Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Welp, time for me to backup all my schniz and restore to factory settings. Probably unnecessary but a) battery life and b) I like to wipe my phone's bum after a major version bump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

The final release for A13 is still just the build from June but with the August security update at least.

Still liking everything about my 6a except the FP reader.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I like the 6a (better fingerprint reader than my 3a in humid rear end North Carolina).

I do not like the fact that Google got my trade-in a week ago and still hasn't given me back my money!!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sideloaded since it wasn't pulling down right away, but 13 seems nice and snappy on my P6P.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
These updates take an astonishingly long time to download and install. Only showing about 35mb of data needed and it’s been going like an hour.

I was even already on the 13 beta

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's to lower background usage so you can just use the phone.

Realize the update process is built around the idea that you aren't going to watching like a hawk for updates and instead are a user that doesn't know anything is happening until you get the prompt to reboot.

If you want fast install, you can sideload.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's to lower background usage so you can just use the phone.

Realize the update process is built around the idea that you aren't going to watching like a hawk for updates and instead are a user that doesn't know anything is happening until you get the prompt to reboot.

If you want fast install, you can sideload.

I am going to be watching like a hawk for updates. Give me a progress bar and I will stare at it until it is complete.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I know an elderly person who is going to burn their house down if they don't get a smartwatch. All I really care about is getting them something that they can OK google a timer on and have the description be big enough to read when it goes off, and not be able to put it down and walk away like their phone. Any thoughts?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

egg timers cost like 4 bucks

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

hooah posted:

Android 13 is live for Pixels.

Android 13 statue is also live.

https://twitter.com/tikurahul/status/1559299458554142720

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

why that android thicc

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

K8.0 posted:

I know an elderly person who is going to burn their house down if they don't get a smartwatch. All I really care about is getting them something that they can OK google a timer on and have the description be big enough to read when it goes off, and not be able to put it down and walk away like their phone. Any thoughts?

I got my wife https://a.co/d/giZ4PMi when it was on sale for $60 not sure if that is common, but all she uses it for is to control music and read the occasional text while working, battery lasts for like a week and she is happy with it. Text seems decent size to me, but idk how bad of eyes you looking at.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 16, 2022

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Would second the suggestion of a low-fi Kitchen timer w/ a 90-120 decibel alarm if that's the sole use case. The middle ground would be a Nest Hub/Nest Hub Max on max volume if the house acoustics make sense.

If it absolutely has to be an Assistant Smartwatch, best option right now is either a Samsung running Wear OS 3 (Watch 4/5) or a Fitbit Sense/Versa 3. Fitbit watches would give you better battery life, but buying them full price is not the best value atm since leaks are showing they're both about to be replaced by their successor models.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Deviant posted:

egg timers cost like 4 bucks

It doesn't help because they will walk away from it, forget what it was, and decide to ignore it. Having a label on every timer (they'll have like 3-5 going at once) and having it physically stuck to their body is a necessity. They'll literally go outside and go to sleep and poo poo, I'm fairly confident it has to be a watch.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Android 13 notes boast of an updated media player with a "fun" playback bar... I'll be the judge of that...

ok it's like twice as chunky vertically, recognizably displaying the album art in the background and the progress bar wiggles like a sine wave... I guess it's pretty fun but I bet the size is gonna bother some people in some cases

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

K8.0 posted:

It doesn't help because they will walk away from it, forget what it was, and decide to ignore it. Having a label on every timer (they'll have like 3-5 going at once) and having it physically stuck to their body is a necessity. They'll literally go outside and go to sleep and poo poo, I'm fairly confident it has to be a watch.

This probably rules out Wear OS since the Google Clock app only supports setting one timer directly from the watch (subsequent timers just update/change the original). Timers set from the phone will still sound/display on the watch once they expire so you could make it work if they did most things from the phone. I don't think Samsung's equivalent app for watches will save you here either because IIRC even their phone app doesn't do multiple timers.

