Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sourdough posted:

I don't think inaccurate colors is an unavoidable flaw of OLED, pretty sure Pixel 5 and recent iphones (and probably Samsungs) all have really accurate color unless you pick the vivid setting or whatever. I remember reading Pixel 5 has zero black crush too, which is nice.

Inaccurate colors is an unavoidable flaw of OLED over time. The colors degrade at different rates and with usage. The only thing you can be sure of if you have a color-accurate OLED is that you won't tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Inaccurate colors is an unavoidable flaw of OLED over time. The colors degrade at different rates and with usage. The only thing you can be sure of if you have a color-accurate OLED is that you won't tomorrow.

Ah, I gotcha now

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

bull3964 posted:

Yet you'll find reports of green tint for every single one of those devices.

Oneplus just 'fixed' it by limiting the minimum brightness.

Look at all the complaints about the Tab S7+. Note 20 Ultra, green tint. S20 Ultra, green tint.

Return/RMA if it's too bad, just know you are playing this lottery with every device.

It likely has to do with getting the proper gamma curve across all brightness levels. That, combined with display manufacturing variances makes it difficult to get some panels into calibration.

I was specifically talking about color temperature at any level of brightness. Mine is actually consistently slightly green across the entire range with no shift at minimum brightness, which seems to be the opposite problem everybody else is experiencing. Gamma coordination across all three color channels actually seems to be really good.

The OnePlus 7T I had briefly actually looked pretty good under all conditions. The only weird thing it did was dim the screen in software instead while locked so it could blast out your retinas with the fingerprint reader icon displayed at maximum brightness.You could tell it was doing this because there would be color banding in the wallpaper image and the gamma would inevitably be slightly off.

This is all pretty moot at this point. Besides the color issue, the Pixel 4a I bought was advertised in pristine, perfect condition, but it arrived with a scratch on the screen. It's small, but still deep enough that I can feel it with my fingernail. Combine that with the fact I'm generally unimpressed with its performance over my old Pixel XL and that the price I paid was not that far off from brand new, I think I am just going to call it quits and revisit shopping for a new phone in a year or so (or sooner if my battery finally decides to take a dirt nap).

I don't feel like the Pixel 4a is $300-350 worth of phone, but I might be willing to come back to it when it approaches $200.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 25, 2021

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
So I've got the S21 Ultra, and it's great... Except the camera?

It feels like sometimes it goes insane with turbo-smoothing or something, especially in the slow-mo or super slow-mo video modes. I did have it happen with a couple of stills not long after I got the phone, too, so I'm wondering if there might actually be something weird with this specific unit?

I've screenshotted the view in video, slowmo and super slow-mo modes so you can see what I mean. It just loses all texture.

I can't find any examples of this sort of detail loss happening in stills, must have deleted them, but most of the time it's actually perfectly sharp and full of detail

Is this ...normal? I get that it gets darker because of a faster shutter speed, but the actual image quality just drops to 0 and that seems... Unexpected.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

OLED displays on MiniDisc players are all dead now and non-replaceable. Totally sucks.

The best sounding phone I ever had for music for some reason was the Note 2 with the viper4android mod

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Super slow mo requires a fuckton of light. I just tried it in normal lighting conditions and I'm getting similar results to your screenshot.

I believe it's also locked to one sensor/lens, and a wide open aperture, so your focal plane is stupid narrow.

I've only done super slow mo either close up or long distance (my kid dropping in on the water park surfrider things), though. So between 6" and 20' I don't really have much experience.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Also, the S21 Ultra actually has to use interpolation for the slowest slow modes because the sensor is too large to read out at 960fps.

Another thing to look out for is the camera will switch to the ultrawide and crop for near field subjects (comes up as focus assist) due to the large sensor having such a narrow pane of focus. You can override through.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 25, 2021

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I figured it would have to do frame interpolation or something between frames, it's just the weird "oil painting" kind of effect I'm seeing that was confusing. Realistically I do not need 960fps video so that's not much of a concern. The problem seems to happen a bit in the normal slowmo mode, but I'm only really worried about it if it means there's something wrong with the camera itself, but it sounds like this is kind of standard.

