Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

jisforjosh posted:

I recently switched from Sprint to T-Mobile and in the process switched to an S6 (first time I've gone off of Nexus). Everything with the phone is great save for one issue. If I do a Speed Test on WIFI, download is right where it should be but when it comes to uploading...nothing happens. This is cropping up in some, but not all apps. Can't send pictures in SnapChat or Facebook Messenger, but can upload them to Facebook and have no trouble running a video chat through Skype.

Any input?

Edit: Upload works on other WiFi networks. All my other Android devices have no upload issue on my home network.
Try wiping your cache. That fixed a weird problem I had with data transfers. I do that every time I have an OTA update now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I went over three years on my previous phone without a single scratch, but a few months with my new phone and a single grain of sand gave me a nice one down the center. poo poo happens no matter how careful you try to be.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

It definitely downloaded all my previous apps, but only the apps tied to my personal account (not my work account, which has its own apps).

Not all the apps appear to have kept their settings in the cloud, I am doing a lot of re-logging in. The Awful forums app kept me logged in across devices, though!

I know this is a little late, but if your phone isn't rooted, and you absolutely need your saved data on your old phone, the only reliable way to backup/restore your data is via command-line adb backup. It has the potential of being dangerous, especially if you forget to specify the -nosystem command line argument (you don't want to copy the system data of your old device to your new one). Really, your only other alternative is to root your phone and use Titanium Backup.

I'm really surprised that after all this time Google still doesn't have a good way to back up and restore apps.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I have no issue with the Galaxy S6 thumbprint reader either. It works fine. I just made sure to wipe the sensor and take pictures of all pieces of my thumb from all angles and whatnot.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

KingKapalone posted:

What's the protocol for switching from an old phone to a new one? I don't know about any sort of backup process.

adb backup

Make sure you use the -nosystem command line argument. Make sure you set a password (backup/restore might fail without a password according to the thread). The -shared option backs up shared storage (SD), but it sometimes might not work 100%, so it would be best to back that up manually too just in case.

adb backup -apk -all -shared -nosystem -f C:\androidbackup.ab

Then, on the new phone:

adb restore C:\androidbackup.ab

Nalin fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 19, 2015

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The T-Mobile Galaxy S6 had an update a week ago that brought many performance improvements to touchwiz. It runs faster, VoLTE doesn't kill the battery, and keeps programs in ram longer. If you have T-Mobile, you may want to try upgrading.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Thermopyle posted:

Mazda announced they'll be supporting Android Auto, and a Mazda spokesperson hinted that they'll have an upgrade path for current Mazdas with Mazda Connect.

Phone posting so no link for you.

I hope they support the 2016 models. I got a 2016 Mazda 6 and the bluetooth support in the car has been absolutely great, but I never use the navigation stuff. They had sent me a survey and I made drat sure to mark that I wanted Android Auto.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

CLAM DOWN posted:

Allegedly you can reverse the navigation buttons (back, switch) to the normal sides.

This is true! I just saw this in the Arstechnica video. There is an option to fix the navigation button order.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
So the Galaxy S8 comes in black, gray, and not quite gray. Where's my T-Mobile gold?

Also, there is a $99 add-on package. Includes some AKG bluetooth headphones (model Y50BTBLK probably, ~$150) and a Samsung EVO+ 256GB microSD (~$150). I have no idea if the AKG headphones are any good or not as I've never heard of the brand, but I think it is a good price on a 256GB microSD.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

CLAM DOWN posted:

What is this addon package? It's not available on any carrier or store in Canada, just the Gear VR.

