Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

r0ck0 posted:

Do you think windows had such a problem implementing a theme system?

Windows isn't made by an advertising company that licensed its last major operating system revision in the name of a loving candy bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Aren't you and ~*your wife*~ like 60? How have you managed to go your entire life without working a day shift? What line of work are you in? I'm genuinely curious.

I recall an old legend in which two lovers are cursed such that by day, the woman is a hawk while by night, the man is a wolf. Might be a similar situation.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've got a Moto G, stock KK. On Monday I was using it as a hotspot for a few hours in the car. It worked well enough for light, single passenger Netflix use. Yesterday I noticed that the WiFi was off. And it won't turn on. I've rebooted and safe booted to no avail. Did it get fried?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

No, I think I know the problem and the fix but I'm nearly positive it can't be done without root. What you need to do is delete (or move or rename) the file /data/misc/wpa_supplicant.conf and reboot. The file will be recreated on boot and your remembered networks will be gone.

This is a KitKat bug that is fixed on Lollipop that's triggered by using the hotspot. There isn't a fix besides either destroying that corrupted file or a full reset if you aren't rooted.

Wow, whattabug. But better than what I feared! I'll wait to get the L update I guess... Thanks so much for the answer.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Thing is who knows if upgrading it in a broken state will fix it. If there's a way to root non-destructively you might want to try that.

This is the first android device that I've owned that I've quite purposefully avoided loving with. :smithicide:

edit: Guess it's a factory reset then, once I check to see what hasn't backed up in the past two days because it's all set to go on WiFi...

Manky fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 29, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I posted last week about my '13 G getting its WiFi borked after using it to hotspot. Motorola made the process of setting up an advanced exchange totally painless and easy. To contribute to the thread's knowledge base: I factory reset my old G to box it up and checked the WiFi before it went in. Seemed to be working fine again. Oh well!

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the deal with Moto G mk1 and Lollipop?

Motorola says we'll get it. I don't mind waiting if it means a more polished Lollipop hitting my phone.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Whoa ok thanks! I was certain I read it was already being pushed out like a month if not two ago and so thought it was just a matter of staggered release or something like that.

You're not wrong, it did pop up in India a month or two ago.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Is it the one where the wifi won't turn on after using the hotspot? The status gets stuck at "Turning on Wi-Fi" or something like that?

If it is and you're rooted, delete or move to storage the wpa_supplicant.conf file from /data/misc/wifi/ then reboot. If it's not that I can't help you.

A factory reset fixed that wifi issue right up on my G, too.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Edit: gently caress DST changes

Manky fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 8, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

You in Arizona?

No, I am an Idiot

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
edit: I'm an idiot and didn't see the new page.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

monster on a stick posted:

Android Moon Pie
Android Mars Bar

Android Moose Tracks

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

SlayVus posted:

If I have both next gen consoles, a shield tablet, and a high end gaming PC is there any added value for me for the Shield console?

There are three current gen consoles, guy. :colbert: And no, I can't imagine any.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'd try PdaNet+ before rooting.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure thats exactly how Google Alerts work. Now that I think about it my real question is whether anyone ever talks about when there's a new release on GPMAA. I kind of have a feeling that GPMAA is not popular enough with people who talk about music on the internet.

GPMAA itself has been very good in my experience at telling me when new things are released by artists I care about in the "Recommended For You" section.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Cerepol posted:

What's the go to android simulator for Windows these days. I got 2 loving monitors and would like to use them with fallout 4.

Amiduos, definitely, provided your computer meets the reqs.

e: link, you need hardware virtualization turned on in your bios.

Manky fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 17, 2015

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there any consensus on how lovely the 5X is yet? I don't really want something the size of the 6P, and I'm one of the few for whom Fi will work well for.

Only a tiny bit lovely, p good phone overall

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Daily Forecast posted:

I dunno, I guess I'm just still firmly in the camp of people who'd rather do gaming on literally anything but a phone, but for calling, texting, browsing, taking pictures and video, normal phone stuff, it's been nothing but exceptional.

Same, my 5X has been pretty great for that stuff and I use other things for games. Snapchat does suck but it does on other phones too. Only once this month has it turned into a laggy unresponsive POS for no discernible reason; it was fine after a reboot.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

deong posted:

So just moved up to a Nexus 5x. Is there a micro usb (female) to usb C adaptor? I've tried searching some, but nothing has come up yet. Its all just usb a to usb c, or usb c to usb c.

Usb-c male or female? It's specifically against usb-c cable and adapter spec to have female usb-c ports.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Could someone try downloading one of the recent episodes of Astronomy Cast (397 - 399)? I've been having playback issues with them in any app I've tried: BeyondPod, PocketCasts, and MX Player.

Sure. I use Podcast Addict and just now subscribed to Astronomy Cast, downloaded episode 399, and tried skipping around in it. Just as you describe, super weird and doesn't work well. Never seen anything behave like that before. Does basically the same thing when I try to play the episode in Google Play Music and Solid Explorer's audio player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

Is anyone else having to reboot their 5x about once a week? It seems to just bog down after a while.

Yeah. The camera on my 5X was just great for Nov and Dec, then last month and consistently since then, it just won't work sometimes in any app until I reboot. When the camera does work, it's usually slow. Very frustrating.