if it blows up or flies. I'd hate to lose the goofy vibe it has now.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Thwomp posted:

Laythe has been preliminary found to have lakes of beer/cheese/beer-cheese soup. You must colonize this world.

That's fine for a mission pack / DLC or something, but I like that right now it's just these little green folks, and they have a space program. There are contracts if you want something defined to do, but basically you make your own goals and set out to get there. What's wrong with that?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I'm sure I've missed this somewhere in the last 30-40 pages, but what's the current thinking on the best way to get MechJeb to play nice with FAR? I'd really like to be able to use the Ascent Guidance module to handle the dozens of routine launches I have planned.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

ragzilla posted:

MechJebFARExt? It's not perfect, but with AOA limiter and a good curve it should give you repeatable ascents (you'll want to edit the ascent curve to much start earlier than default).

Thanks, looks like that pretty much did it!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, that's fair. The only one I've found on my own is that AntennaRange is completely no bueno with RemoteTech.

That one you'd think would be in the spec files, given that the two mods do fairly similar things with the same family of parts.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Inacio posted:

Seriously, that one drawing of the kerbal with pink hair is perfect. So adorable, so excited. It should be the winner.

Absolutely. Even if that's not how Val's going to look in-game, you should find a way to use this as a loading screen, or in the astronaut complex, or somewhere.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Iridium posted:

edit- replacing my screenshot with Squad's official better quality, larger one.

Fantastic! Great job, Squad!

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Supraluminal posted:

Has anyone used Kibble as a resource name yet?

There's a station science mod that uses kibble (or was it "kibbal"?) as a resource for an animal module, I think.

Edit: remind self to refresh thread before responding. :doh:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Dalael posted:

Wait.... Surely Jebediah would not be affected by this right? Jebediah simply.. can't.. die... :colbert:

Absolutely. In Kerbal Space Program, Death lives in fear of Jeb.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

DreadLlama posted:

Is there a specific order in which mods ought to be installed?

You should use CKAN to install the mods, and let it sort through all of this sort of thing.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Warmachine posted:

I am 100% sure my Jeb died when he decided to jetpack around the Mun with no regard to the dangers of high velocity landings. So imagine my surprise to find him chilling in the astronaut complex after the three remaining crew (two from Jebs mission, one from the Munstation) return home.

How did he survive? How did he get home? :tinfoil:

Jeb is above such petty concepts as "death". If the player can't get him home safely, he'll do it himself.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
My Moho orbiter just refused to perform its orbital insertion burn, and I can't figure out why. I have fully-charged batteries, RemoteTech reports that the connection back to Kerbin is "nominal", and it starts the burn just fine, but when I need to stage to complete the burn, the command shows up on the flight computer window for an instant and then disappears. (There's about a 45s delay right now, but waiting that long doesn't help anything to happen.) Any other command that I try to give has the same results -- shows up for an instant, then disappears, and nothing happens. What am I missing?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Spacman posted:

We do that anyway because it's funny.

I just want to know if narrating random poo poo as per : http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/

is helpful or dumb for people landing first time.

For a first try ever, I'd suggest keeping the comments to a minimum until the ship's on the ground, and avoid any distractions that might contribute to a crash.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Concerned Citizen posted:

That's the thing that turns me off of KSP every time I play. I want to visit other planets, but it seems like I need to download mods or have a calculator open in a second window to make it feasible.

Well, that's the thing -- spaceflight is hard. KSP makes it a lot less difficult than in real life, but flying to another planet is still not an easy thing to do.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

nimper posted:

If you pack enough delta-V you don't need to wait for a transfer window :jeb:

Or putting that in an even more :jeb: way, if you need to wait for a transfer window, you didn't pack enough delta-v.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

2Jets posted:

I need some help with RemoteTech. What want to do is set up a communication satellite constellation, what is a good altitude to put them at? I have a pretty cool setup with a robot that loads my satellites into a spaceplane that I want to use for this. Check it out http://www.twitch.tv/2jet/c/6466750

This tool will figure it all out for you: http://ryohpops.github.io/kspRemoteTechPlanner/

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
That was basically my face when I read that 1.0 is only a week away.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Chev posted:

I can put pretty basic stayputnik rockets in orbit, haven't seen one explode, so I'm gonna vote "too fast" too. With the new aerodynamics it's really easy and tempting to let them ascend super fast.

This. If you're seeing the shockwave or heating effects while you're ascending, you're going too fast and should throttle back.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Val survived 52 g's last night when I popped the chute too early (at around Mach 20 or so). :toot:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

maniacdevnull posted:

All kerbals die. Not every kerbal truly lives.

Get busy flyin' or get busy dyin'

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Also, for the guy having trouble with Mun intercepts, you can use MechJeb's manoeuvre planner for a hohmann transfer, but then tweak it manually before you execute so that you can have your periapsis about where you want it, on either side of the Mun, in one burn.

PreciseNode is great for this, too.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Dammit, Jeb! :jeb:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Hremsfeld posted:

Even with the no-overheats cheat on: Is it actually possible to aerobrake on the Sun?

Yes, but only at night.

(sorry)

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

haveblue posted:

Some fundamental change that required a huge number of parts to be remade?

Well, they updated the engine to support 64-but mode, and had to rewrite most of the subsystems to accommodate that, so yeah

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Ceebees posted:

I do have Interstellar for trans-newtonian Alcubierre drives and masers microwave power transmitter arrays, but i have to say that a mod to harvest fuel from super-low orbits of gas giants would be pretty great!

Karbonite lets you do that, I think.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Spanish Matlock posted:

So the first set of landing gear don't seem to be able to support any amount of airplane. I am literally just trying to launch a cockpit, fuel tank, engines and wings into the sky and it's "overstressing" them. :what:

I had huge problems with this until I turned on the "angle snap" mode in the hangar. Having everything aligned correctly solved 90% or more of my problems.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Icon Of Sin posted:

My mechjeb is having the worst time trying to calculate transfer windows. If I tell it to make the burn ASAP instead of waiting for a transfer window, it's closer to the right time (but still not right on). It's updated (through CKAN, at least). Anyone else having this problem?

I am. No idea what's up with it, it used to work.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
For gently caress's sake, I was all set to download it this afternoon, put it off to do something, and come back to this. :bang:

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Baloogan posted:

is mechjeb for 1.2 out?

There's a development build that works decently enough

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Otacon posted:

As in, an Apollo-style lander? Unfortunately the only ones I've attempted recently used 3.75m parts to launch:

HOWEVER, looking through my old GPP save I found this:

It was far easier to just use an all-in-one lander using the command pod, a Rockomax X200-32 tank, and the Poodle engine.

For the lifter, a very basic asparagus staging (only 4 externals needed instead of the usual 6) using only Skippers works just fine.

Thanks for posting that -- looking at your first set of screenshots helped me to finally get an Apollo-style LEM/CSM combo working.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Cojawfee posted:

Did your station recently come in contact with protomolecule?

I need that mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
I mean, KSP1 was in an even worse state when I bought it, and that worked out OK...