Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

For anyone who has a Pixel coming (or, really, any other USB-C device) Nathan K and Benson Leung have teamed forces to give an easy breakdown of what cables and chargers you should buy and which you shouldn't and why.

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/1PJZT2g61Ag

The big thing they highlight in the document is which chargers should be considered dangerously out of spec and which chargers do 9v3a for Power Delivery which will charge the Pixel at max rate. They even have a few car chargers on the list. The top Belkin one that google sells is also available from Verizon for 25% off list.

What's interesting is they do actually give both Verizon chargers (car and wall) pretty high marks despite the fact that they are QC 3.0 compatible. The Verizon wall charger is notable in that it also does 12v@2a Power Delivery which will charge the Pixel C at max rate, making it a great travel charger if you happen to have that tablet.

What is it
A sort of open source operating system designed by Google for all kinds of stuff; phones, tablets, wearables, TV's and even some appliances.

What it's good at
Android is available on pretty much any form factor you want. Human sized phones to jort matched phone slabs. Android has also matured quite a bit over the years and offers a wide app selection that lets you replace pretty much everything on the phone if the out-of-the-box functionality is something you want to change. However, there are two things that it really excels at: Google ecosystem integration (Gmail, contacts, calendar, etc) and content sharing (to contacts, between apps, etc)

Version history
- 1.0 & 1.1: Android's initial release.
- 1.5: Cupcake
- 1.6: Donut
- 2.0 & 2.1: Eclair
- 2.2.x: FroYo
- 2.3.x: Gingerbread
- 3.x: Honeycomb (Tablet only, what later versions of Android are based on, abandoned)
- 4.0.x: Ice Cream Sandwich
- 4.1.x / 4.2.x / 4.3.x: Jellybean
- 4.4: Kitkat
- 5.0.x: Lollipop

Should you get a carrier device or a Nexus
This matters a lot less than it used to now that many carriers have begun to subsidize Google Nexus devices. Additionally, carriers and OEMs are getting much better at keeping flagship devices updated in a timely manner. However, traditionally it was/is Nexus devices that are updated as fast as Google can put out code. Honestly, just go to the store and get your goony paws on them to see which you like best.

Rooting
Rooting a device allows a user to access and modify system level files and permissions in addition to installing entirely custom versions of Android. Sound neat? Super. Talk about it somewhere else.

poo poo nobody cares about or cares entirely too much about. Shut up.
- Removable batteries
- SD cards vs cloud storage vs whatever
- Task managers. Do people still do this?
- Console warrior bullshit
- Capacitive vs Onscreen buttons
- Pretty sure it's ok to mock people about physical keyboards though because Jesus Christ what is wrong with you?

Lollipop is here
Official site - http://www.android.com/versions/lollipop-5-0/

- Material Design (complete visual overhaul)
- Large changes to how Android handles and displays notifications
- Auto/Manual battery savings mode
- Default device level encryption + Smart lock
- Quick device setup/restoration
- Guest mode
- Quick settings panel changes
- New runtime - Dalvik is now ART
- 64 bit support
- Android TV and Android Wear support

Other Android stuff
- SA Tablet Thread
- SA Forum Viewer
- SA homescreen thread
- SA app thread
- SA Android games thread
- Google Play

Phones that matter

Nexus 6

Nexus 5

Droid Turbo

Moto X (second gen)

Samsung Galaxy S5

Samsung Note 4

Sony Z3 (and compact)

LG G3

Mod note from pervious thread:
If you aren't willing to unroot and un-custom-ROM your phone before asking for help, your question should go to the rooted thread. If you're positive your issue has nothing to do with rooting or your custom ROM, go ahead and post it here. God help you if you're wrong about your custom ROM (or rooting or whatever) not being the issue.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

XIII posted:

What do you guys think of capacitive vs on screen buttons?

I hate you. So much.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
80 hours of uptime and not a single launcher redraw or very recent app falling out of RAM. I'm pretty confident in saying that 5.0.1 fixed the awful memory issues on the Nexus 5.

Just gonna wait to see what else Google breaks. Cellular? The ability to turn on? Only time will tell.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 19, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

loving :lol::lol:

Edit: vvvv Black because reasons?

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 19, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Skeezy posted:

I'm noticing that my Nexus 5 screen starts acting up sometimes while I charge the phone.

A lot of times the screen reacts really weird to touch. Is this a common thing?

