Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Got my shiny new Pixel and it's wonderful. Trying to figure out some things about it:

- Is it possible to remove the big Google button on the home screen?

- How do I adjust my contact list source? On my old HTC One, I could tap on "Phonebook" at the top and then de-select a bunch of email accounts so that people who emailed me at work three years ago don't show up in my contact list. Is that not possible here? If it's not possible to pick-and-choose, is it possible to disconnect the contact list from external sources entirely so I can just manually add the people I want on the list?

- When I hold down the middle button, a pop-up says that "Google Assistant isn't available for this account" and tells me to switch accounts for it, but this is the only account on the phone and that's what the "switch accounts" button shows, too. What do I do? Did the Verizon folks mess something up when prepping the phone?

- When I pull up the app screen, I can't figure out how to delete (or at least hide) apps. How's that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

jokes posted:

In settings, under Apps, you can uninstall or disable apps. You can uninstall apps that you downloaded from the Play Store, you can only disable apps that came with your Pixel. For example, Chrome can only be disabled, but if you download Firefox, that can be uninstalled. Either way, uninstalling or disabling removes them from your phone.

If you use Nova Launcher, however, you can hide apps without disabling/uninstalling.

Thank you for all of this help! Downloaded Nova Launcher and was able to fix a bunch of stuff. Contact list is fixed now, too. I'm still a little unclear on hiding apps with Nova Launcher, though. I've been able to clear out the "desktop" screen, but when I pull open the app box, I don't know how to hide some of those icons. It seems like I can just move them to the desktop screen or edit their name. Is that right, or am I missing something?

G-Spot Run posted:

Is your account direct from Google or administered by your workplace/school? It's possible to turn off/on almost every Google module with Google Apps for Business/Education which could explain it.

Oh, this is a good point. Yeah, my account is from my workplace. If I add a personal account as well, can I get the phone to treat that as the owner account wo the personal account also being my Mail default, too? Or would I need to go to a Verizon store to get that switched?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I feel like it's really hard to compare phones in a meaningful way. I've got an original Pixel that I got in November 2016, and I know it's coming to the end of its lifespan in two respects: (1) the software no longer getting updates and (2) the battery no longer lasting like it used to. Obviously, I know that if I get a Pixel 4 (or 3a, or wait for a 4a or 5), both of those problems are going to be solved for a few years.

But, I don't know how to compare differences in build quality, camera quality, processing speed... let alone if I compare my phone and the newer Pixels with other Android options like Galaxy or OnePlus. is there a good site or tool for that?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Hey, this is maybe a long-shot, but I'm hopeful someone here can help.

I lost my mom suddenly and unexpectedly a few years ago. Just a few weeks before that I had gotten a new phone (an original Pixel with Verizon) and was easily able to get my handful of voicemails from her off of there using a little program Verizon offers and on to my computer for safekeeping. Aside from a couple of brief home movie VHS transfers from the '90s, those have been the only recordings of her voice that I've been able to hear since then. That has been crushing.

This morning, I was rummaging through a box and discovered my college-era phone; a Samsung Moment I had from Sprint. The charger was stored with it, so on a whim I tried plugging it in to see if it was just totally dead and, sure enough, it started charging. An hour ago, I went to check on it and after about three minutes, it booted up. Very sluggish, but its memory hadn't corrupted. It struck me that, holy gently caress, this thing still has DOZENS of voicemails from her on it. And even though I'm not a Sprint customer anymore, I guess it must be saved on the device itself or something because I was able to play them! I feel like I just struck the lottery; I can't believe it.

The problem is, I don't know how to get everything stored on this phone on to my computer. I'm terrified that this thing is going to break and that I'll lose these literally irreplaceable recordings. Does anyone know how I can go about transferring them? Thank you so much, if so!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Very first thing you should do before trying anything that might even remotely damage the phone:

get a microphone - maybe even splurging for a decent podcaster one on amazon in this case - and play them through the speakerphone and record them directly on your computer that way.

edit: that's an old phone but not quite as old as I expected.

It's got a micro-usb connection. Have you tried plugging it up to your computer?

When you plug it in, it'll just charge by default. Try the below to enable actual file transfer and see if they're stored on there like that:

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung-Moment/How-do-I-download-pictures-from-my-Samsung-Moment-to-my-computer/td-p/118968

That is a really clever idea with the speakerphone, thank you.

