Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK
Is there a way to tell CKAN about an installed mod so it at least appears that way in the list even if it can't be updated with it? It's only finding a couple of mine and I have a lot more 0.90 mods installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Has holding down shift for ~5s in the debug menu always resulted in this bottom part appearing, or is this new in 0.90?

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

Any way to toggle surface attachment in the new stock KSP editor? Only real thing I'm missing, along with vertical attachment hold.

This is sorely needed, yeah. I checked the Editor Extensions thread and it appears that it's been abandoned for 0.90.

The stock editor has vertical snap if you use the offset feature and manually count the "snaps" but being able to quickly hit "V" or "R" for vertical snap / surface attach was one of the main reasons I used that mod.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

Maxmaps, what's the preferred way to file bug reports against KSP itself? In Linux, keystrokes in text boxes are getting passed through the game proper, both in the stock game (which makes naming your ships in the VAB somewhat more exciting than it should be) and in GUIs added by mods (for example, RemoteTech is now pretty much unusable).

With no arguments it'll bring up the GUI. Maybe that's broken? Try, say, "mono ckan.exe help".

(Disclaimer: I don't use OSX, I'm guessing based on my experiences with the Linux version.)

The text input thing is a major pain, yeah. It doesn't happen every time in the VAB, but does when I'm looking at a craft. It's fun inputting a precise dV value for MechJeb and having a decimal point cause it to time warp me past the maneuver. :v:

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

transparent idiom posted:

RoverDude,
I was just noticing that USI does not show up under the manufactures filter. Then I realized, due to your modularity, I don't know where to really report this as it blankets all of your projects.

It does for me, as the very topmost manufacturer.

Edit: But holy poo poo do I miss PartCatalog's sorting. Leaps and bounds better than the stock system.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Mister Bates posted:

I'm still playing on 0.25 because I don't want to lose my progress on this campaign, but does 0.90 fix the radial decouplers launching things inwards instead of outwards? I've lost so many rockets because I go to separate the empty SRBs and they promptly slam into my main stage and destroy it. Even multiple Seperatrons aren't enough to counteract the force (a few of KW Rocketry's Large Uliage Motors usually are, but not always).

Nope, but this mod fixes it perfectly: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-KSP-v0-90-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules-%28Release-v0-1-6-20-Dec-14%29

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

With the RemoteTech talk, does this mean that it works for 0.90? The thread for it only shows 0.25 as supported and I haven't found a newer version yet.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

For MKS/OKS, how do you use the flex-o-tubes to connect two base/station modules? Do I need to put docking ports on both sides or is there a way with KAS to just use the flex-o-tube by itself? I can't figure out how to use the link mode at all and there's no indication of how to link something once you're in that mode.

I'm just using it for pretty base/station parts right now with EPL and no TACLS, if that matters.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Edminster posted:

Hey I know this one!

First, make sure you have KAS installed. You need one flex-o-tube on each bit you're connecting. If you know how to use KAS pipes, it's the exact same procedure. If you don't know how, you take a Kerbal on EVA and get near one of the flex-o-tubes. Right click on the part and a menu should pop up with 'Link' as one of the options. Click on that, and you should see a phantom tube start following the Kerbal. Take your kerbal to the other flex-o-tube and do the menu thing again and click 'Link' again and it should work perfectly. It might be a different word (I haven't played in a couple days) but it should be semantically related.

That makes sense. For some reason I was thinking only a single flex-o-tube was needed for both ends of the connection (ie. As if the MKS part's node acted as a destination for the KAS link).

Thanks!

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

I've been using a combination of the QuickScroll, QuickSearch, and FilterExtensions mods to replace PartCatalog for those looking for an alternative.

FilterExtensions doesn't have per-category mod filtering, but it's a really good substitute for now.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Lord Yod posted:

Just install CKAN, they're all in there under 'USI' for the most part.

If you sort by author, they're also all listed as RoverDude except for MKS/OKS which is under his BobPalmer username for some reason.

But yeah, CKAN is definitely the best choice to install mods if they're listed in it. You really can't beat automatic updates especially when the alternative is manually checking forum threads or Curse.

Edit: Oh wow, FilterExtensions actually does add per-category mod filtering for parts with the newer versions. It's in CKAN too.

