Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nah, this one:

Try putting the bottom of your phone more over the center of the pad. That's how I get my non-Vu charger to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Glad to hear it. Now to just wait another month for that after my month long wait for the N6.

When did you order it? Kind of mad my order didn't come in yet and I ordered Thursday afternoon on Thanksgiving.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerve posted:

Try putting the bottom of your phone more over the center of the pad. That's how I get my non-Vu charger to work

Ah hah, I can get it to work without a case like that, it seems like a very very very tiny sensitive spot where it works. I can't get it to work with the Diztronic case unfortunately like I could on the Nexus 5, this would be lovely and basically useless if I have to take the case off to charge.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Present posted:

Why is Samsung getting slammed in this thread on the regular? I'm not a cellphone expert by any stretch of imagination and the only Samsung device I've owned is a Galaxy Nexus that I'm writing this very post on.

And this phone is a piece of poo poo that restarts randomly and has insane memory leaks. Is this a regular Samsung phone experience then?

You probably got one of the bad flash storage batch of Gnexes. Enjoy the remainder of your time together!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ah hah, I can get it to work without a case like that, it seems like a very very very tiny sensitive spot where it works. I can't get it to work with the Diztronic case unfortunately like I could on the Nexus 5, this would be lovely and basically useless if I have to take the case off to charge.

Hm, I have one of those Nokia pads that went for like $5 last summer, and my N6 charges through my diztronic case.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Still searching for a case I like for my Galaxy Note 4. Any new developments on that front?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Good to hear that the N6 works alright with the Tylt Vu, I'm working on tracking one down at the moment, I had a quick look at what's available in stores near me but all there really is is the Nokia DT-900 which is overpriced for what I'd be getting, may as well spend a bit extra for the Vu.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

VodeAndreas posted:

Good to hear that the N6 works alright with the Tylt Vu, I'm working on tracking one down at the moment, I had a quick look at what's available in stores near me but all there really is is the Nokia DT-900 which is overpriced for what I'd be getting, may as well spend a bit extra for the Vu.

I use the DT-900 with my N5 and it works great. I got it when ATT had a special deal for accessories online, it was basically buy 3 for the price of one. They work great but not sure I would pay that for one. No idea how it works with the N6.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-DT-900-Wireless-Charging-Plate/dp/B00A3NCC5K

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

DangerZoneDelux posted:

When did you order it? Kind of mad my order didn't come in yet and I ordered Thursday afternoon on Thanksgiving.

Same time. Last I heard they were saying sometime after Christmas.

I didn't even get that great of a deal thanks to $20 international shipping.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

r0ck0 posted:

I use the DT-900 with my N5 and it works great. I got it when ATT had a special deal for accessories online, it was basically buy 3 for the price of one. They work great but not sure I would pay that for one. No idea how it works with the N6.

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-DT-900-Wireless-Charging-Plate/dp/B00A3NCC5K

This is what I have, and that I can confirm charges through a Diztronic TPU case on a N6. But really, don't spend that much on a flat qi charger. Once you use a Vu or similarly tilted charger it's hard to go back, I just use the Nokia pad by my desk where it would normally just be sitting there anyway.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerve posted:

charges through a Diztronic TPU case on a N6.

It looks like I'll have to get a new wireless charger and this is the key part for me, thanks!

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have a Nexus 7 2013 WiFi (probably the Google Play one if it matters, I'm not positive because I won it from a Kit Kat wrapper) and about two weeks ago I got a notification that a system update to 5.0 was available. I put it off because I wanted to double check that I have everything backed up and wipe it when I updated, but now it says it's up to date but I'm still on 4.4.4. Was the update pulled for some reason?

Present posted:

Why is Samsung getting slammed in this thread on the regular? I'm not a cellphone expert by any stretch of imagination and the only Samsung device I've owned is a Galaxy Nexus that I'm writing this very post on.

