Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
The contract for achieving orbit disappearing if you get into orbit before you accept that contract is kinda bullshit. Punishing you for doing well doesn't seem like a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I can't believe nobody ever made a mod to automatically turn off time acceleration when you're close to full parachute deployment or landing. Turning it back on after parachute deployment optional.

Edit: oh poo poo, declining contracts is great. I declined a bunch of fairly useless ones (test poo poo in flight for little reward) and got some much better ones right away: gather science data from orbit, test poo poo when landed. So hot tip: when you don't like a contract, don't leave it there but decline away!

uXs fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 20, 2014

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
50 science for testing a decoupler from the launch pad feels like cheating. (Still doing it.)

Edit: and now I can do the same test again for the same amount of science. This IS just cheating: I decline every contract that's not 'test this thing landed at Kerbin', and do the ones that are with a pod & fuel tank + the item in test secured to the ground with stability enhancers. Zero risk & cost, all the rewards. (Just make sure the stab. enhancers are above the item in test in the staging order.)

Now sure, static fire tests are a real thing and those contracts should definitely stay in, but repeating them for the same amount of science doesn't make sense.

uXs fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 20, 2014

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Carrier posted:

There is a mod that does exactly that! Safechute to be precise, its in the CKAN mod listing.

Exactly what I hoped someone would say :-)

Also: CKAN is the best thing ever.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Engines having directional control or not should probably be a property, having to hunt it down in the flavor text for that is kinda weird.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Ok woah. Everyone remember to turn off the "lock to retrograde" SAS mode before taking off again from the Mun. :stare:

I really think it should be possible to change the SAS mode without turning SAS on first.

I think 'motherfucker' adequately sums up my feelings on this issue.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
You know what else should really be in 1.0? An actual savegame system. Something that:

* has more than 1 slot
* tells you when exactly the save is from, both in-game and irl, with maybe a screenshot
* does multiple autosaves in rotating slots, that saves when poo poo happens
* has multiple quicksaves in rotating slots

The only thing that is actually useable right now is the revert to launch/vab system. Because it works and tell you exactly what's going to happen. The autosave/load feature feels more like some sort of black magic that does random poo poo that just makes everything worse.

(Note: if I'm bitching a lot the last few days it's because 0.9 is making me play again. It's really, really good, I'm liking it a lot.)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Anyone have a nice design for some rover or jeep I can drive around the KSC with? I want to gather some science data from all the biomes and walking is far too slow.

I made something with the HERP Jumpseat as the command thing and bunch of Packrat rover parts that works for driving around (even though it looks like poo poo because the seat has to hang from the front for easy entry/exit), but when I board it again I have to dump all the science data, making it fairly useless for gathering said data.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I see how the strategies can be kind of overpowered... 1300 science for putting a single satellite in Kerbin orbit is quite a lot. Not complaining though, I needed a lot of science.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Two questions:

Why is the Rockomax HubMax Multi-Point Connector so high in the tech tree? It's just a thing with 6 sides? I want to build up a space station with these interesting science modules I got from mods, but I don't have anything decent to dock them to. I could just dump some docking ports on fuel tanks but that's so loving ugly. Putting everything in one line is annoying as well.

What's an easy way to get all the money to upgrade the research center? Putting 10 stations on Minmus seems pretty boring.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

androo posted:

I took on my first orbital rescue mission last night. Just started playing again with .90. I took it mostly because I had just enabled the strategy to give %25 of my income in science points per 33 bucks, and was hoping I'd get like 400 science as an advance. Turns out you only get it on completion, I guess?

Anyway, the kerbin was floating around 99km-101km in a perfect equatorial orbit, so it was a lot like a normal mun launch. I tried to time it so I'd be close when he was passing but he was about 100km ahead of me when I normalized my orbit. I decided the best way to meet him would be to burn prograde at the AP to make my trip "longer" until, after a x amount or rotations, he would catch up. This worked great, however he overshot me and was 20km ahead as our paths crossed again. So I burned retrograde at the AP to pull my other side in.

