Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Vasler posted:

Is there a way to get stuff onto my computer without a USB connection? One of the last things google suggested was to do a factory reset but I want to backup some stuff if possible.

How does a wireless adapter work if the head unit just does normal Android auto?

You can connect to a network share folder through WiFi, which would be an SMB connection in whatever app's settings assuming you're connecting to a Windows-centric setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

What's interesting is that I have an S22 Ultra and I can't make my screen look as blown up as you have it there. It looked like the Note 9 screenshot out of the box.
Huh, weird. I only set the display resolution to maximum before taking that screenshot, but that didn't change the UI element size at all.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I also have the U 22 and this is a wildly different experience to have so much more real estate on screen. It'll take some getting used to, but I think I like it!
The screen on these is really enormous so I never liked how it looked by default. My work phone before the Note was the iphone 6 and even things like the battery and signal icons were much smaller and IMO more reasonably sized.

You can try smaller values if you find this difficult to get used to, but to me it does look pretty reasonable for a device of this size.

Vasler posted:

I think my phone is hosed. Was on the phone with Google support and the warranty expired in October.

I can take the phone to ubreakifix for diagnostics but an actual USB port replacement will cost $600!!
What is actually broken? Unless the motherboard itself broke, why couldn't just the connector be replaced?

I can't imagine this costing $600 even in the worst case, since you could probably get a parts-only Pixel with a smashed screen for a hundred bucks and swap the boards. Maybe a shadier local repair place would do that? I.e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0bDWLUILQU&t=124s

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

cage-free egghead posted:

Sometimes the cable itself can be the issue, especially if it is some cheapo one from a dollar store bin.

I've had this problem repeatedly with android auto. Replacing the cable fixes it for a time. These were monoprice A to C cables, so cheap, but easily replacable. I'd just keep a spare or two in the car. Now that I have wireless, I only have to worry about power.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kirios posted:

Freaking what?! 600 dollars for a USB port?! That’s criminal.

As said, it's not a USB port. It's the entire phone mainboard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vasler posted:

How does a wireless adapter work if the head unit just does normal Android auto?

The adapter is for the head unit. Basically, it's a go between that adds wireless AA to a wired AA head unit.

https://www.aawireless.io/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8O-VBhCpARIsACMvVLPTwdfyezaAuW9cETPv9r2Ug3iztbQ7ln46PmnedZzOyeLkJZbDNbYaAipwEALw_wcB

The one I have. Moto makes one too, but it's sold out a lot.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motoro...40aAiPxEALw_wcB

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think I've sort of mentioned this offhand before, but the Pixel 5a (5G, Google Fi) that I got back in January has always had this annoying habit of complaining about getting too hot any time I try to use the camera for an extended period of time (not only 4K video, but that's definitely the worst offender). I thought maybe it was because of the slightly bulky case I got, and I've been trying other things like reducing video quality and other camera features, but the issue hasn't gone away at all. This past weekend I attempted to briefly use it at the beach after a prolonged period of leaving it alone, and within a minute the drat thing told me it had to turn off due to getting too hot. I realize phones get hot at the beach, but this is pretty ridiculous. I'm wondering if I should RMA or something. Has anyone else here experienced this?

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 29, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The adapter is for the head unit. Basically, it's a go between that adds wireless AA to a wired AA head unit.

https://www.aawireless.io/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8O-VBhCpARIsACMvVLPTwdfyezaAuW9cETPv9r2Ug3iztbQ7ln46PmnedZzOyeLkJZbDNbYaAipwEALw_wcB

The one I have. Moto makes one too, but it's sold out a lot.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motoro...40aAiPxEALw_wcB

I have AAWireless and while it had its quirks, overall it is working really well and is an amazing little gadget. However, just like the Moto one they can't keep up with orders. Now I noticed that Moto is not even available in Canada :( as I was planning to get that one for the other car to see if it's better/faster/more stable.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kind of timely, iFixit is selling Pixel parts now all the way back to Nexus phones.

Of course, you can only buy parts that are modular.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Google-Phone

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Took the phone in and they recommended a factory reset saying it must be a software error since the port still charges. What do you guys think?

Just gotta find a way to get all my stuff off the phone now.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Vasler posted:

Took the phone in and they recommended a factory reset saying it must be a software error since the port still charges. What do you guys think?

