Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Well, poo poo. The OTA Nougat update put my less than 1 year old 5X into a hard boot loop. I can't make it into the OS, so I can't even enable flashing to see if flashing a stock image recovers it. I guess I'm taking this up with LG support, does anyone have any expectations for how long LG is going to take to fix my phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

This has been happening for weeks and it doesn't sound like much has happened. Still under warranty?

Yup. I'm shipping to them tomorrow, in completely pristine original packaging with hopes that it will appease the lovely LG service gods.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

If you've actually been paying attention to the last couple years and still buy a Oneplus phone, you're getting exactly what you deserve.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The Merkinman posted:

Who would be the Goon Approved OEM?

Huawei seems to be the best of the cheap right now. LG is cranking out such poo poo and completely failed to give me a reasonable replacement or refund for my 5x that died within 1 year.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Hopefully this super dirty flash doesn't have adverse affects!

New thread title!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

LastInLine posted:

As far as I'm aware, the only Android with hardware cryptography handling is the Pixel. Every other device does it in software.

Maybe I'm crazy but wasn't there something broken in KitKat having to do with encryption? It was so long ago...

This isn't true, the Nexus 5x at least certainly has hardware encryption, and I believe the Nexus 6 and likely 6P have it too.

Edit: I'm wrong as gently caress, on all 3 counts, but leaving this here as a reminder of my shame. Turns out they're all encrypted by default, unlike most phones, but without full hardware.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Welp. Guess I thought wrong then. I never paid much attention to the N6. Too expensive.

They dropped to $300 new right before the Nexus 5X preorders opened, that's when I grabbed on.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

Pontiac also has a G6 so LG better come up with something else.

People don't give attention to televisions like they do for smartphones these days, unless you're talking with spec sheet nerds or people who like their job at Best Buy. Nobody is confusing the two because LG doesn't advertise their televisions like they do their flagship phones (at least not in the US) and the Signature G6 series is really loving expensive even by television standards.

LG G6 estimated price: $800

LG Signature G6 price: $6,000 at entry

Boy I wonder which is which.

Thanks for reminding me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4s6H4ku6ZY

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Peachfart posted:

lol if you buy phones from anyone who doesn't make the software

This is why I only buy Samsung Tizen phones.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cabbit posted:

My Nexus 5X has been doing a thing for about a week now where it just freezes up completely, including the screen refusing to turn off, and the only recourse I can find is holding the power until the thing reboots. I'm not 100%, but it seems to usually be when I'm going back into Google Play Music after a long delay-- like listening to music while I drive somewhere, turn off the music and walk around for an hour, then get back in the car and start the music back up.

The only whiff of this I can find after repeated searching is some people claiming it to be a precursor to getting hosed by a boot loop.

On a scale of gently caress to gently caress, how worried should I be here?

Nexus 5Xes are doomed. If you are within 15 months of purchase, contact LG immediately and they'll refuse to refund your money, repair your phone, or replace it with another Nexus 5X and send you a piece of poo poo G5. At least, that's been my experience.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Are you the President or some other edge case security issue? If not fingerprint is fine.

Everybody knows that the President uses a Galaxy S3, so no fingerprint reader (and no security updates in years).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Anyone know when the Moto G5+ is due out in the USA and what the price will be? Trouble finding definitive answers via google.

I've had a really hard time finding a good source, but I've seen hearsay that it's March 29. Wish I had more info, I'm looking to grab one near release too.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

My Nexus 5X rebooted several times today, got very hot, and I had to hot dog the power button to get out to actually get into the OS (it kept getting stuck at the "Google" loading screen). Is it on its way out? I bought Nexus Care with it, but it is a launch device.

That's how they all die. 2 in my family went just like that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Since Google is buying HTC what other poo poo companies should they buy.

Toys R Us? Massively expand the Google retail presence, HTC plastic will look good if they position them on the shelf next to Playskool.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Huxley posted:

I'm on my third 5X and my wife is on her second after having them just randomly brick. Fi has always replaced them for free (after a bit of bitching) but if they want to give me $115 for it and sell me a replacement <$400, I'll play that game.

How'd you get a new one? I got told it was entirely impossible to get a replacement 5X and they sent me a goddamn G5.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

The lovely "unlocked" LG G5 that I was sent as a warranty replacement for a dead 5X is loving me over once again. I gave it to my dad to be used as a travel phone while he's in Europe, and it's refusing to pick up any local data service.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Is the pixel 1 staying around and get cheaper? That's just about the only Android I'd consider getting a year old.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Problem with things like bootlooping is, you don't have numbers of either how many devices did that and how many were sold. So you don't know whether it's a really huge problem, or some minority is being really vocal. Usually you only hear about people complaining, seldomly people praising something (outside of an echo chamber).

You know what was a pretty big red flag for me? LG was entirely unable to replace my 10 month old 5X with another 5X. That was not an option.

That bodes pretty poorly for reliability. Would apple or even Samsung tell you "Well, we can't give you another 6S / S6 to replace your dead during warranty device".

