Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

After a day with a Nexus 6 my only complaint is the viewing angles on the screen are pretty bad with a lot of yellowing after 30 degrees or so.

Main concern going into it was the size of course as I have pretty average man hands and not giant's hands, but a lifetime of PC gaming and piano playing has prepared me well and I have no issues.

Otherwise really enjoying it, huge upgrade over my S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Good to hear that the N6 works alright with the Tylt Vu, I'm working on tracking one down at the moment, I had a quick look at what's available in stores near me but all there really is is the Nokia DT-900 which is overpriced for what I'd be getting, may as well spend a bit extra for the Vu.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

z06ck posted:

Finally received my tylt vu from that half off sale a month ago. It's legit

I'm still trying to find somewhere in Australia that stocks it, everyone says out of stock with no ETA.

I think I want one enough I'll just pay international shipping from somewhere at this point, even if our dollar's worth poo poo at the moment.

Where are you guys buying yours?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

z06ck posted:

I bought mine from the source (tylt.com)

Not really an option for me unfortunately, they just point me at Amazon UK where it's ~80 GBP which is $150 AUD/$120 USD which is a bit more markup than I'd prefer (plus international shipping on top)

I'll keep looking and hope one of the places I've looked at gets more stock eventually.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I got myself a cheap ($20 AUD from Kogan) QI charger for my N6, this poo poo is magic.

I still want a Tylt Vu or similar eventually but this'll do in the short term - especially with the news of the other wireless power groups merging don't want to be stuck with a $100 brick in the immediate future.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Is anyone able to get smart lock to work with locations? I'm trying to add my home location but it won't work. Works just fine with my car through blutooth. Setting it with my home address does nothing. Setting it with GPS also does nothing.

It works quite well with my home location, but it does have issues where if I walk to the shops rather than driving sometimes it doesn't seem to trigger a location update and will not lock itself properly an hour later thinking I'm still at home...

Works properly 8/10 times I'd say which is good enough for me.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

seravid posted:

Anyone using cheapo QI chargers with current gen phones? My charger (typical generic pad, 2A in / 1A out) worked fine with the Nexus 7 but it can't maintain a connection with my new G3. The phone also complains (every couple of seconds when it detects the pad) that it's charging slowly and I should be using proper LG stuff, so I assume 1A wouldn't cut it even if it did charge; couldn't find 2A out pads on ebay, though.

My super cheap no-brand QI charger is working well with my Nexus 6 still. Charges fairly quick but slower than a 2A charger - I'm not sure what it's output is 1A may be right.

Stupid question but have you tried messing around with different positions for the phone?

The induction coil is probably in a different location, ie. in my Nexus 6 it's at the bottom of the device, so if I line up the bottom of my phone with either end of the charging pad it charges fine but if I have the phone centred it will charge slowly if it connects at all, you may just have the alignment out by enough that it can't do full power?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

seravid posted:

The G3 has a removable back cover so I know exactly where the coil is. Even so, I tried every position imaginable but the result was always the same: charging starts, phone complains, charging drops, repeat after 2 seconds.

Can you post a link to your charger? I assumed every generic pad was the same, but maybe not... Don't really want to spend 50€ on a freaking charger. Don't want to go back to cables like a caveman either, though.

edit: I didn't notice at the time that the QI pad came with a USB to "rounded plug jack thing" cable, not the usual USB to micro-USB, so I'm forced to use that instead of the G3's original cable. If it's poorly made - which is likely - maybe that's why the phone doesn't receive enough juice.

Mine's this cheap one off an Australian site:
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/qi-wireless-slim-inductive-charging-mat/
It's unbranded with a QI logo in the middle at the front, micro USB on one end and LED at the other.

I'm powering it through the charger that came with my Galaxy S3 as it came with a micro USB cord but no AC adapter.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I finally got my N6 turbo charger in the mail (Australian version), will this have a non-zero percent chance of making my QI pad explode if I plug it in via the USB port on it?

Or should it be fine.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

DemonMage posted:

It also won't make your qi pad work any better, so there's no real reason to do that.

I know it won't boost the qi pad but it will mean only having one plug next to my bed still and I just need to unplug the qi pad and use my phone instead when I need it to charged NOW

Thanks for the replies

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah I got the blue Diztronic case for my N6 and it doesn't add much bulk at all, still fits in my pockets fine and gives me a slightly better grip.

It didn't solve my issue of accidentally hitting the volume buttons in my pocket though - I was thinking it might have a cutout that leaves them inset like the case I had for my S3 but it's got a raised cover over the buttons instead.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

nerve posted:

Mine doesn't work well at all at my house and the pocket detection has worked zero times. But in theory you're totally right.