The only cable I have is one that goes to a wall outlet. Is this the type of cable that I need for my computer?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Thank you both, and you're right, I did have one of those cables already. I've got it hooked up to my computer, and I did the steps from that message board, and I was able to find and copy over all of my photos and videos from the phone successfully. However, I've looked through every folder and sub-folder and have not found the voicemail files anywhere.

I was poking around on the phone, and in its Voicemails app, there's an option called "Move to SD" on there. That's what I need to do in order to make the voicemails show up, right?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Uthor posted:

This.

I would maybe record off the speakerphone first just to be safe, then from a line in out of the headphone jack. Then, look for the files last. But I suspect recording from a line in would be good quality.

Thank you, and thanks to the others who warned me away from doing the SD transfer. The aux cord has been ordered!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

blunt posted:

Use an Aux Cable to go from the headphone out on the phone to the line in (different from mic in) on a (desktop) PC. Record the audio in Audacity.

Or yeah, speaker phone and a microphone will work, all be it at much lower quality.

OK, the cable just arrived and I'm trying to do this. I'm testing it with my current phone first. I've got one end of the cable plugged into the "line in" of the motherboard and the other plugged into the phone's headphone jack, and I've got Audacity downloaded and open. Using my computer's mic, I've tested recording and exporting an MP3 track using Audacity and it worked. But when I play the voicemail on my phone, nothing happens. I don't hear it playing from the phone, but Audacity isn't picking up anything either when I hit record. What am I missing?

Thank you all again for your help!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you plug headphones into the phone, can you hear the voicemails?

Yep, I do.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

blunt posted:

Is Audacity set to the correct input?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEDSy1ozmxE

That was it! That was it, thank you!

I just successfully recorded the first voicemail from Mom off of this ancient Samsung Moment using the aux cable and Audacity. The sound quality is as good as it is straight from the phone, and dramatically better than the speakerphone version I'd saved via my webcam mic.

I have dozens more to save and I'm going to try to do those tomorrow when I'm fully awake and not quite as deep in my feelings as I am tonight, but I cannot express enough appreciation to the many folks in this thread who helped me do this. My birthday passed right before I rediscovered this phone and honestly finding these voicemails from her and getting this help from all of you was by far, by far, by far the best birthday gift I got this year.

Thank you all!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

blunt posted:

The 3, 3a, 4 and 4a all use the same sensor and processing algorithms, so the image quality should be virtually identical (though they do have slightly different lenses). The only appreciable difference is the a varieties only have the one camera on the back and don't have the pixelcore dedicated chip, so the actual processing of the images (post-shutter) is a little slower.

I think that this is a dumb question, but "image quality" here refers to both photos and videos, right?

Now I'm thinking about getting a Pixel 4A to replace my original Pixel.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

blunt posted:

Off the top of my head I *think* the non-a series support more/greater frame rates & higher video bitrates because of the dedicated image processing chip that the a series lack, but you should 100% double check that to be sure.

If video quality is your priority a lot of reviewers have commented that the iPhone SE ($399+) video is better than the Pixel 4 and 4a.

4a Sample:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAuiV0B-Yvw&t=197s

Video matters but isn't the top priority for me; it's just the only deficiency I ever noticed with my original Pixel. And I gotta say, the sample in that review looks totally fine and a major upgrade from what I've got now. I think the 4a is gonna be the phone for me.

I only use my phone for calls, pictures (primary use case), videos, playing podcasts, and adjusting my Nest thermostat, so I feel like I should restrain myself from dropping a grand on another flagship when I really don't need to.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

For people who want to stay in the Android ecosystem, it looks like the complaints so far about the Pixel 5 are:

- $350 more expensive than a pretty good alternative in the 4a
- Bad top speaker
- Some kind of weird screen gap for some of them
- No headphone jack (which is solvable via adapter) or SD card slot (I don't care about this personally)
- Might be last Pixel to use this old camera hardware, so it won't get the long lifespan of software improvements that earlier Pixels have had (this makes sense to me but it's real speculative, lol)

And the ways in which it's better than a standard 4a are:

- Significantly longer battery life
- Slightly larger screen with a 90hz refresh rate
- Slightly faster processor and more RAM (which, combined with the refresh rate, makes it snappier)
- Extra ultra-wide lens on the back
- 5g connectivity
- Wireless charging
- Better water resistance

Is that a good summary? Given that Verizon is selling it for $350 straight up until the end of the day, that seems pretty compelling.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

There has never been a mains series Pixel with a headphone jack or SD card slot, there's no way it should be a complaint 5 years in.

