Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Pixel 4a has no advertised water resistance at all, so don't expect it to survive anything.
There's other phones that pinky-swear they're water resistant, but don't want to pay the fee.
Most phones have a verified rating.

I wouldn't recommend getting a flagship phone from a greymarket source either, (based just on the value of the warranty you're missing) so maybe pick between the ones officially available.
The S21 has the best general use camera of the phones you've mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Khablam posted:

There's other phones that pinky-swear they're water resistant, but don't want to pay the fee.

This gets weird in the case of Oneplus phones where the unlocked variants usually aren't IP certified, but many of the carrier variants are

It's exactly the same hardware as far as I know

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

repiv posted:

This gets weird in the case of Oneplus phones where the unlocked variants usually aren't IP certified, but many of the carrier variants are

It's exactly the same hardware as far as I know
AFAIK the fee is per SKU, and it'll be a different SKU for the carrier models. They're using carrier incentive payments to cover the certification, at a guess.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Until they start warranting against water damage, it's pretty silly to rely on it, anyway. And even if they did, they'd find ways around it with shock sensors or something that gives them an out in the same way water damage was for other failures in the past.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
It's OnePlus. I'm sure they do that so they don't have to replace them if they get water damage. I suspect the carriers say water resistance is the cost of doing business with a 700 phone, so they list it to get the check mark. Otherwise they're losing to the Samsung right next to it in the store.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No company that claims an IP rating will replace a phone for water damage.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
The camera on my Pixel 3a XL won't focus all of a sudden. Read that I should try to tap the lens or shake it. When I shake it I hear a little rattle noise. Am I screwed?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hearing rattle noises on phones with OIS is normal, so that's not indicative of anything.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

bull3964 posted:

Hearing rattle noises on phones with OIS is normal, so that's not indicative of anything.

It only rattles when the camera is open too. I guess it turns that on but it's not working right?

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I suspect I already know the answer to this (and it's no), but I thought I'd ask:

I just bought a blu-ray player that says it can screen mirror using "Miracast", which is, after reading up on it, a fairly common protocol for mirroring.

Of course, my pixel 5 doesn't offer miracast as an option and only uses chromecast or other google home devices.

Is there *any* way to screen mirror to this blu-ray player using Miracast? There's a pile of apps that claim they can mirror with polarizing reviews and reddit says it's impossible without rooting your phone.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You can't actually do screencasting on a phone that doesn't support it, but there are some apps that will take video files and broadcast it (DLNA).

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This is something that should be much easier, more universal and better quality since like 2015 at least.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

codo27 posted:

This is something that should be much easier, more universal and better quality since like 2015 at least.

It's been solved by any device under the sun being able to cast to a $30 chromecast since 2013.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 minutes!

blunt posted:

It's been solved by any device under the sun being able to cast to a $30 chromecast since 2013.

Plus any modern TV has a Chromecast built in

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
The discover feed being broken is killing me

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

How is it broken? It seems to be working normally for me.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Something has changed as my pihole isn't blocking the ads in it any more :argh:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Yea the Google app itself is borked (i think only for the Beta users but i could be wrong and wouldn't be surprised.)

Just uninstall updates for the Google app and it should work fine for a bit at least.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea the Google app itself is borked (i think only for the Beta users but i could be wrong and wouldn't be surprised.)

Just uninstall updates for the Google app and it should work fine for a bit at least.

Yeah the only article I could find said the same. I left the beta but wasn't pushed a normal version (I did leave feedback of course). I didn't clear cache or data because I can't imagine it will be long until it's fixed.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

About ready to concede on the battery replacement issue (but not on a 3.5mm jack; "how often do you listen to wired headphones while your phone charges" is currently "daily, for multiple hours, and every piece of bluetooth hardware brought into this building suffers from the sheer amount of wireless poo poo interfering). What am I looking for instead for longest possible battery life on a phone that will be supported for a while yet to come, and isn't weak as hell with a terrible camera? Seeing a lot of S21+, Pixel 4A (not so trusting of battery life here) or 5, and some LG options but with where their mobile division seems to be going "support" may not be a thing. None are exactly jumping out as "this is it", but my Honor 7X battery is continuing to be shredded, and the antenna was never good for suburban-rural US anyway. (Switching carriers when I get the new phone so not married to one right now.)

