Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of the Pixel 6, Prosser claims this is real:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/google-pixel-6-and-pixel-6-pro-design-renders-leak_id132104

Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro.

Another leaker claims Prosser is right on the design, wrong on the colors.

Supposedly, the Pixel 6 Pro has three cameras on back instead of two.

This looks so weird but I would 100% get the pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I still love the Nexus 6P design so i like what that leak looks like so far except the hole punch camera.

ASUS is kinda doing the best of both worlds with the Zenphone 8 Flip to keep from screwing up the screen, but one thing it can't do then is both front and back camera at the same time. I am using that feature more than I expected on the Wing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Google is rolling out yet another Chat function?

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/13/22435232/gmail-integrated-chat-room-im-feature-hangouts-publicly-available

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

No, that's just Google Chat that they've had but you can access it through the Gmail app if you wanted to for some reason.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
What's the state of Pixel 5's these days regarding the screen lift that people were experiencing at release? Did they change anything in production to correct it, or are they still saying that's intentional design?

Did it actually present any problems?

e: referring to this

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 14, 2021

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

What's the state of Pixel 5's these days regarding the screen lift that people were experiencing at release? Did they change anything in production to correct it, or are they still saying that's intentional design?

Did it actually present any problems?

e: referring to this

I have not noticed a thing and it has not affected me in the slightest. I actually had completely forgotten about that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/05/14/sonos-could-get-a-whole-bunch-of-google-products-banned-in-germany-is-the-us-next/

Sonos claimed that Google stole some of their IP when they first teamed up. They managed to convince a German court to put a ban on any devices using the Cast protocol. This currently means Pixel 4a, Nest Audio, and YouTube Music. It doesn't yet include the other Pixel phones or Nest Hub bit probably will because it's a really broad term they're using.

The worry is, since they are doing it in front of the ITC, they could get things banned in the US as well but that's been postponed until August 13, 2021.

Sonos is also suing Google for presumably the same thing in Canada, France, and the Netherlands.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Ugh I personally hate the in screen fingerprint reader. I find it such a literal stretch to swipe down notifications so doing that with the rear fingerprint reader is a godsend.

this. unlock phone, immediately pull down notification shade. it's very convenient.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have not noticed a thing and it has not affected me in the slightest. I actually had completely forgotten about that.

The release day Reddit thread was rotten with people complaining about that issue, but I'm not seeing any recent stuff in my Google searching.

I really enjoy my S21 Ultra, but drat is a motherfucker heavy, it actually is exacerbating some hand pain. I took my Pixel 4a out today instead and it was a whole new world of blessed lightness and one-handed use. Kinda wanna pick up a 5 as a daily driver.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is the P6 camera bump excessively large or just a matter of perspective?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It seems pointless to speculate since these are artist renders based on a verbal description on leaked photos that Prosser thinks are the real thing but won't let anyone else see.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's extremely likely that it's completely fake and definitely not worth speculating on. And that leaker is terrible and wrong all the time.

That said, sign me the gently caress up for that Pixel 6 Pro.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Prosser has been right a lot about Apple poo poo but his Pixel record isn't good. Did get a bunch of dates right for the 4A phones though.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It's me, I'm waiting for the new Blackberry phone. Hoping for a slider keyboard like the Pre

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

It's me, I'm waiting for the new Blackberry phone. Hoping for a slider keyboard like the Pre

who hurt you

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know, I kinda hope that the P6 XL is the same size as the previous XL phones and doesn't do to the huge 6.9" screen range. Even in my mitts, the OP9P and S21 Ultra are a touch too big and heavy. The P4xl, OnePlus 6T size seems about perfect to me for a good compromise.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gimme that big pokeball looking phone I hope he's wrong about the color.being wrong

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

who hurt you

The Pre. Been chasing perfection ever since

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
RIM should buy the Palm brand and make the Blackberry Pre. Or someone to adopt PalmOS.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

cage-free egghead posted:

RIM should buy the Palm brand and make the Blackberry Pre. Or someone to adopt PalmOS.

