Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PassTheRemote posted:

How about Noah and The Hatian doing an Xfiles type thing.

Sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pato
Jul 2, 2007

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I used to watch this show with friends, it was a lot of fun.

I remember being excited and telling my friends how awesome it is that Peter gets his powers by forming connections, while Syler gets his powers by severing connections, killing people. (awesome to my 17 yo self).

Then I got super excited when I learned that the second season was gonna be called "villains".

Then it all went to poo poo.

edit: I also was excited thinking who was gonna be the villain in the following seasons, like the Monster in the cover of the comics (we never saw it) and the guy that Molly said that it was worse than Syler (he was not)

El Pato fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 31, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

NBC aired a teaser during the Super Bowl earlier that had HRG in it, so there's your first returning character

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm confused. Okay, we got Horn-Rimmed Glasses guy coming back. He's pretty much the best dude anyway. Is it all new characters, or just all new actors playing the old characters?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Firstborn posted:

I'm confused. Okay, we got Horn-Rimmed Glasses guy coming back. He's pretty much the best dude anyway. Is it all new characters, or just all new actors playing the old characters?
I'm pretty confident it's mostly new characters years later.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I really hate that they are bringing this back. Of all the cancelled god drat shows Heroes deserves a comeback the least.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

NBC aired a teaser during the Super Bowl earlier that had HRG in it, so there's your first returning character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6zVQXpUe_0

:getin:

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I see they've maintained their unique aesthetic and quality standards.

Seriously, though - if Zachary Levi is playing Noah's new partner at the company and the show is basically a retread of Company Man with new characters, I could get behind that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I guess we have to assume that they are going to follow the end of the last season where the public became fully aware that there are people with powers? I guess if you go into the future a bit that could be interesting.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That is an extremely lovely teaser.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I was cautiously optimistic about this until I found out that Kring is still in charge of the writers room, and that they actually reached out to Quinto to get him to come back. I even liked that teaser, but the fact that at one point they were trying to get Sylar back really suggests that they have no idea what they're doing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

I was cautiously optimistic about this until I found out that Kring is still in charge of the writers room, and that they actually reached out to Quinto to get him to come back. I even liked that teaser, but the fact that at one point they were trying to get Sylar back really suggests that they have no idea what they're doing.
It's not a good sign. Like I get bringing HRG back since he's a major part of the mythology, but what is Sylar going to do at this point? Like most of the other characters he was used up by the end.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So Aurora is the new Eclipse, eh?

Gorn Myson posted:

:sigh: I'm not usually one to hatewatch but in this case I might as well just give up and go with the flow. Cause that's what this show is doing...

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Astroman posted:

So Aurora is the new Eclipse, eh?

:sigh: I'm not usually one to hatewatch but in this case I might as well just give up and go with the flow. Cause that's what this show is doing...

I'm gonna have to use this thread to keep up. Season 4 ended and was soon followed up by the announcement of the series' cancellation, and I was disappointed. I wanted it to be renewed specifically so that I could not watch it. But instead I had to live with the reality that I had seen the entire series from start to finish. Now this mini series is finally giving me another chance at achieving my dream. Welcome back Heroes. I can't wait to not watch you.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Dresh posted:

I'm gonna have to use this thread to keep up. Season 4 ended and was soon followed up by the announcement of the series' cancellation, and I was disappointed. I wanted it to be renewed specifically so that I could not watch it. But instead I had to live with the reality that I had seen the entire series from start to finish. Now this mini series is finally giving me another chance at achieving my dream. Welcome back Heroes. I can't wait to not watch you.

This guy has the right idea.

If something sucks, don't watch it! This is not rocket science!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Did they say if the Nissan is coming back? Best character on the show. Certainly the best written.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I genuinely see no logic in letting the same man who ran a lovely show through 4 increasingly poor seasons run a reboot of the same show. I know that Season 2 onward was hosed with, but the first one was certainly not very good either. The only blessing was that it raced through plot, but was hampered with awful dialogue. And Ali Larter. Repeatedly.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Saying increasingly bad means that season 3 was better than 4. It was not. I mean season 4 was garbage but it wasn't trash can on fire garbage. Maybe he can continue an upward trend and the mini series will be just bad

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Saying increasingly bad means that season 3 was better than 4. It was not. I mean season 4 was garbage but it wasn't trash can on fire garbage. Maybe he can continue an upward trend and the mini series will be just bad

I don't think it's really worth arguing about which pile of garbage is hotter and smellier, they're both awful and not worth putting thought into.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Season Four had Ray Park, Robert Knepper, Peter as a paramedic, and the last tiny bit of fun that could possibly be squeezed out of an evil Sylar where he's loving with Parkman's mind.