What wound up happening was my slightly oblong orbit would have me overtake the kerbin on the inside, then have him overtake me on the outside, while I was praying we'd get close enough when the orbits touched (there was an incredibly small deviation, so the orbits looks mostly identical.) But every time one of us would pass the other by just a little bit too much (at one point he was 1.2km away. I realize now it would have been easy to just fly closer but I felt like any minor adjustment meant catastrophe for my orbit.) I had to keep making tiny, calculated adjustments to make our orbits very similar, but make mine either slightly faster or slower.

Finally (after an IRL hour) we made a perfect pass and I was able to take over the kerbin and jetpack over to the ship. It felt loving amazing to see the two objects so close in such an immense space, I honestly felt like a rocket scientist at that moment. However, I was still low on the tech tree and I didn't have enough room for two Kerbins in my MK1 pod. I let the new one in just to complete the mission but kicked him back out, and had him hold onto the ladder to see if he would survive re-entry. By tilting the ship I made it so he wouldn't slide off easily, but once we starting burning up during atmospheric re-entry he popped off and exploded somewhere behind me. Poor guy :smith:

Yeah, if you're that close, just cancel out relative velocity and burn towards him. It will change your orbit, but that has the biggest effect on the other side of the planet so it doesn't matter when docking.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Any tips on getting rovers to other planets/moons in an elegant way? I don't like having to hang them on the side of my stuff and poo poo.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Yeah I'm also looking for elegant ways to deploy them onto the surface? Single-engine rockets/landers seem the cleanest, but then where do you store the rover and how do you get it down? Or you could put it on the bottom and have two engines on the side, but that always makes for an ugly rocket imho.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

eth0.n posted:

I think it's a massive improvement. Most I've actually played it (rather than testing it, and my mod) in about a year. Lots of balancing yet to be done, which might be why it feels frustratingly grindy to you. For one, in-atmo part testing contracts are way too stingy for the effort they take to do. And I'd agree that the Stayputnik is excessively frustrating to use. As is the Octo2, now. With no reaction wheels, it means using an overpowered separate wheel that spazzes out the SAS.

Also, I still think the "single budget" approach is a mistake, and I think it contributes to that feeling of grind. If the game provided missions that were more self contained, it would be possible to have meaningful Funds limitations, without pushing the player towards grinding easy contracts for Funds.

But the weight/parts limitations are great. I'd like to see them start a little lower, and progress more gradually, but at the core, a great addition to the game.

I haven't done a single localized contract, mostly because they seem way too much effort to do with a rocket, and because I don't like planes in this game.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

BlueGrot posted:

The grind gets a lot more fun if you race to space planes instead of solar panels. Had a lot of fun flying around doing surveys and EVAs. Got an engineer to repack chutes so I can fly over an EVA point, deploy chutes, land, repack chutes, take off, rinse repeat.

I haven't really done any grinding and I'm pretty close to getting enough money for the final research lab upgrades. But I did use some mods for it:

* First some basic stuff, basic contracts and poo poo. If I'd have to do this again, I'd use the sounding rockets for some extra science.
* Putting satellites in orbits is a good method for getting early money.
* Deny all testing contracts in flight or whatever, but accept the ones landed at Kerbin and do them from a stationary testing stand.
* Get ground samples from all over the Mün and Minmus. You can do Minmus in just a few launches, the Mün requires more. I used the Scansat mod here to figure out where the biomes are.
* Somewhere around here I did one mission with a money => science strategy activated which gave me a shitload of science, enough to get all the science nodes below 500.
* When the contracts to explore the 'easier' planets come, accept all of them and launch probes everywhere. The thermometer can be used to fulfill every requirement - but you do need to be careful because it only works on the ground or in very, very low orbit. Used the Kerbal Alarm Clock to coordinate everything.
* The Station Science mod is great to get money. It's not too easy because you do need to launch some very heavy crap and you have to be able to dock with them too. But the first contracts are in the Kerbin system which means you don't have to wait for the stars to align to get to other planets.