And this phone is a piece of poo poo that restarts randomly and has insane memory leaks. Is this a regular Samsung phone experience then?
A big gripe is the extensive UI customization of Touchwiz. I like the stock Android UI for the most part and hated it when I tried a Samsung tablet. They also have a long history of abandoning OEM support for devices quickly, I'm not sure if that's still the case.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 23, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I have a Nexus 7 2013 WiFi (probably the Google Play one if it matters, I'm not positive because I won it from a Kit Kat wrapper) and about two weeks ago I got a notification that a system update to 5.0 was available. I put it off because I wanted to double check that I have everything backed up and wipe it when I updated, but now it says it's up to date but I'm still on 4.4.4. Was the update pulled for some reason?
It was not pulled and there's been another update since to 5.0.1. If you're going to wipe it anyway why not just flash the factory image?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
There is something weird going on with the Moto x 2014 I got a couple of weeks ago. Whenever I go on a road trip google search consumes massive amounts of data in the background. I am talking about 1.3 gb in 2 ~300 mile trips. Now, I know that google now usage is part of google search, but I never had a problem like this with my previous android (which wasn't using lollipop) and google now turned on. Has anyone had a similar issue? I don't want to turn off all background data for google search, but it would be a waste to have to upgrade my data plan just for google now.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

why does ultra power saving mode suck so bad? I can add Facebook & G+ as vital apps but can't add things that might actually be useful like, say email or planner.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

why does ultra power saving mode suck so bad? I can add Facebook & G+ as vital apps but can't add things that might actually be useful like, say email or planner.

Just use normal power saving mode with grey-scale on if you really need it. It'll be more adequate.

UPSM disables your LTE too, it's for if you get lost in the woods basically.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

joepinetree posted:

There is something weird going on with the Moto x 2014 I got a couple of weeks ago. Whenever I go on a road trip google search consumes massive amounts of data in the background. I am talking about 1.3 gb in 2 ~300 mile trips. Now, I know that google now usage is part of google search, but I never had a problem like this with my previous android (which wasn't using lollipop) and google now turned on. Has anyone had a similar issue? I don't want to turn off all background data for google search, but it would be a waste to have to upgrade my data plan just for google now.
That is crazy and I've never seen it. I wish I had a suggestion on how to stop it but I don't.

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
Just received a galaxy note 4 and I already hate Samsung bloatware, I thought Sony was bad but goddamn. Apparently I can't get rid of the GIGANTIC 's finder' and 'quick connect' buttons that are permanently lodged in my notification tray without rooting the loving phone.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Just received a galaxy note 4 and I already hate Samsung bloatware, I thought Sony was bad but goddamn. Apparently I can't get rid of the GIGANTIC 's finder' and 'quick connect' buttons that are permanently lodged in my notification tray without rooting the loving phone.

I've got an Xperia Z3C and the additions are fairly mild. What have you found so bad, bloatware-wise?

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What are the current feelings on the OnePlus One?

I ordered one on impulse the other day, and was planning to cancel it for a Note 4 (maybe) but I forgot and the OPO just shipped. (I'm using an iPhone 6+ but thinking about going back to Android instead of iOS)

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've got an Xperia Z3C and the additions are fairly mild. What have you found so bad, bloatware-wise?

I hate anything but stock android, especially apps I never use but can't remove.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vinlaen posted:

I ordered one on impulse the other day, and was planning to cancel it for a Note 4 (maybe) but I forgot and the OPO just shipped. (I'm using an iPhone 6+ but thinking about going back to Android instead of iOS)

Cancel it and get the Note.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

Vinlaen posted:

Never Settle for the One Plus One.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Vinlaen posted:

If those are your options stick with the iPhone.

Nexus, Moto, Sony, sure, switch. Not for either of those.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'd get a OPO if it were like ~$200 but any more is a hard sell with how goofy their image has been since they emerged.

Ended up flipping my Nexus 5 and got myself the new Moto G. I returned my last one because I was sick of the constant redraws but that was due to Chrome being a piece of poo poo browser (redrew on my N5 too). Dolphin and Firefox worked pretty darn well though.

Vinlaen posted:

Oh well, thanks. I'll just flip it on Swappa for what I paid for it I guess.

In my experience if you're looking to make a few bucks, Amazon usually has people willing to spend a bit more than swappa. Swappa's N5s are going for like $250-300 but I was able to get rid of mine for close to $350. But yeah the Note 4 is a much better piece of phone.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 23, 2014

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Oh well, thanks. I'll just flip it on Swappa for what I paid for it I guess.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
If you have a rooted Nexus 6, change the DPI to its native 493. Its glorious.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm pretty happy with my OPO that fell into my lap from a friend, my old Nexus 4 went in the drawer. Fast, looks good, some neat features in CMod (to me, since I never did that with other phones), and the battery lasts me 2 days on workdays.

