Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I was in the VAB and somehow got stuck with SPH symmetry. Is there a hotkey I accidentally hit? How do I switch back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I like DR for the g-forces and the flaming bits that fall off your terrible spaceship. It adds more :jeb: to my game and that's always good.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Jeb does celebrity endorsements for Lightyear brand aerospace tires.

:jeb: "Get Rollin'"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Collateral Damage posted:

The picture where he's standing next to it... :magical:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

M_Gargantua posted:

Yes, He will decay then die, as long as you have him actively loaded. I'm pretty sure KSP doesn't model atmospheric drag for unloaded crafts.

Unless you can switch to a local craft, I don't think you can leave a ship in an orbit sub-69k. It'll just revert to the last autosave, won't it?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm just here to say how thrilled I am that Valentina is wearing an orange suit.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kerbal Space Program: Get Space or Die Trying

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think two resources would be more apt, like "air" and "root beer." Air is the sort of thing your Kerbals can't live without; it's a priority that you can't ignore. Root beer the Kerbals can go without for a while before they slip into a diabetic coma die.

EDIT: SERIOUSLY STOP WITH THE K THING

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

double nine posted:

I'm starting to push the x32 bit memory limits with the mods I'm installing. Is there a way to monitor how much memory I have left to put mods/parts/graphics in before the game sends a cease and desist?

edit: is it normal for the MK3 cockpit to not have an interior?

Yeah, the description says something like "IVA still in development"

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

quote:

Life support on 'Dongmaster 5000' is failing. Jeb, Bill, and Bob have drawn lots. Bill will be ejected in thirty minutes!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

So, what am I doing wrong here?

edit: hurfen blurfen I am bad at reading numbers. Thank you.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 25, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Zaran posted:

This goes for anyone that wants to know more about real rockets in general to be fair, we do like newcomers. Just don't talk about Buran :ussr:.

Not meaning to start something, but I have always been meaning to ask: what is the nature of the Buran debate/shitstorm?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Inacio posted:

The sheer variety of parts allows for more efficient setups, though

I miss KW Rocketry for the 5m parts and the fuel tank adapters. Does it work for 0.90?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

How do multiplayer mods handle time acceleration? That seems like a huge sticking point.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

What is the kerbal scale factor? Or factors, as it seems the parts and the kerbals are scaled differently than the astronomical distances.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Cthulhuite posted:

You know, I don't actually have any idea. I feel the need to load up the game to see if they have orange suits outside of IVA.

All Kerbals wear the white suit on EVA!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, a heat display/warning mod will be a necessity for this version. I'm certain there will be one within a week.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

God drat it Squad, why do I have to edit part files to make a release-version game work?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Is anyone having wonky SAS issues in this version? It's having a really hard time locking in, even in just Stability Assist mode.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I retract my previous bitching; you guys hotfixed the game before the workweek was out. You are a sexy, sexy team.

The PC Gamer review is 100% worth a read, if only for this:

quote:

Make no mistake, whatever you choose to do, KSP is a difficult game. It's demanding from the very start, and does little to handhold you through what are, at times, some complex concepts. Its challenge is very particular, though. There's no bullshit to the difficulty—no special cases or rule bending set pieces. Through its basis in real world scientific principles, KSP's challenge is merely a bar it expects you to match. It's not arrogant, vindictive or malicious. It just is. Design a top-heavy rocket with more fuel tanks than stability, and it will fall over and explode. You're not judged for this failure, you're just left to discover it. This is physics, the game is saying. What did you expect? Its logic is grounded and real, and thus consistent and always fair.

It's intuitive, too. Again, take Minecraft—a sandbox game that grew out of a similar model of paid-for alpha access. That game hides its crafting options under layers of nonsensical design that, without access to a wiki, would be impossible to know. Physics, on the other hand, is a real and observable thing. Even if you don't know the hard science or understand the formulas, you can often instinctively tell why something isn't working. One of KSP's many strengths is that it lets the science lead the design. Progression and difficulty all emerge naturally from the forces it simulates and the tools you're given to overcome them. It's a battle of thrust versus gravity; of aerodynamics versus drag. Science makes for really good game design, and KSP taps directly into that fact.