I wonder if my "oil painting" stills were in low light or with a too-slow shutter and moving cat. Will have to do more testing I guess.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Try with more light.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Charles posted:

Try with more light.

This solves like 90% of photography issues.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The oil painting effect is basically noise reduction trying to make something out of the noisy mess you get when the sensor only has a few photons per output pixel - the unsmoothed version would probably look very much like what you get when setting a DSLR to a stupid-high ISO.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
This all makes sense, thanks guys.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently reset my Pixel 3. Pretty much everything's set back up, except that on my work profile, I can't remember how to tell Citrix to use a fingerprint to unlock Secure apps instead of a PIN. Does anyone have any idea how to do such a thing?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I bought an Asus wifi 6 router and my s21 ultra, my only wifi 6 device, constantly disconnects from it. Pretty disappointing.

Edit: still works better overall than my previous google router that has like 10 feet range for some reason.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 28, 2021

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I bought an Asus wifi 6 router and my s21 ultra, my only wifi 6 device, constantly disconnects from it. Pretty disappointing.

Edit: still works better overall than my previous google router that has like 10 feet range for some reason.

I got a Nighthawk RAX70 (it's pretty badass-looking, built like an imperial shuttle), and the WiFi 6 devices in my house do pretty well. I can max out my line speed on my phone 2 floors and 30 horizontal feet away.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I think google broke their apps. I have a Pixel 5 with their latest and greatest OS, and for about few days now (less than a week), "Discover" won't refresh anymore. If I manually refresh it tells me that it cannot refresh right now. I cleared the cache and data of Google App and Google Play services and now it tells me that it cannot login into my account. If I change the account Discover is using it works fine. I can use the email just fine, I can backup (which by the way it just told me that it hasn't backed up anything in 6 days, most likely because it cannot log in, but I re-set it up and now it works), I can use GDrive, so it can login into my account, but discover is just broken. Maybe everything would work if I factory-reset but I hope I don't have to do that.

Anything else I can try before going medieval on it?

edit: So I reset the phone and the little poo poo still cannot connect with Discover. What a waste of time and bits.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 1, 2021

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I bought a Galaxy S21 Ultra and it's the first phone I've owned that supports wireless charging. Since I never needed it I haven't really been following it and I'm not sure what to get.

First, I use a wallet case. Can wireless chargers work through a wallet case?

If I want maximum wireless charging speed, do I need to look for certain standards on the charger? Do I need to stick with Samsung branded?

Thanks!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Check out this link:
https://www.androidcentral.com/best-samsung-galaxy-s21-wireless-chargers

Pretty sure the S21 line supports up to 15 watts wirelessly, so you'll want a charger that can support that. I haven't had a phone that charges wirelessly in a while, but it worked through the slim cases I've always used (like single piece Spigen cases).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's the best way to make a background app start up when the phone boots? Is there anything built in to Android (Pixel flavor on a 3, if it matters).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I guess it's Pixel rumor time if people like those. :v: It's a nice distraction from college at least.

According to OnLeaks, Pixel 5a seems to be continuing the new trend of confusing Google phones. Rumors currently pointing to it being a Pixel 4a XL in...just about every sense of the word. Nothing new but the name, it seems.

quote:

-Unibody (likely plastic made) rear panel
-156.2 x 73.2 x 8.8mm (9.4mm with the rear camera bump)
-Flat 6.2" OLED FHD+ display
-Thin bezels and forehead but quite a large chin
-Dual lens camera setup + unknown sensor (likely PDAF)
-Single punch hole selfie camera located on top left corner
-3.5 mm headphone jack
-Rear fingerprint sensor
-Stereo speakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VnaQq0eGI

https://www.voice.com/post/@onleaks/exclusive-first-look-at-the-google-pixel-5a-1614036211-183558310

Pixel 6 though...rumors claim MAYBE an XL this time but possibly an in-screen fingerprint reader and Face Unlock.