Have I missed any golden options? I don't play mobile games or anything, just need something that can keep up with browser/SA/Discord (the latter being what's still shredding my battery life just by running, even in the background) and take solid pictures for the animal shelter, while not dropping out or nearly dropping out out in the country all the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have discord running in the background of all my phones and I've never even seen it register on battery life.

I don't know that anyone is going to be able to give you tips about general battery life because your drain send so extreme and bizarre.

But your said you need a headphone jack so most of what you mentioned was not an option (S21+, Pixel 5.)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

I have discord running in the background of all my phones and I've never even seen it register on battery life.

I don't know that anyone is going to be able to give you tips about general battery life because your drain send so extreme and bizarre.

But your said you need a headphone jack so most of what you mentioned was not an option (S21+, Pixel 5.)

Discord can drain pretty heavily if you don't tell it to calm the gently caress down while in the background. Iirc it updates constantly in the background by default (though it can be turned off so it only stays live while in use) and I'd imagine that could eat your battery if you stay in really active servers/channels where people post lots of pictures.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, the headphone jack is gonna be the complicating factor. It's another "not really married to the idea but would make my life far easier", not least because I've had this Honor 7X long enough that the micro-USB port is breaking down despite cleaning regularly. Not super enthused about having to use even USB-C ports more than I otherwise would.

And yes, "extreme and bizarre" is an accurate descriptor all right. It's been off the charger since just after 8 AM and was screen-off for most of that till 9 AM.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FAUXTON posted:

Discord can drain pretty heavily if you don't tell it to calm the gently caress down while in the background. Iirc it updates constantly in the background by default (though it can be turned off so it only stays live while in use) and I'd imagine that could eat your battery if you stay in really active servers/channels where people post lots of pictures.

I've never done anything to the setup of discord other than install and log in. I do admit though what I'm connected to isn't very active.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I had three phones that would repeatedly struggle with bluetooth in a problem area. I then got an S8 with bluetooth 5, later replaced by a Note 10+ with bluetooth 5, and I've never had any issues since, with the range on both easily covering my work's office space and 1 and a half floors of my house at a time.
My girlfriend moved from a pixel to a note and experienced the same increase in connectivity.
I can't say whether all BT 5 chips are all just better, the ones Samsung use are better, or their antennas are better, but I can't imagine an S21 will struggle at all when used to replace a wire.
I've not seen this somewhat important metric reliably tested anywhere so please accept this as the anecdote it is.

All-day battery whilst playing podcasts/music is also something you won't struggle to do on any newer phone. You'll be moving from an aged 3300mAh battery to a new 4000-5000mAh* so if you want to instead grab yourself a USB->3.5 adapter to keep using wired 'phones I can't imagine much of a problem.
A combination of wireless and fast-charging technology also makes me doubt you'll have battery issues. You should very literally gain 8hrs of music playback from 10mins charging.
The S21 will have the longest support of your available options, since Samsung have reliably been keeping their 4-years promise.

I mean I totally get it, I grumbled no-end that the 3.5mm jack was leaving us and would still prefer the option, but the ship has very much sailed on it and I haven't had an issue. Even with the S8 having a 3.5mm I mostly used BT headphones because it was a faultless experience.
Picking a phone with a 3.5mm at this point is a much bigger compromise than not.

*e: I don't have any issues keeping discord active and battery drain. I would suspect the older and ergo less efficient chipset makes it a larger relative drain; like how my browser will idle at 4% CPU on my desktop but 25% on my aged laptop. Tech moves on.

Khablam fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 10, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

I've never done anything to the setup of discord other than install and log in. I do admit though what I'm connected to isn't very active.

Yeah I think it's mainly the activity that drives usage if you don't make it stop popping up notifications for every mention/message etc. I'm connected to a lot of servers but for the most part the channel I have active is quiet.

It could also be the usual spotty signal issue and discord is constantly trying to maintain connection despite everything else seeming fine. It'll get all weird if the latency is too high and I'm pretty sure anything below LTE will cause it to start thinking it's disconnected. Not sure how that could be identified but I'd start with checking on where you idle for sure.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's crazy to think that my watch has half the processing power of that 7x.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When I got my first S20 I got new Klipsch wireless buds and I was ready to send them back because the connectivity was so bad. Had to send the phone back due to charge port issues and eventually I tried the buds again with the replacement phone and they are so much better.