TCL owns Blackberry and stopped making hardware under the brand either last year or the year before iirc.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Prosser leaking android 12 ui stuff now. Skip to 3:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYRd8v2eRAA

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

cage-free egghead posted:

I think PalmOS ended up with LG for their TVs.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

The release day Reddit thread was rotten with people complaining about that issue, but I'm not seeing any recent stuff in my Google searching.

I really enjoy my S21 Ultra, but drat is a motherfucker heavy, it actually is exacerbating some hand pain. I took my Pixel 4a out today instead and it was a whole new world of blessed lightness and one-handed use. Kinda wanna pick up a 5 as a daily driver.

I ended up picking up a Pixel 5 today after selling an iPhone 11 Pro on eBay that just about covered the cost. No screen lifting/gap issue that I can tell, though the display unit at Best Buy was showing it. I wonder if Google quietly corrected that in later runs of the handset.

Anyways, stoked! Hopefully it doesn't have any other problems, but I got a two week return window anyway.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Looking to buy a new phone(s) before the chip shortage hits really bad. Thinking about a Pixel 5 as a good long term bet, but only willing to consider Android. Really need durability and performance without breaking the bank. Is this the right thread to ask in/good phone?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

UnknownTarget posted:

Looking to buy a new phone(s) before the chip shortage hits really bad. Thinking about a Pixel 5 as a good long term bet, but only willing to consider Android. Really need durability and performance without breaking the bank. Is this the right thread to ask in/good phone?

There's a phone rec thread, but people reply here, too.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3026166&pagenumber=352#lastpost

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Just how big of an upgrade is the camera on the Note 20 Ultra compared to a Note 9?

My Note 9 is about two and a half years old, and while it still runs great the battery life is really starting to suffer so I'm thinking about an upgrade. After I took a look around the current Android market it looks like camera tech is where the biggest strides have been made. The Note 20 Ultra ticks all my other boxes and has some decent discounts so if I were to upgrade now that's what I'd go with. I'm not willing to compromise on screen size so that knocks out the Pixel 5 unfortunately.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Ty! I'll post there as well.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

LastInLine posted:

While the tip is useful, sarcastx is correct about the software design philosophy that Samsung employs. Cramming in useless features of dubious quality leads to a cluttered interface and endless options that fatigue the user. You know what's a lot better than pages of options and toggles to tweak the behavior and appearance of every little thing? A well-designed interface with sensible defaults that works well in most situations for most people.

The perfect example of that is exactly this exchange, where sarcastx says a default annoyance can't be disabled and you point out that it can be disabled. The reason for not knowing it could be disabled is that the interface is too cluttered with ambiguous options of dubious utility and the reason it's annoying is that the default setting is such that it bothers the user without a clear indication of how to make it stop. That design philosophy pervades every part of Samsung's software.

From ages ago, but It's this. There are so many infuriating annoyances that I'd go insane trying to pin them all down even if they could be disabled.

Here's a great "feature" - the Share interface. Say there's an image from the Simpsons Memes thread I want to text to my buddy (we text dumb poo poo back & forth several times a week).

Let's go through the options row-by-row.
First row: Nearby Share. No idea what this is; guessing a lovely AirDrop clone? Literally useless, moving on.
Second row: Seemingly randomly selected Outlook and Signal contacts. I work for a company with almost 100,000 people - and while one of these contacts is a person I have emailed - not in the past 6 months. The other is a shared mailbox that I manage. I haven't used Signal for a month - one of the two Signal contacts selected I've literally never messaged.
Third row: Quick Share: What the gently caress is this? Gmail: Gmail. And two Messenger options.

Not a single text option on screen; of the options presented, only two (Gmail and one of the Messenger options) are useful.