All mods used:
-Docking Port Alignment Indicator. Oh god how did I ever live without this.
-Editor Extensions: place your Sepatrons right in the middle of your fuel tanks and then use the offset tool to move them for that sweet, sweet symmetry.
-FAR.
-Kerbal Alarm Clock. Don't leave home without it. Makes Protractor obsolete too.
-Kerbal Engineer Redux. I want all the info all the time.
-MechJeb 2. Why do anything myself when I can just push a few buttons and have MechJeb do it? Seriously, I let MJ do everything it can, I'm just there for when it can't. (*)
-Precise Node. For when MJ misses a planet by a few hundred/thousand/million kilometers. Also for the early game when you don't have MJ yet.
-Procedural Fairings. Hide all the ugly.
-SafeChute.
-ScanSat.
-Station Science.

*: Like my last mission when I had MJ do a powered landing back at KSC: I didn't have enough parachutes and it was burning at 100% keeping the speed under control. Early on it seemed that I had plenty of fuel left to make a safe landing, but about 100m above the grond I saw that I would run out too soon and most likely crash into the ground. So I did what any sensible person would do: disable the landing autopilot, kill the throttle, and restart the autopilot at the last second. Safe landing, on fumes!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Avenging Dentist posted:

I like Navball docking alignment indicator a lot better. It's got less UI but still does everything I need.

Not on CKAN. :(

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, no matter how close I got, I couldn't cycle over with those keys; I tried them incessantly at a bunch of different distances and it... just never went anywhere. I stayed stubbornly locked onto my derpy little drone pod with its open seat. Also: I was trying what y'all are telling me, and I couldn't make it work. Inserted into a pretty good matching orbit off launch; a degree or two off on inclination, periapse and apoapse about two kilometers high and ascending node about 5 degrees off... pretty good initial match. Waited for the ascending node to match inclination about as precisely as I can see- but I can't quite figure out how to see numerically how close- and then waited until my point of closest approach of ~15km and did a burn to bring the next half-orbit's approach down to ~1km. Once I got there, I waited until I was 2km off, pointed at the target retrograde and brought my velocity as low as I could- ~1 m/s just from the slight altitude difference I had left- and then painfully slowly pivoted to point at the target prograde, burn up to 30 m/s, spin, come back down to as close to 0 m/s as I could... only to find that I couldn't get back down to that 1 m/s difference! I'd hoped to come closer by stages of a few hundred meters at a shot, but that was a fantasy; the rendezvous target just slipped away no matter what I did. The tutorial I found on youtube, incidentally, was remarkably counterproductive; it showed a guy just casually getting into a near perfect match without having to make any adjustments, which, if you've got enough practice to eyeball it that closely, great but it's not really helpful to a beginner. So that's why I was trying what sounded a bit weird!

e: Yeah I'm still a bit frazzled/irate. Can I go back to manually doing orbital rendezvous calculations by hand now like when I was a grad student? It was easier on my heart. :v:

I find this weird because this shouldn't be that hard. So let's go through it.

If I'm following correctly, you get the closest approach point to 1km and from there it gets a bit confused. Let's start from there.

You have the closest approach showing as 1km and wait until you're 2km off. Perfect. At this point you should switch to the normal view, the orbital view is useless. It doesn't really matter that much because the only thing you need from the view is the distance to the target, everything else is on the navball.

Anyway, you should see the target & its distance somewhere on your screen. Make sure the navball is in target mode and not in orbit mode. (This is very important, you HAVE to be in target mode for this to work.) Point your ship retrograde and wait until the target is closest. This is the GREEN retrograde icon here, not the pink one. When your target approaches its closest distance, burn until your relative velocity is close to 0.

