Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

First manned Munar mission in 0.90, get all the way there and realize I had somehow rotated two of my pods so that their landing legs are facing inward. Jeb's retrograde SAS and a nice flat landing spot let me touchdown at 0.5 m/s and still stay upright!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

One of the biggest changes I've made since 0.90 is trying to use solid boosters as much as possible since they are so much cheaper. After I got Ion engines I spent half an hour launch/revert/changing a design that would let me put a probe in orbit using just one large booster, with no expensive reaction wheels or RCS, but seperatrons at 5% thrust to tilt the rocket over at the right altitude. I finally got the thrust/fuel/timing mix just right. Gimballed engines are for quitters.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

The Green Calx posted:

So I've got an interesting bug that I've never seen before. I was messing around, running around KSC with one of my mans, when I looked up to see these...things.

I backed out to the main scene and they were still there, so I figured I'd call it a night. If I had to guess, I'd say it's from the terrain scatters textures bugging out, but who knows. :shrug:

Bugs are fun.

Are you running a mod that adds clouds?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I would count any (space)plane landing where 50% or more of the parts didn't explode as better than average, regardless of whether they are still attached to the cockpit.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Vetitum posted:

I'm probably trying to go for a full on landing far too early on in the career as the launchpad currently still has a 18 t limit, that design looks like it would weigh quite a bit more. Back to grinding more visual surveys it is for now!

Launchpad lvl 2 is the most important upgrade I think, since weight limits are what keep you from using cheap SRB's for all your LKO needs.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm playing on moderate instead of normal, but it seems like your really don't need the reputation -> science strategy. I've got like 7000 science banked after stripping Minmus & about half the Mun, and the tech tree is filled out to the Research Complex lvl 2 limit, but I've only got about 2 mil out of the 4.7 mil funds to upgrade it. By the time I finally grind up the cash to upgrade it I'm going to be able to unlock every node at once, but have no money left to prototype the parts. I wish the Rep/Sci -> funds strategies weren't useless. They need something more like a 500 to 1 conversion ratio.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Supraluminal posted:

Alternately, switch from a part count limit to a craft budget limit, which could allow for more interesting tradeoffs.

This is an excellent idea. Either this, or make small/physicsless parts like lights, seperatrons, & RCS thrusters not count toward part limits. Right now with a 30 part limit you can get a kerman on the Mun, but you often have to sacrifice landing lights and RCS to get enough fuel tanks to do it, which doesn't really make sense.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

FuSchnick posted:

Mental note: Getting a 16t Zoology Lab into orbit within 140 tons (level 2 launch pad) is REALLY tight.

I have entertained the possibility of launching a disposable refueler/tug before my main launch, and then trying to time my main launch so that it crosses the orbit of the tug close enough to dock even if the main launch can't quite get to orbit. It just seems like too much work, though, when 20 minutes of satellite launches will get you enough cash to upgrade the launch pad anyway.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Anyone know why Tweakscale won't update the amount of fuel in my tanks when I change the size? Is there a known mod incompatibility?

My Mods:

Alcubierre Warp Drive (Stand-alone) (AlcubierreStandalone 0.3.1.0)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.4.7.0)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 2.2)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.0.9.1)
Firespitter Core (FirespitterCore v7.1.5)
Interstellar Fuel Switch (InterstellarFuelSwitch 1.18)
Interstellar Fuel Switch Core (InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core 1.18)
Karbonite (Karbonite 1:0.6.6.0)
KarbonitePlus (KarbonitePlus 0.5.2.0)
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (KerbalJointReinforcement v3.1.4)
KSP Interstellar Extended (KSPInterstellarExtended 1.6.1)
Modular Fuel Tanks (ModularFuelTanks 5.6.1)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.6.13)
Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.1)
Protractor (Protractor v2.5.1)
RealChute Parachute Systems (RealChute 1.3.2.6)
SCANsat (SCANsat v14.4)
Sounding Rockets! (SoundingRockets 0.3.1.0)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.10)
TweakScale - Rescale Everything! (TweakScale v2.2.5)
USI Core (USI-Core 0.1.2.0)
USI Exploration Pack (USI-EXP 0.4.3.0)
USI Freight Transport Technologies (USI-FTT 0.4.3.0)
USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS) (UKS 1:0.31.12.0)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 0.1.7.0)
USI Survival Pack (USI-SRV 0.3.3.0)
USI Tools (USITools 0.5.3.0)

Also running
KER experimental 1.0.5 build
Science Alert 1.0.4 build

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Just crunched a few numbers, if going to the moon was like a quick trip to the next town over (say 15 km) then going to Proxima Centauri is like a slightly less quick trip... to Saturn.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Taffer posted:

I've got a weird issue. I'm using KAS, and I connected two ships on the ground to transfer fuel between them. Like so:

I've had the same problem for a while now. EC transfers fine, but it doesn't seem to want to move fuel.

It's not as annoying as the eva locked controls bug, though. I think I've spent as much time restarting KSP on this last munar mission as I have biome hopping.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

https://youtu.be/bvim4rsNHkQ

Anybody post this yet? Confirmation at 0:58 that Jeb works at SpaceX.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Anybody else getting BSOD's on trying to hibernate/restore Win10 after playing a heavily modded game? I figure it's either KSP or the recent 'content' update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

illectro posted:

Nice.... although technically I’m not a wizard since I can explain what I do.

I can explain how transistors, integrated circuits, and microprocessors work; but most people's eyes glaze over until you get to the part which explains how to get their Netflix working again. If magic is just technology that is so advanced that most people can't understand it then physicists, engineers, chemists, etc. are wizards for all intents and purposes. The only reason we don't pay our modern miracles the respect they're due is that everyone born in the last 70 years has lived with the miraculous every day, to the point where we've given up on wondering how the magic happens and just want to know what it'll do for us.