Oh; and also: Disabling Scene Optimizer & Shot Suggestions does nothing to disable the HDR nag.

edit: Decided to see what Quick Share was; I assumed it would be some other different share interface that maybe was a bit more intelligent. Nope! It's a different lovely AirDrop clone! why are two of the options lovely AirDrop clones and none of them are text message?

also before anyone mentions that I can swipe up for more options in the share interface; yeah, I know this; my point is that the default options presented take up almost the whole screen and are basically redundant useless trash (aka Samsung)

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 16, 2021

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fwiw the absolutely useless share suggestions is a general android thing. There is also 2 different share interfaces on my pixel depending on the app you use :yeah:

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Fwiw the absolutely useless share suggestions is a general android thing. There is also 2 different share interfaces on my pixel depending on the app you use :yeah:

I just whipped out my old Pixel 2 XL and tried the Share interface to see how vanilla Android handles this.
• The first suggestion was my buddy who I text all the time; the guy I wanted to share the Simpsons meme with
• The second suggestion was Messages
• Gmail returned as a plausible option
• The rest of the options were pretty useless

So while I kinda agree that the vanilla Share option had a lot of useless options when I tried it, it was much better than Samsung because:
• it presented the correct option (text a specific contact) as the first option, and the second and third options were still reasonable
• Neither Messenger nor Signal is installed on this phone - if they were I'm sure they'd have been offered
• the Share interface only took up the bottom 1/4 of the screen instead of almost all of it; and none of the options were redundant to other options (unlike Nearby Share and Quick Share).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah, that looks identical to the share menu on my Pixel 2. I tried sharing a link and was given the option for three Facebook Messenger options, one I've never messaged, one I messaged once, and one that died a couple of years ago. It did not give the option for the one friend I message a dozen times a day and the only person I have Messenger for.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
long-press an option on that share menu to pin it. the other share menu (like youtube uses) doesn't let you pin.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Do you just never use share?
My options are
- a list of apps ranked by how often I share to that app.
- a list of contacts independent of app listed by how often I share to that person.
e.g. #1 is my boss' on whatsapp because I've been sending him poo poo constantly whilst WFH. #2 is my GF on signal #3 is my favourite gaming buddy on Discord because I send him dank memes.

Below that it just ranks apps in the order of most used.
Below that it just has "all apps"

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

All the time , sharing all day long

Bonus fun, try opening it repeatedly and see how the order of the first four randomly changes with no apparent pattern

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
The share screen seems app-dependent on my S21U (first and only samsung device I've owned). I only see the weird lovely share menu from Samsung apps, which I mostly don't use apart from the camera.

Share from Samsung Gallery app (I use Photos):

Share from Photos:

Share from Chrome browser:

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

My car's been in the shop for a few days; I've got a newer loaner in the meantime. Bigger screen, different software - but the physical controls are in the same location. You get the idea.

So I'm driving downtown with Mrs. Sarcastx in the vehicle and her phone rings. As she's answering she's struggling to turn the radio off. Instinctively I reach over and press the power button to turn the radio off - but the radio is still going. I press the power button like four times - still no change. Finally I take my eyes off the road and look at the screen - it's asking "Power: Screen Off | Audio Off", and I have to use the trackpad to select which type of "off" I want and press it to confirm.

This is how Samsung would design a car stereo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Supposed close up pictures of the camera array on the P6.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Google-Pixel-6-Pro-cameras-leak-with-a-notable-upgrade-over-the-Pixel-5-s-dual-cameras.539685.0.html

At first glance it doesn't look like it matches the renders, but it seems to be in a case to obscure the hump.

Anyways, it clearly shows a periscope zoom camera.

Another leak (with zero backup evidence) claims it's a 5x lens in front of an 8mp sensor and that the main canera is a "large" 50mp Sony sensor. That could match up with the IMX766 sensor that the OP9P uses for the ultrawide which is an excellent sensor.

Honestly, they should just toss two of them in there, one for the wide and one for ultrawide.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Still haven't settled on a phone but the OnePlus 9 just launched in my country today. But it doesn't seem like great value for the price, am I right?

For reference, it's the same price as the S21 here. Software is probably better but those Hasselblad cameras don't seem impressive? Or is this a "my taste is bad" thing

Artelier fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 18, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

^s21 is better in most ways

https://twitter.com/WinDroidGuy/status/1394522649355640833?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD