Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="439595143"]
Can all of you just answer the question that really matters and tell us how playing Hearthstone is on it?

I'd assume awesome. Because its rad as gently caress on my G3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I was so not into Hearthstone on PC, but it's the perfect phone game.

Yep. I still play it on my PC some but I play it waaaaay more now that my phone runs it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="439616220"]
Does it use a lot of data?

No idea. Any time I have enough time to sit down and play I'm somewhere on WiFi.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Daily Forecast posted:

Anybody have any luck getting Maps to use English (UK)?

I just set my whole phone to English UK. I actually don't mind the math for things like temp and what not. Plus I've gotten used to the date being all weird so going back to us throws me off big time.

Basically. Set your whole phone to it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

seravid posted:

Anyone using cheapo QI chargers with current gen phones? My charger (typical generic pad, 2A in / 1A out) worked fine with the Nexus 7 but it can't maintain a connection with my new G3. The phone also complains (every couple of seconds when it detects the pad) that it's charging slowly and I should be using proper LG stuff, so I assume 1A wouldn't cut it even if it did charge; couldn't find 2A out pads on ebay, though.

Cheap pad. My incipo ghost is 1A I think, or less I dunno. And is fine with my G3

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/LGUSAMobile/status/558700881592320001

Lollipop on the US G3 is coming "soon". "Really Soon"

Ugh, what a loving annoying tease, we knew it was coming, it's already rolling out world wide, the US carriers are being dicks about it as always, what's the point of teasing if you aren't going to give a date? Obviously you started releasing builds to the carriers months ago, either it's done and carrier approved and you have a date or it is in carrier purgatory for god knows how long.

Carriers have been better as of late about getting poo poo pushed through. My guess is theres some bullshit causing devices being "updated" having issues. Im sure clean installs are fine but that whole "user experience" thing actually matters to normal non goon folks.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tunga posted:

Doesn't have Google Now integrated, so if you're attached to that it's a downgrade. But otherwise, yes.

Which I honestly found awesome. I use now so much I couldn't go back to not having it there now

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

LastInLine posted:

I had a bunch of stuff typed out but I deleted it because maybe this will explain the bolded part and why you won't get this on Android.

When I bought my MacBook Air in 2011 I had never used a Mac. I'd always build my own desktops and could flatten and reinstall Windows on my laptops. I could fix other people's computers and I knew how to troubleshoot and fix my own too. Why would I buy a MacBook Air then?

Because I had a Dell for 7 years that didn't really die it just got old and slow. Then I bought a new Dell and the screen was worse, the trackpad was horrible, and the build quality was atrocious. I had the motherboard replaced under warranty once because the power plug hole broke. Then, after thirteen months of ownership it just died and Dell said it would be $470 to look at it (not fix it, look at it). The laptop was about $1000 so I wasn't going to pay that for what wasn't a great laptop to begin with.

I went out and got an Air. You know what? The trackpad is amazing, better than any mouse I've ever used. The build quality is phenomenal. It's beautiful, lightweight, and a genuine pleasure to use in every way. Turns out the software was excellent too. Sure, some things were kind of weird and made for use in a way I wasn't used to but you know what? The more I used it the more I liked using it. It's easily the best experience I've had not just with computers, but with any kind of technology ever.

Over time I've found that I love it more. Sure, sometimes Apple pushes out an update that's less than great (10.10.1 was terrible) but here it is 3 years later and it's running better than the day I bought it. It's genuinely the best $1300 I've ever spent on anything. Since then I've convinced three other people to buy one, including my wife's grandmother. She's not exactly a computer expert but in 18 months she hasn't had a single issue at all with it. Every single person I've convinced to buy one likes it a lot and has zero complaints.

But that's how you get a fan, and by that I mean a fanatic: You make a product that people love. It's isn't something you generate, it's something you naturally get when you make something that is truly great. And it's not like this is something unique to Apple either. Think about other truly special things that have rapid fans like the Miata or the Mustang or certain artists/movies/TV, all of these things are special first, then comes the fanaticism. You can't just create it around something you've made, you have to make something out of a pursuit of excellence and hope your audience is there.

