Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm guessing it won't be as bad as we might think, but if millions of phones suddenly fall behind on updates or a new update system gets made in haste with reluctant funding, there will be a lot of people trying pretty hard to find exploits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Eventually the only choice for an Android phone will be BLU.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

endlessmonotony posted:

Huawei's done for. Xiaomi is the next one on the chopping block.

I wonder how true that is. Xiaomi has no telecommunications arm that I'm aware of and they use Qualcomm SoCs. I understand that, to a certain extent, every Chinese company is at risk of this happening to it but Xiaomi seems more like a Foxconn that sells phones than a Huawei.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
What's stopping Huawei from making it's own update pipeline, with blackjack and hookers?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Killstick posted:

What's stopping Huawei from making it's own update pipeline, with blackjack and hookers?

The updates aren't the big loss, the play store is.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
And their app store already has blackjack and hookers

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Sir Lemming posted:

And their app store already has blackjack and hookers

I think you mean backdoors and hijacks.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Kind of bummed that my Mate 20 will probably be my last Huawei device. It and my Mate 9 were an awesome blend of performance, camera quality, and ridiculous battery life.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

The Merkinman posted:

Eventually the only choice for an Android phone will be BLU.

I'm going to Kickstart a good 4.2" phone with a 4000mah battery every time I want a new one

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Incessant Excess posted:

I wonder how true that is. Xiaomi has no telecommunications arm that I'm aware of and they use Qualcomm SoCs. I understand that, to a certain extent, every Chinese company is at risk of this happening to it but Xiaomi seems more like a Foxconn that sells phones than a Huawei.

Offloading all your software to US-based companies might get you away from getting thwacked by the US, as long as you can reasonably guarantee you can't actually deploy anything. Android One might work for that.

If the company has the ability to get rootkits onto customer phones, both the US and China will shamelessly attempt to force companies in their jurisdiction to do just that, and the US will shut down any company the Chinese have been caught using as a surveillance tool. Given you can reasonably prove the phone doesn't have any rootkits at any given time, and silently deploying them via updates is the primary threat model, Chinese companies sticking to hardware only could (and do) work.

mystes
May 31, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Given you can reasonably prove the phone doesn't have any rootkits at any given time, and silently deploying them via updates is the primary threat model, Chinese companies sticking to hardware only could (and do) work.
Phone makers don't need "root kits" and it really isn't possible to prove that phones don't have backdoors.

However, it is very unlikely that the US will ban all imports of electronics from China out of concerns about backdoors getting added after they are sold because that would cripple the US economy.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

nong posted:

The hardware feature on Huawei devices is excellent especially for its price. So keep on buying them if you want the best bang for your buck and dont worry about the political theatrics being played by american politicians.

Encouraging people to buy phones that won't ever see a security update seems woefully irresponsible.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
How much value a phone offers for your money isn't answered by hardware alone, software has to be considered. Huawei already had the worst software experience of the major Android manufacturers in the west (Samsung, Huawei, OnePlus, Google), without access to the Play Store the phones become bad value for money.

EDIT: Are there any best practices when selling an Android device? Google seems to suggest logging out of your account and then resetting, anyone have experience if that's enough?

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 20, 2019

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

angerbeet posted:

I bought a Google Pixel 3a on a whim today, it seems nice and ported over most everything from my Xperia XA. Was it a wise choice? I buy phones outright as I'm on some ridiculous grandfathered plan ($~40 a month for unlimited everything which is crazy cheap in Canada) - to even qualify for the phone to be on a tab or payment plan for two years I'd need to move to a $60 a month plan which is $240, and then the tab fees paying down the phone.

I don't know I always feel like buying the phone outright is a better option (esp. with budget smartphones) but I am willing to be proved wrong.

This got lost in the international relations chat. Most reviews seem to agree that, yes, the 3a is a solid phone for the price. If camera quality matters to you, you can't do better for the cost (and arguably can't do much better at any cost).

It's not a perfect phone by any means, but no phone is at that price point. I think you did fine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its a good thing Google or any of the social media sites we deal with dont collect data or pose any kind of security or privacy risk!!

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

If the next Pixel finally adopts wide angle and tele lenses, I will so be on board. They give you a lot of freedom when it comes to taking pictures and it will be a sorely missed feature when I give up my Mate 20.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

and I'm not even sure that a backdoor was ever even discovered on their phones yet

More backdoors have been discovered from the NSA than from Huawei.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This is the perfect moment for Microsoft to resurrect Windows Mobile via Huawei and and... :haw:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Guillermus posted:

This is the perfect moment for Microsoft to resurrect Windows Mobile via Huawei and and... :haw:

Microsoft isn't allowed to do business with Huawei either.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Jokes aside, as an european I don't know what kind of market practice is that. My wife still uses my old Huawei P9 (works a charm), I own a Nokia 7 plus (shouldn't be an issue with Google since HMD Global is finnish) but this is for sure gonna change quite a bit the game. For sure it'll change for me since after a good experience with a P9, and some coworkers loving their P20's, a P30 in the future would have owned.

Maybe chinese brands consider investing on some open source OS like Ubuntu Touch (not saying that this one will be).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Jokes aside, as an european I don't know what kind of market practice is that. My wife still uses my old Huawei P9 (works a charm), I own a Nokia 7 plus (shouldn't be an issue with Google since HMD Global is finnish) but this is for sure gonna change quite a bit the game. For sure it'll change for me since after a good experience with a P9, and some coworkers loving their P20's, a P30 in the future would have owned.

Maybe chinese brands consider investing on some open source OS like Ubuntu Touch (not saying that this one will be).

