Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

blunt posted:

Well there goes my upgrade plan.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/04/09/it-looks-like-the-pixel-5a-will-never-come-to-be/

quote:

Pixel 5a 5G is not cancelled. It will be available later this year in the U.S. and Japan and announced in line with when last year’s a-series phone was introduced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sucks, but at the same time there's no way it was really going to be a significant improvement over the 4a 5g so not a LOT is lost.

Ultimately, I think the 'a' line is going to fade away. If Google is moving to whitechapel for the Pixel 6, they'll be able to lower component costs. The Pixel 5 also had them experimenting with premium, non-glass construction which they now have further license to go after since Samsung and others have gone plastic on their entry level flagships.

Also, the extensive T-Mobile partnership has probably de-emphasized the need for mmwave to satisfy Verizon, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see that on the chopping block.

So, what we get for the Pixel 6 may be a Pixel 5 body with a Samsung/Google collab SoC without mmwave at a pricepoint closer to $500-$550 to try to straddle the upper mid and lower flagship markets. It will be close enough to the 4a5g price to eliminate that model and I think google will abandon the sub $400 space as they really aren't going to be able to compete with the likes of the new A series line of phones from Samsung that now have longer update support. Additionally, the Google partnership with T-Mobile will have carrier incentives to bring the price down lower so as not completely alienate those who would have gone for the cheaper Pixel 'a' model.

Yes, I know the 3a and the 4a have been some of the best selling models that google has had, but all of that is for nothing if someone can grab a $280 A32 5G (which T-mobile is going to be giving away for FREE all year as long as you have a non broken phone to trade in).

Edit:

Ok, so maybe it isn't cancelled, but I still think what I've written is mostly true long term.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

quote:

Pixel 5a 5G is not cancelled.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Prosser is very bad at leaks. Who's surprised?

He was wrong on the Pixel 5's look, has zero evidence on the Pixel Watch, and now wrong about this. :v:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
*Ignore me, was replying to outdated info.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

A "limited US release" is the entire market of the Pixel line anyway.
It just means they're not going to bother shipping them to other regions to be outsold 50:1 by midrange Samsungs and go on sale in their second week.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Khablam posted:

A "limited US release" is the entire market of the Pixel line anyway.
It just means they're not going to bother shipping them to other regions to be outsold 50:1 by midrange Samsungs and go on sale in their second week.

Is Google still googlin' phone launches? If so, this next one could be a perform storm with the chip shortages.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/...youre-affected/

quote:

Some Pixel owners have noticed over the last couple of monthly updates that their phones have lost Widevine L1 status, falling to L3 and rendering them incapable of playing back some DRM-protected content at high quality. More simply, that means they can't play HD content in apps and services like Netflix. By far the majority of devices are not affected and the cause isn't immediately clear. Google tells us it's aware of these reports and working on a fix, and devices from other manufactures may also be affected.

This is a particularly curious issue for one very significant reason: Sometimes, when phones lose Widevine L1 status, it's not a simple fix. When OnePlus offered to add Widevine L1 certification to the OnePlus 5 and 5T, that required sending phones back in to have them flashed securely with the feature, and when the ROG Phone 3 lost its L1 status, the company also initially asked customers to send units in to fix it — though it was later able to push a software update that addressed the issue.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Well that's embarrassing for Google. Can't make fun of other phone companies for that one anymore.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
so now with hangout calls deprecated is there a first party way to send and receive telephone calls on my computer? noticed today that hangouts wasnt ringing and then kableeeeep brain remembered that its dead RIP

i ported this number... FROM VOICE... to Fi. lol

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Anyone used MIUI 12? Considering a Redmi Note 10 Pro or the Mi 11 Lite to replace my 3 year old Mi A1. One concern is going from stock Android (although still on Android 9) to MIUI instead. The alternative is waiting for that Pixel 5A but being in the UK that might be a challenge.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

BurritoJustice posted:

Hello fellow Aussie s21u owner, lovely pic

Have you had any issues with heat/perf with the Exynos s21u? I've had mine overheat twice now and it's getting annoying

No, no overheating at all, although my employer sells this phone and we do get complaints. Is it actually shutting down? 99% of overheating complaints from my work are from people who think a phone should never get warm while charging etc. Super annoying.

fourwood posted:

Sydney?

Also wtf Samsung, at least try to make it look like it’s night mode or whatever.

Yeah, the gap. I'm a tourist from Melbourne.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

No, no overheating at all, although my employer sells this phone and we do get complaints. Is it actually shutting down? 99% of overheating complaints from my work are from people who think a phone should never get warm while charging etc. Super annoying.

Three times now it has reached the point where I've got the error toast about overheating and needing to disable multi-window/PIP. It also led to throttling and lag. Happens when I've got the YouTube pop out player and something intensive in the foreground, though it did get very hot while I was on a photo binge along the south coast on a hot day.

It's also got hot enough to be uncomfortable to hold, I'm using the S-Pen silicone case which seems to exacerbate the issue.

I never had any issues with my Note20 Ultra which had the way hotter Exynos 990

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Does anybody know if there's a way to check duration of missed calls without installing an app? I've been targeted by Wangiri scammers recently but I'm also waiting on a couple of big calls from folks whose numbers I don't have access to – if there were a way to check how long an unknown number had called for it would be an absolute lifesaver, but all I can find are incredibly dodgy-looking apps that don't seem super secure and seem like they could just make things worse.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Does anybody know if there's a way to check duration of missed calls without installing an app? I've been targeted by Wangiri scammers recently but I'm also waiting on a couple of big calls from folks whose numbers I don't have access to – if there were a way to check how long an unknown number had called for it would be an absolute lifesaver, but all I can find are incredibly dodgy-looking apps that don't seem super secure and seem like they could just make things worse.

I don't know what phone you have but my Pixel has an option to let Google Assistant answer the call and determine what the caller wants. Scammers just hang up but people with legitimate business leave a message.

In the stock phone app any call in the log can be tapped on and if you hit the History button it will show you the duration of every call to and from that number.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I've kept my previous phone (a Nokia 7 plus) charged and updated, just in case; it works fine and still gets security updates. I think it's time to retire it to a recycler, though; the screen has suddenly developed a suspicious bulge.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Computer viking posted:

I've kept my previous phone (a Nokia 7 plus) charged and updated, just in case; it works fine and still gets security updates. I think it's time to retire it to a recycler, though; the screen has suddenly developed a suspicious bulge.

yeah if you notice a bulge

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is that a bulge in your screen or are you just happy to see me?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

FAUXTON posted:

I don't usually mind, but there is a time and place for everything.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

always

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Computer viking posted:

Same issue happened with mine too.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Computer viking posted:

I'd totally trade that in.

"There's no screen cracks and it still turns on!"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone using their old phones for anything interesting?

Today, I dusted off the P3XL after 8 months of retirement. Currently getting all the security updates and patches installed, and trying to think of anything useful to do with it other than let it gather more dust.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hughmoris posted:

Anyone using their old phones for anything interesting?

Today, I dusted off the P3XL after 8 months of retirement. Currently getting all the security updates and patches installed, and trying to think of anything useful to do with it other than let it gather more dust.

I've had some brief entertaining times using my old Pixel XL for shooting timelapses. Put it in a stand, point it at my lava lamp and see how it warms up. Record how a plant perks up after being watered. That sort of thing.

There's probably a better app for doing that than Framelapse, but that's the app I found when I was using my Nexus 5 for the same purpose, so I haven't gone looking for another.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

maltesh posted:

I've had some brief entertaining times using my old Pixel XL for shooting timelapses. Put it in a stand, point it at my lava lamp and see how it warms up. Record how a plant perks up after being watered. That sort of thing.

There's probably a better app for doing that than Framelapse, but that's the app I found when I was using my Nexus 5 for the same purpose, so I haven't gone looking for another.

You can do timelapses natively in Google Camera now

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

The native Timelapse maxes out at 20 minutes of recording, though.

Edit: Hm. Looks like I've gotten at least 24 minutes of recording on it so far, so I guess either the article is wrong or the features have updated since. Will have to look into this further.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 11, 2021

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I think there are ways to use a phone as a webcam for your PC - even an old phone is miles ahead of any laptop webcam.

(My theory is that someone made a warehouse full of webcam modules in 2004, and we're still working through that supply).

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I smashed my phone in a terrible accident last week and bought a replacement on Swappa. On receipt, it turns out the seller neglected to clear the screen lock before sending it to me, so the Factory Reset Protection (FRP) screen showed up that requested the previous PIN or Google account. I messaged him back to ask for the PIN, and Swappa support got involved.

While waiting for him to respond, though, I ended up finding a YouTube video that went through some kind of magical 30+ step process of menus, dialogs, and keyboard language configuration that would bypass FRP. And it worked.

The seller responded later that afternoon, very apologetic, and with a PIN, but I can't help but feel weirded out by how easy it was to bypass the FRP lock on a current-gen Google-branded flagship phone, and wondering why that isn't a bigger deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I believe I promised some UW examples. Pointed 3 phones out my open dining room window, various phone night modes engaged. I used a tripod and tried to frame them about the same as I could. Overcast night so no stars, no moon, very dark. Can't see as much with the eye as you can in the photos. Linked so I don't have to resize.

S21 Ultra.
https://i.imgur.com/LTDTiuB.jpg

Tons of artifacts and there isn't much for detail. It did at least do an ok job in not crushing the shadow detail too bad.

iPhone 12 Pro Max
https://i.imgur.com/v8pJX7k.jpg

A bit cleaner than the S21 Ultra at the expense of dynamic range and detail. It's really more of a mosaic. The treeline is more motted. None of the brick detail is there. There are fewer offputting artifacts in the clouds though.

Oneplus 9 Pro
https://i.imgur.com/fpy6B57.jpg

Whelp, sensor size just rules all here. There's really no comparison at all to the other two. It's still noisy because it's really dark, but there's detail here that's completely unresolvable on the other two. Individual bricks can be discerned instead of the "texture" that the S21 has or the crushed shadow of the iPhone 12 Pro Max. The treeline is far more defined.