Mina fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 9, 2015

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Is there something I'm missing with Extraplanetary Launchpads? I'm using it with the orbital shipyard from MKS/OKS and have more than enough rocket parts, but it stays at 0% when I choose a craft and click "build." Even moving two smart Kerbals inside the shipyard shows productivity at 0. My station has literally every OKS part connected to it, including the resource generation modules and storage modules totaling over 20k rocket parts. Yet nothing I try actually builds anything. It feels like I have to be missing something obvious because even cheating all resources to maximum does nothing.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Edminster posted:

can this be configured or is this a case of ~my vision~ idiocy on the part of the mod author?

Yeah this is pretty dumb that I can timewarp at maximum for a solid five minutes and have 0.001% of a basic 5-part single stage rocket built. I'm just gonna cheat my rockets into Duna orbit with HyperEdit because gently caress that.

RoverDude's mods are excellent and implemented properly even with barebones documentation. EPL, not so much. :sigh:

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Synnr posted:

I uninstalled B9 because I realized that what little I liked about it wasn't balanced out by whatever weird poo poo it does re:aerodynamics and the massive size of it. My loadtime was like half what it was! But I had b9 RCS things on a ship apparently and after deleting them from the save, I couldn't click on any building besides the science center, and couldn't exit from it so wee time to start over.

Someone posted a screenshot at some point of I guess +science/cash/rep in the debug menu, how do you bring that up? I'll fly more rockets but I'll be damned if I'm going to grind back to where I was legit.

Hold Alt for 5 seconds with the debug menu open. Or right shift on Linux.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

Please add dank as a resource in the next version, tia

Explains why they love snacks so much.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Is there something that would cause the game to have 5fps on the main menu, but perform flawlessly otherwise? Moving every setting to low doesn't change it. It's not a huge issue, just annoying. I'm running Linux x64 with an ATI card so I'm mostly just happy the game works so well at all.

Using DDSLoader and Active Texture Management as well.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

I've really been liking the look of the Near Future packs lately, especially for satellites and stations.

I call it the Redundancy Probe. Those are 2.5m structural sections and it orbits Minmus for no reason at all. :jeb:

Edit: Link fixed.

Mina fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 21, 2015

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

FAR (maybe NEAR too?) also has the benefit of making getting to orbit much easier due to the lower dV needs, which can lead to some interesting stage designs.

It's probably too complex for most people, but stock should address that once the release hits and there will likely be an updated FAR for the rest of us.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Ratzap posted:

I noticed a weird bug with docking ports today. I sent up a lander built docked with the transfer vehicle. When I hit decouple the 2 ships were created but they acted as if an unbreakable magnetic lock still joined them together. I had to switch to another ship and switch back, then the 2 ships floated apart. It happened again later so it seems reproducible. Anyone else seen this happening?

Are you using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? It's a known bug but overwriting the DLL with the one from the Github repo itself fixes it: https://github.com/ferram4/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/tree/master/GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement/Plugin

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Otacon posted:

Sometimes - when I decouple a docking node, the parts do not separate. If I reload back to Space Center and look in the guidance/tracking/whatever-it-is building and reselect that vehicle, the docking ports are suddenly disconnected and floating away from each other.

Hth.

You can fix that without needing a workaround:

Krittick posted:

Are you using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement? It's a known bug but overwriting the DLL with the one from the Github repo itself fixes it: https://github.com/ferram4/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement/tree/master/GameData/KerbalJointReinforcement/Plugin

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

BUT MY VISION IT MUST BE RESPECTED

Open source is the best community. :rolleyes:

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Edit: I am dumb, ignore this.

Mina fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 19, 2015

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

I keep losing my materials study bays on impact with water, even at like 6m/s. That was from minmus doggone it :mad:

Do an EVA, right click the materials bay, and take the data. If you do it with a scientist you can also restore the bay to allow another experiment. When you enter the craft again, the data will be moved to the command pod and remain there even if the materials bay is destroyed. I usually end up restoring the various science parts a few times per body as I biome hop to grab whatever science I have fuel for.

You can also take the data from the command pod itself and it will restore the option to do another Crew Report. No scientist even needed for that.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Dang, flying with just a scientist and therefore no SAS is hard. :saddowns:

I still can't find anything for ForScience Continued! in game, even though it's definitely installed. I just noticed too that KER isn't enabled in flight--the KE button in the toolbar is grayed out--despite having that MechJeb/Kerbal Engineer for Everybody or whatever mod. Wonder if it's to do with the 64-bit workaround.