How much stuff are you talking about? Can you just make a free Dropbox account or something and use that for a one time transfer?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Vasler posted:

If the cloud is not an option, you could also do it with adb over wifi. Or KDE Connect. Here's an article I found from google: https://appuals.com/5-methods-to-wirelessly-transfer-files-from-android-to-pc-no-usb/

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Thanks everyone, really appreciate it.

I guess my phone really is hosed. Of all the things to fail, I didn't think it would be the usb port.

There's basically no chance Google will cut me a deal and do something with this phone being 6 months out of warranty, is there?

What do you think - repair this thing for $600 or get a new phone at this point? Or, limp along until pixel 7s come out?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Did the factory reset not work?

If not, it can't hurt to ask Google about it. I've had them replace a phone out of warranty by being patient and polite. Although it was for a bulging battery, which they probably viewed as more of a liability than a failed port. Still, worth a shot as a last ditch effort.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Vasler posted:

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it.

I guess my phone really is hosed. Of all the things to fail, I didn't think it would be the usb port.

There's basically no chance Google will cut me a deal and do something with this phone being 6 months out of warranty, is there?

What do you think - repair this thing for $600 or get a new phone at this point? Or, limp along until pixel 7s come out?

$600 is a brand new Pixel 6, and if you wait a bit a brand new Pixel 6a would be even less. Or you could wait for the Pixel 7 to come out and see what the pricing lands at when that happens.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I think I've sort of mentioned this offhand before, but the Pixel 5a (5G, Google Fi) that I got back in January has always had this annoying habit of complaining about getting too hot any time I try to use the camera for an extended period of time (not only 4K video, but that's definitely the worst offender). I thought maybe it was because of the slightly bulky case I got, and I've been trying other things like reducing video quality and other camera features, but the issue hasn't gone away at all. This past weekend I attempted to briefly use it at the beach after a prolonged period of leaving it alone, and within a minute the drat thing told me it had to turn off due to getting too hot. I realize phones get hot at the beach, but this is pretty ridiculous. I'm wondering if I should RMA or something. Has anyone else here experienced this?

Does the phone actually get hot in your hands? I only get the alert when the phone already is unpleasantly hot to hold. Maybe your sensor is hosed. Or thermal conductivity.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CLAM DOWN posted:

As said, it's not a USB port. It's the entire phone mainboard.

Really want a Fairphone now lol

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Well, ran into a new bug with my P6: it stopped charging wirelessly. Confirmed the charger was working with another phone, but putting the P6 on didn't trigger anything. Rebooting the P6 fixed it. :iiam:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

BabyFur Denny posted:

Does the phone actually get hot in your hands? I only get the alert when the phone already is unpleasantly hot to hold. Maybe your sensor is hosed. Or thermal conductivity.

That's an important clarifying point -- in my opinion the phone doesn't actually seem to be overheating at all. It just complains about it. Like any phone the battery does get fairly warm at times, but I've felt truly hot phones before, and it doesn't seem to be the case here. Then again, it's plastic, so maybe that hides it better? Hard to say.

If anything, though, it seems hotter while it's charging than it does when I'm using the camera and it throws the message up. (I think it has happened without the camera once or twice, but I'm not sure. And the camera may have still been running in the background regardless.)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

isndl posted:

Well, ran into a new bug with my P6: it stopped charging wirelessly. Confirmed the charger was working with another phone, but putting the P6 on didn't trigger anything. Rebooting the P6 fixed it. :iiam:

My p6pro does this from time to time. Or it won't fast charge at all, wired or wireless

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

isndl posted:

I don't know if this is related, but I've been messing around and converting some of my non-wireless charging phones to wireless charging, and I've seen this occur a couple times. This could be entirely different, though, since I'm doing something weird with cheap hardware. I've already had to replace the wireless charging adapter I was using on my Motorola One 5G Ace because it just flat-out stopped working. The one on my LG Volt 2 is trucking along fine, although on that phone I definitely had to reboot it to get it to charge at least once or twice.

