Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen a release date anywhere, but this site is claiming summer this year (with no source) fwiw http://tuftsdaily.com/arts/2015/02/17/heroes-spin-off-heroes-reborn-set-premiere-summer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Summer seems appropriate for what will doubtlessly be a steaming pile.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I just don't understand why they are giving Tim Kring another shot. As a franchise, the show could be great (as long as it stays away from absurdly overpowered abilities), but with the same guy who drove the show into the ground the last time? Ughh.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's peak NBC though. They love bringing back failures to run their shows or network

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's peak NBC though. They love bringing back failures to run their shows or network

Cool, maybe that means we can get another season of Journeyman :(

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This popped up last week

http://www.franchiseherald.com/articles/23291/20150306/heroes-reborn-cast.htm

quote:

Greg Gunberg, who brought to life telepath Matt Parkman from the Los Angeles Police Department, was reportedly contacted by Kring himself for the role.
"I got a call from the creator of the show, asking if I would participate and I said absolutely," the 48-year-old actor recently told Entertainment Tonight. "We will see! I will know very soon!"

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 12, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
More casting news!

http://www.celebeat.com/articles/19994/20150317/once-upon-times-peter-pan-joins-tim-krings-heroes-reborn.htm

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Parkman was one of the worst actors on the show and everything about his story was boring as gently caress, ugh, cool it on the recasting please.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I wonder if, when they found him, he was eating out of a dumpster?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Even more casting news http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/17/heroes-reborn-snags-shameless-star-exclusive

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Parkman was one of the worst actors on the show and everything about his story was boring as gently caress, ugh, cool it on the recasting please.

He was pretty much the reason I dropped the show. Of all the people that they could've brought back, this is most likely to keep me away from this nonsense.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Valeyard posted:

...with a whole new* cast!

*apart from Jack Coleman coming back as Noah Bennet

A smart move to ditch all the others and it gives me some hope it might not be the amazing 200-car pile up that Heroes became.

But not much.

Shakugan posted:

I just don't understand why they are giving Tim Kring another shot. As a franchise, the show could be great (as long as it stays away from absurdly overpowered abilities), but with the same guy who drove the show into the ground the last time? Ughh.

Fuuuuck. Really? They are seriously giving this back to Tim Kring?

I honestly now hope it's bad enough to reach season 3 levels, because that's my absolute gold standard in terrible TV.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think it's really worth arguing about which pile of garbage is hotter and smellier, they're both awful and not worth putting thought into.

I disagree. I think season 3 was so bad that it should be taught in schools as a cautionary tale of all the things not to do when writing any kind of fiction.

Season 4 was merely "meh."

Shbobdb posted:

The difference is that in Breaking Bad they didn't decide to cockpunch the audience. If that same scenario happened in Heroes the gun would have ended up being a throwaway means to smuggle meth across the border and maybe once mentioned in passing or would have been a plastic toy for Junior.. Breaking Bad was very good at writing by the seat of its pants, but that is the exception, not the rule. And heroes was lazy even by some already lax standards.

When Brian Fuller came back and made some comments it became clear what the difference was between Early Heroes / season 3 Heroes, and also why it was so hosed up compared to Breaking Bad.

Heroes writing room was a war zone with writers trying to gently caress each other over. Breaking Bad, in the meantime, was highly collaborative. Also the BB team handled situations like this: They'd hit a wall/problem for their characters, then instead of making poo poo up, would go back over the show's history looking for something that could influence the current situation. As a result you have what I call "retroactive continuity." Little one off things feel much more connected when they pay off later, even if that wasn't their plan at the time.

I don't even know where to start on Heroes season 3. I tried watching the season a second time just to see how many holes there were, and I was literally counting over 2 per minute before I gave up 20 minutes in. Not a single thing established in the first episode had any resolution at all; not evil Claire, not Nathan coming back for no reason.

That's not even talking character stupidity. One of the first things said in the season, to a time traveler, was "There's no time!" by a character that went evil because........ well they never really got to explain why, but she totally chose not to be evil later because.. I uh.. I won't even get into "believe anything anyone tells him ever" Sylar.

Long story short when you throw your writers in a pit and don't oversee them at all, even encourage them to dick with everyone's continuities, you've setup a doomed to fail situation. Kring let this happen. He shouldn't be a show runner again.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 18, 2015

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I've heard a lot about the combative writer's room. I have not been able to find some articles detailing that, and I would like to get a better idea of how the writer's room hurt the series.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Blazing Ownager posted:

When Brian Fuller came back and made some comments it became clear what the difference was between Early Heroes / season 3 Heroes, and also why it was so hosed up compared to Breaking Bad.

Heroes writing room was a war zone with writers trying to gently caress each other over.

Please post some links, this sounds really interesting to me.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Hakkesshu posted:

Gorilla Salad posted:

I wonder if, when they found him, he was eating out of a dumpster?

flashy_mcflash posted:

He was pretty much the reason I dropped the show. Of all the people that they could've brought back, this is most likely to keep me away from this nonsense.

I think I loving love you guys.

*turns and tilts head, squints into shaky cam, fartz, eats sammich*

Brock Samson fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 19, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

PassTheRemote posted:

I would like to get a better idea of how the writer's room hurt the series.

Here's a link.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PassTheRemote posted:

I've heard a lot about the combative writer's room. I have not been able to find some articles detailing that, and I would like to get a better idea of how the writer's room hurt the series.

Effectively from my understand, what you had is everybody with their own ideas, and a complete unwillingness to work with other people's ideas. Hence why characters would act one way half the time, then wildly different the next; the same goes with powers and such.

I've used this example before but one that really sticks out to me was when Sylar got shapeshifting powers, and the writer that added them went into great detail in multiple interviews about the rules for his powers, and how they planned to keep them from being overpowered and make it into an interesting character ability - things like not being able to change mass, generate clothing, etc.