I should probably just install Ubuntu or something on my other drive just for KSP :v:

The "MechJeb/Kerbal Engineer for all" mod incorrectly specifies the name of the Kerbal Engineer modules in its config, which is why that aspect doesn't work but MechJeb does. To fix, open the mod cfg file and change all occurrences of "FlightEngineer" to "FlightEngineerModule" and it should work.

Edit now that I'm back at my computer: The file you want to change is "MechJebAndEngineerForAll.cfg" in the GameData folder itself, not a sub folder.

Mina fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 1, 2015

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Is there a tool or mod that will show me the total dV needed to do X mission? Eg. I tell it I want to land and return from Eve and it tells me I need 25000 (or whatever huge number that particular planet requires). So far I've only found the various dV maps and no actual simple calculators. I can figure it out manually, but I'd love a way to quickly get a required dV estimate before I start building something.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

E: unless you intend to do it all in one craft.

That's exactly what I'm planning to do.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Slywalker13 posted:

You are going to eve and back in a single stage? What mods are you using? Also I'm very interested to see this craft.

Not a single stage, just a single craft with multiple stages instead of using multiple crafts and docking them at various parts of the trip. I'm not crazy enough to even attempt an SSTO return from Eve. As it is, I'll still be undocking my return trip engines in orbit before I land and redocking once I leave, since returning to orbit itself requires a fuckton of fuel already. I still plan to get everything to that final orbit with a single craft though.

The main one helping out here is the SpaceY lifter pack, though I've considered adding something like Interstellar if needed. I'll post the craft and full mod list once I finish designing it. I'm doing it in career mode so it'll likely need unlocking the 7.5m set of SpaceY engines from the expanded mod as the 5m parts don't quite get me there without maxing out the VAB height limit. :v:

Eve was just an example anyway since I was in the middle of doing it when I posted. I mostly wanted the calculator for any mission in general, not just for huge "because I can" challenges. Normally I'd just use the various USI mods to build a base on Eve and harvest the fuel I need for the return trip instead.

I'll just keep using the map and overshooting the totals like I have been. Maybe if I get bored enough I'll look at coding such a tool myself someday.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

RoverDude posted:

Second is to suck it up and do a fork, and do it in a way that you could (in theory) have two 'rocket building' mods installed simultaneously so that it becomes more a case of choosing EL, or choosing a separately bundled USI pack (i.e. it would not be tied to MKS exclusively, but would use the same resource chain - so you could do the USI one with Nertea's station parts, etc.).

In that scenario, one of the largest bits I'd change is to bring back instantaneous assembly - the logic being that the 'rocketparts' (name to be changed) represent an abstracted warehouse of stuff and all you're doing at the end is slapping them together in different configurations. How you get to those bits is based on whether you're using it stand-alone or MKS-Lite (stock Ore -> RocketParts) or UKS (Chemicals/Polymers/Metals -> RocketParts). So similar to the scenario above except that it steps less on some toes and more on others :D

The last one is to actually have rocket construction as a thing, going the OSE workshop route, taking a hard KIS depencency and having the player build the rockets by hand. So the mod is more about supporting parts, etc. to facilitate that. So it's more of an in-space VAB mini game, which could be interesting.

Anyhoo, thanks for indulging in the theorycraft, curious to hear thoughts.

What turned me off about EPL besides the godawful part models was the idiotic "take loving forever to build anything" design decision, so option 2 has my vote. It would be cool to have a setting to make it more like option 3 as well though.

Also, MKS-Lite is awesome and everything I wanted from a "more simple" version of UKS, so thanks a ton for making that. It's made base building a lot more streamlined and leads to less frustrated moments of "gently caress, I forgot this ONE part I need to make this complex Duna base I just built actually work."

Any chance of an OKS-Lite at some point? :v:

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

Walton Simons posted:

I'm positive I used to use a mod where you could look at offered and current contracts in places other than the contract building, but I can't find it. Contract Window + only seems to display ones I've already accepted.

You're thinking of CapCom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

There's a rover in here somewhere.

If you can't wait for 1.1, I highly recommend setting up a linux partition if at all possible. 64 bit makes it possible to install so many graphical effect mods.

And mods in general, really.