Versa 3/Sense def seems to be the answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsBQPyF1oxI&t=70s

Labels may not be as bold as you'd like, but its pretty much your only option on the Google side.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I just updated my P6P to 13 and I dunno if it's placebo but everything feels a bit snappier

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

K8.0 posted:

This is a use case solved not by technological but societal intervention.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I don't know how widespread it is this time but someone on Reddit is saying they were unable to make a call to emergency services when it was an actual emergency on their Pixel 6a. I know last time it was caused by Microsoft Teams and was fixed via Microsoft's update and I believe the January 2022 update.

Not sure what this one is about but I figure it should be known in case someone else runs into the problem. I haven't had the issue on my Pixels but I also never used Teams either.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Friendly reminder that if you were on the A13 beta, you need to manually opt-out after updating to the final version or you'll be getting beta quarterly updates starting next month. Unless you want to stay in, then do nothing.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Aardvark Barber posted:

I just updated my P6P to 13 and I dunno if it's placebo but everything feels a bit snappier

A lot of the animations navigating around the OS are slicker, which helps with this.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Battery life in my Pixel 6 is back to being decent after taking a hit with the 13 Beta. Factory reset for the win once again.

I'm trying out the Pixel launcher instead of Nova, which I've been using for 8 years. All the animations are nicer and transitions are more fluid but there's so much wasted space with widgets. I had them basically taking up the entire screen, bar the dock and status bar, but the padding on them plus the persistent search bar are infuriating.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

owls or something posted:

Friendly reminder that if you were on the A13 beta, you need to manually opt-out after updating to the final version or you'll be getting beta quarterly updates starting next month. Unless you want to stay in, then do nothing.

Thanks for this heads up, that would have been a bummer

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I coulda sworn they used to auto-unenroll users when the beta concluded. Good tip though, thanks!

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

withoutclass posted:

I coulda sworn they used to auto-unenroll users when the beta concluded. Good tip though, thanks!

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but they somewhat quietly changed that to get people testing the QPR releases it would seem.

quote:

The Android 13 Beta Program will continue and you can stay in it going forward if you want to test new releases. The next Android 13 beta release will bring us back into a Quarterly Platform Release (QPR) test period, with the first arriving in September.

If you stay in the Android Beta Program, you will automatically get the next Android 13 beta in September.

edit: link to opt-out/in

owls or something fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 16, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

With the early arrival of Android 13, the discounts on the Pixel 6 series and the fact that the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro just passed FCC today, I'm really starting to wonder if we're going to see a Sept launch rather than October (or at least early Oct.)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Deviant posted:

why that android thicc

Android Cake was a lot of versions ago

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Another example of SD 8+ Gen1 efficiency improvements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtIA245f8DU

Flip 4 has a 10% larger battery than the Flip 3, but on tests it's lasting 20-35% longer than the Flip 3 with everything else being equal.

It's crazy how the Flip 4 is going to trounce the base S22 on longevity even though they have the same battery size and the S22 has a much smaller screen.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bull3964 posted:

With the early arrival of Android 13, the discounts on the Pixel 6 series and the fact that the Pixel 7 and 7 Pro just passed FCC today, I'm really starting to wonder if we're going to see a Sept launch rather than October (or at least early Oct.)

Wouldn't surprise me honestly (wasn't there a teaser that kinda confirmed September too?). The price cuts are pretty aggressive and they're gonna run out of stock fast.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's funny is I'm asking myself more earnestly than I have in awhile "Do I buy the Pixel 7/7 Pro?"

The reason is not that I'm dissatisfied with the P6P, far from it. The satisfaction with the phone is precisely why I'm questioning it. The Pixel 6 Pro has had my SIM in it longer than any other Pixel since the Pixel 2XL. Since the three I've more or less used it primarily for 6 months and then in a secondary capacity to some other device (usually One Plus) until the next iteration. I moved from the Pixel 3 to the OP7P, the 4 to the OP8P, the 5 to the OP9P and then later to the Z Flip 3. But for the Pixel 6 Pro, I may take a week or two with another device here and there (Z Flip 3, S22U), but I end up back 'home' again.

