Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

eth0.n posted:

Second tier of Tracking Station, plus second tier of Mission Control.

I'm beelining for those personally, because oh my god I'm going nowhere without maneuver nodes and patched conics. :gonk:

Rockets are gonna be a mite lightweight for a while as a result, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nielsm posted:

Yes. You can trigger your chutes way outside the atmosphere and they will automatically half-deploy when your craft hits the atmospheric density configured for each one, and full-deploy when you reach the radar altitude configured for each one.
There is usually never any reason to manually time your chute deployment, just let the game do it for you.

Can I assume this doesn't apply under mods like NEAR and/or Deadly Reentry? :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I was disgruntled about that, too, but when I looked in the Tracking Station, I found that all survey contracts on offer are displayed.

Doesn't seem to show where KSC is, though. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Under NEAR/FAR, are wings just a Bad Idea for rockets intended to get the hell out of the atmosphere? I see them on other people's creations but whenever I add them (no matter where--booster stage, main stage, whatever) it just makes a giant flippy mess.

On a semirelated note, all I've got left for contracts are a million tests (UGH) and one 'land and survey these three spots' contract. Before I've got anything to land and take off again on Kerbin with. :suicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CKAN keeps listing NEAR in my 0.90 mod listing, but when I launch KSP it whines that NEAR is incompatible. What gives. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

The AVC compatibility check has been broken and useless since it was implemented. Ignore it,

There an easy way to tell if NEAR is actually working, then? The atmosphere feels as soupy as ever.

(edit) Put a pod on the starter booster, should have gotten to insane speeds almost right away but got stuck at 200m/s for a while. Definitely not working :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

They're disgusted by your flagrant abuse of procedural fairings :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my god I can not figure out how to make planes that work/can even take off either in stock or FAR. :cry:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jackson Taus posted:

I can't figure out how to land. I've got a basic trainer design from some forum, and I can take off and eventually head in the right direction, but landing is a one-in-five thing for me.

That's what I'm working on now, too, for those survey missions that require an EVA report. I can get down to below 80m/s but that's all i can manage, and that's just not slow enough for uneven terrain. I'm sort of buggered.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does anyone have any advice on doing EVA surveys on Kerbin? I can take off and fly planes fairly reliably now but landing on my wheels without rocking to the side and breaking a wing is still nightmarishly impossible.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tenebrais posted:

Put your landing gear on your wings. A wider footprint makes it much harder to tip over.

gently caress why don't I think of these things. Thanks, mission accomplished :suicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Any good "make KSP really really pretty :3:" mods in CKAN yet?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The little matryoshka doll on my desk just started screaming :gonk:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do I have any realistic hope of launching Station Science stuff when I don't have access to 2.5m engines/tanks yet?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

karl fungus posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm doing orbit entirely wrong. How do all of you get to Kerbin orbit in the most efficient way possible?

Assuming you're playing stock, and without getting mired down in TWR/dV for the moment:

1) Launch straight up to 10km
2) Heel right (east) to about 45 degrees
3) Open your map and pull up the navball, mouse over your apoapsis (AP on the map), do as follows:
- If apoapsis is less than 45 seconds or so away, keep your current angle of attack (or increase it if necessary, i.e. you're too heavy/slow to make it to 70k)
- As it approaches and goes above 45 seconds away, continue heeling over to the navball horizon; you should probably be aimed at the horizon near the end
- Cut engines soon as your apoapsis gets to 75-80k (hit X)
4) Set a maneuver node at apoapsis, pull it prograde until your predicted orbit circularizes (predicted apoapsis and periapsis will start to switch places at this point)
5) Follow that maneuver node
6) Grats you're in space
6a) Send a rescue mission for Jeb because you ran out of fuel, oops

edit youse all motherfuckers :argh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

karl fungus posted:

Thanks everyone! Like a complete idiot I was just going straight up past the atmosphere and not even turning until I was in space. :downs:

Yep, fighting gravity should be done as little as possible, since it uselessly wastes energy. Riding perpendicular to it lets it pull you in a circle instead.

In fact, the only reason we all say fly to 10km before heeling over is that the lower atmospheres in stock KSP are an incredibly thick pea soup. If that's overridden--say by taking off from an atmosphere-free body, or by using FAR/NEAR mods--you start heeling over almost right away for efficiency.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kilonum posted:

also grab BTSM when it gets updated for 0.90 (which is going to be awhile, as it is basically a re-write of the career)

Please do not support FlowerChild mods :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:stonk:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone gotten that Astronomer's visual pack working in 0.90? I've tried all sorts of iterations of the steps in the zip file, and while the game LOADS okay, anything with an atmosphere looks... odd:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

In this context enabling patched conics means "you can now see what will happen after SoI changes a few steps ahead"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I want to use the nuclear rocket now that I've unlocked it, but the thing is too damned long to use any of the landing legs with. Any suggestions for designs to work around this?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good ideas all on the NERVAs, thanks. :)

I've gotten over my Thing for Procedural Fairings but I still feel vaguely cheaty making wide payloads and still making it through a FAR atmosphere just 'cos it has a skin around it. Rockets keep ending up looking like top-pointed hourglasses or something. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Alternate solution: cover the plains with dangerous boulders. :getin:

Boulders? Balls to that; when you start a new game, randomly seed the area around KSC with debris that you can't destroy from the tracking station. Some of it still smoking perhaps.