Some more explanations about this. What you're actually doing here is this: all movement is relative, so let's take your own ship as the reference point. Relative to you, the other ship is moving at, say, 30m/s. Your ship is O, the other ship is X, the arrow is a velocity vector. Your ship is pointing in some random direction (not drawn):

code:
          O

X ---------------->
When you point your ship retrograde, but before you actually burn, the situation becomes this:

code:
          O ->

X ---------------->
You're pointing in the direction the target is flying (relative to you). So visually, the other ship will come up below you, and move up alongside you, and (if you do nothing) will keep moving up and away. At some point the other ship will be right besides you, at 1km. Like so:

code:
          O ->

X ---------------->
At this point you will want to burn to cancel out the relative velocity. The moment you burn is when the other ship is right alongside, because that's when it's closest. You'll end up with something like this:

code:
          O ---------------->

X ---------------->
Note that it's not perfect, but nothing is ever perfect. It's close enough though. Now, you're both moving at more less the same speed, in the same direction. The situation can be redrawn as this:

code:
          O ->

X ->
Now, point your ship towards the target and burn. (The PINK icon this time, not the green one. But as you're burning, the green icon will come very close to the pink icon anyway.) You're at 1km away, make it 20m/s or something. Now the situation can be drawn as this (note: still not perfect):

code:
          O --------------->            
                                                 X
Or, when you see your own ship as stationary:

code:
          O ->            
                                <--------------- X
Flip over your ship to point retrograde again. (The GREEN icon.) Situation is now:

code:
         <- O
                                <--------------- X
And what do you know, we're back where we started. But this time with a much, much closer approach, and probably with a smaller relative velocity. Since you're closer, you should probably be a bit more precise, so as you're approaching the target, gradually decrease your speed until you're at 0m/s. Suicide burns aren't the way to go here.

It's possible you'll need to do this a few times. But you'll get closer each time and eventually you'll run into your target. (And then it's docking time which is a whole different can of worms.)

Just remember:

1) Use target mode on the navball
2) Point retrograde (green) and cancel out relative velocity when closest
3) Point towards target (pink) and burn
4) Repeat from 2) until mating occurs

Addendum:

I see now that one point you say you pointed at the target retrograde. It's possible that this is where you went wrong. You have to point at the velocity retrograde (green icon), NOT the target retrograde. If you burn at the target retrograde, what you're doing is pointing away from the target. Like so:

code:
     ^
     |
     |
     O

X ------------------>
So as you see, that's completely the wrong direction.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Mukaikubo posted:

That's the last time I trust a sketchy online tutorial instead of my own blasted instincts. "Why would I fire away from the target? Oh well, maybe there's a UI reason." No, it really was just that simple.

Of course, having to get within 250m (not 2500, for what reasons I can't fathom) before I could switch to the marooned Kerbal made things a little spicier, but that was no problem first try, launch, 1 burn to circularize, 1 burn to intercept to get within 1 km, one 30 m/s burn to bring me to 150 m with 0.1 m/s relative velocity, done. I feel really dumb now. :v: On to... *checks mission list* Building a station? Bugger that, I'm going to do a one-kerbal manned Munar flyby, and just so I can be the prettiest princess I'll do it as a free return. *grumble*

Sweet, glad I could help :)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I stopped caring about dV readouts, because just a simple amount of dV isn't good enough for me. I also want it per stage, and I also want TWR, apoapsis and periapsis, time to ap. and per., distance to surface, horizontal speed and vertical speed, ... basically everything that kerbal engineer shows.

So I might as well just use kerbal engineer.

Unless that becomes stock, but given the allergy Squad seems to have to showing numbers, I don't see that happening.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ToxicFrog posted:

Some of those are already in the game; Ap and Pe and time to both are shown in the map, and radar altimeter is available in most IVAs. They're just a pain in the rear end to get to.

True, it's shown. If you're in orbit mode. And the Ap and Pe points are in view. And you hover your mouse over them. Better hope your orbit is not too circular or they bounce all over the place.

Give me the Kerbal Engineer HUD every day of the week, at least I can see them all the time in every view mode.

Like, how the poo poo are you actually supposed to launch into a specific orbit without any mods? You have to go play chase the Ap indicator in map mode, fun! Hope you don't have to do any staging!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

50 Foot Ant posted:

Oh, having a fuel monitor on the Map screen would be a huge help. I keep having to switch back and forth to check my fuel.

There is a resources button in the top right somewhere.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I don't like the stock science part progression. You start with relatively big parts like goo containers and the science jr., and then later get small things like a thermometer, barometer, and the g-meter thing. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Edit: I'm quite in love with the station science mods though, those are great.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Does anyone here use the Orbital Material Science mod? I tried installing it through CKAN but I can't see the parts anywhere. I've used other mods and they all appear just fine, only this one seems to refuse to show up.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Maxmaps posted:

I hope female Kerbals counts as happily surprised!

