Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

What do you guys think of capacitive vs on screen buttons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm not going to cry for a completely theme-able OS, but I would like an option for a dark theme for apps. I've stopped caring enough to flash/install themed versions (because gently caress that), but I've also started opening Gmail in place of toggling on the flash so I can find my way around my apartment at night

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vinlaen posted:

What are the current feelings on the OnePlus One?

I ordered one on impulse the other day, and was planning to cancel it for a Note 4 (maybe) but I forgot and the OPO just shipped. (I'm using an iPhone 6+ but thinking about going back to Android instead of iOS)

Cancel it and get the Note.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm glad that my HTC One seems to outperform other HTC Ones. :smug:

It is the Chosen One

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

For those of you that were holding out for it, the Diztronic case for the ballistic nylon Droid Turbo is out. Sadly, it's not available for Amazon Prime shipping (yet), so it'll run you an extra ~$3 plus a longer wait.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

It's probably best just to wait as by the time it ships and gets to you, it'll probably arrive at Amazon's warehouses.

That's what I'd planned to do. I'm not in any rush for a case, but I'd like to have one laying around for the days I'm not either in the office or at home, so I'll just order one when it's eligible for Prime.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

5436 posted:

Wait till you get to quick charging, its next level poo poo. My Note 4 charges so fast I don't even really need to wireless charge.

Yeah, I love being able to cram a ton of juice into my battery in just a few minutes. If I had to pick, I'd take quick charging over wireless any day. Luckily, my Turbo has both (and a huge battery).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

robodex posted:

Actually really dumb question, but does Google Photos auto-post your pics to G+? For some reason I thought that was A Thing which is why I've never used it in case some less... savory photos get dumped onto my G+ account that I never use.

No, your nudes are safe.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Will I be kicking myself in six months if I get the LG G3 over the other two phones?

Maybe. I liked mine for the few months I had it. I found the battery to be okay. Certainly better than the Moto X, not as good as the Note 3 (but not far behind), and, obviously, not as good as the Droid Turbo (although that isn't an option for you). In terms of hardware, the camera was great and I liked the size and feel of the phone. Software: the OS skin wasn't terrible and I liked Knock On. One thing that I HATED was the inability to turn off the unlock animations. That was the only place I ever noticed any lag and, holy poo poo, was it ever apparent. It was a big reason I decided to keep my Note 3 over it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I love my Turbo. Best phone I've owned. No complaints.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

this_is_hard posted:

I know I personally get the 1-2 second silence when I call people bug.

Oh, so this is a "thing" other people are seeing? Good, I thought it was just me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I much prefer the 5.2" size of my Turbo to the 4.7" size of my 13 Moto X. It's a good middle ground. Some days I miss the huge screen goodness of a Note, but, for the most part, I find 5.2" to be pretty perfect.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

dissss posted:

- Lockscreen animations are all awful

This was my biggest problem with the G3. Not only was every unlock animation overly cartoony, but you couldn't disable them and it made it feel like the homescreen was redrawing every time you unlocked the phone.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Girlfriends G2 took a quick stop under a running faucet, and we immediately turned it off and threw it in a bag of rice and silica gel. Anyone ever had a G2 take a tumble into water? Are we screwed?

My OG Droid sat submerged in pee overnight and a day in rice fixed it right up. But, my gf's Droid 2 took a 5 second dive into the toilet and died a slow death of even after being in rice. So, you'll just have to wait and see.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="441291648"]
But how was the rice?

I've had better.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

myron cope posted:

My phone seems to have stopped rebooting. I guess it was an app causing it. Probably goddamned Facebook.

I've been using Action Launcher 3 again. My biggest complaint before was no Google now instant access but I just use the classic swipe up from home and it works fine.