I haven't followed any of the drama with the makers or whatever though, but this seems like it'll be my phone for the next couple years I'd think. People seem to dislike it a lot around here but a lot of what I read just talks about the company rather than that specific phone, so just figured I'd say I'm happy with it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The OPO runs on the heart of a forsaken child, you monster.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Whizbang posted:

The OPO runs on the heart of a forsaken child, you monster.

Rusty Venture being the designer of the OPO would explain a lot.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Has anyone gotten their tylt vu from the black Friday sale?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Electromax posted:

I'm pretty happy with my OPO that fell into my lap from a friend, my old Nexus 4 went in the drawer. Fast, looks good, some neat features in CMod (to me, since I never did that with other phones), and the battery lasts me 2 days on workdays.

I haven't followed any of the drama with the makers or whatever though, but this seems like it'll be my phone for the next couple years I'd think. People seem to dislike it a lot around here but a lot of what I read just talks about the company rather than that specific phone, so just figured I'd say I'm happy with it.

Nah, it isn't just the company, though they're bad. The OPO also has some hardware issues (yellow screen) and all the software issues that come with Cyanogen.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

RVProfootballer posted:

and all the software issues that come with Cyanogen.

quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanogen
Cyanogen is the chemical compound with the formula (CN)2. It is a colorless, toxic gas with a pungent odor.

Strangely fitting, isn't it?

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 23, 2014

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I feel bad trash talking cyanogenmod because for a while they were a very viable option for almost every android phone, the only option for some android phones that came with broken software out of the box, and for almost every phone that wasn't a nexus, the only way to get on a current version of android.

that came with a lot of drawbacks, even in the stable versions. but that was usually better than the brokenness that was there to begin with.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bob A Feet posted:

I feel bad trash talking cyanogenmod because for a while they were a very viable option for almost every android phone, the only option for some android phones that came with broken software out of the box, and for almost every phone that wasn't a nexus, the only way to get on a current version of android.

that came with a lot of drawbacks, even in the stable versions. but that was usually better than the brokenness that was there to begin with.

I feel like this hasn't really been the case with Android since like 2012, though -- when phones like the Galaxy s3 and Droid Maxx's came around Android kinda hit a good state on a lot of devices for average users. Seems like there's less reasons every year to root your device and flash a custom rom or whatever.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I feel like this hasn't really been the case with Android since like 2012, though -- when phones like the Galaxy s3 and Droid Maxx's came around Android kinda hit a good state on a lot of devices for average users. Seems like there's less reasons every year to root your device and flash a custom rom or whatever.

Agreed. I would say there is no reason to root now unless you gotta have lollipop right now (aka no one).

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bob A Feet posted:

Agreed. I would say there is no reason to root now unless you gotta have lollipop right now (aka no one).

Lollipop finally hit a good state on my Moto G with the latest OTA update that Motorola pushed out. They've pushed out three OTA Lollipop updates in a month and a half - a crazy pace I've never seen any OEM do. It was needed though because the first two were horribly broken and wouldn't even allow basic multitasking. The last one seems like it cleared things up; I can finally Play music and use Navigation at the same time again.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Lollipop finally hit a good state on my Moto G with the latest OTA update that Motorola pushed out. They've pushed out three OTA Lollipop updates in a month and a half - a crazy pace I've never seen any OEM do. It was needed though because the first two were horribly broken and wouldn't even allow basic multitasking. The last one seems like it cleared things up; I can finally Play music and use Navigation at the same time again.

I haven't had any problems with it on my Nexus 7 '13 but I don't use the tablet for anything intensive-- just reading PDF's. I have a turbo and I gotta say, if no other version of android came out I don't think i'd complain. Jellybean is at a very good state.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Bob A Feet posted:

I haven't had any problems with it on my Nexus 7 '13 but I don't use the tablet for anything intensive-- just reading PDF's. I have a turbo and I gotta say, if no other version of android came out I don't think i'd complain. Jellybean is at a very good state.

KitKat. Your phone is running KitKat, not Jellybean :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

bull3964 posted:

KitKat. Your phone is running KitKat, not Jellybean :)

Better catch it before it gets away.