Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

quote:

Dave Skylark (James Franco) and his producer Aaron Rapoport (Seth Rogen) are the team behind the popular tabloid-TV show "Skylark Tonight." After learning that North Korea's Kim Jong Un (Randall Park) is a huge fan of the show, they successfully set up an interview with him, hoping to legitimize themselves as actual journalists. However, as Dave and Aaron prepare for their journey to Pyongyang, the CIA steps in, recruits them, and assigns them an incredible mission: Assassinate the dictator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsvWVEHowg

So the news for this is seriously everywhere, so here's the short version:

The Interview is announced
Sony gets hacked a bunch
Hackers claim to be from North Korea, threaten to "9/11" theaters that show it
Sony gives theaters the option to pull it
Enough theaters pull that Sony cancels it outright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pointed it out in the Who Greenlighted thread but Sony has not removed the teasers/trailers from their official YouTube channel. And I heard some reports of people saying they were still seeing TV ads for it. So I guess while they aren't releasing it and have no plans to at this time, they aren't trying to bury it completely either?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They just showed an ad during The Daily Show. My guess is that they already paid for the ad time, and since they only officially cancelled it this evening, they didn't have time to pull them.

If this is really from the DPRK, how were they planning on "9/11 style violence" anyway? Do they even have a plane?

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Well, this is really embarrassing.

Why did the theaters pull the movie again? And what were the hackers going to do if Sony didn't kill the premiere?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hand of the King posted:

Well, this is really embarrassing.

Why did the theaters pull the movie again? And what were the hackers going to do if Sony didn't kill the premiere?

Yell vague threats and invoke 9/11, if their prior messages are any indication.

A theater local to me was going to stand fast and show the movie, but it looks like it didn't take long for them to crack :(
http://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...8c600fae91.html

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

raditts posted:

They just showed an ad during The Daily Show. My guess is that they already paid for the ad time, and since they only officially cancelled it this evening, they didn't have time to pull them.

If this is really from the DPRK, how were they planning on "9/11 style violence" anyway? Do they even have a plane?

Yeah, I've been seeing ads for it all night on cable, guess they'll be going away in the next few days though, unless something changes.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I read this before the cancellation, but Waterloo, IA will be damned if they let Hollywood tell them what they can and cannot watch.

a local Iowa newspaper posted:

Local theaters not bailing on 'The Interview,' despite threat

WATERLOO | Despite threats of violence against moviegoers, as of Wednesday afternoon "The Interview" was still slated for release on Christmas Eve at local movie theaters.

In online movie listings, College Square Theaters in Cedar Falls and Crossroads Cinemas list several showings of the film on that day. The Sony Pictures film is set for national release on Christmas Day.

(...)

Locally, authorities said moviegoers will see an increase police presence at the theaters.

“We will definitely give it extra attention, and we will monitor it appropriately,” said Daniel Trelka, director of safety services for the city of Waterloo.

“We will make our presence more known in the area and reach out to the theater and work with them to make sure that everybody has an enjoyable movie-going experience,” he said.

Trelka said he has handled similar threats before. When he was police chief in Sturgeon Bay, Wis., the lakeside community had been identified as one of five cities in the Great Lakes area facing a possible Mumbai-style attack by Al Qaeda terrorists who would arrive by boat.

“We monitored our waterfronts more vigilantly, our water supply. There was a lot of communication between us, the Coast Guard and the FBI because of all this,” Trelka said.

Trelka doubts the threats will keep locals who want to see the movie from going to theaters.

“When I look at the people in Waterloo, we are pretty resilient. People are going to go see the movie,” Trelka said.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How far in advance do movies get sent out to theaters? Is there any chance of this being screened anywhere anyway despite what's happened? Although I'm guessing any theater that did that would get sued by Sony since they officially canceled it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How far in advance do movies get sent out to theaters? Is there any chance of this being screened anywhere anyway despite what's happened? Although I'm guessing any theater that did that would get sued by Sony since they officially canceled it.

Even if they had it already, I doubt they'd be able to show it. IIRC the digital film hard drives are encrypted and theaters are given the code before the release. Unless, of course, they have it in 35mm, but I feel like that might not be common.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If that's the case, I hope some intrepid minimum-wage theater employee leaks it. What's one more leak to Sony at this point, after all?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

raditts posted:

If that's the case, I hope some intrepid minimum-wage theater employee leaks it. What's one more leak to Sony at this point, after all?

