Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

How bad are your eyes that you need a giant unwieldy phone? I have the regular 4 and it's still too big.

My eyes are great, I actually scale down the font size on my phones. But my hands are huge, I can't type well on tiny phones made for infant baby hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Me holding known baby phone S20 Ultra.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Okay, Paul Bunyan

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Are we doing this now? Here's the appropriate hand-phone size ratio.

While we're at it, the correct pocket orientation is right-side-up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

Are we doing this now? Here's the appropriate hand-phone size ratio.

While we're at it, the correct pocket orientation is right-side-up.

You are a mutant monster.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

You are a mutant monster.
It's an iPhone 5s, they're correctly-sized.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think iOS and Android both have their merits as do their hardware counterparts.
I also think I'd be happy with large phones and small phones.
I enjoy my Pixel 4XL and have few complaints.

That's my input

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I don't feel like I have super giant hands, but I can hold my Note 10+ similarly to Bull and his S20.

Giant hand havers unite.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

couldcareless posted:

I think iOS and Android both have their merits as do their hardware counterparts.

That's my input

The biggest iOS lie is 'Google apps work just as well maybe even better on iOS'.

Anyway having recently switched back to Android from a couple of years on a 7 Plus the only thing I miss from iOS is AirPlay and that's only because the Sonos app sucks balls on both platforms. I really thought I was going to miss the Apple watch too but if anything the cheap Samsung Watch Active I picked up is better anyway.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My input is I just want an iPad to draw on and once my Pixelbook loses support and upgrades, I'll probably grab whatever the newest / cheapest iPad is.

Pixel 4 XL is great and one day I will try the astrophotography when it's not cloudy in Omaha. How's that look in a real world scenario anyway?

Also is it better to just have a dark wallpaper on AMOLED or is it okay to use whatever you want since you probably won't be on the homescreen that much anyway?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pixel 4 XL is great and one day I will try the astrophotography when it's not cloudy in Omaha. How's that look in a real world scenario anyway?

I took this back in Feb in my backyard without attempting to rid myself of ambient light in my backyard and a street light nearby. Not quite great for stars, but I thought it was a pretty picture regardless so I kept it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

couldcareless posted:

I took this back in Feb in my backyard without attempting to rid myself of ambient light in my backyard and a street light nearby. Not quite great for stars, but I thought it was a pretty picture regardless so I kept it.

Holy poo poo this is a good picture.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I posted this right after I got my 4xl. Directly out of camera. I took it by opening my dining room widow and propping my tripod against it.

You can see what must have been a satellite (maybe ISS?) in the lower center of the sky as it manifests itself as a dotted line.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 14, 2020

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Big phone chat: Also owned a Galaxy Note 3 at one point and thought that was a huge phone.

Turns out the 3a XL is about the same size, give or take a few mm. I can get my hands around it, but just barely.

couldcareless posted:

That's my input

I didn't want to be locked into the iOS ecosystem, so that made the iPhone SE a no-go, too.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Was thinking of switching back to my Galaxy S10+ for a while and noticed a black dot on my screen that I didn't see before:

Anybody know what that is? It's perfectly circular so I don't think it's a dead pixel (unless that's what they look like on OLEDs?), could it be damage of some kind? I've seen pictures of great big black circles on phone screens online while Googling what this is, is this gonna get bigger until a big portion of the screen is just unusable?

It's never been underwater or anything like that, and it has taken a few drops over the year I used it, but I never noticed this there when using the phone.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Use a magnifying glass, but I'd definitely put money on a dead pixel (or a few).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/05/14/google-pixel-4a-rumor-puts-128gb-model-at-349/

Pixel 4a 128gb might be $349.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If that's right and it's even just a minor upgrade to the 3a, that's fuckin' stellar. I'll be laughing all the way to the bank at you flagship buyers!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

There's talk that MAYBE there won't be a 64GB Pixel 4a and it'll just be the $349 128GB version. However, we've supposedly seen the 64GB so maybe that'll be for non-NA / EU markets?

Thermopyle posted:

If that's right and it's even just a minor upgrade to the 3a, that's fuckin' stellar. I'll be laughing all the way to the bank at you flagship buyers!

My Pixel 4 XL laughs as it towers over the smaller Pixel 4a. :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That would be very good news for Google and the Pixel line!

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Soul Glo posted:

Was thinking of switching back to my Galaxy S10+ for a while and noticed a black dot on my screen that I didn't see before:

Anybody know what that is? It's perfectly circular so I don't think it's a dead pixel (unless that's what they look like on OLEDs?), could it be damage of some kind? I've seen pictures of great big black circles on phone screens online while Googling what this is, is this gonna get bigger until a big portion of the screen is just unusable?

It's never been underwater or anything like that, and it has taken a few drops over the year I used it, but I never noticed this there when using the phone.

Mine did the same thing when I dropped it. The glass wasn't damaged, but the screen was.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bull3964 posted:

It's an IR camera, so certain materials are IR transparent (as remotes are since they have to send signals) and certain materials reflect differently.

IR cameras can see through some fabrics. This is not going to end well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

grack posted:

IR cameras can see through some fabrics. This is not going to end well.

You can't see though any fabric with this camera. It doesn't have great dynamic range and is pretty limited at 5mp.

On the subject of cameras, let's talk night mode.

It's 1:30am, it's a completely cloud covered night so no moon. So let's see what we can see out of the kitchen window. Naked eye, you can't really see much of anything, it's pretty pitch black. You can maybe see the faint outline of the treeline against the sky and a few really vague house features. These were all handheld, braced against the open window frame.

