Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

The back of the game box posted:

Totaler Krieg!
This game stretches from the fjords of Narvik to the sands at El Alamein, from the gates of Moscow to the sandy beaches of Normandy, from the Spanish Civil War to the last days in Berlin and everything in between. No game tells the story of World War II in Europe like Totaler Krieg!

Dai Senso!
This game stretches from the border clashes at Marco Polo Bridge and Nomonhan to the titanic clashes at Midway, Guadalcanal and Leyte, to the firestorms of Tokyo, Hiroshima and Nagasaki and everything in between. No game tells the story of World War II in Asia and the Pacific like Dai Senso!

Welcome to Axis Empires, the absurdly large game of World War II! We will be playing the Whole drat Thing, from 1937 and the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War to whenever-the-heck-we-actually-finish-this-monstrosity, as I don't foresee that being any time soon! I'll be using the VASSAL module to keep track of everything, and Dropbox to host images.

Axis Empires Rules & Errata
TK Updated Rules
DS Updated Rules

For those looking to play, good news! I already have three players who know what they're doing for the factions, so experience is not required! If you'd like to try your hand at this, please post which faction/country your interested in and we'll work something out.

Taran_Wanderer fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Game Map

Charts and Tables
Zip file of all Option Cards
TK Axis Option Cards
DS Axis Option Cards
TK Western Option Cards
DS Western Option Cards
TK Soviet Option Cards
DS Soviet Option Cards

TK Current and Pending Options
DS Current and Pending Options

TK Axis Force Pool
TK Axis Organization and Conditionals
TK Western Force Pool
TK Western Organization and Conditionals
TK Soviet Force Pool
TK Soviet Organization and Conditionals

DS Axis Force Pool
DS Axis Organization and Conditionals
DS Western Force Pool
DS Western Organization and Conditionals
DS Soviet Force Pool
DS Soviet Organization and Conditionals

Taran_Wanderer fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 4, 2015

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Countries without a player are active and up for grabs. Players in bold are faction leaders and have the final word on that faction's actions.

Axis
Japan - Tekopo
Germany - Majumbo
Bulgaria

Western
blackmongoose - USA
Great Britain - CNN Sports Ticker
France - Panzeh
Kiangsu
Austria
Yunnan
Greece
Szechwan

Soviet
COOL CORN - Russia
Kansu - frankenfreak
Mongolia
Hopeh

Inactive Minors
Finland - Lord Frisk
Italy - Zikan
Poland - Tevery Best

Taran_Wanderer fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 6, 2015

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
TK Axis Played
Goering Works Established,German Rearmament,Continuing Rearmament,Military Purges,Demand Austria,Demand Czechoslovakia,Support Nationalists,Support Nationalists

TK Axis Removed
Pact of Steel,Ribbentrop Diplomacy,Demand Gau Moselland,Demand Memelland,Demand Switzerland,Production Directive: Atomic Bomb,Production Directive: Jet Fighters

DS Axis Played
Food Shortages,Army Program,Economic Program,Demand Inner Mongolia,Diplomatic Overtures,Japanese Mobilization,First Army Expansion,Imperial Rule Assistance Association

DS Axis Removed
Navy Program,Political Program,Economic Expansion,First Navy Expansion,Second Navy Expansion,Political Expansion,Imperial Directive: Chemical Weapons,Imperial Directive: I-boat Strategy,Imperial Directive: Naval Projects

TK Western Played
Change of Governments,British Rearmament,French Rearmament,Maginot Line Completed,Western Guarantees,Negotiations with Belgium,Balkan League

TK Western Removed
French Military Reforms,Franco-Russian Entente,French Military Expanded

DS Western Played
Kuling Declaration,League of Nations,Philippine Independence,Sian Agreement,Quarantine Address,Aid to China,Relocate Chinese Industries

DS Western Removed
Chinese Mobilization,Philippine/US Army Integration,Chiang Challenges Japan,Lend-Lease to Allies,Manila Fortifications

TK Soviet Played
Stalin Line Constructed,Russian Rearmament,Political Purges,New Five Year Plan,Eastern Bloc,Pre-War Production

TK Soviet Removed
Military Purges,Tukhachevsky Reforms,Russian Mobilization,Red Army Mobilization,Collective Security,Franco-Russian Entente,Negotiations with Baltic States,Litvinov Diplomacy,Central Alliance,Demand Eastern Poland,Balkan Pact,Comintern,Great Patriotic War,Red Army Conspiracy,Production Directorate: Red Navy

DS Soviet Played
Mongol Purges,Russian Rearmament,New Five Year Plan,Lanchow Agreement,Pact with China,Asian Diplomacy,Aid to China

DS Soviet Removed
Eastern Line,Production Directive: Red Navy

Taran_Wanderer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 20, 2015

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
:neckbeard:

So excited for this. For those reading/playing that aren't familiar with AE, luckily the first few years go really fast since there's no actual "war" going on. I'm actually only really well-versed in TK, but I'll brush up on some of the DS-specific stuff.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Signing up as Germany!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'll take France(I can play the Europe Board W. Allies if needed.).