That's not true. My current phone is an original Pixel and it has a headphone jack, which I use.

edit: beaten

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

My original Pixel is now only capable of running GPS for ~90 minutes before its battery dies, so I'm pretty ready for an upgrade. I wish the upgrade didn't look so terrible, but I'm going to use a case anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. Also, maybe the 5 or 5a will be cheap enough shortly that I can just go with one of those instead. If the price difference is a grand, I'm definitely not going with the 6.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Is there any good indication of when the Pixel 6 will be released? I heard October a while back.

As far as I can tell, these are the differences between the 5a and the rumored 6:

- 6 will have new camera hardware (apparently Pixel camera performance has been buoyed by software because the actual hardware is ancient?)
- 6 will have a faster processor
- 6 will have at least 90hz refresh rate
- 6 will have a better display
- 6 will have wireless charging
- 6 will probably be between $800 and $1,000 and 5a sells for $450

Anything I'm missing? I'm so loving sick of my OG Pixel's battery dying; I'm excited to upgrade. Just not sure what I want to upgrade to yet.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 17, 2021

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Take my fuckin' money Google, pleaaaaaaaaaaase

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Let me give you money for this goddamn miracle device, Google

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Well, gently caress me like a virgin goat. Now I'm gonna be stuck waiting for months to get lucky and be around during a supply drop, just like every other goddamn electronic device on the planet.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Got an order through on the Google Store, Chase auto-declined it but Google wasn't registering that, so I canceled the order and managed to do another order with a delivery date a month later. Welp.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Hearing that some of the Google Store orders that went through in the last half hour have much earlier delivery times makes me hopeful that I won't be getting mine right before Christmas despite that being the delivery estimate I was given.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Oh gently caress my Pro 6 is arriving tomorrow morning, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Question: do I need to bring my current phone and this new phone to a Verizon store to get the card swapped out? I just looked at a YouTube video and the guy has a special tool for it, but the special tool kind of looks like it could be replicated via a bent paper clip. Good idea or bad idea?

I live less than five minutes from a Verizon store, so I'm happy to do that if it's easier.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you bought it through Verizon, then it will have a ready-to-activate SIM installed already. Power off the old phone (and remove the SIM if you're a slow migrator, like me) and power on the new one. It should activate automatically.

If you bought it from Google and you have a 5G SIM just swap it to the new phone, as mentioned above.

If old phone has a 4G SIM, it will work fine. You just need to, at your convenience, go to a store and get a 5G one.

Oh, that's super helpful. I'm upgrading from an original Pixel, so I'm sure it's 4G. Thanks!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Is Nova Launcher Prime still considered the best way to modify a Pixel?

I was hoping to just use the Pixel Launcher with my new 6 Pro, but not being able to hide apps in the app drawer that I don't care about is driving me nuts.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

From The Verge review:

Even if you do use a powerful enough charger, neither phone charges particularly quickly. Google aggressively slows down charging once it’s past 80 percent to preserve the battery cells’ longevity, and since these batteries are so large, getting to a full charge can take a long time. Fortunately, thanks to the long battery life, you will likely only have to charge when you’re sleeping anyway.

That was good to read; I was so confused why it was gonna take the phone two hours to charge up from 81%. Now I know!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

generally I prefer posted:

I'm planning on picking up a 6 Pro when I get paid next week, but curious what people are using for cases. I know a few people in thread were getting various flavours of Spigen - any thoughts now that you've (hopefully) gotten the phone in hand?

I've also seen a few sites recommend Caseology, who I haven't used before. Has anyone had one of their cases before?

I don't like big cases and I've never dropped my phone, so I went with Spigen's Liquid Air case. I like it a lot! It's thin and has a nice texture to it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

OK, goofy question: where do I find the setting for new texts making a notification sound? It's very weird to me that my Pixel 6 Pro isn't making a noise when I get a new text, and I don't know how to fix that. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

I traded my iPhone 3G for a Samsung Moment. I also had the HTC Hero with the funny roller ball.

I'm also a Samsung Moment survivor. Not great, but it's been real smooth sailing ever since: HTC One --> original Pixel --> Pixel 6 Pro