Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I cannot for the life of me make a SSTO spaceplane with FAR. I balance everything out, all the derivatives are green, the AoA at takeoff is ~5°, the wheels are so close to the CoM that it will rock back on load, but I still cannot get it to both take off and actually climb. I've made jets that work (they're usually squirrely as gently caress though), but anything longer than 5m and heavier than 10kg just doesn't want to work. What's a good resource for buildin SSTO planes for FAR, cause "make it look like a real plane" hasn't worked :jebcry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Splode posted:

Show us a picture!

edit: here is my first FAR SSTO, though it's pre-porkjet so it's got the old lovely looking parts.

(B9 procedural wings)

This game loves making me an rear end in a top hat. Built those, and they mostly flew right. I didn't do anything differently and they decided they wanted to fly better. I don't even fuckin know :jebstare:. Can't wait for 1.0 to see how they're gonna implement a new aerodynamic model. Maxmaps, gonna Nth the praise for adding in lady kerbals, it seriously means a lot.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Ratzap posted:

1600 hours played since I picked it up on sale when it first came to steam - absolutely the best value for money I've ever had. I almost feel bad for having had so much fun from KSP and I only paid a tenner for it but then I remember Squad still haven't got their merch game together and it passes ;)

I don't feel guilty for the :10bux: I spent long before it was on steam, because I've bought and gifted 3 copies of the game to other people who said "I want it but haven't gotten around to buying it." I talk about kerbal probably more than any other game, and it's almost become the number one game in hours played (league of legends currently holds that spot because it's easy to put in lot of lifetime hours without realizing and I am a shameful goon).

Maxmaps please tell me I will be able to buy a Jeb and Valentina plush.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Inglonias posted:

You can't release in a week. That's... BEFORE final exams. Just before final exams, in fact.

I won't allow it. You can't do that.

Speak for yourself. I'll just be finishing my exams. Max is good people for giving me this end of semester present.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Nevets posted:

I can explain how transistors, integrated circuits, and microprocessors work; but most people's eyes glaze over until you get to the part which explains how to get their Netflix working again. If magic is just technology that is so advanced that most people can't understand it then physicists, engineers, chemists, etc. are wizards for all intents and purposes. The only reason we don't pay our modern miracles the respect they're due is that everyone born in the last 70 years has lived with the miraculous every day, to the point where we've given up on wondering how the magic happens and just want to know what it'll do for us.

I too am a techno wizard. I regularly joke that electricity is black magic (semiconductor physics makes no sense to anyone not balls deep in it), and that RF is straight up turbo voodoo.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Imagine a mass at the end of a spring, oscillating back and forth.......FOREVER

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Luneshot posted:

Honestly that feature should have been stock a long time ago. Sometimes you want to use a smaller engine, as un-Kerbal as that might sound.

BURN THE HERETIC :jeb:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

nessin posted:

I used to use the VOID addon to put small transparent windows on the top center right and left of the main screen that showed PE/AP/Alt/etc but it appears VOID hasn't been updated for 1.4. Is there another mod which can do something similar? I know something like Mechjeb or KER can give the same information, but I always liked the simple display that was locked and not using up more real estate than was necessary.

KER has options to put a lot of the information in transparent windows that you can drag around. IIRC you can trim down what’s in each block to be just what you want

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

CapnAndy posted:

e: Oh you're Scott Manley? Your videos are what made me want the game!
Sometimes it’s hard to believe Scott’s a goon!
:allears:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I didn't even play Minecraft when it's mod community was at its peak of terribleness (it's better now, how much better? :shrug:), but it was without a doubt worse than ksp has ever been. I really don't get why people don't start updating old mods. Even if you want to believe some sort of copyright exists......you have to actively protect a copyright, so if it's abandoned, it's fair game

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

They should be black though, cause that's what color solar panels actually are :bahgawd:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Arglebargle III posted:

That seems insane to me. The only way the planet differs from a point mass that I'm aware of is a) oblate at the equator and b) frame dragging. Neither of those things would make a big difference in a gravity assist and frame dragging is such a small effect that you have to have a carefully planned experiment to see it at all.

Planets very much differ from a point mass. Separate from the equator oblating you mention, high and low spots all over the body also create a gravity gradient. The gravity gradient is of more of a concern to an orbiting object than one passing by, though. And for planets with an atmosphere, aerodynamic drag. Both of these things are why the ISS has to have regular orbital adjustment, if there was no station keeping, it would fall back to earth.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

haveblue posted:

quote:

Fix Kerbal falling off the launchpad flagpole causing the flagpole to explode.
Why would they fix that? That's an amazing feature

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

NJersey posted:

I just can't get myself to start a career save before Unmanned before Manned works, just doesn't feel right to jump right into lauching kerbals.

Given everything we know about kerbals, just lol if you think they wouldn't just strap people to a stack of high explosives as a first resort

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Arglebargle III posted:

Hmm I installed graphics overhaul and while the clouds are pretty the ocean is black.

It's true color. It hungers for more kerbalnauts.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i managed to capture this close as hell call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLrP5I2TyuM

Always bet on Jeb

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Warmachine posted:

For some demented reason that rocket likes to flip end over end regardless of how many stabilizer fins I bolt on. Rather than actually figure out why, I just added more boosters reaction control wheels.

It's the :jeb: way

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i still have my original 0.8.2 install (released august 2011), i even fired it up a while back and posted screenshots of the first craft i ever made that could successfully orbit back then

awww yeah baby

I don't have any screens from that long ago, but I remember building back then exactly according to the adage: more boosters. All of my ships then were monsters made of staged solid boosters. The kerbal way.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

NJersey posted:

Anyone know of any streamers or people in the community that have a running mod pack/list that they keep up to date?

For instance, I recently tried out Minecraft, that only lastest a few hours lol, because I found out about the Mods packs on the twitch app, the RL Modpack or whatever it's called was just a one click download. I see KSP on the same page in the twitch app but it doesn't have a Mods Pack tab. So my question is, is there a site that has updated modpacks? I'm looking for a casual realism type modpack and if I have to go though CKAN adding mods one by one after another update I may just wait til KSP 2. Unless I get my self so inebriated I push through that pain and slog to get all the right mods working for the 14th time, lol.

Edit: Thought I might as well as everyone here too.

You guys got a list of the mods your using? Or anyone else for that matter...

I'm determined to get a good mods list to play and freeze my KSP version for a long time, it's about time I stick to a play through where I actually get past Mun and Minmus. lol

NJersey posted:

Anyone know of any streamers or people in the community that have a running mod pack/list that they keep up to date?

For instance, I recently tried out Minecraft, that only lastest a few hours lol, because I found out about the Mods packs on the twitch app, the RL Modpack or whatever it's called was just a one click download. I see KSP on the same page in the twitch app but it doesn't have a Mods Pack tab. So my question is, is there a site that has updated modpacks? I'm looking for a casual realism type modpack and if I have to go though CKAN adding mods one by one after another update I may just wait til KSP 2. Unless I get my self so inebriated I push through that pain and slog to get all the right mods working for the 14th time, lol.

There are no modpacks for kerbal like there are for minecraft, gotta individually choose the mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Arglebargle III posted:

a four star engineer

I one day aspire to be a four star engineer too, but for now I'm just a PFC engineer