Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Buff Hardback posted:

Apparently the TMO version was held until today, so if you're on TMO or Fi that would explain the delay.

Fi didn't have a delay.

I've been on Fi for about 2 years now and I got the June update the day it released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Fi didn't necessarily delay it but Google does stagger updates across the population to catch bugs before they hit everyone; I'm on Fi with my 3a and didn't get the update until I explicitly checked for it just now. I think the policy of giving it to you when you check for it is even a relatively new thing, used to be you'd get it when they decided you got it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

hooah posted:

Hmm. I'm on Mint Mobile, which uses T-Mobile towers, so... Maybe?

Yeah, a Mint SIM would do it.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Rexxed posted:

The batteries are probably sourced from the same places but when I have to replace one on a good phone I get the ifixit kit for it since their guides are good and the kit includes some decent tools:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S7+Edge+Battery+Replacement/105877
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Android/Galaxy-S7-Edge-Replacement-Battery/IF329-033?o=4

Hey just wanted to say thanks for this, I ordered the whole kit. battery + decent tools/replacement adhesive setup for a decent price :tipshat: .

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

Apparently the TMO version was held until today, so if you're on TMO or Fi that would explain the delay.

I got my update on Monday and I'm on T-Mobile.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MREBoy posted:

Hey just wanted to say thanks for this, I ordered the whole kit. battery + decent tools/replacement adhesive setup for a decent price :tipshat: .

No problem. I've gotten their kits for my dad's old Nexus 5X and my Pixel and they've been good. The tweezers in particular were a notch above the cheap ones I buy for electronics stuff. I just get cheap ebay batteries for my phone farm and I suspect a lot of them are pulls from old phones that aren't bloated yet, so I try to avoid that if I'm going to carry the phone around and use it. Their site is also good for laptop and monitor repair guides if someone's made one for a particular model.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Recently the swipe up for home gesture has stopped working occasionally on my Oneplus 7 Pro, meaning I'll have to do it a few time till the phone registers it, anyone else have this as well?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've actually encountered this a bit recently on the Galaxy S20 Ultra as well which is odd.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

I've actually encountered this a bit recently on the Galaxy S20 Ultra as well which is odd.

Do you have it set to use the Google default gestures? That's what I'm using on my OP7, tho I haven't tested any of the other options.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, Google gestures.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Current rumor with the Pixel 4a is that it might actually have wireless charging.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/06/05/google-pixel-4a-leak-wireless-charging/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not sure a placeholder image from a Chinese case manufacturer is really something to go by.

They probably mock that shot of up for all devices to advertise their cases work with wireless charging.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Using a Chinese phone in the US is inadvisable due to losing certain bands, correct? In my case 66 and 71 (T-Mobile)

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Went with Nokia 2.3. Thank you for your kind suggestions.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Finally got the June update overnight. Not sure if this was happening before, but lol wtf Google? Look at the left side of the status bar! The cell signal and battery icons are just gone in landscape mode when the bottom of the phone is to the right.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

hooah posted:

Finally got the June update overnight. Not sure if this was happening before, but lol wtf Google? Look at the left side of the status bar! The cell signal and battery icons are just gone in landscape mode when the bottom of the phone is to the right.

What phone? I have Pixel 3 with the June update and don't see that when rotating my phone 90° counterclockwise on Chrome.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Pixel 3. I just realized that it's probably because of Fluid Navigation Gestures.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Went on a long walk for the first time in ages and am still impressed by space zoom. Can make out details on the top of a 100 storey tower from over 3km away.

Normal camera

Space zooooom on the tallest tower.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Is there a better choice than the OP 7T Pro at 639€ if I'm looking for a clean OS and timely updates?

New job is too demanding for my current phone, so it's time to upgrade. Other requirements are being able to handle a full day outdoors with spotty signal, while occasionally shooting squirrels and dragonflies. Pixels are unfortunately out, since I've been burned multiple times before and I just don't trust them to not fail suddenly.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

seravid posted:

Is there a better choice than the OP 7T Pro at 639€ if I'm looking for a clean OS and timely updates?

New job is too demanding for my current phone, so it's time to upgrade. Other requirements are being able to handle a full day outdoors with spotty signal, while occasionally shooting squirrels and dragonflies. Pixels are unfortunately out, since I've been burned multiple times before and I just don't trust them to not fail suddenly.

That would be a great choice. Skip the pixel line. Major os changes have slowed down and OnePlus is usually good with updates anyway.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
So I'm looking to get a OP7 or 8. It seems Tmobile is the only option here in the US, I'm currently on AT&T.

What's everyone's experience with Tmobile, is the service and connectivity ok?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

So I'm looking to get a OP7 or 8. It seems Tmobile is the only option here in the US, I'm currently on AT&T.