Forum reaction mixed though!

Excellent.

I guess this is the point where I now ask about the administrators in the administration building. Any plans to make one (or more) of those female?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Maxmaps posted:

I braced myself for the worst considering the current climate and nothing has happened so far, so consider me really happy.

Flowerchild posted:

Hey! I resemble that remark!

In all honesty, I have no objection to the female Kerbals anymore. My original stance against them was based almost solely on a perceived waste of development time, but the more I thought about it, the more inclined I became to believe that if it made little girls feel better about themselves, and increased the chances they'd be interested in space exploration and other scientific fields, then it was entirely cool by me.

At a theoretical level I wish we lived in a world where this stuff didn't matter and Kerbals being androgynous would allow either gender to identify with them equally, but we obviously don't live in that world, so at a practical level I consider this to be a good thing.

I still do hope that Squad hasn't stepped into a big old pile of gender conflict with this which winds up causing more trouble down the road, but now that it's done, nothing really to do there but keep our fingers crossed.

Don't suppose you can expect more than this.

tater posted:

Looks fine. My daughter (11) thinks she's awesome.

And this is why the game needed female kerbals.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

DreadLlama posted:

I'm primarily concerned with selling the game to people who'll never play it and don't really understand why we need computers to begin with. KSP's merits speak for themselves if as long as the person to whom it's being introduced appreciates the value of spaceflight.

If you're some rear end in a top hat whose entire national identity is based off sticking to your tiny little peninsula and never exploring beyond the horizon, it's a tough sell. Right now those guys have the monopoly on what's taught to my students.

So what you need is not a translation of the game itself, but of the website? In any case, I doubt Squad has the resources to translate either into Korean. Maybe Maxmaps can hook you up with the infrastructure but you'll most likely have to provide the translations yourself.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

toplitzin posted:

problem is Once I enter the SOI, the orbit looks like this:

So I have to plan a maneuver node somewhere around the X before I bomb the Mun with my Kerbals.

Do I need to be disabling the auto-pilot and make a new maneuver node just before I enter Mun SoI?

Assuming that's a top-down view:

You want to either go more to the left to just avoid crashing into it, or to the right to make it a 'normal' counter-clockwise orbit. For going left, turn your navball thingie towards 270 degrees, or 90 degrees for going right.

It's really easy to do those adjustments using just the navball, you don't need maneuver nodes. Doing them right after you entered the SOI is probably the easiest, you get immediate feedback and it doesn't take a lot of energy because you're still pretty far out.

(Edit: you can also point at 0 degrees for going more 'up' and 180 degrees for going 'down'. Useful for getting the eccentricity down and for getting in the same plane as something else in the ascending and descending nodes.)

uXs fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 6, 2015

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Foodahn posted:

Anyone know how to hide or minimize Protractor? The menu is huge and it has no 'applauncher' menu type thing. According to the help menu there is a way to hide it but I can't see the button they're referring to.

Is there actually a use for protractor? I find Kerbal Alarm Clock does everything I need for launching poo poo to other planets.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Unimpressed posted:

Is there any way to build surface stations without unlocking rover parts? How do you get the different pieces together?

I've never built a surface station before, so I only have a slight idea of what to do, does anyone have a link to a tutorial that shows some techniques?

Thinking about this, it would be great if there was some kind of flexible docking tube thing. You could connect station parts together without having to have them touching other. It wouldn't really work in space because they'd still move independently; they'd either bump into each other or fly away and rip the tube apart, but for surface stations it would be pretty neat I think.

Or does something like this exist already?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Ok quick question: if I want to go to something and get into orbit around it, it's best to approach it as close as possible, right? And do my burn as low as possible? Because that will take the lowest amount of delta-v?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Luigi Thirty posted:

How are you supposed to do the "put satellite in equatorial orbit with these dimensions" missions? I'm .5km off and .1 degree of elevation off and it won't take it but that's as close as I can get it.