Screen wonkiness while charging is a common grounding issue. Some phones have it worse than others. Try a different cable or charger.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Desk Lamp posted:

More RAM for Lollipop to munch on.

It widens the reboot window from like 2-3 days to 4. :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
1200 bucks for what amounts to a phone without a cellular antenna is insane to me but yeah, music junkies toss gobs of money at "high end" stuff like its going out of style.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

peepsalot posted:

Is there a way to auto upload my phone pics to something useful like google drive instead of google plus.

Not natively, no. Plenty of apps on the Play Store that do it though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The whole thing is hilarious. A buddy of mine got a blue one during the sale. Finally game 2 weeks ago. They call him and offer him a free one to compensate for the long wait. Couple days later a different rep calls him and offers him a free one to compensate for the long wait. Now he's got 3 blue Vu's and hasn't been charged for the 1st. :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ilkhan posted:

Is the n7 just not very good with the vu? It doesn't want to charge while standing upright on mine. Thus the vu is at work and my old qi pad is still trucking away at home.

The coil on the N7 is closer to the top of the device which means it wont charge standing up, only landscape.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I don't mean to bring up old arguments up again but what exactly is the problem with the sound controls?

It's different.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

r0ck0 posted:

I just got an update to the google now launcher via the play store on my Nexus 5 running 5.0.1. Do you think they will be able to fix the memory leak with a google play update? I hear they can push almost any type of system change via google play. Confirm/deny

No.

Edit: unless the memory issues are tied to Play Services which I doubt.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

You'd have be crazy or stupid not to move forward with browser security fixes, especially when dealing with known and exploited flaws.

My irrelevant edge case use scenarios are more important.

/installs warez app store

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My N5 is about 2 steps from completely unusable on 5.0.1. So bad that I've been trolling CL and the likes to swoop in on an N6 deal.
- Battery life is horrid
- I have to reboot it every 2 to 3 days so I can have Maps and *gasp* Music going or it will kill one or the other
- App switching after a couple days is glacial. Same with launcher redraws. Oh, sometimes it kills my alarm clock app randomly so I've had to plug in my old HTC Sensation with a shattered screen to use it as an alarm clock.

Just when I thought iOS 7 on my ancient iPhone 4 was the worst mobile experience ever imagined Google pulls this.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 11, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

RVProfootballer posted:

Do you mean on 5.0.1 or do you mean you're using some ROM on 5.0.2?

Whoops, 5.01. N7 is on 5.0.2. You're right.

butt dickus posted:

I didn't think 5.0.2 was out yet for the 5. Have you tried a factory reset?
Yeah I've tried a factory reset. Twice now. Third was a clean wipe and image flash from Google's Nexus page. :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Skarsnik posted:

Its a pain but I find wiping the cache from recovery helps, I usually do it once a week or so

I shouldn't ever have to do this let alone reboot every 2-3 days. Neither are an acceptable solution for regular people in 2015.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Red_Fred posted:

Why is the HTC One not a recommended phone? Is the OP still up to date?

Because
- I'm lazy
- No one else wants to make this thread every time it needs to be redone
- Android flagship renewals are announced like every 15 minutes

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Finally. If Android's biggest OEM is killing removable batteries and SD cards maybe we can finally move forward.

Samsung, you're shameless as gently caress but thank you.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Just about had it with this Nexus 5. Lollipop has already killed its usability and now it refuses to be charged by my Tylt Vu which is happily charging my N7 with no issues.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

How can software kill the Qi charging?

I have no earthly idea and honestly it's probably a hardware fault but between that and 5 .0 killing this thing I've had it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

This post has solidified the choice that I am NOT going to buy a Nexus 5 and shall pick up a 6. :v:

So are we talking Nexus S with Jellybean levels of bad?

Yes. :(

As mentioned it's great for a day after a reboot but it's poo poo thereafter. Battery drain is insane and I can't even open hangouts by itself without a glacially bad launcher redraw. With Qi making GBS threads out I have zero reason to keep it.

New thread title owns.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 5, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

The thing I'm not understanding about is if it's this busted for you, why don't you just roll back? There's nothing stopping you and what you've got is obviously not working for you.

Because sitting with a persistent "there's an update available" notification would drive me up a wall just as bad.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Lblitzer posted:

Not only that but going backwards is a huge pain in the rear end.

Eh, for a Nexus its just downloading the factory image from Google and typing flash-all.bat in a command prompt.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Long press > App Info > Block notification

You wouldn't see the notification and it will work as it did.