They should just do that themselves. If they're saying they no longer have plans to release it in theaters why not just put it on Amazon VOD for $4.99? Or are they saying whoever streams it will get 9/11ed in their house too?

It's gonna be like 9/11 times 1000. Basically 911,000 will happen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So uhhh, this will probably get taken down, but someone put up the Kim Jong Un death scene from the movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYw9eJ_jf0
That version of Firework :laffo:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

raditts posted:

Yell vague threats and invoke 9/11, if their prior messages are any indication.

A theater local to me was going to stand fast and show the movie, but it looks like it didn't take long for them to crack :(
http://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...8c600fae91.html

There's a shitload of liability involved if they continued with the showings despite the threats and being warned by the government and police. If something happened and someone was injured or killed, they'd be then sued out of existence by the personal liability claims.

And that wouldn't just be for The Interview, it's for every screen in the theater. A nut pulls a gun in the middle of Annie and shoots someone and gets killed by cops, the liability still stands because a lawyer could claim the gunman was a NK sympathizer. It doesn't take a lot for someone, NK or not, to pull an Aurora-style shooting and completely destroy the holiday movie season.

Rad Russian posted:

They should just do that themselves. If they're saying they no longer have plans to release it in theaters why not just put it on Amazon VOD for $4.99? Or are they saying whoever streams it will get 9/11ed in their house too?

They probably will do it eventually, but they also have an insurance policy on the film in case it never gets released, so Sony makes money if it's shelved or not.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Young Freud posted:

There's a shitload of liability involved if they continued with the showings despite the threats and being warned by the government and police. If something happened and someone was injured or killed, they'd be then sued out of existence by the personal liability claims.

And that wouldn't just be for The Interview, it's for every screen in the theater. A nut pulls a gun in the middle of Annie and shoots someone and gets killed by cops, the liability still stands because a lawyer could claim the gunman was a NK sympathizer. It doesn't take a lot for someone, NK or not, to pull an Aurora-style shooting and completely destroy the holiday movie season.

Lawyers ruin everything in this country, again.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Yoshifan823 posted:

quote:

Trelka said he has handled similar threats before. When he was police chief in Sturgeon Bay, Wis., the lakeside community had been identified as one of five cities in the Great Lakes area facing a possible Mumbai-style attack by Al Qaeda terrorists who would arrive by boat.

The members of Seal Team 6 pick through the scattered rubble following their brief but intense firefight. One of them approaches Bin Laden's now lifeless body slumped over a desk and pushes it aside. Underneath, stained with blood, is a map of the United States with a single red circle drawn around one name: Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.

"My God."

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rad Russian posted:

Lawyers ruin everything in this country, again.

I'd rather not give dumb, violent assholes from Maine to Mexico an excuse to gently caress someone up at a movie theatre.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

So uhhh, this will probably get taken down, but someone put up the Kim Jong Un death scene from the movie:

And this is AFTER they covered the head exploding. I wanna see it without that fireball in front of it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

So this confirms that there's a screener out, and it's just a waiting game until it hits the usual places.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So this confirms that there's a screener out, and it's just a waiting game until it hits the usual places.

It makes sense that they would leak the ending and nothing else, ruin the movie for people who wanted to see it without actually getting the film out there for people to see.

Too bad they couldn't get an actor that actually looked like him though.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Best or worst publicity/promotion stunt ever?
You decide.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
So I guess we can add North Korea to the list of "bad guys you can't use in movies anymore" after China, the USSR, etc. Hollywood needs to find a new stock villain, and fast.

Also, I think this particular theater has the best contingency plan:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/texas-movie-theater-will-show-team-america-instead-of-the-interview/

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Young Freud posted:

but they also have an insurance policy on the film in case it never gets released, so Sony makes money if it's shelved or not.

Maybe this insurance fraud was planned by Sony when they realised how much the movie was going to bomb. Who are these "hackers" anyway?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'd rather not give dumb, violent assholes from Maine to Mexico an excuse to gently caress someone up at a movie theatre.

Dumb violent assholes who truly want to hurt people are going to do it regardless of if they can use a Seth Rogen movie as an excuse or not.

