Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Could not find a phone tech support thread.

I bought a Nokia 5.3 in September when my old phone was starting to die, which was suggested by the recommendation thread. In the last month or two, I have been having periodic trouble using wifi and bluetooth at the same time. It's fine if I stream media (Pandora/YouTube) with the built-in speakers or Bluetooth with something that isn't streaming such as a podcast. Initially, I was having in-apartment wifi problems on all devices, so it wasn't clear this was an independent problem, though now I'm more confident something is wrong. I never had this problem with my old Samsung whatever it is. The wireless headset I use works fine when paired with my main PC, so I don't think it's that. If it's based on simultaneous usage, such as other people in the apartment, it's hard to tell but I kinda doubt it. Sometimes it works when it's just me and my work laptop, and sometimes it doesn't.

I looked up ways to fix it but the only relevant advice I found didn't help much, since the phone can't see the 5hz wifi (and neither can my main computer), so I can't switch them over. Most of the other tips I found have to do with things about computers, not phones. Some rando thinks it might have been a security update in early November but I don't see anything else corroborating that. I do indeed have that security update, and it is checking for updates on its own.

At some point I did drop it hard enough to crack the screen protector, but I don't recall the timeline to guess if it could be related. Also, all the dates and timeframes I'm giving could be wrong because of the time soup we all live in now; maybe it just always sucked?

Any thoughts on what I should do to diagnose or correct this issue? I don't think I will want to tolerate it for another 18 months or whatever. There's no contract; I own the phone outright. I could replace it if I had to, but that's a nonzero cash outlay and a fairly big bit of e-waste on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I know we're all well aware of the great battery life on the Pixel 5, but I'm still astounded:

I've got 90Hz forced on into the bargain. Wish I'd had this on honeymoon, my Pixel 3 gave me awful battery anxiety.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You can change system font on pixel now?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

codo27 posted:

You can change system font on pixel now?

Yeah it's part of a whole system customization where you can choose the colors (for your quick toggle settings and such), style of system icons (Wifi, BT, etc), shape of app icons, and font.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

About god drat time

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

codo27 posted:

About god drat time

Samsung has been doing that since Android 2 or so 🤷‍♂️

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Precisely why it should have been in stock android for many years by now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

Samsung has been doing that since Android 2 or so 🤷‍♂️

This is why 100% of Samsungs eventually use Comic Sans as their system font

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I hopped on the black friday deal to get $300 trade in back on my Pixel 3 when getting a Pixel 4a 5G, making the 4a 5G basically $200.

Very happy overall. The battery on my Pixel 3 was rapidly degrading, so going to the 4a 5G has been a revelation. I've never had a phone with battery life this good from day 1. I was off work over the Christmas break and even on days when I heavily used my phone, lots of Twitter, the Awful forums app, Youtube, general browsing etc. etc. the lowest battery level I would see when plugging it in at night would be 30%. Compared to my Pixel 3 which I was having to drop on a charger 2 or 3 times during the day to top it back up. Even when brand new by the end of day the battery on the Pixel 3 (or any other phone I've had) would be under 10 percent, so still having 30% is just crazy to me. This is without turning on extreme battery or anything.

I would still like to have the option of wireless charging but overall I'm not particularly bothered when the battery life is this good.

The camera seems just a hair not quite as good but again not enough to really bother me. It's hard to quantify but the pictures don't seem quite as sharp as they were on the Pixel 3, but I'm not sure if that's just being used to the processing on that.

The phone in use doesn't end up feeling any larger, it was surprisingly similar in size to the Pixel 3, just the screen being taller as the bezels are so small. Hole punch camera is fine, doesn't bother me. Better than having some giant notch or big bezel.

I don't store tons of music or anything on my phone so 128GB is nice but not a huge difference maker for me personally.

Definitely less 'swapping out' as I switch between apps, more stuff stays in memory, general startup performance on apps feels faster. Finger print unlocking seems faster.