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
I wonder how paint-drinkingly stupid I have to be to take this on while still muddling through Virgin Queen.

gently caress it. Kiangsu or Kansu. Whichever one is easier. If they're about the same, coin flip it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gutter Owl posted:

I wonder how paint-drinkingly stupid I have to be to take this on while still muddling through Virgin Queen.

gently caress it. Kiangsu or Kansu. Whichever one is easier. If they're about the same, coin flip it.

Kansu is the Communist Chinese main faction, Kiangsu is the Nationalist Chinese main faction. Kiangsu is a bit stronger, and controls more of the country.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
By the way, do you want to play with the revised DS rules? Blackmongoose can explain.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Sign me up for the Chinese faction Gutter Owl doesn't pick!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Posted this in the wargames thread as a response to someone, but it's good info for anyone interested in TK (whether it's this game or just playing by yourself/with friends)

quote:

The game doesn't start until Sunday, so you can download VASSAL/the VASSAL module along with the rulebook/the playbook (both from GMT) and get up to speed within a couple days. The playbook has really good intro scenarios that ease you into the game.

For instance, the first training scenario for Totaler Krieg (A.1) is Case White in Poland. It's very small, and it literally says "read these rules sections before playing, and read these rules sections as you play. This first scenario will teach you basic movement and combat." Then the second training scenario teaches a little more, then a little more, then you're advised to read a few sections that will bring you up to speed for a full game. It's written really well and eases you in with baby steps, for the most part.

It's certainly not a beginner board game or anything by any means, but with the way the playbook/rulebook are laid out, I personally found it a lot easier to learn than a lot of other games. I mean, I still beat my head against A Victory Denied which has like a 10-page rulebook, just because it's so vaguely written.

The faction leaders (Me, Tekopo, BlackMongoose I think?) will be making the high-level decisions along with card choices and stuff, but actual unit movement and combat within the minor countries will be handled by the controlling person, if I understand correctly.

So, don't be scared by the enormous map and tons of counters! TK is my new darling game, and I've put a ton of hours into playing it solo and via PBDropbox now. It's so fun and elegant :shobon:

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Panzeh posted:

By the way, do you want to play with the revised DS rules? Blackmongoose can explain.

It might be easier not to because the VASSAL mod doesn't have the strat hex change yet. I'm not 100% sure what's in the playtest rules and what's been officially errated, but I can look into that this weekend and give my recommendation (The Japanese steps being lowered is the only change I think is absolutely necessary, the others just make things a little nicer).

Edit:

Panzeh posted:

I'll take France(I can play the Europe Board W. Allies if needed.).

I'm planning on running the US and cardplay on both boards (subject to my co-factioners wishes of course), but if we don't get a Britain, I can take them on the Pacific board if you can run them on the Europe board.

blackmongoose fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 19, 2014

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Throwing caution to the wind, sign me up for Great Britain. I'll start reading up on the rules and such. I'm currently away on holidays but will be home Monday my time (Sunday for those Americans amongst you).

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
It's come to my attention that the rulebook I was using was a little out of date. Links to updated rulebooks have been added to the first post.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'd like to pick up Poland, if that's possible.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

I'd like to pick up Poland, if that's possible.

Sure! Anyone watching is free to pick up any country that might come up, though keep in mind they won't do anything until they get activated.

I've also given Gutter Owl Kiangsu and frankenfreak Kansu.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I would like to play as Italy if players signing up as minors is allowed.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Onward to glory, frankenfreak! Славься, отечество!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Is there a list of inactive minor countries available? I'd throw my hat in the ring for Finland, given their later activity and gnarly dudes on skis.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Lord Frisk posted:

Is there a list of inactive minor countries available? I'd throw my hat in the ring for Finland, given their later activity and gnarly dudes on skis.

Yeah, the rulebook has one. I'd put the list up myself, but it's pretty big.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

Yeah, I can confirm that Finland does in fact get ski infantry in this game.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lord Frisk posted:

Do keep in mind that the historical Winter War is a fairly abstract thing in this game and a result on the incident table when you fail to immediately get a country's ceded territory. In this case it's a couple step losses for the Soviets but they still get the territory. It's very rare for a minor country in this game to get activated(as in deploying units) without being involved somehow with a major power on its side, mostly involving the UK/France or USSR and their respective minors having different policies but not the initial one(the initial policy on minors kicks everything to the incident table rather than letting ww2 start. this is how Germany makes and gets its territorial demands).

