Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

That's great, let me just take a screenshot of my home screen, the thing that's not in the app switcher.

Just use Power+Vol Down like it's always been.

It actually takes a screenshot of the app that's displayed in the switcher, or at least it did for me when I tried to show that button. The result was just a screenshot of Awful, not that app switcher view. Guessing they made that screenshot using power and volume down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sourdough posted:

It actually takes a screenshot of the app that's displayed in the switcher, or at least it did for me when I tried to show that button. The result was just a screenshot of Awful, not that app switcher view. Guessing they made that screenshot using power and volume down.

I understand that, I'm just saying if you want to take a screenshot of your home screen you can't from the app switcher because the home screen does not appear in the app picker. Power+Vol Down just works everywhere.

I do like the new UI for the screenshots though which comes up regardless of method used.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I typical use power+volume, but occasionally use the screenshot option in the Recents because it doesn't capture the nav or status bars

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I understand that, I'm just saying if you want to take a screenshot of your home screen you can't from the app switcher because the home screen does not appear in the app picker. Power+Vol Down just works everywhere.

I do like the new UI for the screenshots though which comes up regardless of method used.

Ah well, I mentioned it because I was surprised the app switcher screenshot button didn't take a screenshot of what was on my screen :v:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

After a couple full days my snapdragon fold 2 seems to have better battery performance than my exynos s20 ultra.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Few new image leaks today:

First up, Pixel 4a 5G.

These come from the UK retailer John Lewis and are official Google shots. I'd say that this means that winfuture.de are 99% truthful in their specs since their images of the Pixel 5 are just like these.

https://www.johnlewis.com/google-pixel-4a-smartphone-android-6gb-ram-5-81-inch-4g-lte-sim-free-128gb/p5130137

Next up is the Pixel 5 (in green!), the Nest Audio, and the new Chromecast with Google TV all in the same promo shot.

https://twitter.com/rquandt/status/1309103940823330834

Also the new Nest Audio (Google Home successor) is showing up in stores now at both Walmart and Lowes.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/24/nest-audio-speakers-are-already-showing-up-in-stores/

EDIT: Roland is the author of the WinFuture.de posts on the Pixel 5 and Pixel 4a 5G, he's confused about the back of the Pixel 5.

https://twitter.com/rquandt/status/1308541349327769602

He updated the P5's article to state it has metal sides and not a metal back...but after reading the spec sheet, he's confused. It might be the weird soft touch stuff from the Pixel 4 line?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 24, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Man I am not a fan of all these desaturated pastel colors Google loves slapping on all of the Pixel phones. I was excited when you said green, but then I actually look at it and, yea, no thanks :(

I've dropped my Pixel 3 more than all of my other phones combined so I guess I finally need to just start slapping cases on things, in which case who cares what color it is but I'm tired of buying Black because no other colors look good

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ThermoPhysical posted:

He updated the P5's article to state it has metal sides and not a metal back...but after reading the spec sheet, he's confused. It might be the weird soft touch stuff from the Pixel 4 line?

I'm going to stand by my initial gut feeling.

It's a metal unibody with cutouts to allow wireless charging/antenna/NFC coated with a polymer material similar to the Pixel 2.

Essentially, the perfect device body.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Man I am not a fan of all these desaturated pastel colors Google loves slapping on all of the Pixel phones. I was excited when you said green, but then I actually look at it and, yea, no thanks :(

I've dropped my Pixel 3 more than all of my other phones combined so I guess I finally need to just start slapping cases on things, in which case who cares what color it is but I'm tired of buying Black because no other colors look good

I know! I was really excited too about that green. I was thinking it was gonna be like a bright green like the orange was bright orange. But this is like....seafoam or mint.

You can get a clear case like I have on my Pixel 4 XL. I'll probably go for the black one and just get a clear case to show off the sparkles. :v: Reminds me of the Nexus 4.

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to stand by my initial gut feeling.

It's a metal unibody with cutouts to allow wireless charging/antenna/NFC coated with a polymer material similar to the Pixel 2.

Essentially, the perfect device body.

For some reason, I'm worried that it's not gonna be unibody... but they are basing it on the Pixel 4a which is a unibody so...

Also my Pixel 4 XL has started the day with 35% after watching one video last night via Plex. Awesome.

I'm really looking forward to this battery life and I hope it's good.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was hoping for a nice, rich Hunter/Forest green :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also my Pixel 4 XL has started the day with 35% after watching one video last night via Plex. Awesome.

I'm really looking forward to this battery life and I hope it's good.

You either have a defective device (which getting a new phone or warranty replacement will resolve) or you have an abnormal app profile that will kill any device.

What you are seeing is in no way normal for a Pixel 4XL and a SD765 and 300mAh more battery capacity isn't the actual solution.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sab669 posted:

That would've been cool too, honestly.

bull3964 posted:

You either have a defective device (which getting a new phone or warranty replacement will resolve) or you have an abnormal app profile that will kill any device.

What you are seeing is in no way normal for a Pixel 4XL and a SD765 and 300mAh more battery capacity isn't the actual solution.

I'm actually switching to the 5 because of the fingerprint reader more than the battery life.

Thought it might actually be Chrome or something.

(I too hate the screenshot thing in Android 11...but the Logitech BT keyboard I got for my iPad connects to my phone as well and has a screenshot button so I think I'm ok for a while :v)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sab669 posted:

I wanted an orange one, soon my phone and headphones will no longer match

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, we KNEW orange wasn't going to happen. Google never repeats the signature color year to year.

