Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Pretty okay. Super quick paced but it worked. I laughed here and there but died during the control room encounter near the end. The denoument is kinda lame but the rush the climax owns. Also loved Franco's realization about the fake fruit.

I liked This Is The End better but this is still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Just got done watching it. It was ok. Not their best work, but yeah as Little Mac says the realization about the shop and the little boy was a great scene and honestly the best condemnation about North Korea you can do. They actually do things like that.

Had North Korea not lost it's poo poo over it, this film would have came and gone and nobody would have cared about it or remembered it.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Kudos to Sony for premiering a movie on YouTube. First step towards finally making cinemas obsolete.

Hopefully they'll soon figure out that the Internet works across oceans too

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
It was kinda meh - had some okay moments

Lazy Bastard
Aug 23, 2004
Laziness is an art

Krowley posted:

Kudos to Sony for premiering a movie on YouTube. First step towards finally making cinemas obsolete.

Hopefully they'll soon figure out that the Internet works across oceans too

OMG! What if that was their plan all along and nothing was really hacked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Was it anywhere near as good as Pineapple Express?

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

precision posted:

Was it anywhere near as good as Pineapple Express?

Nah, but it wasn't much worse or anything.

I thought the beginning was slow and repetitive but the last 30 minutes was all pretty funny and enjoyable. The control room scene might be one of my favorite action scenes of all time though. And yeah, the fake fruit shop was well done too.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

This owns.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

That review is pretty hilariously bad, it basically complains that The Interview isn't the North Korean Schindler's List.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Movie is actually a lot funnier than I thought and...violent too. I enjoyed it more then This is the End not sure about where it ranks with Pineapple Express.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Comrade Fakename posted:

That review is pretty hilariously bad, it basically complains that The Interview isn't the North Korean Schindler's List.

I dunno I thought the trailer itself was pretty bad considering what North Korea is actually like.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Movie was not as bad as critics say, but not as good as I hoped. I think Franco works better when he's a secondary character in comedies.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

I dunno I thought the trailer itself was pretty bad considering what North Korea is actually like.

You must not have liked the Producers then.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Producers wasn't produced in 1943.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

How about You Natzy Spy or I'll never Heil again then?

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
It's not bad and had some really funny parts, pretty much what you'd expect from a Rogan and Franco movie.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Pretty good, I liked it better than Neghbors, not as funny as Pineapple Express. They made no attempt at all to make the exterior shots look like Korea instead of Vancouver though

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gfanikf posted:

How about You Natzy Spy or I'll never Heil again then?

Both movies were made well before the Holocaust proper began and well before even rumors of it spread to the Allied countries.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

Both movies were made well before the Holocaust proper began and well before even rumors of it spread to the Allied countries.
Death squads were in operation before October 1941 and rumors had already been spreading.

Regardless the idea that movie had to be a North Korean Schlinders List is pretty loving laughable.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was really disappointed that Un was made out to be actually crazy after they started to humanize him. I really thought it was going to go on to make him out to be a sympathetic puppet controlled by his Generals. Then it would have actually been emotionally complex as they decide whether or not to kill him because of the next positive effect..

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gfanikf posted:

Death squads were in operation before October 1941 and rumors had already been spreading.

Regardless the idea that movie had to be a North Korean Schlinders List is pretty loving laughable.

You Natzy Spy was released in January 1940 and I'll Never Heil Again was released in July 1941.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

You Natzy Spy was released in January 1940 and I'll Never Heil Again was released in July 1941.

Nazis invaded Poland in 1939 and were kind of killing people in between then and Barbarossa.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
waits for the SMG reading.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I was really disappointed that Un was made out to be actually crazy after they started to humanize him. I really thought it was going to go on to make him out to be a sympathetic puppet controlled by his Generals. Then it would have actually been emotionally complex as they decide whether or not to kill him because of the next positive effect..

None of the humanizing traits went away, though. The whole point is that Franco and Un were able to get along because they come from extremely similar places, but the difference in how they turned out from it drives Franco back to reality.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I thought it was better overall than This Is The End but nowhere near as good as Pineapple Express. I do think it had a stronger third act, but the first two weren't even half as good, and while it was more consistently entertaining it didn't have anything as great as the Daewoo Lanos moment.

xtrmntallhippies
Aug 27, 2006
extra mean tall hippies
It was also a lot more nuanced about American imperialism than a simple summary would suggest. Un gets a couple of jabs in about how screwed up America is (our incarceration rate is mentioned). There is also a good joke (which was in a trailer) where Sook says something to Franco about how the states should have learned these kind of missions don't work and Franco responds to the effect of "we'll keep trying until they do." I paraphrased to try to avoid spoiling it

Of course the mission does mostly work, which is not dissimilar to Team America's ending.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

Mel Brooks was too busy actually serving in the Army.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

:drat:

As was his brother

quote:

My brother Lenny wrote “Happy Hannukah Hitler” on one of the bombs he dropped from his B17 Flying Fortress in WWII #AVeryMelHannukah

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Right..he wasn't making a comedy about a musical about the Nazis. I'm aware hence why I said what I said?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
I laughed

http://www.workers.org/articles/2014/12/21/u-s-attacks-korea-no-joke/

quote:

In case anyone thought that Washington’s recent moves to modify its policy toward Cuba mean the imperialist monster has suddenly mellowed, the White House, State Department, FBI, CIA and Pentagon have all cleared up that misunderstanding.

To the cheers of the corporate media, from the virulently right-wing Fox News to the liberal-sounding New York Times, they all ganged up to launch more threats against the valiant Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

What is the supposed issue? Another piece of cynical Hollywood trash that claims to be just a “comedy” — about the U.S. assassinating the DPRK’s head of state.

There’s nothing fictional or funny about U.S. assassinations of foreign leaders. It’s been done too often. And this film even got the State Department’s official go-ahead. Now that an anonymous group of hackers called Guardians of Peace has allegedly retaliated by hacking into the website of the Sony Corporation, all branches of the capitalist state are blaming the DPRK and calling for blood.

Hacking is nothing unusual these days. Think Chase Bank, Home Depot, Target. But it is now Washington’s latest excuse for bellicose statements against the DPRK.

Did Obama make his strong statement against Korea partly to appease his far-right opponents, who are fuming about Cuba? Maybe. That’s typical capitalist politics.

But the people of the DPRK take U.S. threats very seriously, and so should we. The U.S. war in Korea killed millions of Koreans, mostly civilians, and some 50,000 U.S. military personnel. What the U.S. has done to Korea is no laughing matter. The Korean people have sacrificed and fought long and hard to defend their national sovereignty. The head of state, Kim Jong Un, is the embodiment and symbol of their national identity.

Sony withdrew the film and was criticized by Obama for doing so, as though this were somehow a surrender of “freedom of speech” and “artistic integrity.” But we haven’t heard a peep from the self-designated defenders of free speech in the U.S. government about the repression in U.S.-occupied south Korea under the National Security Act, which makes it a crime to publish or say anything positive about the DPRK.

The U.S. has never ended its state of war against the DPRK. We must elevate the struggle here to demand that Washington sign a peace treaty and withdraw its troops from south Korea, so the Korean people can determine their own destiny.

The struggle against the imperialist domination of other countries is integral to the struggles at home for good-paying jobs, against racism, sexism and anti-lesbian-gay-bi-trans-queer bigotry, mass incarceration, police murders and the persecution of immigrants.

No justice, no peace, no racist police! No foreign occupations, bring the troops home now!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I enjoyed the movie, but I'm a sucker for these Rogen/Franco comedies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I actually really enjoyed this. Like, more than I was expecting to. I was thinking about the To Friend A Predator episode of Workaholics throughout a good bit of it, and Anders from Workaholics was even in the movie!

The control room scene and the Katy Perry tank scene right after it had me almost in tears from laughing so hard.

I think the movie wasn't really doing much for me until Dave and Kim started hanging out, but once that happened, it picked way up and never stopped being exciting/funny to watch after that.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
So I wasn't the only one who wasn't able to steam in HD from youtube? Youtube actually advertises it in HD. It's pretty amazing that I had to resort to piracy to get what I actually bothered to pay for.

I felt that the movie was really really dumb, but it was a lot of fun. The first half was pretty dull, but the movie gets much better in the second half. The movie becomes so much better once Kim Jong-Un shows up.

I was really hoping for something much greater out of the film, but I really had a lot of fun with what I got.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It does have a few really great gags in the beginning, like the one-second cameo from Joseph Gordon-Levitt, who is just playing with a bunch of puppies for no real reason.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If you watched this movie expecting intelligent social commentary, maybe you should watch 60 minutes.

:devil:

also:

They complain about killing UN offscreen with poison, but when it came down to it because of the CEO freaking out about it, they just about showed him offscreen on the death. How anticlimatic and ironic.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I loved the Seal Team 6 reveal.

I would have been satisfied had I payed to watch this in theaters.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
Did I see Seth Rogen's wang

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

I'm not sure, but i sure heard it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cool Cherry Cream posted:

It's Gone Girl all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

hellocruelworld posted:

So I wasn't the only one who wasn't able to steam in HD from youtube? Youtube actually advertises it in HD. It's pretty amazing that I had to resort to piracy to get what I actually bothered to pay for.

I felt that the movie was really really dumb, but it was a lot of fun. The first half was pretty dull, but the movie gets much better in the second half. The movie becomes so much better once Kim Jong-Un shows up.

I was really hoping for something much greater out of the film, but I really had a lot of fun with what I got.

You can't stream it in HD on a computer, only on other devices.

• Locked thread