Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I just got a system update on my M7 to fix the recent and very annoying bug that broke phone call audio. Apparently it was caused by last month's HTC services update. It happened to me 2 or 3 times this month but was always fixed by a restart. So if you've got an M7, check for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Detox is always hard, but you'll come through as a stronger person.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The micro USB port on my HTC One M7 started dying this week, and now will only charge with certain cables. And even then, it is jiggly and often loses/finds the power. I started catching up on the Sony Z4 release rumors in anticipation of March's MWC and it looks like the Z4 has been pushed back to summer, and the Z4 Compact to fall.

Z3 here I come, I guess. I was hoping to hold out for the next cycle, but I'm not gonna make it.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

Source? This would make me sad.

It's been spreading around today but not confirmed:

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sony-Xperia-Z4-might-be-announced-in-the-summer-not-at-MWC-2015_id65239

http://au.ibtimes.com/sony-xperia-z4-release-date-changed-sony-skip-mwc-2015-unveil-z4-summer-instead-reports-1415449

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Z3 trip report: extremely good build quality, excellent screen, camera is quite nice. Not as large of a size difference as I had expected, compared to the M7. The magnetic charging is very nice. I haven't tried out the waterproofing yet. Overall I'm very pleased.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

FAUXTON posted:

Is the N6 still the go-to phone when looking to buy off-contract?

It depends on your carrier. If you're on TMO you should look at the Xperia Z3 because it's better than the N6 in some key areas. I just finished taking a long, hard look at both and I'm glad I bought the Z3.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Web Jew.0 posted:

We should maybe have a goon recommendation blurb in the OP like:

Flagship:
1. Sony Z3 ~ Droid Turbo
2. Moto X (2014) ~ HTC One M8
--
n. OnePlus One

Phablet:
1. Nexus 6 ~ Galaxy Note 4

Small:
1. Sony Z3 Compact

Value:
1. Moto X (2013)
2. Moto G 4G (2013) ~ Moto G 4G (2014)

I agree with your premise and your rankings.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Why is the HTC One not a recommended phone? Is the OP still up to date?

The One is a good phone - which I was happy to own - but the Z3 is like a better version of the One. Both are beautifully constructed and well-built, but one has a much better camera and much longer battery life. And is waterproof.

(It's the phone in the OP.)

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

RVProfootballer posted:

Someone has to balance out the dumb dude giving awful advice recommending buying an S5

Seriously. Even if you're blind to Touchwiz's failures, there are easily a half dozen more compelling choices.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The M7 was light years ahead of the M8, both in terms of style and in-hand feel. If the M9 had been based on THAT, it would be an announcement to get excited about.

Also, :laffo: Samsung

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

eric posted:

So who's the going to step up as the new Android darling?

The Xperia Z3 I bought last month is nearly perfect, and much better than my M7, which was the best phone I'd ever owned. Which was much better than the Samsung phones I fought with for years.

Sony makes amazing phones that are waterproof, use SD cards, and have great cameras. The question is, will they continue to do so?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't exactly call it 'Samsung supremacy'. They've made two phones that kind of look more premium, at the cost of several features they've always leaned on as key advantages over the competition. Said phones are still running Touchwiz, and now pair a sealed battery with a screen that has wayyyy too many ppi. I'm anxiously awaiting battery life tests.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Ragingsheep posted:

All reports are that the m9's 20mp camera is worse than the rear camera on the m8

I read that the quick peeks were all with unfinished camera software. So it's probably too soon to know anything definitive.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

NihilismNow posted:

Why is metal and glass considered high end when they are clearly inferior materials to make a phone out of? Plastic is lighter, deals with shocks better, cheaper, doesn't block radio signals and returns to its original form after it has been bent. Who are all these people who insist on more glass on their phone that can break?

There are different types of plastic to choose from. Some phones use plastics which feel great in the hand and are awesome, like Motorola and Nokia stuff, or the Nexus 5/7. Other phones use plastic that feels slimy or greasy, or is a fingerprint magnet, or is oddly inspired by a Band-Aid, or is strangely leather-ish, and refuse to use a premium plastic despite years of complaints.

Samsung has always made the Other Phones.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 2, 2015

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Xperia Z3 Phone = Best Phone

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Variable_H posted:

So apparently with the M9 being not good/somewhat worse than the M8, what is the suggested go-to android phone available from t-mobile?

Sony Xperia Z3.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Really, reeeeeeally glad I bought a Sony Z3 instead of waiting for the upcoming phones. It's nearly perfect and is easily better than any HTC/Motorola/Samsung I've owned. Not having the Z3/Z3C on your list of top phones immediately invalidates said list.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The S6 Edge doesn't add any functionality, is supposedly harder to hold, is more fragile, and is $100 more. I agree that it looks cooler, but it doesn't seem very compelling.