Sorry, that was much longer than the thing I had originally typed but I think it conveys what I mean. I want to re-emphasize that I don't think you're wrong about wanting enthusiasm at all, I just wanted to hopefully show why fanatics are, well, fanatical.

This is me right now.

I'm done wanting to tech support my own poo poo. I did the Asus gaming laptop thing, the android phones and nexus tablets.

Every laptop still works, but eh they have lovely track pads, wobbly plastic hinges, drive cover doors falling off etc. The girlfriends macbook pro? Works as good as it did the day it was built, looks great, nothings falling off, and she loves it. I'm jealous.

I had a nexus 7, Liked it. It was neat and I enjoyed it for a little bit. Sold it to a goon. Decided "Tablets arent for me, wont use em".

Carried dozens of android phones after my 3GS, enjoyed them.

Fast forward to this last month.
Picked up an iPad mini 3. Love it. Love the gently caress out of it. I use it all the time, for tons of things and it just "works". I dont have to gently caress with it, the battery lasts for seemingly ever, and it feels so nice in my hands.

Get an edge upgrade and decide gently caress it, I wanna jump on the iPhone bandwagon again for a bit. Grab a 6+. Loving the hell out of it. Simple things like taking a photo are just so much more "friendly" if that makes sense.

My G3 takes great wonderful photos. Camera is awesome. Love it. But I shake like gently caress. Seriously I shake a lot. Arthritis and poo poo. So taking a super clear solid photo with my G3 took a few shots sometimes. My 6+, GFs 5s? Every photo I take comes out clear, crisp, in focus. Its a true joy to take photos again. Before on Android, while things had really nice good camera hardware the software was always a let down. Sure I could download camera apps and tweek poo poo but I just want to use it.

I'll still recommend android to people, I'll end up with whatever next motorola comes out I'm sure. But right now I totally "get it" again after carrying apple again. Closest thing to date that felt this nice was moto devices. Well and the HTC M7/8. Build quality is so clean. Nothing else just feels that premium. Maybe the new galaxy will finally make nice feeling hardware a thing.

Speaking of android poo poo. I have a brand new G3 sitting here. Sell it to the roommate or flip it for a new moto X? Cant decide and I really need to do something with it before value tanks on it.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've got a non-objectively answerable question and I'm hoping a few of you will chime in. S5 v S6.

I upgraded from an S4 to and S6 two months ago and so far I've had mixed feelings about it. I'm running Nova Launcher on it, and it's undeniably snappy. The camera is excellent. Even though the battery is non-replaceable and a step down from the S5, I don't do anything particularly power-intensive, so it doesn't bother me. All in all, when the phone is awake and I'm pushing buttons, I'm happy with it. However, the little things drive me nuts. This is the first phone I've owned in 12 years that I've had to put a case on because the back just defies the laws of thermodynamics by being a frictionless surface. I currently have a caseology () case to alleviate this, but even though it's "think," it's far too thick for my tastes. I also got the 32gb version because I didn't want to spend an extra $100 on doubling the size, and I find myself about 10 gigs shy of where I'd really like to be. So, quick recap: phone is so slippery I have to use a case, which I hate doing, and the lack of storage irritates me to no end.

My girlfriend is due for a new phone, and I have the opportunity of having her buy an S5 (or anything, really), switching to that, and giving her my S6. What I like about the S5 is that I can put the SD card from my S4 in, and I won't have to use a case, because you can actually grip the drat thing. Obviously it would be a step backwards on screen quality and snappiness though. I also don't know what software changes I'd facing, if any.

The question to all of you then, is what should I do? If I could find a satisfactory way to ditch the case on my S6 I'd probably stick with that. I've even considered putting grip tape on the back of the device, similar to what they put on skateboards. (I'm open to all suggestions to solving my case problem.) If I do switch to the S5, will I notice a huge difference? Is it noticeably slower? Will I just hate the experience?

halp

Do they make leather cases for the S6 yet? Because the one on my 6+ (Official apple one) is exactly the fix for the exact same problem I have with my not android currently.

I struggled with this same issue with most of my android phones, Flip covers were my go to most of the time. Give those a shot maybe?

Trying to get you to keep it because I personally love the form factor of the new S6.