Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Had to do a factory reset to get my GS5 lollipop update to quit bugging out. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Heh, the lollipop update on my galaxy s5 has hosed with my wifi. If I keep that "smart connect" on all it does all day is drop/connect to wifi like every 5 minutes when there's nothing wrong with the wifi AP. If I turn it off, it works as it should but I mean if it's gonna be that lovely why have it on there?! :cripes:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

lol asking this about a Samsung. How's the fingerprint reader and S-voice and tilt to endlessly scroll and all that garbage?

The fingerprint reader actually works really well. I use it as my unlock. I disable the rest of the poo poo

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

Wow, real helpful. The guy wants to type on his 5" phone with a full sized keyboard during meetings, and you come up with this?

Because trying to type on a tiny rear end device with an adult sized keyboard is a recipe for annoying.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

AT&T pushed an update to my S5 a few days ago. I now have KitKat 4.4.4! Oh, and the update managed to break smart network switching, so I lose about 10% battery an hour. And since I went a few days without really noticing, I managed to nearly go over my data usage, since I apparently wasn't ever connected to WiFi.

The fix? Just don't use smart network switching. Exact words from AT&T support, told me its only affecting a few people, so it isn't a high priority.

Had this same issue on Verizon a few pages ago. So it's not AT&T for sure.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Eej posted:

My roommate just upgraded to an S5 and wow Touchwiz is hot garbage and why do we have to consider rooting and flashing custom ROMs on day 1 in the year of our lord 2015.

Non-idiots can bypass most of the Touchwiz flavor with apps...

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

*runs in*

AHEM without an SD card and removable battery how can I be expected to watch 4 hours of animes every day on the bus?

finally someone that gets me

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Reverse Centaur posted:

I honestly kinda like the looks of the S6 edge but it's impractical and watching MKBHD's video showed it's still a janky piece of poo poo. Good for them for getting rid of the swipe fingerprint scanning though.

I use the swipe fingerprint scanner on my galaxy s5 and I think it works great

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Well... I guess if that's what Google thinks... :(

Bills suck anyway. Mooch forever

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

axeil posted:

So is there a consensus on what the best Android phone on VZW is right now? Can I get whatever the latest Nexus is from Google Play and put it on my account? I've got an S4 that's really starting to get rough around the edges. I thought I'd wait for the S6 but it looks like it's going to cost a shitload and it doesn't seem all that great, plus I love that i've got root on my current S4 so I've made touchwiz and crapware basically disappear. I'm guessing the S6 is going to be locked down from here to the ends of the Earth so I can experience The Magic of Touchwiz.

Probably the droid turbo.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

NihilismNow posted:

Just run some apps that randomly drain your battery, same effect as 5.0 really.

Amen. Hate lollipop battery life

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm curious what "good money" is.

Not minimum wage would be my guess

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Can't wait to see some fucker answering his 10 inch tablet like a phone.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I'd use the Material theme in Swype if it showed alt characters, it looks nice. v :) v

This annoys me too.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Is there a way natively to disable notification sounds when a bluetooth headset is connected - it's weird to have notification sounds come through on the device and the headset.

I know i can do this with tasker but I wanted to see if there was a way natively to do this before putting in the effort with tasker.

It's Galaxy S5 with Lollipop

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The S5 on Verizon re-released Lollipop with a new update. My battery life has substantially improved. Praise be to Samsung, Touchwiz be thy name.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Whizbang posted:

We told you about Samsung bro.

You dummy it's Samsung hardware good, Samsung software bad.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Front-facing flash does not sound like a good idea.

Am I crazy or did phones back in the day when front-facing cameras first came out have flashes as well? I mean they sucked but i thought they did.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Just got the galaxy s6 edge. Holy poo poo this is way better than the galaxy s5.

vyst fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 21, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

kri kri posted:

I'm not sure is this a question

Sorry I adjusted the grammar syntax in it for pedantic nerds.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What do you find to be so much better?

Things I already like better:

The ability to double press the home key to access the camera
The fingerprint scanner is like the iphone one now and you just have to put your finger over it
The camera lets you adjust the flash without having to drop down the settings menu
Touchwiz is far more cleaner (less samsung app bullshit)

Things that are neat but i won't use much:
The People Edge thing on the side of the phone - because it doesn't support 3rd party SMS/email apps.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Freezer posted:

Would you recommend the Edge over the regular S6? Does it have any use at all? I'm due for an upgrade soon, and the Edge version costs about about $130 more on the initial payment.

No. If i could do it over again I'd get the regular s6.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does Touchwiz feel faster this time around compared with the S5? UI lag is something my lizard brain really notices, and Touchwiz has been awful for this historically. Useless apps don't bother me so much since I usually just throw them in a folder or hide them.