You can block system notifications? Well I'll be damned.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FAUXTON posted:

no but having flashed the image like a complete nerd I can assure you it's A Good Update.

Specifically, how does it compare to a Nexus S with Jellybean?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Okay this is weird. Nuked and paved the N5 with 5.1. Everything went fine but GEL is only showing a few available widgets. For example, Dashclock had the settings widget but not the 4x2 standard widget it comes with. Anybody else seeing this?

Edit: Weather Timeline is missing all of its widgets.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 10, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
4th reboot inexplicably fixed it. :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Same. Mine claimed it was missing system.img. Same thing with previous 5.x flashes on the N5. Weird.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

WugLyfe posted:

Nexus 5 has been a champ today on 5.1. Only down 12% with music listening since 10:30EST

Glad the battery isn't failing, it was just 5.0.1!

I've been railing on this 5 all day with more than normal use trying to get it to puke up with launcher redraws or app switching stalls and so far nothing. I wont call it fixed until after it's been a week but normally by now I'd already be itching to reboot it.

Crossing my fingers so hard.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

PinnacleOrBust posted:

I also had this problem last night, flashing the unzipped components alone allowed me to progress.
Then I was stuck in a bootloop where the phone would be optimising an arbitrary number of apps, get through them, then reboot and start optimising a different number of apps.
What eventually fixed it, 3 hours of tinkering later, was redownloading the factory image and starting from scratch.

Flashing images one at a time misses the wipe flag that's part of the normal flash-all.bat. While dirty flashing is usually fine it's not unheard of for it to go tits up and present itself as a bootloop during app optimization.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Hadlock posted:

I probably type two pages a week in email on my blackberry. Physical keyboard is greatly desired.

You'll need to get over this real quick.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Skarsnik posted:

Yeah mine is doing good too a week in, battery life is about the same but my memory use is holding solid. Its had about every usage pattern since then too

Third. I did have a drunk moment the other night and rebooted it for the first time in a week for reasons I can't explain but I haven't seen a launcher redraw or app switch crawl since flashing.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Same here on the N5 but apparently lots of people in the thread have.

Good to know with regards to the SIM cracks it wasn't just me being clumsy because I keep my phone naked.

Nope, not just you. Both my original and refurb are cracked there. Eventually it will crack in the exact same spot on the opposite side.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

butt dickus posted:

I guess I can put this here. There are two people in the US (and probably the world) with my name. The other one is an even bigger dumbass than I am. He uses my email address (firstnamelastname@gmail.com) to sign up for official stuff so on occasion I get his school poo poo or whatever idiot thing he's doing at the time. In the past I received some semi-important looking stuff that happened to have his phone number in it so I called him and got his real email address to forward it to.

He was an ungrateful moron and it's still happening every so often so I just delete the email when it happens. The other day he sent me an event invitation from his work/internship/professional dipshit account and it shows up on my calendar and I don't know how to get rid of it. I want to get rid of it. How do I get rid of it.

e: Of course immediately after making this post I figure out how to do it, but on the web interface. Perhaps I'm the dumber of the two. Is there a way to do it on my phone?

Not that I've found. I got added to some all day 3 year span event from G+ like that and even after declining via G+ I had to remove it from my calendar via the web to unfuck the calendar on my phone.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Coming from a Nexus 4 a RAZR v3 would be an upgrade in terms of camera.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Look at this instagram superstar.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

isndl posted:

It's like you think the Droid Turbo doesn't exist. :allears:

People may not want to get suckered into being a Verizon customer? :shrug:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Posting from lolhugefone N6.

I definitely like the fit and finish but haha it's so loving big. Active Display owns bones. How did I live without it? By pushing the power button like a god drat pleb, that's how.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

Since upgrading my Nexus 4 to 5.1, I've noticed that it sometimes momentarily quits charging. I notice this when it's plugged into my computer and it'll unexpectedly play the "device disconnected" sound. However, the phone still claims it's charging, showing the lightning bolt in the battery meter. Any ideas what's going on?

Probably coincidence. The USB controller board on the 4 is notoriously prone to failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

Is that on or the same as the daughter board? I replaced that around November because it wouldn't charge at all (I think).

The USB controller is on the daughter board, yes. It might be the cable itself if it's just the data disconnecting and its still charging but it's hard to say considering most 4's die from USB failure.