Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

My current cat is 7 years old, and has lived alone for like the last 4 of those years. she was pretty playful with my ex's cat, but the last time someone brought an animal over she was totally freaking out :catdrugs:. I just read the cat thread that was like 'If you don't have two cats, you're a horrible monster' and I didn't realize how important a second cat around might be. Is it too late? Is my cat a hermit doomed never to have another cat friend again? what sort of cat breeds go well with gray american short hair cats w/ dark stripes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Cats take weeks to acclimatize - they don't do short visits well. If your cat's happy as an only cat, you don't need another cat. Two cats are recommended for rear end in a top hat cats (and all kittens) who may decide to destroy your house if they don't have a playmate on demand. My cat's 15 and he sleeps for roughly 23 hours every day - other animals in the house are background noise to him.

Orange cats go well with everything.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Black cats are slimming.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My parents have 2 cats, both strays. The first cat is like 15 years old now, and has lived here since he was about 2. The second cat is about 5 years old. Their house has a cat-flap so the cats can come and go as they want.

About 3 years ago, when they only had cat number 1, they noticed another cat was coming in to eat cat number 1's food as my parents caught glimpses of it during the night if they got up for a glass of water or whatever (first cat is black, 2nd cat is black and white, so quite different looking). Also, cat number 1 suddenly seemed to be eating food twice as fast, but not getting any fatter, so they knew something was up and that sorta confirmed what they thought they were seeing.

Some time later, my parents accidentally shut new cat 2 in the back living room, and didn't realize til they went back in in there in the morning, saw this black and white cat, and this cat just flopped on its back and started purring and was friendly as hell. It had no collar or anything, so they took it to the vet to check for a microchip and it had none....long story short, they ended up adopting him.

I think the cats took about a month of casual encounters (they would go out in the night at different times and so only occasionally meet in the house) to actually get along with each other. There were a few hissing matches, but no actual fights. The older cat is "the top cat" and the younger one is perfectly happy with that. They are both boys, both (now) neutered, and they get on perfectly: they eat together, sleep together etc, but if there is a special treat or something, cat number 1 gets first pickings automatically and cat number 2 just hangs back til its safe to have some.

TL;DR, a 12 year old cat that had lived with no other animals for near 10 years gets on fine with a 2 year old cat. They have been together for 3 years now.

EDIT: Both cats are strays like I said, so cat equivalent of mongrels. No idea what breeds they are made up of, but one is black and old, and one is black and white and young. They are happy cattes.

spud fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 16, 2014

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Security Drone posted:

what sort of cat breeds go well with gray american short hair cats w/ dark stripes?

a solid color cat will go nicely. another striped cat might look too matchy-matchy and you definitely don't want any plaids.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Thanks for asking this question as it's one I've been thinking about, except I used to have two cats but one passed away. To be honest they never got along that well and the one who passed was kind of a jerk to the other one. So now it's just the one cat and I can't figure out whether she's ok or maybe even relieved or whether she's lonely. How do you know if a cat is lonely?

dogcrash truther fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 17, 2014

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
The cat I have is 9 the one that passed away was 14.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I feel that for once, I tried to seriously reply to a thread that I felt needed it, but it was all about the colours of cats....

I am ashamed of myself. Totally ashamed.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

spud posted:

I feel that for once, I tried to seriously reply to a thread that I felt needed it, but it was all about the colours of cats....

I am ashamed of myself. Totally ashamed.

You did a good job but to be honest that avatar is out of confuckintrol and i can't even concentrate on any of your words

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've just killed the black cat as it was old anyway, and it was his fault.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
let me tell you about cats
       /

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dogcrash truther posted:

You did a good job but to be honest that avatar is out of confuckintrol and i can't even concentrate on any of your words

It's a potato enjoying the rear end of a lady. I've had it since 2003 when I signed up, and I still have it now.

Maybe you need to surf more.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

dogcrash truther posted:

/

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

dogcrash truther posted:

Thanks for asking this question as it's one I've been thinking about, except I used to have two cats but one passed away. To be honest they never got along that well and the one who passed was kind of a jerk to the other one. So now it's just the one cat and I can't figure out whether she's ok or maybe even relieved or whether she's lonely. How do you know if a cat is lonely?

if your cat's not exhibiting any anxiety behavior, and is eating, playing, etc. as normal, it's all good.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dogcrash truther posted:

/

Fair point.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
comon man, its right there

dogcrash truther posted:

let me tell you about pussy
       /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Security Drone posted:

My current cat is 7 years old, and has lived alone for like the last 4 of those years. she was pretty playful with my ex's cat, but the last time someone brought an animal over she was totally freaking out :catdrugs:. I just read the cat thread that was like 'If you don't have two cats, you're a horrible monster' and I didn't realize how important a second cat around might be. Is it too late? Is my cat a hermit doomed never to have another cat friend again? what sort of cat breeds go well with gray american short hair cats w/ dark stripes?

Everyone and Mr. Potato have the color coordination down pat, so let's back up to your earlier question(s).

It's not too late, probably. If it is too late, it was always too late because of your old cat's personality. I've got a 12 year old. For the first 7 years of her life, she was in a multi-cat household. For the next four years, she lived a single cat life and was pretty goddamn happy about it (and so was I). Last February, I adopted a second adult cat. Now the 12 year old and this miss new booty are buddies and tight as hell. So it's not impossible. If you do go down that road, get an older adult cat rather than a kitten or yearling. Your mature cat will get along better, or at least enter into a mutual ignore treaty with, an older cat closer in age with her. Depending on their mutual chemistry, it may take a week or months before the assholes get along. Mine were making piles on like week two even after we failed at doing a slow introduction. (A cat will try to escape a closed room at all costs.)

• Locked thread