Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

cage-free egghead posted:

Legit question, what's the best way to sanitize your phone? Preferably a way that isn't alcohol based so the oleophobic coat doesn't come off.

Are UV sanitizers legit?
Joanna Stern did a thing at WSJ that an iPhone 8’s coating didn’t come off after a shitton of disinfecting wipes: https://www.wsj.com/articles/yes-you-can-clean-your-iphone-with-disinfecting-wipes-11583771102 (googled “Joanna Stern disinfect phone” and took the link which didn’t hit a paywall).

quote:

Using a brand-new iPhone 8, I wiped the screen 1,095 times with Clorox disinfecting wipes. Why so many? I figured that’s the equivalent of wiping down your phone every day for the three years you might own it. Even after all that wiping, the coating was still in good condition.
YMMV and all but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

fourwood posted:

Joanna Stern did a thing at WSJ that an iPhone 8’s coating didn’t come off after a shitton of disinfecting wipes: https://www.wsj.com/articles/yes-you-can-clean-your-iphone-with-disinfecting-wipes-11583771102 (googled “Joanna Stern disinfect phone” and took the link which didn’t hit a paywall).

YMMV and all but :shrug:

I wonder if iPhones have a different coating or something. There's a pic of a Pixel 4 XL that some fanblog did that claimed the coating on the screen came off but it was really clearly wiped off with an alcohol wipe.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think it's important to note that Clorox Wipes don't contain a high percentage (or possibly any) alcohol.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

ThermoPhysical posted:

I wonder if iPhones have a different coating or something. There's a pic of a Pixel 4 XL that some fanblog did that claimed the coating on the screen came off but it was really clearly wiped off with an alcohol wipe.
welp

I’d heard of people bitching about the Pixel coatings in general, so yeah, maybe higher-quality ones are fine and maybe Google uses... not-those.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My experience with those coatings is that it's a complete crapshoot on how they degrade. I've never had an issue with my pixel phones, but my OnePlus 7 Pro had issues in about a month and there's actually a perfectly circular mark you can expose with water on the display that looks suspiciously like a suction cup that may have been used to move the glass off the assembly line. So I've always wondered if Corning had a bad batch where they didn't let the coating cure enough or something.

But again, that test was not using a high alcohol content wipe. It was using a disinfecting wipe that uses other chemicals.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cage-free egghead posted:

Legit question, what's the best way to sanitize your phone? Preferably a way that isn't alcohol based so the oleophobic coat doesn't come off.

Are UV sanitizers legit?

Most of the phone disinfecting boxes that are sold have UV LEDs that are UV-A (like a blacklight) and don't kill bacteria. UV-C is only sort of inexpensive in fluorescent tubes (which generate ozone) or in some UV-C LEDs that are very expensive and you're not going to find it in a mass produced product that's not like $10-15 per LED. Bigclive has been reviewing some of the fake UV-C lights from ebay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqiVhtsMGWo

If you can find one with tubes in it then it'd probably work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Another thing to note is that your phone isn't going to be a great vector to get you infected with coronavirus. For one, if your phone has coronavirus on it, it likely got there from your own hands. Another thing is the wipes probably aren't as effective as you might think beyond the actual mechanical action of cleaning.

Look at the instructions on the wipe around disinfecting. Surface must remain wet for 4 minutes to disinfect.

Then take a look at that olephobic coating and realize that it's going to work hard to precisely prevent that from happening. A 5 second wipe down of the screen your phone (with the disinfectant instantly beading) isn't going to leave disinfectant in contact with the screen long enough to actually disinfect. All you are basically doing is mechanically removing the virus from the screen and into the cloth where it will eventually get destroyed over a few minutes due to it being saturated with disinfectant.

Get a spray bottle of water and a few drop of dawn, use a soft disposable cloth, and wipe your screen down with that. The mechanical action of cleaning the slick olephobic surface would likely be enough to remove most of any viral particle load on the screen along with the dawn removing any contaminants that could hold particles to the screen. Throw the cloth away and then wash your hands before you touch the screen again.

For the rest of the phone, you could use a case and wash it down with soap and water like you would your hands.

The reason why disinfectants are emphasized over mechanical action for most surfaces is due to cross contamination. If you are cleaning countertops with just soap and water, it's hard to ensure that you are reducing virus levels enough because your cleaning medium may end up just spreading it around. For a small surface like your phone though, you can be pretty sure that the simple act of wiping it with any sort of solvent (even water) would remove a lot of contamination so long as you use a disposable cloth.

This is why soap and water is good enough for just washing your hands as long as you do it long and thoroughly enough. The soap breaks down the lipid layer of the virus and the mechanical action of you rubbing your hands and rinsing just physically removes it. No need to douse everything with disinfectants if you can clean it normally with little risk of cross contamination.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

What are the chances someone will make metal phones like Oneplus 3 again? I have been looking for upgrades, but they're all made completely from glass :negative:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Basically zero since wireless charging has finally become a flagship required feature.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Basically zero since wireless charging has finally become a flagship required feature.