Season Three had Daphne.

It comes down to whether you prefer your poo poo with or without nuts. Either way, you're still getting poo poo.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

paint dry posted:

This guy has the right idea.

If something sucks, don't watch it! This is not rocket science!

What if you're planning on watching because all the signs point it to it being a massive, hilarious car crash?

Just remembering all the utterly stupid poo poo that happened in the last run is building my anticipation for just how badly Kring can gently caress up this time.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

WhyteRyce posted:

If I remember correctly, wasn't season 4 outlined by Bryan Fuller? Like I know he didn't do any writing for it, but I thought he got to design its overall story arc before he left at the end of season 3. Fuller's basically the only person capable of making Heroes any good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Probably the best thing that could come from Heroes Reborn is it being brought back as a full series, and then handed over to Fuller, who used it as an excuse to insert the characters from Pushing Daisies and just continue that show. I mean, Ned basically has a Heroes power, and Fuller likes to link up all his other shows, so I can dream...

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Fuller is very busy with Hannibal and will be for several seasons to come thank you sir :mad:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Best thing to do would be to have the first few minutes of the new season be a re-edited version of the season 1 finale, only Sylar dies. That leaves that entire season wrapped up nicely, and we can just move onto HRG and Levi doing their thing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gorn Myson posted:

Best thing to do would be to have the first few minutes of the new season be a re-edited version of the season 1 finale, only Sylar dies. That leaves that entire season wrapped up nicely, and we can just move onto HRG and Levi doing their thing.
That and actually have the fight that we were promised between Sylar and Peter.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

FlamingLiberal posted:

What, you saying that flashing colours behind a door didn't do it for you?

I wonder how Heroes would've ended up if the studio just went along with Kring's original idea. Has anything more been said about the original Season 2 idea other than 'It was going to be different characters?' Saying that, Season 1 wasn't exactly great anyway so I'm not sure how good anything can be with Tim Kring in charge.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 8, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I doubt any planning advanced beyond 'we want to have a new cast', since the show took off pretty quickly.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess the closest thing we got were Peter and Sylar hammering away at the metaphoric but not really metaphoric because it was real inside their mind brick wall.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Just have lots of kickass superpowered fights and I'll buy back in even if the story is crap.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
None of the first season made any sense in hindsight, and several powers are so overpowered that when a character becomes sufficiently competent they are basically unstoppable: Spacetime manipulation, telekinesis, power collection, and mind control. I guess you could add the Haitian's power suppression ability but they didn't do a huge deal with that anyway.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Ravel posted:

None of the first season made any sense in hindsight, and several powers are so overpowered that when a character becomes sufficiently competent they are basically unstoppable: Spacetime manipulation, telekinesis, power collection, and mind control. I guess you could add the Haitian's power suppression ability but they didn't do a huge deal with that anyway.

And sufficiently-powerful/precise telekinesis can replicate just about any power, so...

(Wild Cards was creepy poo poo, but the appendix in the back of the first book where they go into this was actual good reading)

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I can't believe I'm getting pulled into this show again. The same thing happened when they brought back 24. :(

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Super Dude posted:

I can't believe I'm getting pulled into this show again. The same thing happened when they brought back 24. :(
The return of 24 was good though?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If Tim Kring is back, we get 2 good episodes (the ones that convinced execs he's different this time), then a season of poo poo.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FlamingLiberal posted:

The return of 24 was good though?

It was more of the same. Consistently average for a decade.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eh, I think it was much better being 10 episodes, so they cut out a lot of the awful filler side plots that only existed to pan runtime (see: Kim and the Cougar, and Jack's wife getting amnesia).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rocksicles posted:

I blocked out all things Heroes, i only caught this because it's been top of the first page.

This is all that remains:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=097QSWwyMLI

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I swear, this show is right up there with Dexter for a good show that turned to utter poo poo. But I'll watch the rehash.

Hatewatching irredeemable poo poo is so cathartic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gorilla Salad posted:

I swear, this show is right up there with Dexter for a good show that turned to utter poo poo. But I'll watch the rehash.

Hatewatching irredeemable poo poo is so cathartic.

This show got worse than Dexter. I have watched some bad seasons of shows that fell off hard (Weeds, Dexter, etc) but this is the only one I've ever outright quit on midseason. That circus season was just terrible. I hope the new show is good but it sounds like it's got a 50/50 shot at best right now.

• Locked thread