I can't remember if I've seen my Pixel 6 do anything like this, but it's possible it did and I just didn't take much note of it because the thing reboots so fast.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Have you tried disabling adaptive charging?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

crossposting from the phone recommendation thread (cause apparently it's dead :( )

i got my pixel 3a in 2020 and it was doing me fairly well for the most part until the past couple of months when i started noticing that apps are taking a bit longer to load and they're freezing/crashing more often. on top of that, the bluetooth got hosed up (sadly, that part was my fault), so i'm thinking of getting this replaced. so here's what i'm looking for:

- good processor/RAM that can quickly run apps
- decent camera
- above average battery life
- big (min. 6" screen)
- min 128 GB storage
-$300 max

i don't game at all or watch any HD/4K content on my phone (and am opposed to the idea of doing so on a phone on sheer principle) so i don't need anything ultra powerful. just a nice, solid processor that won't take forever to open multiple apps and not freeze/crash.

i absolutely love my 3a's camera, but sadly for someone like me it's been woefully underutilized. getting another phone with an awesome camera might be a waste for me, but i do still want something decent.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

- good processor/RAM that can quickly run apps
- decent camera
- above average battery life
- big (min. 6" screen)
- min 128 GB storage
-$300 max

That's completely impossible.

e: wait are you talking USD? No idea what the US situation is

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's completely impossible.

e: wait are you talking USD? No idea what the US situation is

really? i figured something not built for gaming/4k watching alone would drop it down substantially. i'm also willing to downgrade the storage to 64 gb too if need be

and yes, it's U.S.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Mr Interweb posted:

really? i figured something not built for gaming/4k watching alone would drop it down substantially. i'm also willing to downgrade the storage to 64 gb too if need be

and yes, it's U.S.

Mid range phones start around $600, anything less is gonna be a Samsung A series budget phone that is gonna be slow and have a not great camera and/or battery

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Mid range phones start around $600, anything less is gonna be a Samsung A series budget phone that is gonna be slow and have a not great camera and/or battery

Eh, a 5a looks to be $380 on Amazon. If the OP is able to trade in their 3a or sell it, that might offset the cost enough.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yeah once you need sub-300 you're into Samsung A series, or buying used. Maybe just go watch some long term reviews of that line of phones and see if that level of performance can work for you.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think that's a bit high - midrange seems like it's more in the $300-$500 range. That does usually come with some compromises, but there are a number of competent phones in that price range.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jul 1, 2022

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Nvm

frh fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 1, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

$600? I got my 3a for $280. and then the 4a came a week later for like $50 more :argh:

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

$600? I got my 3a for $280. and then the 4a came a week later for like $50 more :argh:

To calibrate your expectations, 6a preorders are starting at the end of July for $450.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I think part of the issue here is that some people think of list price and others are thinking of what you'd effectively pay to get one either from a service provider under contract or whatever or even just from Google or other retailers with a plausibly frequent discount

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Ok $600 is a little high, but $300 is definitely no longer mid range phone territory.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

and yes, it's U.S.

Are you willing to buy used? I haven't bought a new phone since the OG Pixel. No point unless you want to be on the cutting edge. $400 can get you a used Pixel 6, the 5a seems to be around $300, which is probably worth the extra $100 over the 4a 5G.

$300-400 can get you an S21 or Note 20 if you like Samsung.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Redmi Note 11 Pro is $299: https://usa.banggood.com/Xiaomi-Red...lientCountry=CZ

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's not a US market phone.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

That's not a US market phone.
s that an issue? As far as I can tell it matches all the OP's requirements (though the 128gb version is out of stock atm) and should work just fine

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

s that an issue? As far as I can tell it matches all the OP's requirements (though the 128gb version is out of stock atm) and should work just fine

Considering the OP didn't tell us what carrier they are on, you can't actually say "should work just fine." It may not have all the bands, it may not pass IMEI whitelists, it may not support VoLTE on the destination carrier.

Besides all that, it would be a gray market purchase which means zero warranty support.

https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/US/xiaomi-redmi-note-11-pro

There's no US carrier where it has optimal band support.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 1, 2022

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
there's loads of refurbished pixels on ebay for under 300, and they're fine for the price. a refurbished 4a 5G can be had for $180

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My Pixel 3XL is looking to give up the ghost. I've been out of the loop but I've gotten enough people telling me to avoid the 6 Pro. What's the alternatives to the 6Pro for a well-built, reliable phone with at least 3 years system update commitment, preferably more. Anything that's a solid recommendation aside from Samsung? Are they still the only game for a decent build with more than 3 years?

Might look at dropping down a tier from the flagship level as well, I don't ever really push it or need the the best camera there is. I do like a nice big screen though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 1, 2022