Mine stopped working at home a month or so ago, I tried adding in a second location like some people suggested but it's still spotty at best.

Smartlock still works well with the bluetooth in my car at least, so that's better than nothing.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

Looks like they basically put an LG Watch Urbane LTE (oh god LG fix your names) on the front of the G4 with this case..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdE3h3xnwEI

I saw the screen show the words "Quick Time", prepare to be sued LG. (Looks pretty neat, but I'd never use it)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Same except wallet and keys on the left and phone on the right.

The correct opinion.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Emmitt Nervend posted:

Quick question from a relatively inexperienced / new Android user.

I switched over from iPhone a while ago, and haven't looked back. As soon as I discovered alternate launchers (I'm using Apex Pro) and their customizations, I've gone crazy tweaking my phone to my preferences. I love it.
Recently, I was updated to 5.0.2, and I am very pleased with almost every change the update brought. However, I really do not like the notification preview thing for text messages. When I get a text, a large white box comes up on my screen, over whatever I'm doing, showing me whoever is texting, buttons to reply/read/call, and a preview of the message. See attached pic for reference. I did not take the pic, just found it on Google Images. I do not want this little window to pop up. I don't want someone looking at my phone to be able to read any message that comes in. I would think that this would be a pretty simple fix, for security reasons, but I've scoured through every setting I can think of, and it won't go away. It doesn't come up for emails, so why can't I turn it off for texts? I still want to receive a notification when I get a text, but I don't need the little preview window. Is this something I can turn off, or do I just have to live with it and hope nobody ever texts me while someone is looking at my phone.

For reference, I'm using a HTC One M9 with Android 5.0.2, and using Hello as my SMS app.

Thanks in advance!

Long tap on the Notification and hit the (i) button or go to Settings -> Sound and Notification (on a Nexus at least) and you should be able to find an option for app notifications, you can then set them as "Sensitive" this means you have to unlock the phone to view the contents of the notification. If you want to you can also Block notifications so they don't show up at all from that application... I thought there was a way to block even more but that might be it for now with the default settings.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Any quick recommendations on cases? Naturally, I will default to a Diztronic unless otherwise swayed.

I didn't like the raised side buttons on the N6 diztronic case, but I solved that with my pocket knife and am otherwise very happy with the feel and fit.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Not a Nexus 5, but no issues with it on my Nexus 6 either.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

hooah posted:

A couple of time in the last day or so, I've noticed that my phone's on cellular data instead of wifi when I wake it up. It'll switch back to wifi after a few seconds, but I've got the "always on" option checked, so I don't k of why it would be falling back to cell data. This has happened both at home and at school. I've got a 2014 Moto X running 5.1.

I've been having a similar issue for the last few days with my Nexus 6 but assumed it was just my ancient router finally giving up.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

My Nexus 6 got the Marshmallow OTA 6 days ago on Telstra, which isn't too bad but still a bit annoying... I've had to wait longer than that for previous updates.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Well that's a disappointing announcement, I need a storage upgrade more than anything on my N6 so I was looking forward to the 128gb versions, but at $1400 AUD for the XL that's never going to happen.

Dont think I can wait until the next set of Nexus/Pixel devices so I guess I'll just buy what ever else looks good and give up my bloat free Android

E: not a big fan of Huawei on principle (and having done some work for them). I do like my brother in laws 5X though.

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 5, 2016

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

So in hours roughly how long until this presentation?

Looking at the 3 (not XL) but to replace my aging Nexus 6.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

There's a good chance I (and possibly my wife) will be getting a Pixel 3 on Black Friday. What's the going recommendation for a case? I usually go with Diztronic, but I'm not seeing one.

Can't answer the question but I'd like to second it.

Planning on swapping my Nexus 6 for a Pixel 3 this week and interested in a basic TPU case for it, used Diztronic ones for my last couple of phones and been happy with them.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Bought my Pixel 3, was going to the the Spigen Thin Fit case for it... But apparently they're not selling it here yet and Amazon don't want to make it easy for me to buy, any similar recommendations for a basic TPU case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Uthor posted:

OK Google hasn't been working for me for a while. When I went to retrain, it just sat there saying "please wait...".

So I deleted the voice model and can't add a new one because it still says "please wait". Joy.

Any ideas?

My nexus 6 was having this issue.

My solution was buy a Pixel 3, hope this helps.

(retraining it on new phone actually fixed it for the Nexus 6 too, not sure how to force it on a single phone though)