I paid for Action Launcher 3 a few days ago when he pushed that big update, but there's still no option to adjust screen padding and I can't seem to figure out how to set a wallpaper and it not come out all wonky, so I'm back to Action Launcher 2 for a while longer.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

AL 3 seems to have pulled most of the features I liked in AL2, so I don't see myself upgrading any time soon. He pulled 1-touch, even though the launcher's primary appeal was the availability of the side app drawers from any screen.

Yeah, I hate that 1-Swipe got cut, but I can live with using something like Glovebox in its place. I think I'll cave and make the switch once he adds the ability to adjust screen padding (assuming he does). Chris Lacy can really frustrate me. He has genuinely good and interesting ideas, but they never seem to make it past the 80% complete stage.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

So, what phones out there have the least amount of manufacturer bullshit thrown on top of Android?

Do all phones now have the swipe up to Google Now?

Trying to get my wife to get a Moto X for her upgrade, but I was wondering if there were any comparable alternatives to that from Verizon.

I'd recommend the Turbo over the X. It's the same size and has the same (very nice) software tweaks, but you get a huge battery, an included turbo charger, and a better camera (I think. Someone yell at me if I'm wrong here).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I’m having this odd issue where sms notifications seem to be getting cleared, at least to some degree. I’ll get a text or two and feel/hear my phone vibrate, but there’s no active notification (Droid Turbo). Looking in the notification shade, the Hangouts notification icon is there and I can preview the messages, but, when I unlock my phone, they are showing up on my DashClock widget. The messages are all there and unread when I go into Hangouts, so I don’t know what’s going on. I did have a weird thing happen where I got a text that I read and responded to from PushBullet, but it never showed up on my actual phone (this has happened once before). I’ve also had two friends say they sent me messages that I just never got. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Edit: about the only thing I'm noticing is that it happens when I have more than one unread message

XIII fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 27, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I love my Turbo, but it does two things that are both reeeeeeeeeeally annoying and I was wondering if anyone knew how to “fix”

1. If I get a call while I have headphones in, the volume jumps to the max. This means there’s a spike in whatever I’m listening to, followed by gently caress YOU levels of my ringer, and then, after the call, I have to remember to turn the volume down before resuming my music/podcast (assuming it doesn’t resume on its own). It doesn’t seem to matter what my ringer volume is set to either.
2. If I get a call while I have headphones in or have my phone plugged into an aux port, I’ll unplug it to talk to the person. For some reason, the call will come through on speakerphone and I have to toggle speakerphone on and back off to get it to route to the earpiece. It doesn’t seem to matter if I unplug it before I answer the call or after.

Any ideas?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

So, I love my Turbo, but it does two things that are both reeeeeeeeeeally annoying and I was wondering if anyone knew how to “fix”

1. If I get a call while I have headphones in, the volume jumps to the max. This means there’s a spike in whatever I’m listening to, followed by gently caress YOU levels of my ringer, and then, after the call, I have to remember to turn the volume down before resuming my music/podcast (assuming it doesn’t resume on its own). It doesn’t seem to matter what my ringer volume is set to either.
2. If I get a call while I have headphones in or have my phone plugged into an aux port, I’ll unplug it to talk to the person. For some reason, the call will come through on speakerphone and I have to toggle speakerphone on and back off to get it to route to the earpiece. It doesn’t seem to matter if I unplug it before I answer the call or after.

Any ideas?

Quoting myself in hopes of an answer

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dirk Funk posted:

Just got a wireless charging pad for my S6 for my desk at work and every time I put the phone on the pad I hear a high pitched beep which sounds like it's coming from the phone.

Is there any way to disable this sound (assuming it's coming from the phone)? I don't want that sound happening at work.if I can help it. I've never had one of these charging pads before so I'm new to this.

I grabbed a cheap charging base and it also beeped every time you set the phone on it. I just popped it open and removed the piece that made the sound. Took less than two minutes.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dirk Funk posted:

Oh, it's the base and not the phone?

I'll check that out?

Edit: I can't see anyway to open it. No screws or anything like that. Unless I can pry it open easily.