You don't think you're the FIRST guy to run the Kerbal Space Program, do you? :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Edminster posted:

It's been fairly thoroughly answered now but there's also the fact that KSP's atmosphere is basically a soup, and if your TWR is too high too low you're wasting fuel trying to go faster than the air can move aside. If you're launching conventionally and you're seeing mach effects / re-entry heating, you're going way too fast and wasting fuel.

I know this is about stock, but in my experience under FAR, it's less "wastes fuel" and more "oh god i went up to one degree AoA and am now spinning horribly and my rocket's shearing apart, send help :supaburn:" :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also Maxmaps whoever had the idea to make the little sandstone kerbal statuette thingies, please give him/her a medal

best christmas ever

i wonder what those guidance lightsticks taste like

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just want to make sure of something before I go on another modding spree. MKS is meant to be an addon to TAC-Life Support, right? In other words if I don't want to deal with TAC-LS, MKS is more or less pointless except as a source of pretty parts?

While I'm at it, can anyone explain in simple words how things like ORS, Community Resource Pack, Regolith, etc. relate? I wanted to install Karbonite, EPL, and a couple other mods I've never tried and I got dragged into a mire of terms :confused:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks for the explanations RoverDude, I think I got it now. I might just install the whole shebang--TAC-LS included--and give it all a go. Just know I'm gonna starve/freeze some poor kerbals to death though :ohdear:

... though I'm gonna do all this in Sandbox, I think. Might be integrated with career just fine, sure, but I think I'm well done with the game-y part of the game, it's time for the 'loving around' part :v:

(edit) oops, TAC-LS isn't in CKAN :mad:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 3, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

pre:
 Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 347F-6959

Directory of C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData

01/03/2015  09:10 AM    <DIR>          .
01/03/2015  09:10 AM    <DIR>          ..
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          000_Toolbar
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          000_USITools
12/28/2014  07:33 PM    <DIR>          ActiveTextureManagement
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          AviationLights
01/03/2015  09:07 AM    <DIR>          CC_Contracts
12/28/2014  06:37 PM    <DIR>          Chatterer
12/28/2014  06:37 PM    <DIR>          CoherentContracts
12/28/2014  06:37 PM    <DIR>          CollisionFX
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          CommunityResourcePack
01/03/2015  09:07 AM    <DIR>          ContractConfigurator
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          Contracts Window
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          DeadlyReentry
12/28/2014  06:37 PM    <DIR>          DistantObject
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          Firespitter
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          KAS
01/01/2015  05:50 PM    <DIR>          KerbalEngineer
01/03/2015  09:01 AM    <DIR>          KerbalJointReinforcement
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          KerbalStats
12/28/2014  06:37 PM    <DIR>          Kerbaltek
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          MagicSmokeIndustries
01/03/2015  09:10 AM                 0 mods.txt
12/28/2014  06:37 PM            49,152 ModuleManager.2.5.6.dll
12/30/2014  06:35 PM           789,331 ModuleManager.ConfigCache
12/30/2014  06:35 PM               122 ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
12/28/2014  06:34 PM    <DIR>          NASAmission
12/28/2014  08:51 PM    <DIR>          NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicator
01/03/2015  09:01 AM    <DIR>          NavHud
12/28/2014  06:37 PM    <DIR>          NEAR
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          NothkeSerCom
12/28/2014  07:28 PM    <DIR>          PlanetShine
12/28/2014  06:37 PM    <DIR>          PreciseNode
12/28/2014  06:37 PM    <DIR>          ProceduralFairings
01/03/2015  09:05 AM    <DIR>          RCSBuildAid
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          Regolith
01/03/2015  09:07 AM    <DIR>          RemoteTech
12/28/2014  06:37 PM    <DIR>          SCANsat
12/28/2014  08:52 PM    <DIR>          ScienceAlert
12/28/2014  06:37 PM    <DIR>          ShipManifest
12/28/2014  06:34 PM    <DIR>          Squad
12/28/2014  06:37 PM    <DIR>          StationScience
01/02/2015  10:01 PM    <DIR>          StockBugFixModules
12/28/2014  07:28 PM    <DIR>          TextureReplacer
01/03/2015  09:10 AM    <DIR>          ThunderAerospace
12/28/2014  06:37 PM    <DIR>          TriggerTech
01/03/2015  09:07 AM    <DIR>          UmbraSpaceIndustries
01/03/2015  09:04 AM    <DIR>          WombatConversions
               4 File(s)        838,605 bytes
              45 Dir(s)  62,091,628,544 bytes free
Enough mods, you think? :shepicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Were you able to get that EVE stuff working in 0.90 then? No matter what pack I try I just end up with white and red blobs for atmospheric objects :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is three satellites in geosynchronous orbit sufficient for 100% coverage around Kerbin under RemoteTech? If so, what antennas/dishes should I use (I'm guessing one 5Mm omni and one dish of some sort)? Do they have to be geostationary or is geosynchronous sufficient/better?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 3, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does anyone know why some parts seem to get 'stuck' in mid air on launch? I'm trying to launch RemoteTech satellites but some piece in mid air seems to get stuck. Usually staging off a decoupler fixes it buuuuuut that doesn't help when that detaches my launcher :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Can ScanSat display karbonite deposits that get found? I've got a satellite with multispectral and karbonite sensors at 100km polar, and the big map only displays a bunch of "Anomaly"s; are these karbonite concentrations or something else?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RoverDude posted:

Weird. Screenshot?

Also - to the person who asked about Karbonite and SCANSat - be sure to use 9.4+

Thanks, I updated SCANSat to the latest indev version. I can mouseover my SCANsat map for karbonite concentrations, now, but there's still no graphical display--when I select Karbonite under Resources, the map just loses contrast, as though it wants to draw something but there's nothing to draw.

:shrug:

(edit) here: https://gfycat.com/SoulfulOddballGoose

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 5, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

On the other hand too much available torque can make the poor ship very very jittery under SAS, and difficult to control entirely in atmo under FAR/NEAR. Learned that lesson many a time :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm imagining the VAB/SPH music playing on loop on a SpaceX factory floor and some workers being most confused. It amuses me :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Dealing with command delays in RemoteTech drives me loving barmy, and that's still giving me a realtime view of where my craft is. I can't even imagine having to deal with 10m+ delays on, like, Mars rover commands and telemetry :psyduck:

(was it ten minutes? I forget)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've installed MKS, EPL, TAC-LS and Karbonite (need a TLA for that one Roverdude :v:) and a few other things, and I've just got one question. What the hell do I want to do first in a sandbox? :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I just realized the rocket I made last night is probably the most complicated thing I've made yet in KSP, though that's not saying much. It DID finally present to me a use for the bi/tri/quad couplers on 2.5m+ rockets though. From the pod down, just two orange tanks and a mainsail. Radial parachutes on the pod, upside-down quad coupler on top, and on each port a decoupler, ion engine, small SAS module, xenon gas, two gigantor panels, two communotron 88-88s (the dish), a probe core and a communotron-32 (omni) on top.

My hope was to get my whole RemoteTech network going in a single launch, dropping all the satellites off at geosynchronous altitude. Problem is I'm not actually sure how to go about dropping them off in such a way that I can control them long enough to get them out of the way/circularize their orbit. (My original plan was to set my launcher in a 2.8Mm AP, 75km PE orbit and just drop off satellites at appropriate APs; the problem I had last night with that plan is that for the first satellite KSC has swung round out of range by the time I'm ready to let go of the first satellite, so I can't control it anymore.)

KSP is hard :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

Shoot for geosync altitude first, you should be able to circularize JUST before you lose LoS, Make sure you get your communitron32 up and solar panels out before you lose coms. I think if I remember correctly you'll make one complete orbit and then on your second orbit you'll want to make a burn to a resonant orbit that is 1-1/n, n being the number of sats you want in your base network (ex. 5 sat network resonant orbit 4/5). Once that's done you can. Release satellites at your apoapsis and you should be golden. I may suggest to make the initial launch a manned mission, with a command pod right below the launch bus. Bicouplers are great for this, you can turn them upsidedown and connect two parallel ones with one a perpendicular one. If you're building it from the capsule up, capsule, decoupler, upside down bicoupler (1 down 2 up) then on each node, place another bicoupler perpendicular in orientation. Stack a stack seperator on each of the 4 nodes and build your satellite on top of that. Alt click to clone once you complete building the first one.

One hard lesson I learned was trying to get them perfectly circularized, get them to geo altitude, circularize and THEN adjust your orbital period to 6h00m.00s or as close as you can. Press capslock to enable fine control, point prograde/retrograde to increase/decrease respectively. RCS may be helpful to get this as close to 6hrs as you can.

Good luck!

My current craft I described above is manned, yeah--a 3-man command pod in the center with the launcher (and fairing base ring) below and quad coupler with satellites on top. So I can get off four satellites in one launch--in theory.

So if I have four satellites, I'd rant a 3/4 resonance--so since Kerbin is a 6h rotation, I'd want an orbital period of 4h30m for all four satellites (separated by 90 degrees of orbit each, natch)? What would this accomplish that going straight to geosynchronous altitude wouldn't?

Incidentally, after launching the first satellite, what would I do to get in position for the second? Burn retrograde, wait till I'm ~90 ahead, circularize?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thesoro posted:

Galileo is shaking his head at you across history.

edit: for real though the main answers are:
1. wider wheelbase
2. go slower
3. land somewhere with more gravity

Wouldn't more mass still cause more friction for the wheels to deal with (and thus more control)?