Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
:neckbeard:

So excited for this. For those reading/playing that aren't familiar with AE, luckily the first few years go really fast since there's no actual "war" going on. I'm actually only really well-versed in TK, but I'll brush up on some of the DS-specific stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Posted this in the wargames thread as a response to someone, but it's good info for anyone interested in TK (whether it's this game or just playing by yourself/with friends)

quote:

The game doesn't start until Sunday, so you can download VASSAL/the VASSAL module along with the rulebook/the playbook (both from GMT) and get up to speed within a couple days. The playbook has really good intro scenarios that ease you into the game.

For instance, the first training scenario for Totaler Krieg (A.1) is Case White in Poland. It's very small, and it literally says "read these rules sections before playing, and read these rules sections as you play. This first scenario will teach you basic movement and combat." Then the second training scenario teaches a little more, then a little more, then you're advised to read a few sections that will bring you up to speed for a full game. It's written really well and eases you in with baby steps, for the most part.

It's certainly not a beginner board game or anything by any means, but with the way the playbook/rulebook are laid out, I personally found it a lot easier to learn than a lot of other games. I mean, I still beat my head against A Victory Denied which has like a 10-page rulebook, just because it's so vaguely written.

The faction leaders (Me, Tekopo, BlackMongoose I think?) will be making the high-level decisions along with card choices and stuff, but actual unit movement and combat within the minor countries will be handled by the controlling person, if I understand correctly.

So, don't be scared by the enormous map and tons of counters! TK is my new darling game, and I've put a ton of hours into playing it solo and via PBDropbox now. It's so fun and elegant :shobon:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Onward to glory, frankenfreak! Славься, отечество!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lord Frisk posted:

Is there a list of inactive minor countries available? I'd throw my hat in the ring for Finland, given their later activity and gnarly dudes on skis.

Yeah, I can confirm that Finland does in fact get ski infantry in this game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My guys in Russia are fine where they are.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Pending cards PM'd.

Replacements (2 inf. steps):
1-1-2 cav. unit in Vladivostok (e5301)
0-1-1 inf. unit in Blagoveshchensk (w5727)

Organization:
flip the 3-3-1 in Blagoveshchensk (w5727), return the 0-1-1 to the force pool

---

That's all. Just a quick rules check, since I haven't played the combined game before - if my DS card gives me replacements, I can only take those on the DS map, correct?

Also, just as a suggestion to throw out - one thing I've done in PBEM games to keep things from getting too stale, is have each faction play en entire season instead of just a single turn during the pre-war. I haven't run into a situation where we've had to back up and fix things or interrupt things halfway through the season. There's not enough movement and combat (or, any at all actually) to warrant 2-3 turns per season in my opinion. Just throwing it out there.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

I'm okay with it until we get to limited war in DS, can't estimate when it will happen though :q:

That's what I meant, just during pre-war.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

silvergoose posted:

For those of us watching that don't entirely know why things are interesting, why was that so interesting, Tekopo?

I was about to make a long post, but realized I'd totally be giving away my strategy! Heh, whoops.

I'll let Tekopo give his thoughts instead :)

Suffice it to say, it's very ahistorical compared to actual events... Which is something I always find fun and intriguing :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Soviets are all set for the rest of Spring.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Remember all, we're doing 1 event card phase, and then 3 sets of support/org/ops/etc per person (because it's Summer... other seasons get 2).

Not that there's a lot to do right now, but if you want to build-up and break down your guys multiple times, or just march them in circles around your country, whatever. :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Replacement inf. step goes to Minsk.

No moves or support or organization. PMing pending card right now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Taran_Wanderer posted:

How do you want to resolve your events?

...good question! Don't know how I glossed over that.

Bell Tolls for Thee x3:
Lose a step in Odessa for a CW Victory in Bilbao
Lose the step that was put in Minsk for a CW Victory in Barcelona
Treat the third as No Result

Allies Support Resistance:
Targeting Kwantung Logistics in Mukden

edited to add locations and change ASR result, since I was looking in the TK book instead of the DS book.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 5, 2015

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Taran, would it be possible to have a list of cards that have been played? Or am I missing that somewhere? Usually when I play, there's a discard pile so I know what cards I've played, and know what cards I CAN play.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Pending options sent - no support/org/operations for me this turn.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

silvergoose posted:

holy gently caress when does the actual fighting start

:v:

Usually around the 6th Axis turn, we move into Limited War. Depends on how aggressive the Axis is being, and how much they want to build up troops and prep vs. just blitzing.

So, late '38 or early '39.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Cards PMd - no support/org/ops I want to do this turn.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
No support/combos/ops I want to do this round. Hopeh and Szechuan are acting as nice buffers... for now :ohdear:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And just so I understand right - is the Soviet faction at war, or is Communist China at war? Very important distinction I need to understand.

One means that the SU can't invade Japan, the other means it can.

