Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

withoutclass posted:

Get a pixel 7 from Google for $20 after trade in.

Is that from the Gstore?
I have a p6p and poo poo reception. Seems like the p7p fixes that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I traded my P6P for a P7P and so far am much happier with the new modem. The P6P would only grab a 5G connection with strong signal and drop down to LTE if I looked at it sideways, but the P7P maintains a 5G connection with ease. I'm on Xfinity Mobile/Verizon in an area with a strong ultrawideband deployment and it seems significantly better at opportunistically switching to 5GUW and staying connected to it as well.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Thinking of sending my Pixel 5 to Google for the $100 battery replacement service, anyone else done this? Any horror stories or reasons not to?

I used Asurion (UBreakIFix) once for a battery replacement and they broke my phone, hence considering sending this one in, instead.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

smoobles posted:

or reasons not to?

For that same $100 you could get a Pixel 7 direct from Google after trade assuming the rest of the phone is in good shape.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

bull3964 posted:

For that same $100 you could get a Pixel 7 direct from Google after trade assuming the rest of the phone is in good shape.

Appreciate this but I already had a Pixel 7 and sold it to buy a used Pixel 5, lol.

Phone was too big, but I don't wanna switch to Samsung.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

deong posted:

Is that from the Gstore?
I have a p6p and poo poo reception. Seems like the p7p fixes that.

Yea but the deal is not as good for p6p -> p7p. I think it'll be $150 or some such.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

smoobles posted:

Appreciate this but I already had a Pixel 7 and sold it to buy a used Pixel 5, lol.

Phone was too big, but I don't wanna switch to Samsung.

My wife loves her 6a if you want a smaller phone

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The 5 is pretty much my perfect phone in every way, except the degraded battery life on this particular one I bought off eBay. Just gotta get the battery swapped I think and it'll be great for the next 2 years.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Soul Glo posted:

I’m actually having trouble with RCS on my Pixel 7. I swapped from my P7 to my iPhone and back again and now the “Chatting” messages aren’t going through in my conversation with my wife, who’s also using Android and RCS.

Is there a cache somewhere on my P7 I should try clearing or did I break something here.

The answer for this was to go into Airplane Mode to completely disconnect from my network, clear the Cache and Storages for Messages and Carrier Settings, disable Airplane Mode, restart the device. When I rebooted and went into Messages, after I sent a SMS, the phone popped the This phone is ready to Chat message and after hitting okay, it started working again.

Could be any number of factors between switching between P7 and iPhone, using an Unlocked phone on my AT&T network, RCS being new and lovely, who knows. Never happened before jumping between iPhone and P6A, but who knows!

Actually, it said it was working, and now it isn't! So that didn't fix it!

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 19, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My pixel came from the carrier plus I'm in Canada so pretty sure I can't do that $20 trade in. The modern definitely is the weakest point.

Not really concerned about how great the soc is as long as it does it's job. I never game on phones and am only really concerned with camera quality

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Got the 7 Pro today. I would never betray the Pixel Warrior cause. I am a true OG. All fakers and haters can eat my nuts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Kirios posted:

My wife loves her 6a if you want a smaller phone

The 6a and the 7 are pretty much the same size.

codo27 posted:

Not really concerned about how great the soc is as long as it does it's job.

It doesn't, not really. The SD8 Gen 1 is the worst SoC that Qualcomm put out in generations. The regular S22 has some of the worst battery life on the market as a result and will make a nice toasty hand warmer too which may be a plus moving into winter.

We're like 2.5 months from the S23 and it's going to be a MASSIVELY better phone and preorder bonuses for that is going to be the usual Samsung overkill. Do not buy an S22 right now.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 19, 2022

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Got the 7 Pro today. I would never betray the Pixel Warrior cause. I am a true OG. All fakers and haters can eat my nuts.

