Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RICKARUS

It's Moot baby!

blunt posted:

Well there goes my upgrade plan.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/04/09/it-looks-like-the-pixel-5a-will-never-come-to-be/

quote:

Pixel 5a 5G is not cancelled. It will be available later this year in the U.S. and Japan and announced in line with when last years a-series phone was introduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sucks, but at the same time there's no way it was really going to be a significant improvement over the 4a 5g so not a LOT is lost.

Ultimately, I think the 'a' line is going to fade away. If Google is moving to whitechapel for the Pixel 6, they'll be able to lower component costs. The Pixel 5 also had them experimenting with premium, non-glass construction which they now have further license to go after since Samsung and others have gone plastic on their entry level flagships.

Also, the extensive T-Mobile partnership has probably de-emphasized the need for mmwave to satisfy Verizon, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see that on the chopping block.

So, what we get for the Pixel 6 may be a Pixel 5 body with a Samsung/Google collab SoC without mmwave at a pricepoint closer to $500-$550 to try to straddle the upper mid and lower flagship markets. It will be close enough to the 4a5g price to eliminate that model and I think google will abandon the sub $400 space as they really aren't going to be able to compete with the likes of the new A series line of phones from Samsung that now have longer update support. Additionally, the Google partnership with T-Mobile will have carrier incentives to bring the price down lower so as not completely alienate those who would have gone for the cheaper Pixel 'a' model.

Yes, I know the 3a and the 4a have been some of the best selling models that google has had, but all of that is for nothing if someone can grab a $280 A32 5G (which T-mobile is going to be giving away for FREE all year as long as you have a non broken phone to trade in).

Edit:

Ok, so maybe it isn't cancelled, but I still think what I've written is mostly true long term.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

quote:

Pixel 5a 5G is not cancelled.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Prosser is very bad at leaks. Who's surprised?

He was wrong on the Pixel 5's look, has zero evidence on the Pixel Watch, and now wrong about this.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

*Ignore me, was replying to outdated info.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

A "limited US release" is the entire market of the Pixel line anyway.
It just means they're not going to bother shipping them to other regions to be outsold 50:1 by midrange Samsungs and go on sale in their second week.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Khablam posted:

A "limited US release" is the entire market of the Pixel line anyway.
It just means they're not going to bother shipping them to other regions to be outsold 50:1 by midrange Samsungs and go on sale in their second week.

Is Google still googlin' phone launches? If so, this next one could be a perform storm with the chip shortages.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You're Goddamned right I support Medicare for all.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/...youre-affected/

quote:

Some Pixel owners have noticed over the last couple of monthly updates that their phones have lost Widevine L1 status, falling to L3 and rendering them incapable of playing back some DRM-protected content at high quality. More simply, that means they can't play HD content in apps and services like Netflix. By far the majority of devices are not affected and the cause isn't immediately clear. Google tells us it's aware of these reports and working on a fix, and devices from other manufactures may also be affected.

This is a particularly curious issue for one very significant reason: Sometimes, when phones lose Widevine L1 status, it's not a simple fix. When OnePlus offered to add Widevine L1 certification to the OnePlus 5 and 5T, that required sending phones back in to have them flashed securely with the feature, and when the ROG Phone 3 lost its L1 status, the company also initially asked customers to send units in to fix it though it was later able to push a software update that addressed the issue.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Well that's embarrassing for Google. Can't make fun of other phone companies for that one anymore.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

so now with hangout calls deprecated is there a first party way to send and receive telephone calls on my computer? noticed today that hangouts wasnt ringing and then kableeeeep brain remembered that its dead RIP

i ported this number... FROM VOICE... to Fi. lol

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Anyone used MIUI 12? Considering a Redmi Note 10 Pro or the Mi 11 Lite to replace my 3 year old Mi A1. One concern is going from stock Android (although still on Android 9) to MIUI instead. The alternative is waiting for that Pixel 5A but being in the UK that might be a challenge.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

BurritoJustice posted:

Hello fellow Aussie s21u owner, lovely pic

Have you had any issues with heat/perf with the Exynos s21u? I've had mine overheat twice now and it's getting annoying

No, no overheating at all, although my employer sells this phone and we do get complaints. Is it actually shutting down? 99% of overheating complaints from my work are from people who think a phone should never get warm while charging etc. Super annoying.

fourwood posted:

Sydney?

Also wtf Samsung, at least try to make it look like it’s night mode or whatever.

Yeah, the gap. I'm a tourist from Melbourne.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

No, no overheating at all, although my employer sells this phone and we do get complaints. Is it actually shutting down? 99% of overheating complaints from my work are from people who think a phone should never get warm while charging etc. Super annoying.

Three times now it has reached the point where I've got the error toast about overheating and needing to disable multi-window/PIP. It also led to throttling and lag. Happens when I've got the YouTube pop out player and something intensive in the foreground, though it did get very hot while I was on a photo binge along the south coast on a hot day.

It's also got hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold, I'm using the S-Pen silicone case which seems to exacerbate the issue.

I never had any issues with my Note20 Ultra which had the way hotter Exynos 990

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Does anybody know if there's a way to check duration of missed calls without installing an app? I've been targeted by Wangiri scammers recently but I'm also waiting on a couple of big calls from folks whose numbers I don't have access to if there were a way to check how long an unknown number had called for it would be an absolute lifesaver, but all I can find are incredibly dodgy-looking apps that don't seem super secure and seem like they could just make things worse.