There is a T-Mobile thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601554

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GlassEye-Boy posted:

The unlocked OP phones from current and past generation work on all US carriers so long as you buy the ones destined for the NA market.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
^^ thanks, I'll take a look

bull3964 posted:

The unlocked OP phones from current and past generation work on all US carriers so long as you buy the ones destined for the NA market.

Oh nice, I'll check it out. What's the best place you've found to buy them?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, I've always just bought directly from OnePlus.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GlassEye-Boy posted:

^^ thanks, I'll take a look

Oh nice, I'll check it out. What's the best place you've found to buy them?

T-Mobile has had good promos on OnePlus phones previously, but dunno if there’s anything now or not.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I mean, I've always just bought directly from OnePlus.

Same.

If you buy from TMO you can take advantage of no interest financing, but you'll be stuck with a TMO phone that will get updates much slower and potentially less updates overall.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I used my PayPal credit to buy my OP7Pro, I think it was only 6 months no interest, but that was enough time for me.

Still really enjoying the phone. The pop-up camera that I never use is probably my favorite part.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Google is still utter poo poo at manufacturing and managing supply. I ordered Pixel Buds last week from Google, they are not slated to arrive until July 14. I canceled that order today and ordered from Best Buy who now have them in stock and are delivering on Wednesday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As I start venturing out more and my friends and I are doing more outdoor evening activities since summer is basically here, I'm actually getting some field use of the OP8P's camera.

And you know what, it's legit good. Like "I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having my Pixel with me" good.

I'm not going to share pictures of my friends in a public place like this, but I can say I was snapping shots after midnight (both with and without night mode) in a backyard illuminated only by a projector screen 25 feet or so away and they are all usable.

Also, no astrophotography mode, but I did capture this hand held just pointing the phone at the sky with night mode on. Capture was only about 3 seconds. I imagine the stars would be crisper if a tripod was used.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
My Pixel 2 poo poo the bed around a month ago and I replaced it with a 3a. Now that I've had it for a solid 3 weeks I'm comfortable saying it's a direct downgrade. The screen isn't quite as good, the materials are much worse (slippery, rounded, shiny plastic that feels horrible in-hand), I'm using gestural navigation and for some reason 30% of my swipes from the edge don't register at all, the volume buttons are too tight, and the power button is loose and jiggly. It honestly just feels like a cheap piece of poo poo compared to the 2!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

My Pixel 2 poo poo the bed around a month ago and I replaced it with a 3a. Now that I've had it for a solid 3 weeks I'm comfortable saying it's a direct downgrade. The screen isn't quite as good, the materials are much worse (slippery, rounded, shiny plastic that feels horrible in-hand), I'm using gestural navigation and for some reason 30% of my swipes from the edge don't register at all, the volume buttons are too tight, and the power button is loose and jiggly. It honestly just feels like a cheap piece of poo poo compared to the 2!

I did the same thing, except I went to the 3a XL from the 2. I thought exactly the opposite.

And the gestural navigation sucks no matter what phone.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Couple questions about OnePlus phones:
1) without an always-on display or led, am I supposed to manually wake the phone like a peasant to check for notifications?
2) can I use the fingerprint scanner in darkness without blinding myself?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

seravid posted:

Couple questions about OnePlus phones:
1) without an always-on display or led, am I supposed to manually wake the phone like a peasant to check for notifications?
2) can I use the fingerprint scanner in darkness without blinding myself?

Use double tap to wake or just pick up the device. it's Fine

No issues with #2

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You don't even need double tap. Just touching the screen will wake it to the point where you can see notifications or use the scanner if it didn't already wake up from you picking it up.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Good enough, thanks. 7T Pro should be delivered Friday. I'm actually excited about a new phone, that's neat.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Is the OnePlus 8 Pro the best in class on camera? I've been eyeballing either that or the new Galaxy phones. I'm a two year cycle kinda guy coming from a Pixel 3, and I feel like Google will offer nothing worthwhile this year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The telephoto and wide angle lenses are behind Samsung. They should had used a 12mp sensor instead of the OP7P 48mp for the wide angle as that sensor has some dynamic range issues and the 8mp telephoto is simply "usable". However, the main camera can go toe to toe with the best out there including low light and easily beats the S20 Ultra for dynamic range and white balance.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ah good to know, my wife has a Galaxy S10 so we can take good photos of bugs using hers.

Another dumb Q, maybe this is the wrong thread... what's the simplest way to share URLs from an android phone to an iPad? We just found an old iPad Air 2 and are using it as a kitchen ipad now, would be nice to find recipes on our phones and send them to the ipad quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Actually, if you are into bug photography, the macro mode on the OP8P is incredible.