About time something came along to replace bluetooth but I guess they never will just because of how much crap out there already is compatible with it. Just trying to reconcile in my mind what would be necessary to make a wireless device to device tech be better.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

My Moto G Power (2020) has a great battery and a headphone jack.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Why not go corded earphones and qi charger?

Don't imagine it'll get super hot (unlike when I tried to run my s20 as a dex pc for longer than an hour, that definitely needs a custom dock)

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

bull3964 posted:

It's crazy to think that my watch has half the processing power of that 7x.

I'm not sure if the watch is overbuilt or if software bloat has just gotten that bad that even a smart watch needs it. (Odds are mostly the latter, I'm guessing.)

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah I think it's mainly the activity that drives usage if you don't make it stop popping up notifications for every mention/message etc. I'm connected to a lot of servers but for the most part the channel I have active is quiet.

It could also be the usual spotty signal issue and discord is constantly trying to maintain connection despite everything else seeming fine. It'll get all weird if the latency is too high and I'm pretty sure anything below LTE will cause it to start thinking it's disconnected. Not sure how that could be identified but I'd start with checking on where you idle for sure.

Unfortunately from some testing it doesn't seem as signal dependent as expected. I'm basically right next to the closest access point with a great wifi signal, and running with network enabled vs airplane mode + wifi made 0 difference. Already turned off as much notification as I can but sure doesn't seem to be any way to restrict actual background activity. I'd love if it just pulled the notifications every 5 minutes or something and otherwise shut off when it's not in the foreground. Alas, something like that would make too much sense for Discord's design.

Edit: HUH. Putting it in airplane mode this time around actually made the background battery usage completely disappear for a while. So even though it's running over wifi, it's still trying to connect via cell network, and that's what's causing issues...?

Appreciate the insights. Time to figure out if there's still any decent way around contracts with the worthwhile providers; like I said, changing providers when I change phones, and boy I'm not a fan of getting locked in with these jackasses. Been outside contracts since ~2009 and quite happy with the ability to cut my losses when providers start loving around.
But, that's outside the scope of the hardware, and in the scope that I can figure out on my own. Thanks.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 10, 2021

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

My Moto G Power (2020) has a great battery and a headphone jack.
This is true, but…

SkyeAuroline posted:

… a phone that will be supported for a while yet to come, and isn't weak as hell with a terrible camera? …
… it probably doesn’t really check these boxes, at least.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Desk Lamp posted:

The correct side should really be whichever one you want it to be.

it should be the left and you shouldnt be able to change it unless its thru accessibility options

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

What am I looking for instead for longest possible battery life on a phone that will be supported for a while yet to come, and isn't weak as hell with a terrible camera? Seeing a lot of S21+, Pixel 4A (not so trusting of battery life here) or 5, and some LG options but with where their mobile division seems to be going "support" may not be a thing. None are exactly jumping out as "this is it", but my Honor 7X battery is continuing to be shredded, and the antenna was never good for suburban-rural US anyway. (Switching carriers when I get the new phone so not married to one right now.)
Sony Xperia 5 ii (pronounced five mark two I think) might be the only one with those things, although I don't think they support software as long as Samsung. It doesn't have all the 5g bands for the US, which is why I ruled it out since I wanted to keep my next phone for a while (previously had an Xperia 10), but that probably doesn't matter for suburban-rural anyway

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I can't speak for the 4a but my 3a gets pretty solid battery performance.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Smythe posted:

it should be the left and you shouldnt be able to change it unless its thru accessibility options

It should be right because that side is much easier to hit and I use it more than the app switcher.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Computer viking posted:

It should be right because that side is much easier to hit and I use it more than the app switcher.
This is lefty erasure.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

How? Left side back button is much easier to hit when your phone is in the right hand.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I hit buttons with the thumb on the hand I hold the phone with. I can absolutely hit the left side of the screen, but the part I can get to without having to bend my hand to move the phone closer ends at a curve along cft6 on the keyboard. It's quite possible I'm just weird.

Also, yes, left handed people are another argument for making it adjustable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Computer viking posted:

previous page on a book is to the left in this country, the greatest country in the world, america. duh. very easy. bing bong. what is this, some kinda torah or? jesus christ.... (litrally???) sorry if this is wrong i never went to hebrew school. thank you :tipshat: