Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11297269/Cows-communicate-using-individual-sounds-like-human-names.html

quote:

Cows and their calves communicate using calls that are individualised in a similar way to human names, scientists have discovered.
Researchers found it was possible to identify particular cows and calves from the exclusive sounds they made.
The British team spent 10 months studying the ways cows talked to their young.
They identified two distinct maternal calls – low sounds when a mother was close to her calf, and louder, higher pitched calls when they were out of visual contact.
Calves, in return, called out to their mothers when they wanted to start suckling.

But the most important finding was that all three calls were individualised – reserved for a particular cow and calf so that each recognised the other.

One time a vegan tried to one-up me by asking if it was preferable for all meat to be marked with the day it was killed. Now I want each package of meat to be marked with the cow's name too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
My pigs are way, way smarter than my dogs and I will still eat them because they taste really good to me

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

birds do this too :eng101:

http://www.themarysue.com/parrot-parents-name-babies/
http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2011/07/07/rspb.2011.0932.full

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok I'm not contesting this, but how do the cows know what names are taken already? I mean if every cow is called Steve it defeats the point of having names.

naem
May 29, 2011

I love animals and respect them and know they have feelings and are intelligent and experience life in its entirety as do we.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Well, on that note, another piece of news, although less radical - Some animals are officially recognized to have culture.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

supermikhail posted:

Well, on that note, another piece of news, although less radical - Some animals are officially recognized to have culture.
Not impressed until they develop counterculture.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yogurt is not an animal no matter how long it's been in the fridge.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

spud posted:

Ok I'm not contesting this, but how do the cows know what names are taken already? I mean if every cow is called Steve it defeats the point of having names.

Because cows are girls and nobody names their daughter Steve :rolleyes:

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
now to find out if they scream their mothers names when they're being slaughtered

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Yo, imma blob posted:

Stevie Nicks

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Butthead posted:

Stevie Nicks

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
I'm not convinced cows are advanced enough for nicknames.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Yo, imma blob posted:

My mother wanted to call me Stevie, and furthermore I'm a cow so I guess you're wrong. :smug:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Counterpoint: Plants know when they are being eaten and they don't like it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Organisms don't like to die?!

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

dogcrash truther posted:

now to find out if they scream their mothers names when they're being slaughtered

We should test this in a contrled humane way....whos hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Slugworth posted:

Not impressed until they develop counterculture.

Orcas. One group will be all like 'We undertake this violent dance of death and life, we the masters and keepers of the sea, hunting the greatest and grandest prey of all, the Humpback Whale', having songs and dances and feasts. Then some splinter group goes gently caress THAT and throw themselves onto beaches to chase seals, and tip over icebergs to be dicks to penguins.

• Locked thread