Apparently when you apply for the GearVR promotion, Samsung will try to sell you the $99 package. You can't actually buy it until the GearVR promotion goes live.

https://samsungpromotions.com/infinitelyimmersive.html

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Eejit posted:

That's how I was leaning as well. Is there a way to get Assistant on the S8? From what I'm reading, Bixby is nowhere as good

I'm going to be sad because I love my Nexus 6 and am pretty much balls deep in the Google ecosystem, but it is starting to show its age

Yes, it has Google Assistant. You can access it by holding down the Home button. I saw it on some video review of the S8, so assuming nothing changes between now and release, it should be an option.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Ragingsheep posted:

Samsung is very slow in providing any updates for your phone once it has a new flagship out. My spare S6 is still on Marshmallow when Google is now testing Android O and probably won't get any official update until July unless I want to flash another region's. It also hasn't received any security updates since Oct 2016 despite Samsung publically committing to them every year.

My S6 got the March 2017 security update last night. I have T-Mobile. I guess maybe you'll see an update soon?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My S8 arrived today, but I wasn't at home to pick it up. I had checked the tracking number yesterday night and it hadn't even been picked up by UPS yet. But apparently they super overnighted it as they tried to deliver while I was at the office today. :( And they won't attempt to deliver it again. They'll instead deliver it to some UPS drop-off store tomorrow and I have to pick it up there. Oh well.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, the Galaxy S8 charger is a typical USB-A to C device. Says the output is 9V/1.67A and 5V/2A. Kinda disappointing. I kinda want to see if the phone pulls the 9V through the USB-A to C cable as I believe that would be out of spec if it did. I hope Benson Leung reviews the cable somehow.

Also, these look scary. Yes, these are adapters that let you plug microUSB and full USB cables into USB-C devices.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean those exist but holy hell that's huge. I have a couple USB adapters to go to Micro and C and they fit in an Altoids can with my flash drive and a couple other odds and ends

They actually aren't that big. The USB-A adapter is a little big, but the microUSB is okay. It will probably be okay, though, as thinking about it I believe the only problem was with bad USB-A to C cables that used an incorrect resistor. A standard USB-A cable probably wouldn't have the same problem. I was still hoping for a 5V/3A charger, though.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Centzon Totochtin posted:

My S8+ got delivered to work and I'll have to wait until I get home to set it up but it came with a normal SIM card and I'm pretty sure the phone uses a nano SIM and I told them I was an existing AT&T customer and I still have the nano SIM from my nexus 6P so I don't know what they expect me to do with it

My SIM looked like it was a huge SIM, but then the plastic piece popped out. Then it popped out again into a smaller piece. That was still too big when I tried to stick it into my phone, so I tried pressing on the small contact itself. Yes, it also popped out. loving 3 layers deep.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Those are exactly the steps I went through to get my SIM into my phone.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The fingerprint scanner really is poo poo in the Galaxy S8. I just enabled iris scanning and I don't bother with it anymore. The iris scanning works great. And apparently it might be more accurate than the fingerprint sensor? I guess Samsung views it as more secure than the face scan as they let you set up Samsung Pay with the iris sensor too.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

RZA Encryption posted:

Spec sheet driven development

Honestly, I haven't really been able to see the difference between the native resolution and the default resolution. They most likely use the lower default to improve battery life.

I also understand why people are saying the Galaxy S8 feels cheap. They basically encased the entire phone in Gorilla Glass, even the back, so when holding it the phone feels kind of cheap. It probably wouldn't feel that way if they used a metal back.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I actually use the rotation toggle. It is great for when you want to lie down on the couch and use your phone in portrait mode without your phone constantly switching back and forth from landscape.

Can you not adjust the order of your quick toggle buttons on your phones? I always adjust mine to put all the important toggles at the front of the list.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I personally never experience any performance issues on my Samsung devices as I make sure to keep them pretty lean, disabling all the bloatware and not using apps that hog all the resources. But I definitely understand how slow they can be. My mother has managed to turn her Galaxy S7 into a performance black hole with all her apps that stick in the background. I can easily, EASILY believe that a Google Pixel has a much higher available performance pool than the Galaxy S8, and suffers less from problematic apps.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Can you post a screenshot of the graph that shows dropped frames during use?

