Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Has anyone actually gotten the Android 13 update the 'normal' way? As in NOT sideloading, or enrolling in the beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ohhh okay, so opt into the beta, get the official/non-beta update to 13, then opt out? That's how?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Merkinman posted:

Has anyone actually gotten the Android 13 update the 'normal' way? As in NOT sideloading, or enrolling in the beta?

I was already in the beta, so, maybe!

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The Merkinman posted:

It's showing up on my 5a after I did a manual check for updates. I'm not enrolled in any betas and never have been.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got it yesterday on my 5 by just checking for updates. Also not in beta.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Surprising precisely no one, my Fold 3 and Flip 3 are getting traded for a Fold 4 and Flip 4. Looks like I didn't do it a moment too soon because they started nerfing the trade in value of the Flip 3 to $700 if you only have the 128gb model.

I mean, the Flip was kinda no brainer since it was basically "pay $100 to get the newer one with double storage." The Fold 4 ended up costing like $850 out of pocket after trade, but that's also WITH a $400 GW5 Pro so, eh, whatever.

Both phones addressed my biggest complaints. Both got updated cameras (the Fold more than the Flip, but the Flips updates look good enough to the point where it feels much more usable). The battery life on the Flip is the other thing besides the camera that made me hesitate to use it more.

The slightly wider aspect ratio of the Fold 4 is a step in the right direction and having the full S22 camera suite on it should address the major issues I had with its camera. I may actually spend time with the SIM in the Fold this year.

Then the SD8+ Gen 1 over the 888 on the old models is just the icing on the cake. The Flip 3 would get SO hot using wireless android auto and from what I've seen so far it seems unlikely that it'll even get warm to the touch now.

Then both got durability improvements with the screen and I feel like that may be my strategy for foldables as they mature, get rid of the last generation before they have a chance to develop any folding screen related issues.

All the folding fun is also probably a reason why I'm not super excited about the Pixel 7/Pro. There's just nothing inherently fun there. It'll be a solid device, but the envelope isn't being pushed.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Got 13 the "normal" way on my P5 last night.

It broke RCS on mobile data. Chat features switch to "connecting" when I toggle wifi off.

Any thoughts on a solution?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hot drat, that Galaxy Flip looks great. What's Samsung UI smoothness like these days? I haven't used anything but a Pixel in Android land since 2017. From appearances I actually prefer the look of Samsung's UI - the current Settings menus on Pixels are just dull as hell.

Any likelihood of a foldable or flippable Pixel in the near future?

I'm now on a Fold 3 after using Pixel exclusively since my old Edge S7. One UI has come a long way and it's very pleasant and smooth now. Samsung still installs a bunch of bloat but it's easy enough to disable. Some of their Galaxy exclusive features are actually pretty useful now, too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ohhh okay, so opt into the beta, get the official/non-beta update to 13, then opt out? That's how?

This worked. I'm on 13 now!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

This worked. I'm on 13 now!

Does it factory reset the phone still or is that not a thing on the stable release that's given via beta program? My mother's Pixel 5 and roommate's Pixel 4 XL both got the update but I'm still waiting on my P6P.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does it factory reset the phone still or is that not a thing on the stable release that's given via beta program? My mother's Pixel 5 and roommate's Pixel 4 XL both got the update but I'm still waiting on my P6P.

Nope, no reset. I opted-in, had the update available OTA a minute later, and after installing, opted-out. No wipe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If you leave the beta while on a stable release (which you get at the end of the beta), it doesn't require a factory reset.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope, no reset. I opted-in, had the update available OTA a minute later, and after installing, opted-out. No wipe.

bull3964 posted:

If you leave the beta while on a stable release (which you get at the end of the beta), it doesn't require a factory reset.

Sweet! Doing this then.

Thanks a bunch.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

deong posted:

With android 13,
Settings > Display > Lock Screen > Double-Line Clock (disable)

I never liked the double line clock on the lock screen from 12. Not sure if this is new with 13; but didn't see it before the update.

I think this was a 12.1 addition actually.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Pixel 5 question: I'm stuck in Canada (from USA) with a bad phone plan (Google Fi Flexible)

Since my Google Fi is on the eSim, could I go to a Canadian network and get a sim card with data only, for the duration of my trip? Would my Google Fi work concurrently for texts and calls, while the Canadian sim handled data?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

Appears you can simply enter the beta, check for the update and leave it again.

Edit: Does not work unfortunately.

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 17, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I've just been checking for updates the regular way, and nothing so far.

I'm not too het up about it, just curious when the update will roll out to me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Appears you can simply enter the beta, check for the update and leave it again.

That's what I just said I did???

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

smoobles posted:

Pixel 5 question: I'm stuck in Canada (from USA) with a bad phone plan (Google Fi Flexible)

Since my Google Fi is on the eSim, could I go to a Canadian network and get a sim card with data only, for the duration of my trip? Would my Google Fi work concurrently for texts and calls, while the Canadian sim handled data?