5G is irrelevant to me as I work from home and live somewhere where we don't have 5G yet. Wasn't a factor.

All in all it feels like an iteration on the Pixel 3 to me but there's nothing wrong with that at all, it's perfectly comfortable. I'd rather Google continue to target the midrange than push the envelope at the ultra premium end of things.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

sourdough posted:

Nah, pixels have all been ftw

agreed for both my 2 and 4 non-XL models. swaggin and baggin all day long on these things

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Historically, has Google had discounts or bogo offers on flagship pixel phones?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Lowen SoDium posted:

Occasional discounts, yes--the 4 launched at $800 but got chopped to $500 before the P4a launch. In general their deals are not as good as what you can get from the carriers for obvious reasons. I wouldn't expect any big discounts off the P5 for a bit unless the S21 isn't like $1200 when it comes out in a few months.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lowen SoDium posted:

They took $50 off the P5 for BF. Pretty much just covers the tax.

OH, if you have a P5, in your Play Store app, be sure to get your free Play Points. They give you 600 for buying a P5. Not sure what the reward is for P4s, but they give away points every Friday. Might as well accrue them.

Just look for Play Points in the menu, then "Perks."

Be sure to claim the Pixel promo first before claiming the weekly reward.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 12, 2021

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ordered my wife a P5 on December 16. It finally shipped today.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Even if it did ship when you ordered, it probably wouldn't be here yet anyways.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

So I've got question regarding some cheap bluetooth earbuds (Mpow M12), probably an issue just due to the earbuds themselves but maybe someone can help. Basically when I'm done using them and put them in the charging case, they turn off but 5-10 minutes or so later the phone reconnects to them. I'm pretty sure the earbuds are turned off (when I open the case I see the blue light come on as they turn on).

These seem to be the only bluetooth device I've got that does this and it's annoying if I've finished using them and then miss phone calls because I haven't noticed that the audio is now on my earbuds.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had a cheapo pair and didn't have this problem, but I would hold the button on em to shut them off prior to putting them in the case. God the delightful Chinese accent saying "power off" was hilarious

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I haven't had a new Android device in quite a while but I just picked up a sumsung tab s6 lite and I was looking at the directions for rooting and I'm feeling just too lazy to do all that. The OS (android 10) seems pretty decent as is, and tbh I already put a bunch of apps and stuff on it and having the format and do it again isn't appealing, and I'm wondering if there's much of a need to use custom roms and have root access anymore? Are most people doing okay without it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't had the need to root since like Android 5. I do run a custom launcher, though.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 13, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Only necessary to try and redeem older/poorly supported devices.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I put a custom recovery on my HTC Aria to update it from 2.3 to 4.0. First and last time I think I've had a rooted android.

That was a little while ago.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

I put a custom recovery on my HTC Aria to update it from 2.3 to 4.0. First and last time I think I've had a rooted android.

That was a little while ago.

I installed a custom ROM on my first phone to go from 2.2. to 2.3 so I could enable copy/paste. I rooted my Galaxy Nexus to enable quick toggles. Once Android incorporated quick settings, I lost all need.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

MrNemo posted:

Not sure if anyone else is having issues getting their favourite podcasts but I suddenly found 3 or 4 that wouldn't play or download. I have now tracked it down to using adguard for a VPN so I guess the hosting for those podcasts has been flagged? Hopefully this helps someone.