You know, I was playing with that option on my Galaxy S8. I noticed that every time I used my finger to scroll on the touch screen, it would have a spike on the graph. Flicking my finger in the Play Store to fast scroll to the bottom consisted of generally smooth framerate. Dragging my finger back and forth caused big spikes. It would be completely normal for Samsung to gently caress up something related to scrolling, wouldn't it?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Here is my hot take on the Galaxy S8 earbuds vs my old Galaxy S6 earbuds:

They fit better and sound clearer. Samsung truly innovating on earbuds.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
When the Oculus Rift came out, their OLED panels also suffered from red tinting, but they managed to fix it with software updates. I bet the panels came from Samsung.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I read a short book on Firefox on my Samsung S8, black text on white background, for like 3 hours straight at full resolution and my battery life only dropped to 70%. This was on a T-Mobile phone with some things like Lookout uninstalled/disabled. Maybe some carriers have excessive background bloat or something?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Ultimately, since the dude's phone broke, he'll probably want to go with something he can actually purchase right now. And since the Pixel XL is out of stock unless you have Verizon, well, that limits the choices.

EDIT: Hmm, maybe it isn't out of stock? Seems purchasable right now.
EDIT2: Normal Pixel is out of stock, Pixel XL is in-stock!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

RC Cola posted:

So my pixel xl gets here Tuesday. What apps and stuff should I do and get first.

Install Awful, uninstall Facebook.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I got myself a Netgear R7800 (Nighthawk X4S), tossed LEDE on it, and enabled a simple QoS algorithm. Both my wired desktop and my wireless Galaxy S8 (on 5GHz AC) get the same download speeds (~75Mbps). I'm pretty happy. Plus LEDE let me set my SSID to 🚽💩

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

RVProfootballer posted:

How the hell can I make Gboard better about auto-correcting words I spelled correctly? It has started changing "youth" to "your" (yep, when I typed it here too!). Worst thing ever. Did it with another word too. What the hell?

At this point I love/hate gboard. I used to use Swype, but it is practically abandoned at this point and nothing ever gets fixed. So I've resorted to using gboard, but it is quite inferior to Swype in auto-correction, prediction, and shortcuts. There is just no perfect keyboard. I can't win.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

LastInLine posted:

Swype just got a update within the last month that fixed my primary complaint: secondary characters are now able to be enabled on all themes so I switched back. I think they got rid of swiping above the suggestion bar to capitalize so it's not perfect but it's better than Gboard was.

Welp, I took a look. Secondary characters work now, which is great. Also, swiping to shift to adjust capitalization works again. And tapping the swype button to highlight the current work is working. So yeah, it looks like the swipe up to capitalize is the last frustrating bug that is still left for me, but the swipe to shift helps out a lot with that one.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
All the areas I live and visit are well supported by T-Mobile, so that's what I use. I pay $65/month flat for unlimited everything, 10GB tethering, and HD video. And if I use less than 2GB of data that month, I get a $10 credit.

Hopefully their plan to roll out the 600 MHz spectrum by 2020 holds fast. That should help a lot for their coverage problems.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Are you using en_GB as your language? There was a bug recently involving en_GB and the lowercase i.

Solutions I've seen thrown around:

quote:

Go to GBoard Settings > Dictionary > Personal Dictionary > English (United Kingdom)

Scroll down until you see the "I" (and auto-correct from "i") and delete it.

quote:

1.) In gboard settings, under Dictionary --> Add-on dictionaries, make sure "English(UK)" is unticked.

2.) Next open up any root file manager of your choice and navigate to "/data/data/com.google.android.inputmethod.latin/files/personal"

3.) Delete the file "Personal.en_GB.dict"

4.) Navigate to "/data/data/com.google.android.inputmethod.latin/files/cache" and delete the file "en_GB_d3.dict"

5.) Reboot your device

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Everybody knows image quality is not determined by how many pixels it has, but how large those pixels are.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Sometimes that MST stuff causes a card read error, but I just hold it there until it correctly reads. I haven't had any problems with the card being declined. Maybe try removing your credit card and then re-adding it?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Use a standard USB-PD charger. USB-C to C cables should be fine for charging. If you use a USB-A to C cable, make sure it has been verified to be standards compliant (search for Benson Leung).

