Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Pff maneuver nodes, patched conics, who needs 'em. This was basically just my incredibly half-assed attempt to see if I could still do a blind Mun run. I got into my first orbit, noticed I had way too much gas left. So I did the good ol' wait for moonrise over Kerbin and hit the gas til you get an orbit intersect. I swear it's easier if less precise than planning out a burn beforehand.

Jeb did have to wait around in space for about 3 days to get back to Apoapsis to have enough fuel to actually get back to the Mun though cause it was an ugly exit orbit.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Luckily I noticed the Stayputnik lack before I actually did a mission with it.

The thirty limit is pretty brutal though with how expensive the VAB's first upgrade is compared to the pad upgrade and mission quantity upgrade.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Does going EVA in an orbit seem particularly deadly recently? I just got out to do an EVA while orbiting the moon and Jeb fired off at a pretty good clip. To add to the fun his rocket pack refused to turn on for about 15 seconds because I guess he was flagged as out of control or something.

Also tends to kick the ship into spinning.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

For anyone fighting with plane controls its really worth it to shove in a 360 controller at the minimum if you have it. Handles so much easier that way.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

And to make a minor liar out of myself, I still can't fly for poo poo at over about 18k altitude because the instant I try to do the slightest turn at 600+ m/s at that height it becomes a constant battle to keep my plane in a straight line because it just keeps wobbling all the gently caress over the place.

Any pro tips/designs on high altitude planes? These visually check X spot missions are worth a lot but a pain in the rear end to do because of instability at height and speed.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I am not using FAR.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Haha jesus did I just get offered a ridiculously brutal mission. Solar orbit of 60' inclination, 3 billion mile apoapsis, 3 million mile periapsis. And on top of that it wants it the pe/ap in certain locations. Bring out the NASA mission planners for that one. Worth half a million!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think my biggest in game request would be a maneuver node editor that doesn't feel like punching myself in the dick when doing orbital transfer planning without having to use MechJeb or another node editing mod.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Been a succesful two nights of Kerbaling for me. Finally getting planetary transfers down thanks to Illectro. Did duna with a probe lander last night. Today was a more ambitious trip to Eve. Still probe only, but I had a six mini probes clustered around a 7th one. One goo container, materials bay, temp, and barometer each. Worked wonders. the second chute was totally overkill but I had no idea how much the gravity was going to counteract the pea soup of Eve. not a total waste, can use them to cut horizontal speed with the first, then land with the second.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure I don't know the meaning of the word overkill. 7500 thrust on a single orange tank. That thing goes off like a bat out of hell. When I just had a single tank instead of two I was at 8300M in 19 seconds. The new offset system is wonderful.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

This is the most what the christ ship I've made that technically flew

Only screen shot I have of it, probably because it took about three hands to pilot.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Basically to see if i could. If I remember right the cockpit was sideways because keeping the forward thrust from flipping the whole thing end over end was much easier if they were above and below the cockpit. I'm...not fully sure on the engines front and back. Maybe just for "precise" front and back :v: That was from months to a year ago.

Edit: oh hey a screen of a less ridiculous version flying.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 23, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Clearly that is way too complicated.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1SSHWM_phU

Also you should watch that video. It's how I succeeded in interplanetary flight.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Luckily there is a fair deal of slack for gross inefficiency in the system at least.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Holy poo poo balls did I accept the worst satellite mission ever. Western orbit with both ap and pe on Munar SOI.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

If this mission is possible the window to do it is so excruciatingly small I've given up.

edit:

Is what it wants me to do. I end up getting an encounter usually 30' after the AP or PE I set correctly or about 30' before the other end throwing me off before I can actually get an orbit set. And yes, that is a backwards orbit heading towards the moon it wants me to do.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 7, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Mukaikubo posted:

Well, those are a pair of fun glitches.

Tried to do a rescue mission. Launched an empty Mk1 command pod with a probe brain driving. Everything went smoothly until the rescued kerbal grabbed the ladder, and then she couldn't board because my pod was full! I checked, and sure enough, my command pod now had... a copy of the rescued kerbal sitting inside it, with the terrified rescuee still clinging to the ladder.

I didn't get credit for bringing her back.

Also I am now getting stuck on the launchpad 'every single time' if I don't use a stability assist, instead of 'sometimes'. I think I'm going to let myself get my new computer up and running and completely reinstall and think hard about whether or not mods are 'worth it', because ever since I just installed Engineer, Scansat, and the mods CKAN wanted me to download with it my game's been a super-buggy mess where completing any contracts is a matter of sheer luck. :(

edit: hahaha, now the explore the mun contract doesn't accept that I am in fact orbiting the mun. Fantastic.
edit2: nope, I guess that doesn't count as transmitting scientific data from the space around the mun. Also fantastic.

do you have patched conics yet? If not it may show you as in Mun orbit but you are actually going to escape back into Kerbin SOI if your inner ap/pe is too high.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'd imagine some kerbal streamer/youtuber is going to go "Hey that's my video!"