Are you flying in the right direction? Also turn off all propulsion, maybe SAS too. And time acceleration.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I know on an intuitive level how orbit transfers work, and if I could be bothered to look up the mathematics I could do the calculations too, but I don't see where the fun is in manually aiming my escape trajectory for an encounter with whatever planet I want to go to. I'll just let the computer handle that, thank you very much.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
How is auto-strut supposed to work? Is there a decent tutorial video somewhere? I can't seem to find one :-/

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ToxicFrog posted:

Kerbal Engineer displays all of this stuff in flight (and in the VAB).

MechJeb does as well, offers more customization options, and has an autopilot.

"MechJeb and Engineer For All" enables MJ/KE on all probe cores and pods, if installed, rather than needing to add an extra part to each rocket.

I'd also recommend picking up Better Burn Time and Navball Docking Alignment Indicator.

Also, go to the settings and untick "auto hide navball in map view".

This guy knows what's up. Kerbal Engineer should just be stock imho.

Lansdowne posted:

As far as other UI / utility mods go, Kerbal Alarm Clock is a must have, but also check out Waypoint Manager and Precise Maneuver, all available on CKAN.

There's another maneuver mod in CKAN right next to Precise Maneuver, check them both out and see what you like best.

I couldn't agree more with the original complaint, a lot of this is basic information that is hidden for no good reason at all. Altitude above terrain? Nah, you should just know how high this mountain is just by looking at it.

And not being able to stage in map mode is still dumb.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there an in-game way of seeing exactly what angle you have to another craft, relative to the thing you're both orbiting? I'm making a comm sat constellation around the Mun and I want to have them at 120 degrees to each other.

Right now I'm holding an actual protractor up to my screen but that's kinda dumb and also not as accurate as I would like.

edit: Ooh never mind, Kerbal Engineer has a Phase Angle under its rendezvous tab. Perfecto!

uXs fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jul 13, 2017

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I push the 'engage autopilot' button and press space.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

financially racist posted:

i mean, you do you, i just cannot fathom this being fun. i used to use mechjeb but stopped once i realized that it was just me letting the game jerk itself off while i did basically nothing. i find ksp a bajillion times more fun without mechjeb and would have likely stopped playing ages ago if i'd kept using it.

Sure. I guess I just like building the rockets better than actually flying them. The only things I do manually is things the autopilot can't do, like docking.

Well, that and managing the Kerbal Space Program. Contracts, making things that can do them, earning money, gathering science, creating communication networks, building space stations, planning interplanetary transfers, ... There's plenty of things to do besides awkwardly steering rockets into space! :v:

edit: also manually doing maneuver nodes is so annoying, I much prefer letting MJ generate them for me.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Well, 100% by you... I dunno. Did you get out and push? :v:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

SinineSiil posted:

I don't understand how they didn't improve the maneuver node creation widget at all before release. It's extremely awkward to use with overlapping elements, other widgets drawing on top of it and it often being too tiny to click on. And I've noticed lots of other stuff are unfinished/unpolished in this game.

Factorio devs are complete opposite of KSP devs. They didn't just stop improving the player experience and the level of general polish once their game got wildly popular. They are even visually overhauling the whole game with upgraded art style even though it doesn't really matter to anyone who is already playing the game.

There were overhauls of stuff though. I remember rocket parts being upgraded (with the old versions dumped in a shed somewhere), and the space centre changed quite a few times.

But yeah, there's some things that should be improved but aren't. I wouldn't dream of playing without Mechjeb's maneuver node editor, or without MJ's or KER's information (delta-v, orbit, surface, ...) windows. And the navball should _always_ be up by default, like why is hiding it even an option?!?

edit: Special mention has to go to maneuver node placement. Dragging the little handles can at least be done with some semblance of finesse, but changing the position/timing of a node with stock controls is just outrageously terrible. Words cannot bescribe how bad that is.

uXs fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I dunno, I had to add fins in the beginning when I didn't have MJ because stuff kept flipping out. But after getting MJ on everything I don't have to do that anymore.