I look at the Pixel 7 series and I see some visual changes along the camera bar that I like, but aren't exactly huge. There's Tensor 2, but I'm not having issues with Tensor 1. Sure I would like the battery life to be a bit better, but that's more of an abstract thing because I'm still ending the days with plenty of buffer.

Camera modules look to be more or less the same so unless Tensor 2 is doing something wild processing wise that Tensor 1 can't, not really seeing an improvement there.

There are no major other physical design tweaks that I can see, it almost feels as if the P6P cases could be used on the Pixel 7 Pro at this point based on what we've seen. So, will my day to day usage change in the upgrade?

Every other smartphone switch has been to something different as you can see from the progression above. But trading 6P for 7P, I'm not even sure at this point if I could spot the differences in a double blind test where I couldn't see the camera bump.

I mean, it's probably a good thing. But it's also a boring thing.

At the end of the day, I'll probably end up upgrading from some self justified reason. I'm just hoping google has something more up their sleeve than "Tensor 2 and shinier camera bump." I also really wish they would just go with a goddamn flat screen on the Pro models.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have an ATT Pixel 6 Pro so I can OTA that update from the Google site, right? There's just the one version? I'm used to seeing a bunch of different versions for different providers.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Bull, what’s the condition of your SIM as someone who changes phones a lot? Provided you even use a physical one.

Mine is looking kinda rough, and I’ve just been bouncing between my iPhone and P6A the past week, though I have swapped it back and forth a lot as I’m paralyzed by indecision between the two experiences. Maybe the P6A is actually damaging it. I can feel it slot into that phone, and it’s a much more smooth insertion :grin: on the iPhone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, some of the contacts are a little shiny, but I haven't had any issue with it being hard to load into a phone or anything.

My SIM isn't that old, probably two years at this point when I replaced it with the newer 5g SIM that t-mobile has.

I would move to eSIM if it was easier, but things I've read says that T-Mobile makes you jump through hoops to change devices with eSIM under the illusion of fraud prevention.

Also, most of the unlocked Samsung devices didn't support eSIM until recently.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

At the end of the day, I'll probably end up upgrading from some self justified reason. I'm just hoping google has something more up their sleeve than "Tensor 2 and shinier camera bump." I also really wish they would just go with a goddamn flat screen on the Pro models.

Yeah, part of me would really like a telescopic lens, but a bigger part of me wants a flat screen on my phone.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Seriously, the round edge nonsense is infuriating.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hot drat, that Galaxy Flip looks great. What's Samsung UI smoothness like these days? I haven't used anything but a Pixel in Android land since 2017. From appearances I actually prefer the look of Samsung's UI - the current Settings menus on Pixels are just dull as hell.

Any likelihood of a foldable or flippable Pixel in the near future?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
With android 13,
Settings > Display > Lock Screen > Double-Line Clock (disable)

I never liked the double line clock on the lock screen from 12. Not sure if this is new with 13; but didn't see it before the update.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

deong posted:

With android 13,

I never liked the double line clock on the lock screen from 12. Not sure if this is new with 13; but didn't see it before the update.

loving thank youuuuu

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

deong posted:

With android 13,

That settings exists on 12, I've had the double line clock turned off for a while.

Still no 13 update available on my Pixel 6 Pro :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CLAM DOWN posted:

That settings exists on 12, I've had the double line clock turned off for a while.

Still no 13 update available on my Pixel 6 Pro :(

Wondered if that might be the case. None the less, happy to find it.
I put my p6p into the beta to get 13 to push. My office (where i am) forces encryption on usb so no side loading for me. Going into beta long enough to get the install then opting out should work for you too.