Now aside from that, before all this poo poo went down the studio was pretty vocal about the fact that they hated the movie. I can't be alone in suspecting that they're using the hacks as a convenient excuse to pull some kind of Producers type scam.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Now aside from that, before all this poo poo went down the studio was pretty vocal about the fact that they hated the movie

what did they say?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

CPL593H posted:

Dumb violent assholes who truly want to hurt people are going to do it regardless of if they can use a Seth Rogen movie as an excuse or not.

Now aside from that, before all this poo poo went down the studio was pretty vocal about the fact that they hated the movie. I can't be alone in suspecting that they're using the hacks as a convenient excuse to pull some kind of Producers type scam.

Last week this dumb conspiracy theory was about Annie. Can't wait to see what movie is apparently so terrible it's worth pissing millions of dollars down the drain next week.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

zVxTeflon posted:

what did they say?

My guess is that a lot of old white guys in expensive suits were making a lot of "Harumph!" sounds at it, but the quote going around is that one of them referred to it as "desperately unfunny". I'll see if I can dig up the article I read about it but basically this is what was the big talk about it before any of this other stuff happened and then a day later it was all about the supposed terrorist threats.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 18, 2014

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Please tell me the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin will be doing this too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Here's an article about what I was talking about. One of the big sticking points is that they found the movie to be too violent and just generally don't know how to sell it or who the audience for this is.

http://defamer.gawker.com/leaked-emails-the-interview-sucked-for-sony-even-befor-1671234001

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CPL593H posted:

Here's an article about what I was talking about. One of the big sticking points is that they found the movie to be too violent and just generally don't know how to sell it or who the audience for this is.

http://defamer.gawker.com/leaked-emails-the-interview-sucked-for-sony-even-befor-1671234001

I don't know what they could possibly have been expecting, both of the other two films Rogen and Franco have headlined together were violent and gory as heck for comedies, too. And they both did just fine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

I don't know what they could possibly have been expecting, both of the other two films Rogen and Franco have headlined together were violent and gory as heck for comedies, too. And they both did just fine.

One of those emails also complained about them swearing too much.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Old white people will always be a mystery.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Spending $44m on some comedy not headed by creative types seems like a good way to flush away money, hermit kingdom hacking notwithstanding.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer

SALT CURES HAM posted:

That scene was one in one of the big file dumps from a week or so ago. Though i do hope a screener leaks soon.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
You whippersnappers suck at this, in my day we had a screener for lovely movies months before they came out

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

While I did eventually see an ad for this last night, it was only the one during a couple of hours. Which was a big change from Tuesday where it was getting advertised about once a break. So maybe they pulled as many as they could but couldn't get everything.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

raditts posted:

Given DPRK's track record with this kind of thing, not to mention the severe consequences were it to even be suspected to be responsible for an attack against the US, it was almost certainly an empty threat. But I can't blame Sony & co. for not wanting to take any chances.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

North Korea: noted international terror powerhouse.

Obama making nice with Cuba is big news and Rubio is raising a big stink about it, yet Sony rolls over because Kim Jung Un doesn't like being made fun of.

Which is the real shameful move?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This movie was due to come out here in February (The UK). I wonder if they'll cancel any International showings?

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

mcbexx posted:

Best or worst publicity/promotion stunt ever?
You decide.

This. If they were honestly going to shelve it forever they wouldn't announce it, they would pull ads, they would take down the YouTube trailer. It's a lovely stunt to build buzz. And it'll backfire when it gets leaked onto torrent sites.

In a short time expect to see an official marketing campaign about the release of a banned movie or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

935 posted:

This. If they were honestly going to shelve it forever they wouldn't announce it, they would pull ads, they would take down the YouTube trailer. It's a lovely stunt to build buzz. And it'll backfire when it gets leaked onto torrent sites.

In a short time expect to see an official marketing campaign about the release of a banned movie or something.

This opinion, and ones like it, are the dumbest thing I've heard. Sony leaked all their employees information (Resulting in a class action lawsuit), embarrassed themselves and tanked their own movie just so they can release it again as some sort of stunt?

The ads will be pulled in the next few days and of course the movie will eventually get released. But Sony aren't so stupid that they're going to say "Yeah we pulled it because of this, but hey it's coming out in March!".

Don't forget that Sony only actually pulled it because theatre chains did. Had they gone ahead and shown it then this 'lovely stunt' would've fallen apart. This 'stunt' argument has so little merit that I'm surprised people feel comfortable saying it out in public.

• Locked thread