Picked up a 7 few weeks ago which is the first time I've had a current gen pixel since the nexus years. I usually get one a year late with a big discount

Its excellent, pixel warrior 4 lyfe

(I had issues with the fingerprint scanner to begin with but now it's all good)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dad is complaining to me because Google "changed the logo to messages and why do they do things like that it's just unnecessarily confusing to be one thing and then it's another thing"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Send him this to clear up any confusion

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1587640766696140800

https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1587646444185751552

It couldn't possibly be simpler

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Best google chat is the one in photos

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Skarsnik posted:

Best google chat is the one in photos

I mostly use maps chat.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Upgraded from a Pixel 5 to a 7 Pro and I gotta say the size difference is pretty stark but I'm happy to be back in big phone country. The 5 was probably the best size in a practical sense but this screen is just so nice. I switched on 1440p mode as soon as I found the setting and it's probably placebo but I think it looks great. Battery life suffers a lot though with 1440p and 120hz on

Aside from the phone being suicidal and looking to eject itself from every hand and pocket I'm totally satisfied

Buy a pixel

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
whats that thing rattling in the p7p when you shake it?

is it the gyro

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

probably the camera OIS assembly

if so you may find it doesn't rattle when the camera app is open

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Duggler posted:

Upgraded from a Pixel 5 to a 7 Pro and I gotta say the size difference is pretty stark but I'm happy to be back in big phone country. The 5 was probably the best size in a practical sense but this screen is just so nice. I switched on 1440p mode as soon as I found the setting and it's probably placebo but I think it looks great. Battery life suffers a lot though with 1440p and 120hz on

Aside from the phone being suicidal and looking to eject itself from every hand and pocket I'm totally satisfied

Buy a pixel

Is there a measurable difference in battery consumption on 1080p vs 1440p on the 6 or 7 Pro?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Best Buy honored the price difference today for the Pixel 7 I got a couple weeks ago. $110 back!

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is there a measurable difference in battery consumption on 1080p vs 1440p on the 6 or 7 Pro?

Battery life is great even in 1440p. I haven't done any actual comparisons but I wouldn't worry about it. I probably just kept playing with it the rest of the night without charging as one does with new toys

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Okay, the Pixel 7's face unlock is awesome

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Do the face unlock and the fingerprint unlock use successive unlocks to further train its model and thus become faster/more reliable over time?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Is there any risk in using a charger that is more powerful than the phone's stated spec?

I have a USB C charger from an Acer Chromebook I bought last year. Is there any reason I shouldn't plug our Pixel 6 Pro or Pixel 7 into that charger?

https://imgur.com/HaXU5a1

I've seen a few things online that claim a modern phone will be smart enough to handle this situation. If so, is that also generally true for other devices, such as my Pixel Buds or GoPro from a few generations ago?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My 2020 Moto G Power doesn't seem to have issues or side effects after recharging with either my Dell or my Chromebook's USB-C chargers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Do the face unlock and the fingerprint unlock use successive unlocks to further train its model and thus become faster/more reliable over time?

That's a great question. No idea. Face unlock is working amazing even though I recognize it's way less secure. I'm actually having issues with the fingerprint scanner and think I need to re-do my thumb(s) :( It's extremely fast, it just doesn't recognize the thumb.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I use the Lenovo USB C chargers for phones at work all the time and no issues. But then, with google hardware..

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

On my P7P I have face unlock and 4 fingers registered and it consistently fails to scan my right thumb, the one I nearly always use to unlock.

I've already tried re-enrolling it, which is a pain in the rear end since it clears biometric authentication for sensitive apps, and it still fails more than it succeeds. Tried all the usual tricks and angles when registering but no dice. No scars or anything that can affect it and the other fingers work, so it's not a humidity issue or something of that nature.

I really hope that it eventually improves because it's my biggest issue with this phone.
Love the zoom and macro modes, love the screen, pretty decent speakers and battery life, no issues with cell or wifi reception, just need it to scan my loving thumb.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

So I'm up for a new phone with my carrier (Koodo Mobile in Canada), and I'm considering getting the Pixel 7 but was wondering about my other possible options. I'd be upgrading from a Pixel 5 btw.

They're running a pretty absurd Black Friday deal. The phone is something like $720 CAD off with their Tab plans so I can get it for $0 down and then just $9 on my bill a month for two years. It looks like a good phone but my main concern is the battery life since based on the reviews it seems like it's a significant drop over what the Pixel 5 was new. Is it really that bad by comparison with normal use?

Given what's available from my carrier in roughly the same price bracket, my other options are the Pixel 7 Pro ($630 off) or the Samsung S22 ($760 off), but given both are more expensive it would be $384/$15 a month and $240/$15 a month respectively.