You can always go black and put a dbrand skin on it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I don't want a skin that peels up around the edges after i put it into my pocket a few dozen times, or a screen protector that gets bits of dust and crud around the edges and i especially don't want a case that makes my already too huge phone even bigger and unwieldier while collecting more dust and pocket crud just sell me the orange phone

But yeah i'm still going to buy the too big pixel 5 because it's the least-bad phone and maybe if i buy enough things or the right thing it will fill the emptiness inside of me

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I might get the green anyway with another Spigen clear case so I can say I have a green phone.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Well, we KNEW orange wasn't going to happen. Google never repeats the signature color year to year.

You can always go black and put a dbrand skin on it.

dbrand skin + a clear case finally got me the Definitely Pink phone I wanted the Not Pink P3 to be

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

XIII posted:

dbrand skin + a clear case finally got me the Definitely Pink phone I wanted the Not Pink P3 to be

LOL. I've been rocking a skin OVER a case since my 6P. I should get something obnoxious for my P5. Yellow carbon fiber or pastel pink or something... Chances are I'll go with a subtle black on black pattern, like usual.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

sharkytm posted:

LOL. I've been rocking a skin OVER a case since my 6P. I should get something obnoxious for my P5. Yellow carbon fiber or pastel pink or something... Chances are I'll go with a subtle black on black pattern, like usual.

I never thought of putting a skin ON the case... I don't know why, it's basically a sticker.

Maybe I'll put the Apple stickers from my iPad on a case.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What's this poo poo?

I know 3rd parties can make quizzes, but I don't know what the angle here is.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

But did they pay you?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

owls or something posted:

But did they pay you?

$0.80! It was one of the bigger payouts I've gotten.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Google might be using this for the Pixel 5's wireless charging.

It might actually be a metal device with wireless and reverse charging.

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2015/07/28/qualcomm-first-announce-wireless-charging-metal-smartphones

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/1309135941894901761

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/1309135952141524995

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/1309135966595158023

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 25, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rezence charging doesn't have any market at all right now. I really doubt Google is going to be the first to adopt a standard that has zero accessories.

Also, that would make reverse wireless charging pointless since there would be nothing to charge.

I'm really digging the sandstone like texture.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 25, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, it seems to be pretty much the Firewire of wireless charging.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Rezence charging doesn't have any market at all right now. I really doubt Google is going to be the first to adopt a standard that has zero accessories.

Also, that would make reverse wireless charging pointless since there would be nothing to charge.

I'm really digging the sandstone like texture.

I kind of doubt it too..but...it is Google. They probably are doing like with Soli and stuffing a new tech into a phone in hopes it'll catch on one day but it won't and it'll be taken out in the next phone.

That being said, that green is starting to grow on me and I really kind of want it. I'm also interested in the challenge it'll probably be to get one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, if you preorder there shouldn't be much challenge. I've never really had an issue getting any Pixel phone at launch. Also, as of last year, they release on a bunch of different outlets the same day.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

I can't help but notice that there's no phone icon on the dock. Am I really so old and stale that I still use my phone to phone people and places every day?

That aside, my main hopes for the 5 are better battery life than the 3 and a return to the kind of UX fluidity I used to have with my Pixels 1 and 2.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

ThermoPhysical posted:

That being said, that green is starting to grow on me and I really kind of want it. I'm also interested in the challenge it'll probably be to get one.

Pixel is about 3% of the phone market. You can get it

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Eh, if you preorder there shouldn't be much challenge. I've never really had an issue getting any Pixel phone at launch. Also, as of last year, they release on a bunch of different outlets the same day.

I'm wondering if they won't do preorders this year however the one Pixel 5 case that's out now will ship Oct 15th so that's probably when the device will be out.

You're right about the multiple retailers too, I'll probably go with Amazon again if Google Store doesn't have a "buy this, get Chromecast + Android TV free" thing.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I can't help but notice that there's no phone icon on the dock. Am I really so old and stale that I still use my phone to phone people and places every day?

That aside, my main hopes for the 5 are better battery life than the 3 and a return to the kind of UX fluidity I used to have with my Pixels 1 and 2.

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1309270211783204870

Maybe the bad news is it's not a phone. :v:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to silence notifications on a scheduled, per-app basis? E.g. to turn off my work email notifications outside of work hours.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I haven't found one. I wish there were.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You know you can put whatever icons you want on the dock, right?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

CLAM DOWN posted:

You know you can put whatever icons you want on the dock, right?
"That person apparently uses their phone to phone people so rarely that they removed the icon from the dock altogether" was supposed to be the point there, I think.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

"That person apparently uses their phone to phone people so rarely that they removed the icon from the dock altogether" was supposed to be the point there, I think.

Ahhh gotcha

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The last phone call in my dialer history was 11 days ago.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

hooah posted:

Is there any way to silence notifications on a scheduled, per-app basis? E.g. to turn off my work email notifications outside of work hours.

Are you able to use the official Microsoft Outlook app for your work email? You can schedule Do Not Disturb hours from inside the app. I've also used an app called Volume Scheduler to just adjust system volume on a schedule.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

hooah posted:

I haven't used this, but it was recommended to me at some point: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sgarcia.quiet_for_gmail&hl=en_US. If you have an actual work profile, you should be able to turn that off. Not sure if Tasker can schedule that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Bandire posted:

Are you able to use the official Microsoft Outlook app for your work email? You can schedule Do Not Disturb hours from inside the app. I've also used an app called Volume Scheduler to just adjust system volume on a schedule.

No, we use the Citrix Secure suite, which kind of blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Hello thread. I got my Pixel in 2016 and it's served me pretty well since then, but I'm starting to see charge issues so I'd like to get the battery replaced. I'm still happy with my phone, so I don't feel the need to upgrade to something new. Would replacing it at a UBreakIFix for $80 be my best option? Thanks!