Also maybe a new camera sensor. Finally.

https://twitter.com/TheGalox_/status/1364276992833642496

Android Headlines thinks it'll be either the brand new Sony IMX800 or the Sony IMX555.

https://www.androidheadlines.com/2021/02/google-pixel-6-new-camera-sensor-finally.html

The Sony IMX800 is the world's first 1" image sensor and is set to launch in April 2021.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Sony-IMX-800-will-be-the-world-s-largest-mobile-image-sensor-on-its-April-2021-launch.524439.0.html

Finally, there's rumors of a foldable Pixel sometime in 2021 that probably won't replace the Pixel 6.

https://www.techradar.com/news/google-pixel-foldable-phone-may-come-in-2021-but-dont-expect-it-to-replace-pixel-6

This rumor comes from a "top" leaker in Korea.

Yeah these are all rumors and nothing 100% confirmed but still interesting, I suppose? If the Pixel 6 finally has a better camera than the Pixel 2 - 5, I may trade in for one. I use the camera a LOT more on my phone than I thought.

That Pixel 5a though...I really hope it's not just a renamed Pixel 4a XL...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

1" is going to need some massive autofocus wizardry and multiple merge exposures to keep from having a paper thin pane of focus. Or some sort of out of this world lenses. The S21 Ultra is bad enough.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

1" is going to need some massive autofocus wizardry and multiple merge exposures to keep from having a paper thin pane of focus. Or some sort of out of this world lenses. The S21 Ultra is bad enough.

Yeah, knowing Google they're gonna have some crazy autofocus and probably fix it in post with AI or something. Probably lock the features of the AI behind Google One subs for all but Pixels.

Though don't know how Huawei is going to fix it since they're the first OEM rumored to use it.

Speaking of OEMs, there's a HUGE push for Xiaomi on Reddit started by MrWhostheboss. Arun did a video about how Xiaomi is better than what people think and the comments are filled with "I love Xiaomi devices! They're Apple's true rival" and "Everyone in my family has a Xiaomi device." and "Xiaomi is great so the US banned them". It reeks of insane propaganda.

Granted, one of the things on his list video is how Xiaomi went to the UK and ran around in orange T-shirts to advertise the brand and paid for vacations of some customers and employees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd2bKrDzMTg

Xiaomi might be a nice company but this is creepy level of advertising...especially the comments. They're not the usual lovely YT comments either, they're pretty much 98% positive all towards the greatness of Xiaomi.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

regulargonzalez posted:

I bought a Galaxy S21 Ultra and it's the first phone I've owned that supports wireless charging. Since I never needed it I haven't really been following it and I'm not sure what to get.

First, I use a wallet case. Can wireless chargers work through a wallet case?

If I want maximum wireless charging speed, do I need to look for certain standards on the charger? Do I need to stick with Samsung branded?

Thanks!

Any Qi charger should work, but if you want fast charging it gets more complicated and you have to pay attention to numbers. The wallet case is a bigger question mark, since it might be too thick or whatever cards you keep in it could interfere with the signal.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got this charger for my s20. Works well enough. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and the phone isn't charged, dunno if I bumped it in my sleep or what.
https://www.amazon.ca/Wireless-NANA...4645980&sr=8-16

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I think Xiaomi makes excellent phones at a great price and I'd love to buy one if not for the software. Alas.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The mobile phone market in NA is truly third world compared to certain places in the east. Except in an awful, self-imposed kinda way.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
It's just as bad here in Australia.

I've visited Tokyo and Berlin a few times in the last few years prior to the pandemic and the choice in both those places is staggering.

There's about 10 different price points and there must be at least 10 different models per price point.

I wish we had the same amount of stock to choose from.

(I know I could just order things online, but I'd much rather at least hold the things in my hand)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can have hardware choice all you want, the software on these devices is pretty drat horrible and it looks like going back to 2011 and suffering through the various manufacturer skins.

Even the Mi 10T Pro only gets quarterly security updates as well and it's the same for all of the non-Android One Mi phones.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

bull3964 posted:

You can have hardware choice all you want, the software on these devices is pretty drat horrible and it looks like going back to 2011 and suffering through the various manufacturer skins.

Even the Mi 10T Pro only gets quarterly security updates as well and it's the same for all of the non-Android One Mi phones.

