Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Probably your apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Glad to hear it. Now to just wait another month for that after my month long wait for the N6.

When did you order it? Kind of mad my order didn't come in yet and I ordered Thursday afternoon on Thanksgiving.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just got a white 64 gb Nexus 6 from Motorola if anyone else is looking for one.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Munkaboo posted:

Anybody have recommendations on a minimalist Droid Turbo case? my wife got the non-ballistic back and that poo poo is slippery.

I always hate how cases feel but I'm going to email to see how much or if they would do a custom back for a Nexus 6 from here http://www.valentinegoods.com I had a stingray back for an iPhone and it made it so much better to hold. I'm sorry for the dead animals though

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It breaks my head to think that my Nexus 6 left China on 12/29 and was delivered this morning.

Anybody add a tempered glass to one yet? Not sure which one to order off amazon

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Except for the whole memory leaks causing crashes as well as notifications you can't click. I love my Nexus 6...

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

What memory leak? That's a Nexus 5 issue, isn't it? My Nexus 6 has over a week of uptime right now and zero issues.

Calm down

A restart fixed the heads up notifications bug. Yeah random apps will crash sometimes. I only use Google apps and nothing else.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I don't mean to bring up old arguments up again but what exactly is the problem with the sound controls? I moved from the Moto X 2013 and it seems about the same. I think Samsung had the best controls with the volume rocker bringing up that little gear option that allows you to adjust individual volumes for notifications, ringers, and more importantly media. I was disappointed that was a touchwiz thing when I moved to the Moto X

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

One of the cool new features on my Nexus 6 is when it doesn't load a chrome page until I back out and try again. Happens 50% of the time. Kind of neat!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

For some reason on my Nexus 6 I constantly hit the volume buttons. Pretty annoying to have it go from vibration mode to ear piercing levels without knowing I did that fishing the phone out of my pocket

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Reverse Centaur posted:

Diztronic's case solved that for me. It is one of the few things I'd improve with the N6 - buttons higher up and on opposite sides seems like a superior configuration.

Using that exact case. But yeah I agree if the buttons were on the opposite side it would totally solve the issue

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I like the bug on my Nexus 6 where voicemail notifications don't clear out unless I restart the phone. Lollipop is p good

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Is this your carrier voicemail? Seems to work just fine with Google Voice on N5/N6.

It's a Nexus 6 on Verizon. Worked fine on a 2013 moto x. Pretty annoying since I get lots of work related calls that I can't answer immediately so I would like to know if I have a new vmail

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Pulled out my Moto X. gently caress the Nexus 6. I'm sorry I left you, you laggy bastard. At least I can sell the nexus 6 for what I paid for it because of lack of supply

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

I thought Lollipop was supposed to allow me to delete all the Verizon apps, including one that seemed to be blocking me from using a SIM abroad on my S5. I was able to uninstall some programs like the Verizon messaging program, but others don't have that option.

You have been able to use Verizon phones abroad for awhile now. At least since 4g phones were introduced. I'm talking using a prepaid sim card from whatever country you are in

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

Yeah, I used my iPhone 5 on Three in the UK just fine last year. I tried Claro in Peru on my S5 this year and hit a brick wall with a SIM "Unknown Source" problem. Claro kept saying it was something on the phone, Verizon kept saying they don't do support for Claro. I have no grasp on these things, but my Google search led me to a handful of people blaming Setup Wizard with the phone booter/BIOS/whatever looking for a Verizon-coded SIM. Again, I don't have a great grasp to know if that's correct, and it definitely seemed like a corner- problem.

I remember having to change something in my settings to use a Verizon sg4 in Costa Rica. I did have to Google the solution to show the Costa Rican company how to do it but there are a lot more expats posting online from that country compared to Peru. Had something to do with the bands being different. Is Claro the only provider in Peru? I know Costa Rica had only two providers that were highly regulated by the state

https://community.verizonwireless.com/mobile/mobile-access.jspa#jive-content?content=%2Fapi%2Fcore%2Fv3%2Fcontents%2F1903562

That thread has people with same issue and how they solved it. Keep reading since people are raging but eventually realize what was wrong

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 4, 2015

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Is the N6 still the go-to phone when looking to buy off-contract?

I am selling mine in Sa Mart because I was not a fan of it. I didn't like lollipop and honestly even with my giant hands I couldn't get used to that size of a phone. As slow as my Moto X is it just feels better and being able to use it one handed while holding a crying baby helps a lot. However I did forget how nice the speakers were on the N6 and took it for granted when I used it

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Dirk Funk posted:

I would like to know if it's possible to do this without needing to root the phone. If you're phone is rooted I think there are ways to do it, but I don't want to do that.

Prior to Lollipop, I used Mr. Number to just automatically hang up on any numbers that I put in a block list. Once Lollipop came out, this feature no longer works and I haven't found anything that will work with Lollipop that doesn't require root.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greythinker.punchback&hl=en

That's what I use, I get a ton of sales calls every day for work poo poo so I finally had to get something to block it. Also one of my former employees I guess listed me as her work number so I would have to deal with her collection calls. Works pretty great on kitkat and lollipop. Aint' cheap as far as Apps go though.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Yeah I didn't want to be a dick and tell him to go to the App thread. Yeah the UI if god loving awful but it works.

Any word on a new moto phone or is the Nexus 6 it?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Anybody else having problems with the Nexus 6? I went back to using one and wondering if I got a bum unit from Motorola. Wifi issues all the drat time. Google apps crashing constantly. Didn't have the problem when I had my first Nexus 6. Hey at least the voicemail notification works on Verizon now.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

After resetting my Nexus 6 it seemed to be running way smoother than it ever did. That is until I installed the Android Web System update. For some reason everything starts to go to poo poo and all my apps start to crash. Uninstalling it makes the phone stable again.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

They've been saying that since October :(

Once you get lollipop you will be underwhelmed. Going from a moto x 2013 and then to a Nexus and then back to moto x and then back to Nexus 6 made me realize how dumb it is to worry about phone OS updates.