Just it's clear, Android open source can still be used by Huawei. It's Google services and the Play Store that's the big deal, and update certification.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I wonder if this could lead to play store sideloading becoming commonplace, perhaps as part of the initial setup process or perhaps even with carriers offering to do it for their customers. It would seem kinda low rent for a flagship device tho, if such a workaround would even be legal in the first place. It's a pretty out there idea but so is Huawei phones straight up disappearing from the market, they've seen enormous growth the past couple years here and have become near ubiquitous.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just it's clear, Android open source can still be used by Huawei. It's Google services and the Play Store that's the big deal, and update certification.

Thanks for the clarification.

Incessant Excess posted:

I wonder if this could lead to play store sideloading becoming commonplace, perhaps as part of the initial setup process or perhaps even with carriers offering to do it for their customers. It would seem kinda low rent for a flagship device tho, if such a workaround would even be legal in the first place. It's a pretty out there idea but so is Huawei phones straight up disappearing from the market, they've seen enormous growth the past couple years here and have become near ubiquitous.

Huawei has been around for quite a long time before they even started to spread their phones like, almost all the mobile internet dongles (the USB poo poo you plugged at laptops using mobile internet data) were made by Huawei, at least the ones distributed in Europe by Vodafone, Orange and other big companies. I don't think they'll give up with phones easily considering their growth around the world. Maybe it's time for a 3rd contender again, this time with chinese brands behind it. CoD Black Ops 2 style.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

The lack of access to the play store is an obvious big issue but the Google services part is a huge blow all it's own, this ars piece gives some good insight why that is:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/

Basically a large part of API development happens inside closed source Google apps, rather than AOSP.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

The lack of access to the play store is an obvious big issue but the Google services part is a huge blow all it's own, this ars piece gives some good insight why that is:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/

Basically a large part of API development happens inside closed source Google apps, rather than AOSP.

I mean, yeah, I said it was a big deal.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What about Motorla Mobility? Considering that Lenovo owns that brand in particular.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

I mean, yeah, I said it was a big deal.

The link was meant for anyone interested in further reading on the topic, not you specifically.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mystes posted:

Phone makers don't need "root kits" and it really isn't possible to prove that phones don't have backdoors.

However, it is very unlikely that the US will ban all imports of electronics from China out of concerns about backdoors getting added after they are sold because that would cripple the US economy.

Unless someone has figured out subatomic circuitry then you can locate and eliminate any hardware hacks installing surveillance software or tracking the user by themselves with the tools we have. Now you can't ever be absolutely sure, which is why I said "reasonably prove", but then, you can't be absolutely sure you aren't hallucinating all of the internet either.

And a phone maker does need a rootkit to stay persistent if someone else has control over the update pipeline.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol that was fast

U.S. eases some restrictions on China's Huawei to keep mobile networks operating

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/20/google-pixel-3a-and-3a-xl-random-shut-down-bug/

There's a problem where the Pixel 3a shuts itself down and can only be brought back up and running via hard reset.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I wonder if HTC could shoehorn themselves back into relevancy with Huawei out of the "bigger" picture. Stop trying to ReInvent the iPhone and just make some drat cool, good camera and affordable devices again and get back into the drat game again.

Their push to be some super Premium brand, with the price tag but near none of the features was a loosing bet even from the Insider groups point of view.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EdEddnEddy posted:

I wonder if HTC could shoehorn themselves back into relevancy with Huawei out of the "bigger" picture. Stop trying to ReInvent the iPhone and just make some drat cool, good camera and affordable devices again and get back into the drat game again.

They don't have any engineers left, they all work for google now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Eh, a 90 day period for everyone to divest themselves isn't the same as being out of the woods. That said, it could just as easily be a bluff and will never come to pass. In the end the uncertainty is as damaging as an outright ban.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

More backdoors have been discovered from the NSA than from Huawei.

Huawei hasn't been caught implementing any backdoors so far. Of course, there's always a grey area. Like with Cisco equipment, where a new hidden login that has been "accidentally" left behind is discovered every other month. I'm sure US agencies know nothing about these.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

e: oh there's a recommendation thread, I can't read.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 21, 2019

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lambert posted:

Huawei hasn't been caught implementing any backdoors so far. Of course, there's always a grey area. Like with Cisco equipment, where a new hidden login that has been "accidentally" left behind is discovered every other month. I'm sure US agencies know nothing about these.

The cynic might say that it's not the backdoors that Huawei is inserting into their hardware, it's the backdoors they aren't (i.e. ours).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You'd think with so many people having my data they would at least help me make better life choices

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vyst posted:

You'd think with so many people having my data they would at least help me make better life choices

Whenever anyone mentions that Google is creepy, I say I agree that it is but of everyone accessing my data they're the only one who tells me if the traffic is bad on my route to work.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

OhFunny posted:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/20/google-pixel-3a-and-3a-xl-random-shut-down-bug/

There's a problem where the Pixel 3a shuts itself down and can only be brought back up and running via hard reset.

I read about this yesterday just as I was about to buy a 3a lol. I think I'm going to wait to hear what comes of it. All of the articles I've read have titles like "no end in sight" and stuff like that but haven't all of the pixel phones had issues at launch? Hasn't google always done good by their customer base? Also is anyone ITT experiencing issues with their Pixel 3A? I've been using a moto play g6 and I've had it about a month and already shattered the ever-loving poo poo out of the screen. F.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Their push to be some super Premium brand, with the price tag but near none of the features was a loosing bet even from the Insider groups point of view.

I really liked my HTC One m8 but it really was overpriced and the camera was horrible. I would have liked the phone a lot more if it weren't for Sense UI breaking things.

That said I really do miss the build quality of that device and having stereo front facing speakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

LastInLine posted:

Whenever anyone mentions that Google is creepy, I say I agree that it is but of everyone accessing my data they're the only one who tells me if the traffic is bad on my route to work.

Didn't they buy up the last company that tried to step to them on that front?