So... that works through plastic as well. Maybe we'll get some sweet plastic phones in the future then :v:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

RE: Nexus chat:

The Galaxy Nexus was my biggest phone purchase regret. poo poo battery, poo poo screen.

The Nexus 5 has been used by myself, then my sister, then my mother, with only a battery replacement required. The most comfortable phone I've used.

My 6p is still working perfectly after I had the battery replaced at the authorized service center last year. If it wasn't for the 3GB RAM, I'd probably be happily using it to this day. Still my favorite phone to date.

The Nokia 7+ I got in 2018 was ok, but was definitely a step down from the 6P. Biggest disappointment was that Nokia refused to allow its bootloader to be unlocked.

My current OP7T is pretty great, but as posted before, I do miss notification LEDs and hope the Always On display is in the next update.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got a OnePlus 6T on their OxygenOS version 10.3.3 and I use whatsapp, but mainly through the desktop client. The desktop client relies entirely on the phone, and it keeps saying that the phone is not connected. Does anyone know of a way to get it to stay connected? If I even just tap on the phone to show notifications it usually connects back up, but then within a few seconds it shows as disconnected again.

I have tried setting battery optimisation to 'don't optimise' but I've not seen anything more that suggests it would help. Google threw up a page from XDA developers but that was for a Huawei handset which referenced a load of different utilities which seemed to be specific to that model.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Google suspended Podcast Addict from the play store because podcasts are discussing COVID-19 or something: https://9to5google.com/2020/05/18/podcast-addict-banned/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

More evidence that the 3a may be $349 and some indications that the Pixel 5 may be $699.

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/05/18/google-survey-hints-at-349-pixel-4a-699-pixel-5-prices/

quote:

The survey, which you can see below, asks the participant if they had two options of Google Pixel smartphones, which would they prefer to buy? The first option is for a $349 “Google Pixel Phone” that is “radically helpful,” has a plastic body, and 3.5mm headphone jack. The second option is for a “Premium Google Pixel Phone” with “first access to the latest Google features and innovation,” a best in class camera, water resistance, and more for $699.

So, I have a feeling 4a and Pixel 5 are going to set the tone for what Pixel is in the future. It may move permanently downmarket to the a series or it may try to straddle the gap of the upper midrange.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

bull3964 posted:

More evidence that the 3a may be $349 and some indications that the Pixel 5 may be $699.

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/05/18/google-survey-hints-at-349-pixel-4a-699-pixel-5-prices/

So, I have a feeling 4a and Pixel 5 are going to set the tone for what Pixel is in the future. It may move permanently downmarket to the a series or it may try to straddle the gap of the upper midrange.

So OnePlus goes flagship and Google goes flagship-killer? I'm actually ok with this

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

I wouldn't be that surprised if they keep both but do something about the release order

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This discussion seems to be forgetting the whole point of making the Pixel which is to prevent OEMs from making multiple terrible implementations of features. If Google doesn't make a phone with a fingerprint sensor you have things like HTC just taking a picture of it and storing it in general storage. Even if they implement things well, it's still five or so different implementations of whatever it is. The reason for the Pixel is so Google as steward of the platform can say "This is the way Android will handle [x]." To that end they have to implement cutting edge features like their FaceID clone because otherwise you'll get some OEMs just unlocking with a picture.

The "a" lineup is fine and good but it doesn't help keep the ecosystem functioning.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm not really sure if that's true honestly. Google has that control through their APIs and nothing stops them from mocking up devkits to fine tune the interaction between the API and various hardware while not having hardware to sell. Also, Google expressly DOESN'T CARE what your biometric implementation is, so long as it meets these requirements.

https://source.android.com/security/biometric/measure#strong-weak-unlocks

So, if LG managed to do a figerprint unlock by just taking a picture that met those requirements, then yes, it would be allowed for the biometric API. We saw something similar recently where the Galaxy S9 models all gained biometric api support with the iris scanner.

It's going to be similar with other hardware features. There's going to be a requirements list for your hardware to qualify for access with the API and Google can easily enforce that without making a single consumer device.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's going to be similar with other hardware features. There's going to be a requirements list for your hardware to qualify for access with the API and Google can easily enforce that without making a single consumer device.

In theory, sure. In practice, they don't.

Remember that they didn't specify notch/cutout behavior until after the Pixel 3XL. I mean yes, we're a long way away from Google making a device just to get chipsets into AOSP and I don't think we'll see any dual screen devices from Google anytime, but they obviously like to have a device where they can do direct testing for developing their edict for how whatever it is has to behave.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Pixel 4a will possibly lose Active Edge (squeeze for Google Assistant).

https://twitter.com/hallstephenj/status/1262451111530618881

There's talk that this might be the reason why Android 11 has the tap-the-back feature.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pixel 4a will possibly lose Active Edge (squeeze for Google Assistant).

https://twitter.com/hallstephenj/status/1262451111530618881

There's talk that this might be the reason why Android 11 has the tap-the-back feature.