My Nexus 6 just got 5.1 on Verizon. Not sure if it came out to the poverty networks yet.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Is there a setting to keep the volume control from being toggled while it's locked on the Nexus 6? I accidentally raise it up from vibrate all the drat time

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

For me that error happens on my Nexus 6 when the Android System Webview app is updated. Uninstalling fixes the issue immediately

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Bandire posted:

And its not like Lollipop's changelog consists entirely of "Increment version number to 5.1 in Settings menu." It isn't unreasonable to be annoyed at how the Turbo update situation has played out. I would think most people bought this phone with the expectation that it would get at least average support.

Further evidence that no one should be surprised by Verizon's capacity to gently caress something up.

It's actually hilarious that people are angry about a phone update that in the end doesn't do much differently than the previous OS.

Also Cricket is a hot piece of trash. Good luck to the dudes claiming they will switch to it from Verizon. It's cheap for a reason.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'm not really sure why cricket would be bad? Maybe he will weigh in

I'm on mobile so can't go into many details but issues like calls not being received by a Cricket user. MMS is hit or miss even after multiple attempts at getting them to mess with the apn settings in a store. This is in Houston where AT&T coverage is pretty good. I have worked contracts for all the cell companies here including their MNVO counterparts and it's really like they don't give poo poo on the service or lack thereof their customers receive. I felt like I was taking crazy pills explaining to MetroPCS clients that Tmobile no contract phones had been in way longer than the UnCarrier concept when they were confused why all of the Tmobile users were coming up as not having contracts. It's mind boggling since Tmobile owns MetroPCS too.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I think your phone is broken because I've never had those issues on Cricket.

Cool man I'm glad it works for you. "My phone" was not my phone and a few hundred being sampled for marketing research. That apn store issue I mentioned was from a customer shop along study.

Since I try to understand the issues on consumer level I also made my wife use it. Kind of an rear end in a top hat thing to do but she doesn't really care about "gadget culture" I remember that proxy issue since data ceased to function for a couple of days.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

i thought it was but after i "ok google now" and say "set a reminder" it will pull up the set a reminder page....half the time. it computes the same text each time in the search bar. just sometimes it pulls up the reminders, the others it pulls up a google search. its infuriating, because it only fucks up when I need it not to---like when i'm driving.

Its a google now bug. https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/vu0eMzw83MU

I experienced the bug on a moto x for a bit but it went away

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If you want another quick charger this is a good price http://slickdeals.net/f/7970623-ank...m-free-shipping

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

poo poo can I sell my Babies r us or BBB coupons there too? Got so many stacking up....

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

If you Jabronis really need the latest and greatest this works on Nexus 6s on Verizon.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus6/comments/3pt3da/to_those_of_us_with_an_unlocked_n6_on_vzw_still/cw99cua

There is a link about how it could gently caress up your phone with regards to apps. I didn't have any issues when I did it over the weekend but meh probably will destroy your phone so don't do it

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

I am to blame for Google not being able to update their software in a sane manner. I am to blame for not erasing my device to fix it myself. I asked for a sub par experience when I purchased an android device.

Just do what I did and remove the sim and delete Google services updates. Restart phone without the sim and wait about 10 minutes for the update. I linked the reddit thread about what could happen if you do it but it works just fine for me. You don't lose anything

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I for one enjoy the blurry photos my Nexus 6 takes unless I put it on a tripod and make sure the subject is frozen in time

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

spasticColon posted:

I got a Motorola Moto G 3rd gen and while it does get good battery life it takes around 4 hours to charge it back with the wall charger than came with it. Would getting a beefier wall charger charge it back up faster?

Yes but looks like fastest it will charge will be about 2.5 hours to close to 3 hours. Apparently it has the longest charge time of any phone

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Sorry if there is a thread for this I can't find, but is there a recommended VR headset like Google Cardboard or the Viewmaster one but that has headstraps so you don't have to always hold it in place? There are lots of them on Amazon but they all seem to have fake reviews.

I fly my Phantom using this
BlitzWolf VR Headset 3D Viewer Glasses Virtual Reality Box Movies Games Helmet Google Cardboard Upgraded Version for IOS iPhone SE 6 6s plus, Android Samsung Galaxy S5 S6 S7 Edge Note 4 5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AJSKIDG/

It's a tight fit for my 6 though but still works

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

docbeard posted:

Goddamn so THAT'S why...

I was actually about to ask if anyone had any ideas about this. I guess we'll see if the August update fixes it.

What carrier are you on?

I'm on Verizon and need to see if it happens but I do now have this camera issue after the update yesterday.
https://youtu.be/z-wLLP6Uu1g

Restarts didn't fix the issue. Video actually skips while recording as well not just when I replay the video

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I can't be the only one that hates how awful hangouts is on mobile now. It runs like dog poo poo on my Nexus 6. constant crashing and other bugs and it's not occasionally, a short convo will have an issue every time. It used to be fine but the latest updates just made it suck

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's easy to say that in our Android thread bubble, but Samsung IS Android for the average consumer.

A lot of people had awful experiences with the 4 and 5 galaxys. They weren't the greatest devices. I have my note arriving on Friday. Glad to be moving off the Nexus 6, pure android isn't the greatest if the hardware is just passable. I'm happy to finally have a camera that works again

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Does anybody know when the new Gear VR is released? It's hard to find any solid info online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress off I want mine now. Is it cool?!

I got mine yesterday and yes it's pretty drat amazing. For laughs I like to setup nexus 6 camera next to it and take the same picture. It's night and day difference