FYI, my podcasts seem to be downloading just fine with adguard, once more.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hey, let's see what HTC is releasing in 2021....

https://9to5google.com/2021/01/13/htc-desire-21-pro-goes-official-w-snapdragon-690-90hz-display-more/

Help this company

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So depressing doing a phone finder on GSMA and getting only these as the results

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I don't get it. Most of those are fine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Being 90% samsung is the issue. Just leaves the Pixel and Oneplus, seeing Huawei is a no go despite how good their hardware was for us.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
NINE different models of the S20, and that's not counting the 2 Note20s
  • Samsung Galaxy S20
  • Samsung Galaxy S20+
  • Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 5G
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 5G UW
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The Merkinman posted:

• Samsung Galaxy S20
  • Samsung Galaxy S20+
  • Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 5G

This is definitely a problem. I’d prefer if they had different names for the models rather than all being Galaxy S20.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

The Merkinman posted:

• Samsung Galaxy S20
  • Samsung Galaxy S20+
  • Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
  • Samsung Galaxy S20 5G

I'm the last person to defend samsung, but a good chunk of that is just radio differences (unless the S20+/S20+ 5G, FE/FE 5G, S20/S20 5G/S20 5G UW differ in more than the radios). No one would have said there were 5 base iPhone 6 models because Sprint, Verizon, US GSM, European, and Asian markets all had different SKUs (or whatever, you get what I mean prob).

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I guess its officially S21 day and it seems underwhelming? I'd probably recommend people get an S20FE for cheaper unless you need the S21 Ultra.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

I don't get it. Most of those are fine.

Yeah, all the "good" phones are there except maybe the OP 8T. GSM might have a ton more phones, but a whole lot of them are hot trash.

Though I guess if you're looking for super budget phones then, yeah, not many options for you.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its not that I'm looking at budget (though I wish some of that Xiaomi poo poo and stuff was accessible over here) its that there are literally two choices besides Samsung and a basically defunct brand as far as the west is concerned.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Xiaomi phones are widely available at least in the US. They're good too if you're fine with your data being sent to China. If you're concerned with cost just get a 1-3 generation old flagship phone. Anything with the SD830 or newer are still great devices.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

codo27 posted:

Its not that I'm looking at budget (though I wish some of that Xiaomi poo poo and stuff was accessible over here) its that there are literally two choices besides Samsung and a basically defunct brand as far as the west is concerned.

Sure, but put it this way: can you list phones you would actually want that aren't already part of that list? Other than the OP 8T, anyhow. If you don't like Huawei you shouldn't really be looking at Xiaomi, either.

e; pretty much everyone else produces only "budget" phones these days. LG still thinks they have flagships, but, uh, they don't. I guess the Sony Xperia isn't terrible?

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 14, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DrDork posted:

Sure, but put it this way: can you list phones you would actually want that aren't already part of that list?

I think THAT was the point. No more desirable LG or HTC devices. No desirable Lenovo devices. Just 9 flavors of Galaxy, Pixel, and then OnePlus.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Xperia 5II is what I want but not available through any carrier in Canada, I think. They used to be Bell exclusive here which sucked but in the average Joe's mind it's either iPhone or Samsung, literally nothing else can be considered

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DrDork posted:

If you don't like Huawei you shouldn't really be looking at Xiaomi, either.

Well, Xiaomi isn't (so far) appearing on OFAC "Communist Chinese Military Companies" lists the way Huawei is. To me this is less about whatever 'security threat' Chinese phones pose to Americans, and more about whether the US government is going to gently caress with their ability to do business in the US at a moment's notice and suddenly you're left with, at best, a phone with no support. Of course who knows if that will actually happen (and that's probably a conversation that goes well beyond the scope of this thread, and certainly beyond any expertise I have).

And of course if you're not in the US that calculus is completely different.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Xiaomi doesn't sell phones in the US. Yeah, you can get them and use them, but Xiaomi doesn't actually have any US market phones. So support (both handset and carrier) can have issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Xiaomi doesn't sell phones in the US. Yeah, you can get them and use them, but Xiaomi doesn't actually have any US market phones. So support (both handset and carrier) can have issues.

I think the last time I looked at one of their phones their T-Mobile band compatibility was not the greatest, but that's not an uncommon issue (and also I could be completely misremembering).

I had some Xiaomi earbuds once that were very good by $25 wired earbud standards.