I can't find anything in the rulebook about what the "Border Disputes" policy actually means.

edit-- nevermind, PACs just clicked for me. The policies are basically varying levels of "this country won't be in the war for a while." Border Disputes means "a little while." Neutrality means "most of the war." Etc.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 21, 2015

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

The way it works is that if there is a marker, the faction is not at war. If there is no marker (like for example, Communist China and Nationalist China), then there is war. The name of the marker itself does not matter apart for the fact that if you have to remove a marker, you have to remove all markers of that name (which is the reason why I'm at war with both Chinas atm).

Thus the SU is currently NOT at war with Japan.

Right, that makes sense now. See my edit above.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Whoops. Not sure how I missed that.

I'm swamped at work at the moment, but I'll do all my turn stuff today sometime.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Okay change the active card to 9a - Molotov Diplomacy. Figure it's okay to just post since it's the active card and not pending.

Seasonal Phase

TK - Add one RUS infantry step to Minsk.

DS - Add one KAN 1-1-1 Exp infantry step to Yenan (5021).

---

I'll resolve the rest after the TK card political roll.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Taran just told me no result on the Molotov roll. Nothing else I need to do this turn.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Still buffered from the bad guys. Nothing I need to combine or do this turn.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

blackmongoose posted:

You got a Neutrals Pressured in TK you need to use

I do indeed.

Place influence in Rumania.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Marker goes in 4521 (Changsha)

1st Surf. Fleet goes into the delay box

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Pass.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Stalin is still twiddling his thumbs while ruthlessly killing officers of his army.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Retreat:
wPac5023 -> 5022 -> 5021 if I can stack with a Kansu unit, if not I guess my only option is to take the last retreat as a step loss.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

blackmongoose posted:

Stacking limits are only checked at the end of a segment, so you can temporarily stack with them. Fortunately, the attrition will kill the unit before you have to resolve the overstack. Also note that the Kansu unit is also eligible for attrition losses once you've retreated onto it - that doesn't matter here, but if it were a one step unit retreating, there would be an extra attrition loss that you would be forced to take on the Kansu unit.

So, it doesn't really matter where I retreat to, attrition is going to kill him anyway.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

blackmongoose posted:

Actually, now that I've looked at the map, you can't retreat that way because you go through a Nationalist ZOC, which isn't allowed since Nats and Commies are enemies. I think you have to take two retreats to Tsingtao, take the third as a step loss, then die to attrition.

Good point. I take 2 steps of attrition anyway, so that would kill the unit no matter what I do right? I'm just going to go to Tsingtao and then die quietly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
1-1-3 tank in 3609
Two 1-1-2 infantry in Odessa
Two 1-1-2 infantry in Leningrad
0-1-1 Kansu infantry in 5019 (Lanchow?)

Wow I just realized how little the Kansu troops can move. Yikes.

No movements to do.

---

Are the played cards lists in the OP up to date? SA is slow as molasses here at work, so if I need to go through and figure out what cards I can play, it may be a bit later today when I have time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Sorry for the delay. Had an unexpected death in the family so I'm tied up today and tomorrow. Either I can get my cards in Thursday or you can pick for me, I'm okay with either.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Again, sorry for the delay. Option cards sent.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
No Soviet support/org

Soviet Op Move

Move KAN [13] 0-1-1 from 4919 to 5020

No Soviet conditionals

...and waiting on the Gerries.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Card Phase

3 TK Russian infantry steps:
1-1-2 Inf to Dnepropetrovsk
[Can cavalry be placed as infantry? If so...]
2x 1-1-3 Cav to Kharkov.
[If those are not standard cavalry, then disregard.]

2 DS Russian infantry steps
0-1-1 Inf to Blagoveschensk
0-1-1 Inf to Vladivostok

1 DS Minor Country step
Mong 0-1-1 Inf to Ulan Bator

Org Phase

Replace one 1-1-2 in Minsk with a 0-3-0 Fortress.
Replace one 1-1-2 in Odessa with a 0-3-0 Fortress.

Ops Phase (+ Reserve Movement)

Move one 1-1-2 from Leningrad to 4207 (Pskov)
Move one 1-1-2 from Odessa to 3506 (Zhmerinka)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I just noticed that the two Mongolian cavalry in your Force Pool had their two step side face-up. I've now corrected this and you can take a one step cavalry if you'd like.

Fantastic. Go for that instead.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Soviet places a Russian 1-1-2 infantry in eEur3311 (Dnepropetrovsk).
Two Russian 1-1-3 cavalry are placed in eEur3613 (Kharkov).
Russian 0-1-1 infantry is placed in wPac5727 (Blagoveshchensk).
Russian 0-1-1 infantry is placed in ePac5301 (Vladivostok).
Mongolian 1-1-2 Exp cavalry is placed in wPac5621 (Ulan Bator).

Only one unit may be converted into a Line Fortress per turn.

In that case, just Minsk.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Waiting on Soviet.

Been busy all weekend - will post my turn in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Nothing I need to do.

Also, I'm going to be out of town for a little while - I don't want to hold the game up, is there anyone in waiting who would want to take the reins for a while?

If so, great, if not, I'll see what I can do.

• Locked thread