PM me when they release a GPE S6...

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yikes. This might do it for HTC. Thanks for the M7, it was amazing at the time and still looks incredible.

:smith:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

Why would you get anything buy the Nexus 6? Official support from google.

I would have bought a Nexus 6 but Google won't upgrade the software to match the Xperia Z3's battery life or camera or SD card support or waterproofing, no matter how many angry emails I send.

Maybe XDA can fix these Nexus 6 shortcomings.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
As a TMO customer, I was pretty interested in Fi. But the data price makes it a no-go unfortunately. I used 35 gigs in February, and 37 in March. So I'll keep my grandfathered unlimited plan, obviously. I am the outlier.

Coverage improvement would have been nice. Oh well. Looks great for a lot of people though.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The charging port went bad on my HTC M7. And my Galaxy S3 before that.

USB ports suck.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I won't need to replace my Z3 for a long time, but it's good to see that Android is finally taking the lead in camera quality over the iPhone. Both the S6 and G4 are awesome, which is great to see.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Wife smashed her TMO 2013 Moto G. Should she get a 2014 G or a 2014 E? The lack of LTE on the G sucks, but the processor and camera are better. The camera is a factor because we take a lot of photos of the kids. The main thing that worries me is the E's lack of an LED flash.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yes, this. The only downside is (possibly) the size, but buying a Moto G at this point (either one, they both have the same processor/ram) is pretty insane. Hopefully the Moto G 2015 that's been rumored to have a snapdragon 610 and 2GB of RAM will be out soon. The Zenfone2 will probably still beat it in several areas, but things will at least be a bit more competitive.

Crap. It's an unproven phone maker with no track record for providing updates or supporting the U.S. market. And it doesn't have Motorola's excellent software. This isn't a great situation.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

Those people don't exist.

Right. I'm worried about Asus's reliability and usability compared to a proven Moto platform. And the phone is for my wife, who is used to Moto's near-stock Android. And from what I've read, the Zenfone 2 has a ton of bloatware.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I use and enjoy SD cards on my phones that happen to support them. It's not a deciding factor for purchase to me, but it's quite silly to claim that they're worthless like some posters do regularly.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's an S5 Active, you're supposed to be able to submerge it in water.

I thought the S5 Active was only water resistant, though? Only good for minor splashes and being outside in the rain? I don't think it's fully waterproof like Sony's phones.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

Seriously, you'd have to have brain damage from heat stroke to consider any device running an 810. Even Samsung took one look at it and called it poo poo. Samsung. Let that sink in.

I just saw that the next OnePlus will use an 810. It's nice to start the day with a hearty laugh.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rusty! posted:

Apparently a newer, less burny version of it

I don't know which to laugh at and trust less: the 810, or the OnePlus RMA process.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

ijyt posted:

Is the Z3C still the best option for a small, fully featured phone?

Yep, definitely. Ignore the post above this.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Moto can't seriously release a new midlevel phone in mid-2015 with 1gb ram, can they?

:psyduck:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Preordering immediately

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

DangerZoneDelux posted:

If you want another quick charger this is a good price http://slickdeals.net/f/7970623-ank...m-free-shipping

Got one, thanks for the heads up!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Bought Monument Valley, thanks

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Pretty excited about tomorrow's Moto event.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
All 3 of these phones look very interesting and potentially great. Can't wait for pricing and reviews. Bold camera statement: DXO Mark rates the new camera as better than the iPhone 6. We'll see!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Lack of wireless charging is the only problem I see. If my Z3 breaks I'm probably getting a G or an X Play. I'm definitely done with flagship prices. Such a ripoff.

Edit: no Play in the US, holy poo poo that's dumb. I don't want a 5.7" Quad HD phone, morons. I want 1080p with great battery life.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 28, 2015

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Without reviews it's hard to say for sure, but the announcement has completely killed any interest I had in the OnePlus 2. The new G and X look like they could be great, the prices are excellent, and Moto's hardware and software are solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Cable posted:

How so? I'm still debating between the Style and the Oneplus 2. The only thing I was expecting from MotoX was to be smaller, but since that isn't the case, I might as well go for the fingerprint sensor and (already proven) decent camera.

What RVP said. OnePlus hasn't done a thing to earn the benefit of the doubt when it comes to hardware quality or warranty support. And on top of that it is running a new OS. Moto's version of Android takes stock and adds things that work well and are useful.

OnePlus needed a massive hardware and price advantage to be compelling. It has neither.