Kerbal Space Program: There's no bullshit to the difficulty

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Panfilo posted:

If we had the pre release version, we have to re-buy the post 1.0 version correct?

Nyope. Go launch rockets!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, this new aero has taken rocket launching from "harder" to "holy poo poo this blows."

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Splode posted:

You must be really bad at games.

Shut the gently caress up.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Dalael posted:

Dumb question here.. What does SSTO means? Is it a mod of somekind? I'm actually at a point where making a spaceplane is becoming more of a reality and I'm wondering if I'm missing quasi-essential mods for it.

Single Stage To Orbit, which is exactly what it says on the tin.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think procedurally-generated content for the surface of planets (preferably with sciency benefits) would produce some hilariously :jeb: results.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Looks like the Gamer's Edition Kerbal Space Program isn't gonna happen :smith:

Would buy those figures on their own, though. Everything else was "eh."

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Exposure posted:

So Squad made a new official mod for Asteroid Day. An infrared telescope that can be sent up to find asteroids, along with a new type of contract meant to reward you for finding said asteroids around Kerbin and other planets.

Does this mean that there are asteroids all around the Kerbol system now?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Tippis posted:

The-bit-above-ground-level-but-before-you're-really-back-into-outer-space.

Or is that not snappy enough?

Any jump is suborbital. "Do a sick jump with a height of 1000m and totally stick the landing. No trick poo poo like rockets."

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

What does it mean when an Aeroponics Module is reporting a load >100%? (USI Life Support.)

I've got a Kerbitat (at 94.9% efficiency), three Agricultural Modules, and two Aeroponics Modules. One of the Aeroponics as at 1530% on all three functions and the other is at 1638%. I have six crew on board right now (although I want it to support more). The system is producing Organics but no Supplies. Everything seems to be working so...what am I missing?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

This is what I could find, but it is...less than helpful:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Life-Support#usi-ls-flow

Like, the diagram would seem to imply that my Kerbitat isn't working, but the Kerbitat seems to be the only thing that is working.

Edit: Figured it out, you need a Greenhouse in addition. I think. I dunno.

Zurui fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 7, 2015

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I'm playing with Ven's Stock Revamp (literally the only mod on this install) and...what this gently caress is this?

It does it for most (but not all) of the size 0 engines on the little tanks. Any idea what's causing it? Is this a tankbutt issue? Pruning? Have I just gone mad from playing KSP too much?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Oh, that's...dumb, but workable. Thanks!

In other news, VALENTINA IS AVAILABLE AT SHAPEWAYS!

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Would a series of decouplers be able to provide enough force?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The fact that people still aren't synching their saves to dropbox for its version management despite all this is mind-boggling.

my workflow:
* oops something buggy happens
* close game
* open dropbox web ui
* revert persistent.sfs like 5 minutes prior
* reopen game
* continue playing
* don't whine about it on the internet

my workflow:
* ooop I read your post
* hey this sounds awesome
* I know what dropbox is
* I used it for sharing pictures until Google Drive got better
* how do I sync my saved games
* what is version management
* how do I manage version
* you can revert a file?
* I guess I will just stick to the alt-F5 method
* continue posting
* don't assume everyone has your technical knowledge

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Kerbal Engineer, of course. And/or MechJeb, depending on how much you enjoy automation.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

My PC doesn't have enough RAM to run Realism Overhaul with Real Solar System. :cry:

I am awash in a sea of stars and every one of them is a first world problem.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Is there a good way to prune out all of the non-RO parts? That is, without going through and deleting each and every one of them.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Walton Simons posted:

I'm still getting weird technical issues on this, worked fine on a fresh install with a few contract and QoL mods but I'm getting:

- Every time I start the game it think it's being started for the first time, asks me if I want to send data and the audio and graphics aren't set up.

I'm getting this as well. It didn't happen before yesterday. I'm so confused. The only mod I have is Kerbal Engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Sure, you can take the data, but you can only store one experiment per pod. It works okay with a scientist (do experiment, put results in pod, reset experiment, do experiment, return module and pod to Kerbin) but means that you really want to pack two pods to maximize the science you can bring back. I wish each Scientist could carry another experiment or something. Ugh.