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Google handles all support for the Pixels regardless of where you buy them from, right? Buying a 5X off of Newegg was one of the worst tech decisions of my life.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

Don't quote me on this but I think you have to specifically buy it from Google otherwise you deal with your wireless carrier (if you buy it through Verizon) or with HTC/LG (If you buy it from Amazon or Best Buy)

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. The only thing worse than dealing with a wireless carrier is dealing with HTC or LG.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Maneki Neko posted:

Yeah, S model is a no brainer, although at some point I think it will cost slightly more.

S model has:

slightly bigger screen
slightly bigger battery
dual rear cameras
better front camera
higher quality exterior

It's worth at least an asterisk that the dual rear cameras on the S are outright worse than the single camera on the non-S. The rest of the changes probably make the S better overall.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

OctaviusBeaver posted:

In what way is it worse?

Smaller, less sensitive pixels on the sensor combined with a smaller aperture on the 5S.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

His Purple Majesty posted:

As far as quality goes how are BLU phones?

I think that the Alcatel A30 might be a better $60 phone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Since the thread loves to recommend the G5+ I take it it's one of the few phones where adaptable storage hasn't been deactivated for no reason?

I have a G5+. It's all-around twice the phone of the LG G5 that I was given as a warranty replacement for my broken Nexus 5X. I'd say it's about as good a phone as the Nexus 5X, and also it hasn't broken in the months I've had it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

I read books on my phone, checkmate

Buy a Kindle!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Another Nexus 5X bit the dust. The last time my 5X bootlooped, LG took 3 weeks and then sent me an AT&T G5 that didn't work out of the box on T-mobile, I had to manually input APN. Any chance that I can trade a bootlooped Nexus 5X towards a Pixel?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Uthor posted:

I, no joke, wondered if I could get this on my 5x.

Google tends to region lock their low-end Android stuff to poor parts of the world. The Youtube Go app is Asia-only.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Stay Safe posted:

Hi. I was wondering if you could all help me find a new phone. You see, I have had the Pixel XL 2 for a few weeks now, and decided it was about high time to get myself an upgrade to the iPhone X, but I just don't like it because of the notch. I am pretty ignorant when it comes to phones, so which one should I buy? I am looking for the latest and best phone. Thank you.

You sound like you really want a Gresso Regal Gold.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

OK yeah, this Pixel 2 is really nice compared to the old phone. I guess I'll dump the 5X on Ebay.

Haha, you're selling somebody a bomb with a lit fuse.

Unrelated, but the Honor 7X hardware looks really great and they're $199 USD for the 32GB/3GB model.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Huawei is sunk again in the US. They were supposed to announce carrier partnerships with AT&T and Verizon, but governmental pressure has basically forced both carriers to back out of the deals because Huawei is apparently classified as a security threat.

It's a shame. I think the Honor phones are really competitive value phones, and it feels like there's an opening now that even Moto is trying to move the G up-market a bit with the G5S+.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

It's been years and years now since I last tuned an analogue radio, bless

If this is true for the population at large, then we need to be following Norway ASAP to reclaim that spectrum: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/norway-fm-radio-switch-off-digital-1.3923612

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Is digital radio not a thing in the US then?

Digital radio here is exclusively controlled by one private, for profit company and has never achieved significant penetration.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Lol what they gotta let the batteries bootloop themselves dead on the last model before pushing out a new one?

LG is demoting themselves to "lovely carrier pack-in phone."

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Aren't there plenty of SMB clients that you can just dump to a network share drive over wifi?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Is the Pixel 2 the only powerful 5" phone? Seems like every major phone nowadays is 5.5 and up :(

Thanks to bezels shrinking, a lot of the 5.5" phones are physically smaller than last year's 5" phones. The real issue that you're seeing is that the Pixel 2 is one of very few flagship phones left that has fat bezels.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Between the Nexus 6P's many faults, the 5x dying, and the Pixel having issues now, what's the loving problem, Google? Jesus, get your poo poo together, or there's not going to be a phone to recommend.

There is a phone to recommend, and that phone is the Moto G5 Plus by Lenovo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

FunOne posted:

Just wanted to jump in here with:

My Pixel XL 2 still going great.
My previous Pixel XL poo poo the bed and was replaced for free by Google.
My previous Nexus 6P had battery issues after I gave it to my wife, replaced with a Pixel XL for free by Google.
My Nexus 6 still working just fine for my mother in law.

Those of us that had Nexus 5x / 6P not purchased through Google had a radically different support experience. I tried contacting them at one point, they told me to take it up with the original retailer or manufacturer.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/neiltwitz/status/963050692998033408

Are these Nokia phones any good? How are they instantly a higher-selling phone manufacturer than Google, HTC, Motorola (Lenovo), Sony, and Oneplus?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

A friend's SD card in his Moto G4 has been renamed a string of random characters. I think he's running 7.0. any thoughts?

Sounds like the SD card may be suffering some type of physical failure. Cheap flash memory (SD cards) can die and just start shredding data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Don’t use Huawei phones, say heads of FBI, CIA, and NSA.

How much weight should I be putting into guidance like this? It seems to me like there's no Android option that doesn't have someone spying on you. I feel like the Honor phones are pretty drat competitive in the budget space, and it feels like if it's not China spying on you, it's the US.