Alaan
May 24, 2005

frank.club posted:

I was trying to do this in a docking bay but it seemed to just merge, I never had an option to undock

Be careful when connecting them together. They have two slots of overlap. One is proper connection, one it goes too far and turns into a solid part. If you can you want a view from the side and slowly move the second dock towards the first. at some point it should snap on to the other.

Edit: https://twitter.com/Maxmaps/status/588707536993320962

@Maxmaps: Get ready KSP fans, the #KerbalCountdown will begin today. More to come later.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 16, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

@KerbalSpaceP

Kerbal Space Program's launch comes with a chance at a secret prize! Tweet your most #Kerbal picture ever using #KerbalCountdown to enter!

Some sort of contest for screenshots tied in with whatever else Kerbal Countdown will entail.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Next update is official release.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

2Jets posted:

Jeb cant fit out of the hatch Its like the first Russian space walk.

I had a similar circumstance lead to a very :jeb: rescue. Helix 2 capsule is on a path to deorbit. It is going to land well behind KSC and I have a set of sepatrons on there. "Why, I'll just hit these buttons and land closer to KSC!" Which of course fired me back into an eccentric orbit because god drat do those sepatrons have some kick.

So, Helix 3 gets a probe core shoved on and fired to rescue Helix 2. Rendevous, switch to Helix 2. My kerbal can't get out. The door is jammed by the goddamned sepatron that got me into this mess in the first place. gently caress.

SOLUTION:

So I flew up, maneuvered Helix 2 in the cradle. CAREFULLY aimed retro, put it on a deorbit path, rocked it loose which took a little bit more doing than I would have wished, reorbited the rescue craft, switched back to Helix 2 to control it before it cratered.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Unimpressed posted:

What? No Kerbal Alarm Clock or Precise Manoeuvre nodes? Or are they in the new version and I missed it?

They have a built in alarm clock system now. I have not heard about maneuver nodes but Scott Manley says there is a pile of quality of life changes so maybe?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Apparently the change log is 4 pages of 8 pt. courier. No details on if it is single or double spaced :v:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Musluk posted:

Did Squad actually add a proper dV tally in there somewhere yet? Because that's at least 1 less mod for me. But even then my installs will have quite a few mods in them - Scansat, science alert, rcs build aid, editor extensions, transfer window planner, etc.

Just idling in VAB will fill up your ram and start dropping your framerate before crashing anyway, so no need for a specific multiplayer mod for that experience :v:

And lastly, apparently there was a squadcast and it kinda got canceled. Seems there's serious crunch time just 2 days before release.

Pretty sure they said that you will be able to see dV in game now without any mods. Though I don't know if that is in flight or just the hangars.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Apparently the final new part count is something like 35 according to Maxmaps.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Scott Manley confirmed that atmsosphere is far more...FAR like. Thinner and faster, so slowing down without them is a real pain. Also KSP TV should be streaming some 1.0 on twitch this weekend.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqLFt-bgHhQ

1.0 Cinematic trailer.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

You are right! It is not official. I snagged it off the KSP twitter and hadn't actually looked closer.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Dalael posted:

I bet I could get to Eve and Duna.. But I sure as hell can't land and take off from them. I managed to land and come back from the mun maybe once or twice, but most of my attempts resulted in hilarious explosions that created many widows on Kerbal.

Eve is hilariously easy to land on actually provided your lander isn't that heavy(high gravity can crunch your lander legs if they aren't sturdy enough). The atmosphere is crazy thick so chutes work great. Getting back UP is the hard part and one of the most challenging things to do in Kerbal. Duna is easier than a Mun landing but harder than Kerbin landing. Your chutes don't work that great but they are good enough to arrest your horizontal motion so you can just use your engines to slow the final touch down without flailing around. Leaving it is not too bad because thin atmosphere and low gravity.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Luneshot posted:

That hour-long preview video is really nice and gives a great overview of everything new. Something I noticed that wasn't mentioned- the parachutes open slower now! Finally!

Got a link?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think spacex was actually planning on using asparagus originally with the falcon heavy but ditched it due to engineering problems.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

double nine posted:

Meh, I've done the same with FAR. Stock turbojet engines are insanely powerful. The problem isn't getting into space, it's getting into space without half your rocket breaking apart due to stress.

He didn't quite manage part two.

Also laughing at him getting yelled at for drinking beer and talking about it on KSPTV.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Platonicsolid posted:

Wouldn't that only be necessary if they added solar heating?

Apparently the NERVA is really loving hot now and will explode adjacent parts if you run it at 100% in space.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah right now you can only see temps on non-engines through the debug menu. So it's a bit ??? until something goes BOOM.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It doesn't seem to be TOO awful watching Scott Manley's stream. He was doing 2 minute burns with no issues. Was it attached to a 1.25m tank when you guys saw it going kaboom? The bigger tanks might diffuse it fine but not smaller ones.

Edit: Fixing my mockery of english.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 26, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Aaaaaah hour forty five left at work. Then two days off though

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Heat shields are overrated(Holy poo poo are engines tough)

I could have landed the whole thing except I forgot I had moved the decoupler in case of emergency and the bottom flew off into the ocean at mach 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Holy crap is this dinky little piece of poo poo a blast. It can do a full loop in ~150m and keep going full throttle, turns 180 on a loving dime.