What charger?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, that's not like mine, so I don't know. I was able to pry mine apart pretty easily with an old credit card.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dirk Funk posted:

I saw this one, but ended up buying the dumb beeping one instead. I'll either return this for that one or find another place to keep it where it won't be irritating.

I almost responded with something about not keeping a product that has something you dislike EVERY time you use it, but then I remembered that I did just that and "fixed" it by literally breaking it.

FAKE EDIT: wish I'd taken this approach to my last few phones, which I bought and flashed a ROM on within hours of owning.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kri kri posted:

I love the droid turbo, why would you expect people to post in here if everything is working great?

This. My Turbo is fantastic (except for deafening me when I get a call with headphones in).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I just got a survey from Rewards asking what year it was and when I pressed 2015 immediately it chastised me for answering too fast and told me to try again. What the hell google.

Got this a few weeks back. Sorry I read a simple question and knew the answer, which was at the top of the list, too quickly, Google.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

My train station is next to a Walgreen (as in, I usually find myself leaning against the Walgreens while I wait), so I get surveys all the time asking the last time I went to a Walgreens. Turns out "yesterday" and "walked there" gets me more money than "oh, no, Google, I didn't actually go IN the store"

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Group messages in Hangouts work fine for me. I'm still on KitKat, so maybe it has to do with Lollipop.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sorry if this is a better question for the VZW thread, but I just got a replacement Turbo and the Advanced Calling doesn’t seem to be working. The option to activate it is greyed out and, anytime I make a call, it drops down to 1x. I’m on the latest software, so I don’t know why it wouldn’t be letting me activate it. I’ve tried rebooting and toggling airplane mode, thinking maybe it just needed to reconnect to the network or something after putting my SIM in, but no dice.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mogomra posted:

You might need to disable/enable that feature for your line in the VZW account management application? I think it's preloaded on the phone.

Already did that.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

X-post from the VZW thread:

So, any idea why Advanced Calling doesn't work on my (replacement) Turbo? It took a couple days for the option to enable itself when I first got it, but, now that it has, it doesn't seem to always work. Sometimes the dialer will display the "updated" layout, but it drops to 1X when I make the call. Other times, it shows the older dialer layout (with the End Call bar all the way across). WTF

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

this_is_hard posted:

Did you enable it on your Verizon profile?

FYI it's pretty poo poo even when it is 'working', so don't expect too much. The only current benefit from using it is if you need to use data while you make a call

Yeah, it's been enabled for a while. I've tried disabling and re-enabling it on their site, as well as my phone. And, yeah, data while in a call doesn't work for me since Advanced Calling isn't working for whatever loving reason.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

So I never got a second email or anything about the Turbo soak but I'm downloading the update now :aaaaa:

Yep, me too.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

alg posted:

I'm not a phone person but my Turbo feels a lot snappier with Lollipop.

Mine too.

Quick question: why doesn't Gmail show one of the new Heads Up style notification?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

My experience with the Play Store customer service has been nothing short of amazing, by far the best support I've ever gotten with products. God Bless Google.

Yeah, I've only had to deal with them twice, but both times were fantastic.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...inside-the-bar/

In Android M, you'll be able to remove everything in the status bar except for the battery icon.

Want that feature right now

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

So install android M

I'm on a Turbo, so I expect to see M around 2017

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tunga posted:

Crosspost from one of the bike threads in case someone here has an idea:

Is there a recommended way to mount my phone to my bike for GPS and similar? I want turn-by-turn navigation but I won't use it often enough to make it worth buying a ~£150 GPS unit. I have a Whyte Whitehall (flat bar) and my phone is a Nexus 5. Ideally something I can grab from Amazon UK.

I use a Handleband to hold my phone on my top tube when I'm using it for navigation. It was under $15 on Amazon and works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Cross posting from the VZW thread:

Anyone else get an email about another soak test for the Turbo?