It's still kinda annoying that there's not just one clear phone camera system winner.

Video, iPhone 12 Pro Max all the way. Need versatile zoom? S21 Ultra. Want your UW to nearly match the quality of the main when shooting is getting challenging? OP9P.

The main cameras on all three phones pretty much all have winners depending on shooting situation. I still think the iPhone 12 Pro Max is pretty disappointing based on the hype around sensor shift and I don't like the way it crushes shadow detail in now light conditions. The S21 Ultra is really solid for the most part, but I have noticed some weird flaring in some lighting conditions and I think it tries to rescue the shadows a little too hard sometimes. The 10x zoom is great though. The OP9P camera has just a flat out amazing Ultrawide. The zoom is pretty much perfunctory on it though. It works, it gives some reach to the device, and the pictures that come out of it are generally decent. There's just nothing terribly great about them either. The shooting experience could be a bit snappier with the OP9P too and the FFC is barely serviceable if you are into that sort of thing.

My dream Pixel camera system is the UW and W sensors from the OP9P with a 10x periscope lens for a zoom. I do think the large sensor UW is the next big thing though. Not only does it greatly enhance low light shooting, it really gives the macro mode a boost.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 12, 2021

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I smashed my phone in a terrible accident last week and bought a replacement on Swappa. On receipt, it turns out the seller neglected to clear the screen lock before sending it to me, so the Factory Reset Protection (FRP) screen showed up that requested the previous PIN or Google account. I messaged him back to ask for the PIN, and Swappa support got involved.

While waiting for him to respond, though, I ended up finding a YouTube video that went through some kind of magical 30+ step process of menus, dialogs, and keyboard language configuration that would bypass FRP. And it worked.

The seller responded later that afternoon, very apologetic, and with a PIN, but I can't help but feel weirded out by how easy it was to bypass the FRP lock on a current-gen Google-branded flagship phone, and wondering why that isn't a bigger deal.
Apple's lock is also trivially bypassed and when they were jailbroken semi-recently this also allowed you to extract all the data off them.
There's no such thing as perfect security if you have physical access.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

We had a bunch at work from people who were laid off and phones still were locked. I was able to bypass a few of them with some similar sketchy combo and software, though oddly enough it didn't work on the older phone of the bunch. I'm pretty sure that poo poo fucks up things for people more than it deters thieves

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it just me, or is it impossible to dismiss a notification from the lock screen while the phone is charging and immobile (e.g. on a charging stand or puck)? I have a Pixel 5 FWIW.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Is it just me, or is it impossible to dismiss a notification from the lock screen while the phone is charging and immobile (e.g. on a charging stand or puck)? I have a Pixel 5 FWIW.

If it's locked it won't let you dismiss a notification I think.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FAUXTON posted:

If it's locked it won't let you dismiss a notification I think.

I can pick it up and dismiss the notification though, without unlocking.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

I can pick it up and dismiss the notification though, without unlocking.

if you lock the phone in your hand (assuming the default launcher, you'd want to long-press the lock icon near the top middle of the lockscreen and it'll say manually locked), are you still able to dismiss the notification? It might be locked on the stand but unlocked once picked up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FAUXTON posted:

if you lock the phone in your hand (assuming the default launcher, you'd want to long-press the lock icon near the top middle of the lockscreen and it'll say manually locked), are you still able to dismiss the notification? It might be locked on the stand but unlocked once picked up.

Hmm, possible. I'll try to remember next time I get a notification.

Edit: actually, it seems that long-pressing that unlocked icon just dismisses the lock screen, at least when there aren't any notifications.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just tested it with a new notification, and with my phone on the desk, I could swipe the notification away.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

codo27 posted:

We had a bunch at work from people who were laid off and phones still were locked. I was able to bypass a few of them with some similar sketchy combo and software, though oddly enough it didn't work on the older phone of the bunch. I'm pretty sure that poo poo fucks up things for people more than it deters thieves

Security theater at its best!

I have to say that after replacing aforementioned shattered P4 with aforementioned P5, I cannot believe how bad the P4's battery life was. Massive quality-of-life improvement, no matter how much I miss the zoom lens.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

"The Google Pixel 6 may feature a Samsung ISOCELL camera instead of the ageing Sony IMX363 - NotebookCheck.net News"
https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Google-Pixel-6-may-feature-a-Samsung-ISOCELL-camera-instead-of-the-ageing-Sony-IMX363.532067.0.html

I don't know how well those are but it would be a huge step up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As mentioned in the article, that's 35 different sensors so without knowing the model, it's hard to say (assuming it's a model that's even out yet)

It would be nice if it was the GN2 on the Mi 11 Ultra, but a pixel binning sensor would be a big departure for them.

I doubt Samsung is allowing anyone to use the HN3 in the S21 Ultra.

Playing it safe would be the 2LD, the largest 12mp sensor they have, but again I don't know that Samsung will sell that sensor to a 3rd party since it's the one behind the rest of the S2x phones.

What this is telling us though, if true, is that whitechapel is reaffirmed and Samsung must be helping them have tight integration between the SoC and camera system. It also likely indicates that the SoC is a mostly Samsung designed chip.