Don't know if there's any carrier fuckery but when you put in two sim cards you can select which one to use for data and which one for calls/texts. So it should be fine.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

smoobles posted:

You can, but... last time I checked, Canadian data-only plans were total garbage. If you find one that charges less than $10/GB (+ activation and possibly other bullshit), please let me know. Assuming that you're doing this because you want to use more than 3GB of data or so: When does your next billing cycle start? If it's soon, you're probably best off switching to one of Fi's unlimited plans for a month and then back once you return. If not, well, now you know for next time to switch the month before you travel, since painless roaming is one of the few perks of Fi.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

eXXon posted:

You can, but... last time I checked, Canadian data-only plans were total garbage. If you find one that charges less than $10/GB (+ activation and possibly other bullshit), please let me know.

I looked into getting a Canadian sim card at one point (turned out not to need it), and the near-unanimous consensus was "just pay roaming charges on your existing plan, it'll be cheaper." I don't know what Canada's doing with their cell phone plans, but it's brutal.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does multi esim work for anyone on Android 13? I tried it but it seems to still only allow for one sim to be active at a time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

I looked into getting a Canadian sim card at one point (turned out not to need it), and the near-unanimous consensus was "just pay roaming charges on your existing plan, it'll be cheaper." I don't know what Canada's doing with their cell phone plans, but it's brutal.

trust me, we don't like it either

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does anyone know if it's a PodcastAddict or Android 13 setting that makes the lockscreen widget look like this? It wasn't this big or this red on 12:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Incessant Excess posted:

Does anyone know if it's a PodcastAddict or Android 13 setting that makes the lockscreen widget look like this? It wasn't this big or this red on 12:

The latter. One of the changes to Android 13.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Incessant Excess posted:

drat turning on your phone to have Meltzer looking grumpy at you has gotta suck

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
You maniacs! Y'all updating to Android 13 and not restoring to factory settings! Goddamn you all to hell!

So no foldable Pixel for a few years at least I take it? What are the general experiences with battery life on them? My Pixel 6 isn't bad but pales compared to the Pixel 5, the greatest battery life in history.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You maniacs! Y'all updating to Android 13 and not restoring to factory settings! Goddamn you all to hell!

So no foldable Pixel for a few years at least I take it? What are the general experiences with battery life on them? My Pixel 6 isn't bad but pales compared to the Pixel 5, the greatest battery life in history.

A week or so ago it seemed like the Duckduckgo tracker blocking started sucking down my battery a lot when previously it had been fine, but a couple updates later and it's been back to easily getting two days out of my Pixel 6.

Still waiting on the Android 13 update.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Rumors earlier in the year suggested that it was cancelled.

I get around 6hr SOT with my Fold 3.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Incessant Excess posted:

It's OS level.

A likely explanation is that Google's data showed that the number of people annoyed by the loss of the compact controls from 11/12 is far outweighed by the number of people who couldn't access the lockscreen music seekbar at all/didn't know it existed because they never fully opened quick settings. So their solution was to kill the compact version and just always show the full version. Power users who need more notification real estate on the lockscreen at any given moment can just swipe the player away (since the controls persist in QS as before) and toggle play/pause from the OG app/QS controls if they need them back.

FWIW the current design is still more compact than the OG Material design controls used in Android 5 through 10:

13's persistent seekbar also seems to have some accidental touch prevention unlike Lollipops (which probably contributed to the decision to kill the compact controls).

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 17, 2022

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I can't remember the last time I did a factory reset for an update.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Vagrancy posted:

This probably rules out Wear OS since the Google Clock app only supports setting one timer directly from the watch (subsequent timers just update/change the original). Timers set from the phone will still sound/display on the watch once they expire so you could make it work if they did most things from the phone. I don't think Samsung's equivalent app for watches will save you here either because IIRC even their phone app doesn't do multiple timers.

Versa 3/Sense def seems to be the answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsBQPyF1oxI&t=70s

Labels may not be as bold as you'd like, but its pretty much your only option on the Google side.

This looks good, I wish the label text was bigger but I think it's workable and they'll probably get some use out of the sensors as well. Seems like the Sense is on sale at a decent price right now. Is there any reason I shouldn't go that route?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Why would I restore to factory settings for an OS update? That's weird.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why would I restore to factory settings for an OS update? That's weird.

It's a sperg thing held over from those crazy days where major phone updates caused me slow downs, instability and worse battery life. Makes me feel like a real man for still doing it.

My Pixel 6 battery life really seems to suck when on mobile data in work, where it gets a 5G signal. Would I be better switching to 4G or turning off WiFi until I get home?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

5G is a massive battery suck on the Pixel 6 - they're using a less power efficient radio for it. So absolutely going to 4G/LTE will safe battery life, much more than turning off wifi will.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would say it's certainly a YMMV thing. I've never noticed a difference between 5g on and off with my P6P on T-Mobile but I have a strong 5g signal almost everywhere I go.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cheers, it's just preferred network type isn't it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Cheers, it's just preferred network type isn't it?

Not sure how it behaves for other countries/people, but for me, I have it set to LTE as the preferred network type and it effectively disables 5G.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I would say it's certainly a YMMV thing. I've never noticed a difference between 5g on and off with my P6P on T-Mobile but I have a strong 5g signal almost everywhere I go.

I would agree but I remember reading battery tests that prove how inefficient the 5G modem is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

5g seems fine on T-Mobile for me as well - could it depend on which 5g band it's using?