Is Xiaomi Android One still a thing? I've got a Mi A1, their first Android One phone. Not had a security update since August and still on Android 9. Been thinking of upgrading for a while but it still works well enough.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'd love for more choice here in the US, I'd give Xiaomi a try. I strongly thought about buying some Evangelion phone from Oppo last year but decided not to because I need certain T-Mobile bands that Chinese phones don't support

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

In other news, the EU is apparently working on a law requiring five years of software updates for phones sold in the union, presumably as part of the ongoing work to reduce e-waste. This will presumably have some spillover effects to the US as well?

I didn't find any good English language references, just a Norwegian news post referencing a Swedish one - but presumably there is a corresponding page somewhere in EUR-Lex or whereever the EU keeps ongoing proposals.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Didn't see it mention that Oneplus has their announcement next week, on March 8th.

The invite to the event seems to hint the same thing the rumors have had so far. There's going to be Hasselblad co-branding on the camera.

I mean..maybe that means good things? I've never been all that hot on cobranding stuff when the company clearly can't have much influence on the final product. So, I don't really view the partnership with Hasselblad as indicative of anything special right off the bat other than lip service towards making the camera better.

To be clear, I still think the OP8P was one of the top cameras for 2020 and was underrated in a lot of areas. I captured some of my best shots on that camera last year even though there was minimal chances to do stuff (man Imgur adds artifacts.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 2, 2021

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'd love for more choice here in the US, I'd give Xiaomi a try. I strongly thought about buying some Evangelion phone from Oppo last year but decided not to because I need certain T-Mobile bands that Chinese phones don't support

I’ve used a few Xiaomi phones on ATT and even though I didn’t have any LTE bands, HSPA+ was more than enough for my needs. I have had a couple Redmi devices and happily recommend them to people. Will also usually recommend blocking any of their apps and services too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

cage-free egghead posted:

I’ve used a few Xiaomi phones on ATT and even though I didn’t have any LTE bands, HSPA+ was more than enough for my needs. I have had a couple Redmi devices and happily recommend them to people. Will also usually recommend blocking any of their apps and services too.

This is much harder to recommend how that HSPA+ bands are being actively taken down to make more room for 5G spectrum.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

bull3964 posted:

I recently set up new Samsung A71, Poco X3 and an old Xiaomi Mi 8 that runs MIUI 12/Android 10 and I'd say that Samsung was way worse. So much more bloatware and Samsung specific features getting forced on you which is fine if you want to live in Samsung ecosystem but problematic if you want to switch later.

Now software updates and bugs on the other hand ...

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005
I need to replace my current phone (HTC 10) because it's barely hanging on. I'm looking at the Samsung S9 or S10 because I want the headphone jack and expandable storage. Prices have also jumped so much since I bought my current phone that I'm not willing to pay new phone prices. Samsung has the S9 refurbished for $300, and the S10 for $500.

So my question is, considering that 90% of what I use my phone for is texting, e-mail, taking notes/making grocery lists, listening to music while working, and Android Auto, is it worth paying the extra $200 for the S10? It seems like a lot of reviews make a big deal about the camera, and while I occasionally use my phone to take pictures, I don't care that much about the quality.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How essential is Samsung and expandable storage? Open box Pixel 4a 5G on swappa go for $400 it looks like. Has a headphone jack, but non expandable 128GB storage. Also a 60hz display

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The big thing you have to consider when looking at a 3 year old phone.

The updates are either done or just about done, including security.

The battery, even on a refurb, is probably decently degraded. Refurb doesn't necessarily mean they replaced the battery, refurb most of the time means that whatever Samsung trade in program took it in confirmed that it met the description on the trade in form and then packaged it back up for resale. Even replacement batteries are likely new old stock so they have degraded on the shelf for awhile so if you invested in replacing the battery, it's not going to be like a new device.

If you are ok with all that, then it's certainly the way to get the best performance/capability for the that $300.

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How essential is Samsung and expandable storage? Open box Pixel 4a 5G on swappa go for $400 it looks like. Has a headphone jack, but non expandable 128GB storage. Also a 60hz display

I don't use Spotify or other streaming services, so all my music is on a microSD card. I guess with that much space I could put it on internal storage, but I kind of like having it on external storage so I don't have to worry about space on the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

For the vast majority, and me, it's not essential at all. Most people use Spotify or a similar streaming service, and 128GB is more than enough. Much more importantly, what bull said.