Not really gonna miss it. All it did was randomly activate when i picked up the phone by its sides.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I honestly don't know how to get to the Assistant without it.

I don't use Assistant, but still...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't think I've ever used squeeze activation on purpose. I'm not sure I can use it with the case I have. You should just be able to hold the home button to activate Assistant, though.

(If you're using the Devil's Own Gesture System instead then, I dunno, ask Satan, he's the one who designed it.)

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

docbeard posted:

I don't think I've ever used squeeze activation on purpose. I'm not sure I can use it with the case I have. You should just be able to hold the home button to activate Assistant, though.

(If you're using the Devil's Own Gesture System instead then, I dunno, ask Satan, he's the one who designed it.)

In that case, pull up from the bottom corners

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Gesture activate is pull up from either bottom corner.
You know the squeeze activation has sensitivity settings, right?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

docbeard posted:

Even if you have the gesture system enabled you'll still get hints that tell you to hold the home button for assistant. Squeeze is about the only way I activate it on my phone. After adjusting the sensitivity I haven't activated it by accident.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, the internet hyperbole machine is getting OnePlus to disable the 4th camera even though it couldn't actually do the things that people were worried about.

Edit: Looks like they're only going to disable it in China.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 19, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

So... that works through plastic as well. Maybe we'll get some sweet plastic phones in the future then :v:

God I hope so

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
It seems as though my Galaxy Watch Active 2 is interfering with Assistant hearing me through my Pixel 3's microphones, probably because it is allowed to take phone calls/acts like a headset.

Whenever I activate assistant with the physical activation methods (squeeze or swipe up in the corner), voice input doesn't work. If I say OK Google (either to activate it in the first place, or after it fails to hear me and shows suggestions), it does. I can still type in queries either way.

Firstly, the watch doesn't take voice input in this situation either, and secondly, I take the watch off at home and wouldn't have it nearby to hear me most of the time even if it did work.

What's my best solution here? Just disconnect the watch when I take it off? Is there a way to set the phone's mics as priority without disabling the phone call ability of the watch?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Even if you have the gesture system enabled you'll still get hints that tell you to hold the home button for assistant. Squeeze is about the only way I activate it on my phone. After adjusting the sensitivity I haven't activated it by accident.

I've got it on its most sensitive, don't use a case, and I can barely activate the squeeze intentionally. I can't imagine someone accidentally activating it, but I guess anyone handling their device roughly enough to do so would also be in need of a case which I also couldn't imagine needing so I must not be treating my phone the way others do.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I accidentally activated several times on my Pixel 3 when I first got it, and then promptly turned it off. Good riddance. Corner gesture, search bar button, and voice activation are plenty.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Active edge is hard to use when I have a case on my pixel, if I don't have a case I keep always accidentally triggering it regardless of setting, it is mostly useless.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Celexi posted:

Active edge is hard to use when I have a case on my pixel, if I don't have a case I keep always accidentally triggering it regardless of setting, it is mostly useless.

What kind of case do you have?? I use it regularly with no issues and I've never not had my phone in a case.

binaryhermit
Mar 29, 2015
I was gonna say, I have my 3a in a case, and I still trigger Active Edge accidentally all the time, and I have it at its lowest sensitivity,

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Active Edge works well on my 3a in a case....once I figured you have to squeeze up closer to the volume buttons.

I think we can conclude from all these anecdotes that Active Edge either works well or doesn't work well for specific people and on average it either works well or doesn't work well.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
I'm looking for a recommendation for an MP3/audio player app that isn't Google Music that can play a specified folder of music or is able to create a playlist from said folder without having to add each song individually. Thanks !

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Blackplayer EX can do that. Not through the playlist tab, but go into folders and you can play a specific one or make a playlist out of it

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

CLAM DOWN posted:

What kind of case do you have?? I use it regularly with no issues and I've never not had my phone in a case.

I have a spingen with the raised lip.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Celexi posted:

I have a spingen with the raised lip.

I have a Spigen neo hybrid. Active edge works just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Active Edge works well on my 3a in a case....once I figured you have to squeeze up closer to the volume buttons.

I think we can conclude from all these anecdotes that Active Edge either works well or doesn't work well for specific people and on average it either works well or doesn't work well.

My squeezing is like...near the bottom of the phone on my P4XL. It's weird, really.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/google-pixel-4a-announcement-release-date-delay-colors_id124785

Also the new rumor on the P4a is an announcement date of July 13th and release after that.

The rumored price hasn't changed with $349 being the price of the 128gb and $299 being the 64gb price.

Also the same YouTuber who showed off the camera was on a live stream tonight. He had his prototype P4a in hand and confirmed no Active Edge (squeeze for assistant) and mentioned the double tap on the back feature that is officially in the newest Android 11 developer preview as probably being the replacement.

The double tap feature doesn't need special hardware to work.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 21, 2020