Are either worth considering paying extra over the Pixel 7? If I did get the S22, I'd be immediately just installing the Google Now launcher anyway assuming that's a thing you can still do because I really like the base Android experience over the bloated Samsung interface (last Samsung phone I had was a Galaxy S7 ages ago). Both seem to have a few more nice premium features (mostly camera related) but the battery life seems in the same ballpark as the Pixel 7 of "not amazing".

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 21, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wife's 3a is doing the "stuck power button constantly calling emergency services" thing. We have a 3 and 3a that both do it!

But I was wanting to upgrade her to a 5G phone anyway. What's the best Android phone in that form factor? She hates the size of the 6/7 that I have. Too big. She likes small phones.

edit: Looks like 6a is the smallest of the 5G pixels. I kinda want to stay in Pixel land so I'll prob go with that. And... DUh. I can trade in the 3a for $200 off. Done.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 21, 2022

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I haven't had to janitor Android in forever: is there any way to see what's eating battery but not showing up in the stock battery usage list without rooting or messing around with ADB? I have a new Pixel 7 (well, new as in I've been using it about a week) and something is keeping the A78 cores maxed out(per Aida 64), keeping the phone warm and chewing about 10% battery per hour. Whatever it is survives reboots but occasionally stops for a bit overnight, firing back up when I start using the phone in the morning.

There's nothing installed that wasn't also on a Pixel 4a that didn't have the problem.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So I'm up for a new phone with my carrier (Koodo Mobile in Canada), and I'm considering getting the Pixel 7 but was wondering about my other possible options. I'd be upgrading from a Pixel 5 btw.

They're running a pretty absurd Black Friday deal. The phone is something like $720 CAD off with their Tab plans so I can get it for $0 down and then just $9 on my bill a month for two years. It looks like a good phone but my main concern is the battery life since based on the reviews it seems like it's a significant drop over what the Pixel 5 was new. Is it really that bad by comparison with normal use?

Given what's available from my carrier in roughly the same price bracket, my other options are the Pixel 7 Pro ($630 off) or the Samsung S22 ($760 off), but given both are more expensive it would be $384/$15 a month and $240/$15 a month respectively.

Are either worth considering paying extra over the Pixel 7? If I did get the S22, I'd be immediately just installing the Google Now launcher anyway assuming that's a thing you can still do because I really like the base Android experience over the bloated Samsung interface (last Samsung phone I had was a Galaxy S7 ages ago). Both seem to have a few more nice premium features (mostly camera related) but the battery life seems in the same ballpark as the Pixel 7 of "not amazing".

If the first thing you're gonna do with an S22 is try to turn it into a Pixel, just go for the Pixel in the first place. Personally, I'd go with the Pro assuming the size and money are not an issue.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don't Ask posted:

On my P7P I have face unlock and 4 fingers registered and it consistently fails to scan my right thumb, the one I nearly always use to unlock.

I've already tried re-enrolling it, which is a pain in the rear end since it clears biometric authentication for sensitive apps, and it still fails more than it succeeds. Tried all the usual tricks and angles when registering but no dice. No scars or anything that can affect it and the other fingers work, so it's not a humidity issue or something of that nature.

I really hope that it eventually improves because it's my biggest issue with this phone.
Love the zoom and macro modes, love the screen, pretty decent speakers and battery life, no issues with cell or wifi reception, just need it to scan my loving thumb.

Weird. It's specifically my right thumb with the issue too. Left is fine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

How's your skin? I wonder sometimes if my eczema affects it, somehow. Fingerprint readers have never been kind to me

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

How's your skin? I wonder sometimes if my eczema affects it, somehow. Fingerprint readers have never been kind to me

Normal! It's so weird.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I've only had my phone for the weekend basically but I've noticed my right thumb fingerprint working a lot better than at first. I'm pretty sure it even tells you it'll keep improving the image of your print to improve responsiveness over time.

Miss the back reader of the pixel 5 so much though, it was just better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I'm honestly really impressed with the fingerprint reader on my P7 Pro.

I only have the old P2XL to compare with, and while I still miss the the back ready when pulling the phone out of the pocket, the front reader works really well on all four fingers I have registered (thumb and index on both hands)

I was a bit hesitant about it after reading about the issues some people had with the P6 series, but I think I have only had a handful of times where it didn't register my print.