Night and day. There is no lag that I can see anywhere. Granted I'm using nova launcher and textra. But the camera loads as quick as anything.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

hooah posted:

Don't you have a 2-week return window?

Probably but my Verizon manager friend did a whole lot of magic to get me this phone without having to return my cracked galaxy s5. I'm fine with the phone really. The information stream is neat

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WescottF1 posted:

I went with the regular S6. Didn't care for the feel of the Edge in hand and the additional functions aren't worth the extra $100. Been very happy with my choice so far.

See I think the edge feels better on my hand because of the design, but the extra poo poo definitely isn't worth the $100.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Sereri posted:

Yeah mine too, hadn't had to reboot since I sideloaded the OTA on wednesday. I said the same thing about 5.1 but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Vendors are extremely optimistic about this update apparently because phones slated for 5.1 will probably go directly to 5.1.1. I know the discussion of the galaxy s6 line 5.1 update said this.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lothire posted:

Would you by chance have any experience with the Nexus 6, and would you suggest the S6 over it in your opinion?

I'm overdue to upgrade by some several years and these two phones have my current attention. The samsung galaxy nexus has been a fantastic phone since it's release (maybe not the battery life so much), but it's been struggling heavily for the past year doing basic functions. It's time to upgrade, but my cell-phone buddy has been out of the loop for about as long, leaving me with a taste for android devices but little current world knowledge about them.

Based on my experiences, the n6 has a better user experience via the quickly available software upgrades and lack of touchwiz but the s6 has superior hardware (better camera, internals, etc.) - exception being a smaller screen. So if you can deal with the light flavor of touchwiz (and I do mean light in comparison to galaxy s5/s4) and aren't one of those people that are really anal about having the super cutting edge builds of android I'd go with the s6 easily.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Boozie posted:

What case and/or screen protector do I want for an S6?

Spigen Neo Hybrid is always a solid case.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Thankfully I moved out of FL before cell broadcast alerts became a thing because it must be hellish to be getting silver alerts every couple hours if you live in a place like Pinellas.

I live in Hillsborough and we don't get silver alerts, only Amber Alerts. I do see silver alerts all the time on the interstate billboards though

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FAUXTON posted:

Oh god, that's even worse. "SLOW DOWN HAZEL I GOTTA READ DA SIGN MAYBE ITS THE PEOPLE BACK AT DA HOME WORRYIN' BOUT US"

*sound of tires screeching, collisions*

Silver alerts are stolen cars :v:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="445743890"]
No?

Oh wow I'm wrong - learn something new every day. Wow that's even dumber.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Kawabata posted:

Maybe I didn't phrase it well, but they do.

Some people buy the OnePlusOne thinking they "tricked the market" or something because they got an amazing phone for 200-300$ less than the equivalent flagship Samsung/LG/HTC model would cost and then they also expect OnePlus to give a gently caress about their warranty. Most buyers think that a meticulously built product will have a reliable company behind it and it's not always the case.

I know one person like this

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Whizbang posted:

It's your job to fix your lovely metadata, not theirs.

ugh why can't google ~just know~ ughhhh

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Haven't heard this in a while in this thread. Personally I hope the NSA passes around dick pics of me one day.

Same. Check out my dilz Obama

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

you fuckers stop buying huge phones right now

Samsung is releasing a S6 mini that's 4.6 but the screen is pretty meh. :-/

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

shyduck posted:

Someone that's used an S6 Edge for a while, what are your impressions? Is the edge thing worth having, and is it durable?

I have the edge. If i could do it over again I'd get the S6. As it stands currently the People Edge only works with stock messages or your carrier's messaging app. No 3rd party development on it yet. The feeds you can put on the information bar are very limited. And you can't have a tempered glass screen protector on it.

With that said - the edge feels great in the hand and the edge screen does look really cool.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

shyduck posted:

Thanks for the info, I use Textual for messaging so that would be a no-go for me. I'll probably just wait a bit for more software refinement, because it does look like an interesting device.

Yea I use Textra, so if they could get that supported it would be A++, I also would love the ability to add my own RSS feeds to the information stream.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So I've had the Galaxy S6 for two weeks now. About an hour ago the screen stopped rotating. I can't get it to flip horizontal. What gives?

Check the screen rotation toggle

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

also, whats a good messaging app? the stock one on my turbo redraws everytime i open it and takes minutes to load text message threads, even ones not that long. hangouts crashes every few minutes and sometimes, when opening a texts thread, will jump to the first text instead of the last text....in threads several hundred messages long.

Textra supremacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Skeezy posted:

The 5.1.1 update is out for Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge owners on T-Mobile.

gently caress you Verizonnnn