Let's start with the mainstay. The Pixel 4XL with the smaller 12mp sensor. The night mode took about a 6 second exposure.

Probably the most "night looking" out of all of the cameras. You know it's a dark scene. You can see enough to understand what's in the image. If you mess with the levels in post you can bring out a lot more of the shadows, but it's pretty noisy.

Ok, let's move on to the Galaxy S20 ultra with its large size, but 108mp pixel binned sensor. Capture was a full 10 seconds.

That's uh...well...hummm. The words "shockingly bad" come to mind? I tried it several times to see if there was a fluke, but it came out the same every time. What's funny is that the preview before it finished processing had more detail than the final image. Samsung processing at its finest. Kill noise at all cost. Dynamic range is really limited too aside from the clouds which show the most contrast out of all three. I've seen some good night shots with this camera when there's more light, so this is certainly the edge worst case situation, but yeah. $1300 flagship camera there.

Finally, the OnePlus 8 Pro. 48mp pixel binned sensor that's just slightly smaller than the S20 Ultra sensor. So, the native pixel size is much larger. Capture was only 3 seconds, bout half the time as the pixel and 1/3rd of the time of the S20 ultra.

Rather impressive. It leans more towards the "daylight at night" way of processing vs the Pixel's more natural processing, but it's certainly the most "out of camera" ready photo out of all of them. The noise reduction is more aggressive than the pixel, but there is more detail at a 100% crop. It is the most usable shot by far out of all three of them and the fact that it had the fastest capture means that you would be more likely to get the shot without movement mucking it up.

Like I said, this is an extreme low light situation and the situation may change when there's more reasonable light to work with, but OnePlus seems to have a winner on their hands with this new Sony sensor. I think it strikes the right balance of pixel count/binning vs sensor size. There are rumors that the S21 is going to have a 180mp sensor and I think that's moving way too far in the wrong direction. I would be really interested to see what Googles approach would be for the output of this sensor.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 15, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So which phone would have the best camera for getting a good photo of stars at night? Assuming a clear sky and little or no light pollution.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TITANKISSER69 posted:

So which phone would have the best camera for getting a good photo of stars at night? Assuming a clear sky and little or no light pollution.

The Pixel 4's astro mode.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

TITANKISSER69 posted:

Huawei p40 pro, it’s RYYB sensor pulls in a ridiculous amount of light.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thank you both, I'm on Google Fi and I wish the P4 wasn't $800. Here's a photo I took last summer, rural countryside so very little light and a nearly clear sky. I could see all sorts of stars. Here's what my trusty Moto x4 captured (can't remember if I used Snapchat to take the photo):

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Goddammit I'm always late for hand chat. Here's me holding my S20 Ultra in an Otterbox case.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey i did a starry picture too:

Shot on my Pixel 3 XL

Shai-Hulud fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 15, 2020

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

CoolRanch posted:

Mine did the same thing when I dropped it. The glass wasn't damaged, but the screen was.

Ah nuts. I was afraid of that. I must have never noticed it after the last drop that happened last year since I use dark mode everything. Has yours "spread" or impacted usage at all?

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

Soul Glo posted:

Ah nuts. I was afraid of that. I must have never noticed it after the last drop that happened last year since I use dark mode everything. Has yours "spread" or impacted usage at all?

I didn't notice the splotch get bigger, I put in a claim that the back had a weird spot you could click down like a snapple bottle to avoid having to pay 100.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What's a good midrange phone available on Verizon in the states and which isn't gigantic? I'm moving on from an LG V30 which I like fine, although its GPS is very wonky and the battery does not last as long as I'd like.

I would prefer something small that could be operated in one hand as I don't watch video much on it and am usually just browsing the web, listening to music or playing a game on it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TTBF posted:

What's a good midrange phone available on Verizon in the states and which isn't gigantic? I'm moving on from an LG V30 which I like fine, although its GPS is very wonky and the battery does not last as long as I'd like.

I would prefer something small that could be operated in one hand as I don't watch video much on it and am usually just browsing the web, listening to music or playing a game on it.

The Pixel 4a might be perfect for that. It's rumored to be released in a week or two.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think latest rumors push it back to Juneish. So maybe 3 weeks or so away. Still soon though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah latest rumors on the Pixel 4a are around June since Google's also (officially) delayed the public beta for Android 11 until June 3rd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqJEcy57hA8

They'll probably launch Pixel 4a on the same day.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Considering buying the OP7T to replace my Nexus 6P and it's worsening battery with my Coronabucks. Fingerprint sensor and NFC are must haves for me (my Keepass archive is Yubikey composite locked), so it's kind of my only option on a budget.

Do they still make that weirdass Bluetooth-to-cassette thing? My car radio is only has a tape deck, no Bluetooth or USB.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Never realised how much I relied on the notification LED and how much I'd miss it until I got this OP7T. Too bad they couldn't come up with an alternative like putting it around the charging port or near the speaker holes.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Never realised how much I relied on the notification LED and how much I'd miss it until I got this OP7T. Too bad they couldn't come up with an alternative like putting it around the charging port or near the speaker holes.

Hey they're really close to coming up with the solution everyone else did three years ago and let the screen just stay on.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

The alternative on most new phones is an always on display.

Efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm still not in the always on display camp. I keep worrying about burn in as well as battery life.