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I don't need to see them fight to know my ski infantry kicks rear end. Given Finland's strange predicament with the Soviets, I hadn't expected to do anything but read along and occasionally yell "Sisu!"

It warms my heart to know Ski Infantry were included.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Alright, folks, it's time to get the last bits of Setup done. Specifically, the following units are already on the board, but may be placed elsewhere within the listed restriction:

On the TK Map
In any hex(es) in Germany – two German 1-2-3 infantry
In any hex in Britain – one British 1-2-2 infantry
In any hex(es) in France – three French 0-1-2 infantry
In any hex(es) in Russia – six Russian 1-1-2 infantry, two Russian 1-1-3 cavalry

On the DS Map
In any hex(es) in Manchukuo – two Japanese 3-3-1 infantry, four Kwantung 2-1-1 infantry, one Kwantung 2-1-1 HQ
In any hex(es) in Kiangsu – one Kiangsu 1-2-1 infantry, one Kiangsu 2-3-1 infantry
In any hex(es) in Russia – two Russian 3-3-1 infantry
In any hex(es) in Kansu – one Kansu 2-3-1 infantry

I'd like each player to post whether or not they'd like to move these units, and where they'd to move them to, if applicable. After this is done, I will determine which Allied faction controls the Republican Support in Spain and which branch is leading the Japanese Government. Faction Leaders will then PM me their Pending Option Card selections. If they do not wish to wait, they may PM their selections now.

For this game, I will not be enforcing any hard deadlines, and will attempt to update as often as possible. As long as players can post once per day, we should be able to keep this moving at a decent pace. I am not as familiar with the rules as I would like, so I will be relying on those with experience to keep us all straight. If you have any questions about the rules, please post in the thread or contact your Faction Leader.

I've also added a zip file of all the option cards. Feel free to peruse these so you have an idea what can happen, and can then bug convince your Faction Leader to play cards to help your country. I plan on uploading these somewhere and making a big list of links, but this will do for now.

Good Luck, everyone!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Place one Kwantung 2-1-1 in Harbin in Manchukuo

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
My guys in Russia are fine where they are.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
British fellows are fine and dandy where they are

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Hey guys, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna need to drop out. I've been dog sick this weekend, and haven't been able to focus on reading and understanding rules. I won't be ready to play this week. Please give my slot to someone else.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
German troops are good where they are

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

Hey guys, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna need to drop out. I've been dog sick this weekend, and haven't been able to focus on reading and understanding rules. I won't be ready to play this week. Please give my slot to someone else.

Alright. Feel free to jump back in at a later date.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Since Gutter Owl is out for now, move the Kiangsu 1-2-1 up to Kaifeng and the 2-3-1 is good where it is.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pick a random Kwa unit btw.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Kansu's 2-3-1 stays.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Republican Support roll: 5
The Soviet Faction controls the Republicans in Spain.

Japanese Government roll: 4
The Navy is leading the Japanese Government.

Game Map and DS Axis Organization and Conditionals updated.

Faction Leaders, please PM me your Pending Option Card selections.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Since Germany and Japan are meant to function as two separate entities, I will advise but not decide the cards for Germany. I'll still be sending my japan cards.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I have a confession here. I'm having trouble with the colours of the Strategic Hexes, so if I get the VPs wrong, let me know.

Seasonal Victory Point Check

Allied Crusade Marker is in the 1VP box on the TK VP Track.
Allied Crusade Marker is in the 1VP box on the DS VP Track.

Seasonal Phase
Axis reveals Goering Works Established on the TK map.
Eight 2-2-4 Panzers are added to the TK Axis Force Pool.
Axis reveals Economic Program on the DS map.
Axis removes Political Program and Imperial Directive: I-boat Strategy from the DS deck.
Japanese Government Marker and the Axis Scratch Convoy are added to the DS Delay box.

DS Delay Box, TK Current and Pending Options, DS Current and Pending Options, TK Axis Force Pool, and DS Axis Organization and Conditionals updated.

Axis, please PM your Pending Card selection.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Axis selects Pending Option Cards.

Replacements:
Japan receives two infantry steps

Initial Administrative Phase

Axis, please post how you would like to take your replacements, if you would like to place any Convoys, and any actions you might have for the Organization Segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Place both steps in Nagasaki 1-1-1, place a convoy in Yellow Sea.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 24, 2014

• Locked thread