The writer that did an episode almost immediately after pretty much went "Pfffft gently caress that" and broke every single rule the original writer gave a greatly detailed interview about.

Then there was all the stuff about how Kring was "encouraging people to make stuff up as they go along" with no planning ; I'm serious. Which is why you had things like Hiro watching the world split in two, an event that never ever even comes close to loving happening in the series despite being the huge event that kick started a whole plot line.

When Fuller left I remember him talking about how the writing room "wasn't the coherent team environment" it was when he left, but had turned largely into everyone having their own idea, and being damned if they wouldn't shove out other ideas for theirs, even if they'd already aired stuff directly to the contrary. There was even discussion of writers specifically leaving the next episode writer in a lurch so they'd have to "think of a creative solution out of it." Which is an awful idea if your writers capabilities max out at "pull something stupid out of your rear end at random."

I absolutely believe all of it; it's pretty obvious what's happening if you watch that season with this in mind, as you watch plots start and die before they even get out of first gear, over and over, often spitting on the few plots that even got to second in the process.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Please post some links, this sounds really interesting to me.

I'll have to see if I can dig some up. I was following it at the time of the season actually airing largely because the tailspin became kind of amazing. Some of it was flat out horror stories from the writers, others were detailing their horrendous creative process (without being aware of how horrendous it was), and some were like the shape shifting example: Writer A declares they want X to happen, Writer B laughs and wrecks X to do Y, repeat forever.

Season 2 was boring, and had some really stupid things, but given there was a writer's strike happening right then and the plot got changed from what the original plan was (the original idea for season 2, and the storyboards for the first few episodes, were way way loving better than what we got), but there's no excuse for how anything after that went.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Ideas are one thing in TV writing. It's easy to say "S3: Yula and Tyronius have their epic romance that culminates in them finally buying that Yogurt Shop."

But when you lose the Yoghurt location, or Yula's actress loving hates Yoghurt (or Tyronius), or you have to integrate the network's Ice Cream Initiative, even a good writing staff can get away from their blue sky ideating.

What's difference is that Heroes was a circus run by a Darwinian rear end in a top hat who alienates fans. (Like, it's been 7 years since the "gently caress you for caring about Caitlin's continuity" thing, and no other showrunner has come close to that level of antagonism. )

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

(Like, it's been 7 years since the "gently caress you for caring about Caitlin's continuity" thing, and no other showrunner has come close to that level of antagonism. )

What.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That whole thing where the fans pointed out to Kring that he stranded Peter's Irish girlfriend in that dystopian future, which was never followed up on.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

That whole thing where the fans pointed out to Kring that he stranded Peter's Irish girlfriend in that dystopian future, which was never followed up on.

I completely forgot about that. Does this qualify me for a writing position on the new series?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
How do you feel about the Nissan Versa?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Inkspot posted:

How do you feel about the Nissan Versa?

Wheres the check.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Reminder that Tim Kring thought it was a good idea to use Scrum, an Agile workflow used by software engineers, to plan seasons. What does this mean? Well, basically, it means that at any given point, they were never planning any more than 4 episodes at a time.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Kring DID call fans Dipshits, but he apologized.
http://www.pinkraygun.com/an-open-letter-from-tim-kring-nbcs-heroes/

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 19, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
More casting news, this time Judith Shekoni

http://uk.eonline.com/news/637290/heroes-reborn-casts-twilight-star-as-a-series-regular

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The only casting news that would make me happy is if they brought back Brea Grant because shes the most adorable thing on the planet.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gorn Myson posted:

The only casting news that would make me happy is if they brought back Brea Grant because shes the most adorable thing on the planet.

:agreed:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
They are gonna have to take a poo poo load of pages from Arrow and The Flash, even Agents of SHIELD seems like a crawl compared to them, and Heroes seems like a crawl compared to AoS. I'm happy they aren't bringing back Ali Larter, and if they do, they should just go all out and have her play like 9 different secret twin sisters, like Patton Oswalt in AoS or something.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 19, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just to troll the fans, Caitlyn or whoever should just randomly return from the dystopian future.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
you don't have your powers anymore peter because I have them now

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There's been some lovely minor casting recently that wasn't worth posting. But..

http://deadline.com/2015/03/masi-oka-cast-heroes-reborn-hiro-nakamura-1201400097/

:flashfap:

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Valeyard posted:

There's been some lovely minor casting recently that wasn't worth posting. But..

http://deadline.com/2015/03/masi-oka-cast-heroes-reborn-hiro-nakamura-1201400097/

Will he finally be the loving Future Samurai from the flash forwards?

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

GigaPeon posted:

Will he finally be the loving Future Samurai from the flash forwards?

That would make the show good, so no

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Valeyard posted:

Of all of the characters I feel like this is the one that they didn't need to bring back the most, except for maybe Ali Larter's million characters.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Of all of the characters I feel like this is the one that they didn't need to bring back the most, except for maybe Ali Larter's million characters.
Ali Larter must have been sleeping with a head writer because having three separate roles on the tv series after two character deaths just smacks of favoritism.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Party Plane Jones posted:

Ali Larter must have been sleeping with a head writer because having three separate roles on the tv series after two character deaths just smacks of favoritism.

I'd laugh if the situation was really along these lines.

"gently caress Ali Larter, let's fire her."
"We can't, she's under contract."
"Well I'll just write her dead during the writer's strike then. Let's see our writers get out of that one!"

.. six months later ..

"poo poo! Uh.. she has two sisters! Identical sisters!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It really started to enter parody by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wow, Masi Oka looks really different now.

(From TVGuide.com)

• Locked thread