Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

Ding!

I know I've been critical in the past of the bend tests this guy does, but this is pretty lol. It looks like it takes no effort at all to snap this thing in half. He even breaks it a third time with a normal amount of effort.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/8/22373985/lenovo-legion-phone-duel-2-jerryrigeverything-youtube-bend-test-fragile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You're Goddamned right I support Medicare for all.

I unironically give weight to Zack's bend test, and both my current and previous phone were brick shithouses of chassis stiffness, and a far cry from the paper thin metal and glueless plastic snaps of the Nexus 5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16614/xiaomi-mi-11-lite-5g-performance-report-first-taste-of-the-snapdragon-780/2

The SD780 looks to be a solid improvement on the SD855. So, midrange handsets should be able to confidently outperform 2019 flagships and are within spitting distance of the SD865.

What if the Pixel 5a has the SD780 for around $500? It seems like that would be pretty drat good value. It also raises the bar pretty high for whitechapel.

It also has me wondering if that's what the S21FE will be using this year. The S21 is pretty much what the FE was last year, so they need some way to bring it down in price so I'm doubting they will have a SD888 in it this year.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16614/xiaomi-mi-11-lite-5g-performance-report-first-taste-of-the-snapdragon-780/2

The SD780 looks to be a solid improvement on the SD855. So, midrange handsets should be able to confidently outperform 2019 flagships and are within spitting distance of the SD865.

What if the Pixel 5a has the SD780 for around $500? It seems like that would be pretty drat good value. It also raises the bar pretty high for whitechapel.

It also has me wondering if that's what the S21FE will be using this year. The S21 is pretty much what the FE was last year, so they need some way to bring it down in price so I'm doubting they will have a SD888 in it this year.

I wonder if Google will price the Pixel 6 at $800 - $1000 this year.

I think, after people scoffing at the Pixel 4 at that price and upset about the Pixel 5 being $700 literally only because of Verizon, they might be better off at $600-$649..but who knows... they'll probably stick with $700 - $800.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

I wonder if Google will price the Pixel 6 at $800 - $1000 this year.

I think, after people scoffing at the Pixel 4 at that price and upset about the Pixel 5 being $700 literally only because of Verizon, they might be better off at $600-$649..but who knows... they'll probably stick with $700 - $800.

I think it's gonna be completely in the air on pricing until July or August when they start leaking firmer info on what the processor is going to look like. Could just be google working with samsung to sidestep some of the supply chain problems.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Is there a way to let Google assistant do stuff like start navigating with the phone locked? I was on my motorcycle the other day and wanted to navigate home using Ok Google, but it told me to unlock my phone first, which was in my backpack, so that's really annoying. I also have some wifi enabled lights that I can't turn off unless I unlock my phone first. It's very annoying.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

There's a 'respond to hey google even if the screen is off' setting. Search for voice match in assistant settings

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Skarsnik posted:

There's a 'respond to hey google even if the screen is off' setting. Search for voice match in assistant settings

Pretty sure that's still going to ask you to unlock any time it delegates function to a different app like Maps.

I think the only real workaround is using something like Trusted Devices to stay unlocked while in your proximity, assuming you have a Bluetooth device like a smartwatch.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

isndl posted:

Pretty sure that's still going to ask you to unlock any time it delegates function to a different app like Maps.

I think the only real workaround is using something like Trusted Devices to stay unlocked while in your proximity, assuming you have a Bluetooth device like a smartwatch.

This sounds promising, I'll give it a shot.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone using their old phones for anything interesting?

Today, I dusted off the P3XL after 8 months of retirement. Currently getting all the security updates and patches installed, and trying to think of anything useful to do with it other than let it gather more dust.

I actually just updated from my 2XL finally but it still works fine.

I was thinking of eventually giving that /E/ OS a try and see if their work for a private sort of Android is worth looking at or not I guess. Tinker with that and some other OS's maybe, and overall still use the camera on occasion and keep as a still good backup phone.

The replacement I got will be mocked probably in here, but it checked all the little goofy buttons for something different for a phone that doesn't involve bending plastic screens.

The LG Wing 5G

Sprint(T-Mobile) dropped the price down to $599 and I figured id nab one before they become unobtainable as new devices. Today waa my first full day with the thing fully transfered, setup, and activated, and I really couldn't be happier. This thing is a blast to use and LG really did very good tuning the UI when using the 2nd screen, and actually having a pretty clean and unbloated OS when using the phone as a normal phone. Far cry from the old LG G3 OS back in the day lol.

Funny as the Pixel 2XL was also LG made so indirectly I've been LG for a while with only the Nexus 6P in between my G3 and the 2XL.

I did a pretty big writeup on my view on the Wing in the Sprint Thread if anyone would be interested to read it. Otherwise if anyone has any questions about it let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EdEddnEddy posted:

The replacement I got will be mocked probably in here, but it checked all the little goofy buttons for something different for a phone that doesn't involve bending plastic screens.

The LG Wing 5G

lol but good on your for accepting it