I have a Galaxy S8. I bought this thing for my Nintendo Switch. Whenever I plug my phone into it, my phone says it is fast charging. It is either the 5V 3A or the 9V 2A that allows it to fast charge. I'm not quite sure which, but I highly suspect it to be the 9V 2A as the non-standard quick charge tech usually works off 9V. Just find some USB-PD 9V/2A charger and you should have quicker charge speeds while also not having to worry about breaking anything.

I would not get a USB-A charger with a USB-A to C cable, though, as I'm pretty sure standards compliant USB-A to C cables only allow a maximum of 1.5A of power. You won't be able to fast charge with that.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jun 20, 2017

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

cage-free egghead posted:

Ah I get it now.

I've been out of the Android game for a few months now, are USB-C cables still hit or miss? Also, weren't micro usb cables the same way, where a poo poo one could jeopardize your phone or charger?

I believe that only USB-A to C cables may be hit or miss. If you want one of those, make sure the one you buy has been verified to be standards compliant. All USB-C to C cables should be fine to use for charging.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Grog posted:

I know this is from a couple of pages back now, but...
How would I know if the cable that came with my Axon 7 is standards compliant? It at least seems like it's safe, considering nobody has reported issues with it so far (that I've found). The charger it came with is USB-A and the cable is C-to-A/A-to-C, and it seems to be charging around 3A if Ampere is to be believed. The three states that the charger has specified on it are 5V/3A, 9V/2A, and 12V/1.5A.

What I'm gathering, though, is for extra cables I should stick to the known good cables that have been mentioned and not necessarily just whatever's on the USB-IF list since some of the things on there are also apparently not safe. I'll probably at least end up trying a USB-PD charger and seeing if it still quick charges. If not, I can always look for a reputable Quick Charge charger.

Yeah, it seems I was a little wrong. I haven't found a single place that really explains all this poo poo, so you have to bounce around to a dozen different places and try to piece it all together, which sucks. So, from what I can tell, a good USB-A to C cable needs a 56k ohm resistor on it. The purpose is to advertise that the cable is connected to a "default usb power" port, which will get you 5V/0.5A. Incorrect cables use stuff like a 10k ohm resistor, which makes the phone think it is connected to a pure 3A capable port, which will then cause it to try to pull a full 3A and possibly fry the port. Anyway, from there it can negotiate USB BC 1.2 to go up to 5V/1.5A, or, I believe, it can negotiate one of the proprietary charging protocols to use higher amperage or 9V or whatever.

I'm not sure exactly how you test your own cables. Benson Leung seems to use some special hardware, as well as some special Chromebook dev tools. I would just use it to charge your device through the charger and not risk using it to connect it to your computer.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
On my mother's phone, I had to export her contacts, then immediately re-import them, telling it to import them to the Google account. I'm not sure if you can do this on that old phone, but it is worth trying.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

RZA Encryption posted:

Does Samsung Pay always use the magstrip reader, or is there an nfc mode too?

If it does both, how do you choose which technology to use?

It supports normal Android Pay NFC mode. When you tap Samsung Pay against a normal NFC terminal, it pays instantly. When you hold it up to a magstrip reader, it takes a couple seconds to transmit the card. It is probably always transmitting the MST signal while also checking for the NFC signal. If it detects the NFC, then it just completes instantly. Otherwise, you just have to hold it against the card reader until it completes. It can take like 3-10 seconds depending on if it fails the first time (which can happen, just leave it there and it will get the next "pass").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
One thing I've gotten around to enjoying on the Galaxy S8 is that there isn't an App button anymore. I can just swipe up on the screen and it pops up the app list. Can Nova Launcher do that too?