Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

smoobles posted:

I just switched from AT&T to Project Fi a few hours ago, so it could be my number not being properly routed yet or something... Very weird.

Is this a thing? I'm about to try to transfer my number from one service to another for the first time (MetroPCS to Fi) and as it is I'm already unsure of what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

Fart of Presto posted:

I saw a review for the MNML case, which mentions that particular case has a bit more friction to it compared to Peel. Does anyone have a firsthand impression of it? I seem to remember someone in this thread knew of both and preferred MNML, but that was due to the price.

I bought the MNML on recommendations from this thread and found that while it had better grip than the bare phone it wasn't nearly as good as it needed to be for a case that offers so little protection.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

So from the sounds of it I'm still in the clear to buy a Moto G5 as a cheap phone for my mom right? It doesn't seem like there's much noteworthy about the phones announced today and I know she doesn't care about software updates.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I just caught up on 100+ posts and there was someone saying they needed a phone for their mom and they didn't care about updates.

That was me, thanks for looking out. The part I left out was that it took a lot of doing to talk my mom up to spending even $200 on a phone, up till now she was fairly set on buying a $100 Samsung and calling it a day. Soon I won't be around much to play tech support so my main concern is getting a decent sturdy phone, it's not that I don't actually see the benefits of having the latest security updates.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

Taffer posted:

still no update on my pixel 2 after checking. google!!! :argh:

Same, I barely know what the update is or what it's good for but I want it NOW

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

Are there any particularly decent phones on sale in the $150-$200 range? I've been tasked with helping a relative (on Cricket) who's not particularly tech savvy and it's looking like it's time for an upgrade

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

teagone posted:

I just ordered my dad a 64GB Moto G7 for $99 before tax. I got it from Google Fi. You have to activate the device on the Google Fi network within 30 days of the ship date, but after that, you can cancel your Fi account the same day and use the phone on whatever network since it's unlocked.

Came across it on Slickdeals — https://slickdeals.net/f/13614049-unlocked-moto-g7-for-99-with-google-fi-activation where others confirmed that once you cancel, you don't get charged anything since you didn't actually use the service, so all you pay upfront is the $99 + tax for the phone. I also read that after you confirm activation, you can do a factory reset of the phone to get rid of the Google Fi app on the phone.

Thank you, this sounds perfect. :) And thanks for the folks recommending the 3a too but I was lucky to even get the meager budget I was given lol

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/03/13/pixel-5-lineup-might-not-be-the-high-end-phones-youd-expect/

Looks like the Pixel 5 and 5 XL will be bramble and redfin. This means they'd use the mid-range Snapdragon 765G and will both possibly have telephoto lenses.

Just.... give the non-XL model a good battery..... please........

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

quote:

Pixel 5a 5G is not cancelled.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

hooah posted:

Did 12 get rid of the ability to tap on the clock in the notification shade to open the clock?

It definitely did and it's the the tiniest little change that's also killing me

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

clicking the date on the home screen opens the weather app and not the calendar, I had to make sure I wasn't fat fingering the weather info underneath because I couldn't believe it

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's not the literal dumbest thing in the world but it's very very stupid that there's no option to change it

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

Need a little help because I have to be missing something obvious but google had nothing for me: how do you move files in android 12? It looks like it's been dropped from the usual context menu in Files

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

hooah posted:

Looks like you'll have to use a third-party file manager. I have been using Solid Explorer for years.

lmao that's some total dogshit but thank you, I'll give Solid Explorer a look. Thanks google i love your products and services :discourse:

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

spincube posted:

Are you looking at your files from the 'categories' (Downloads, Images, Videos etc) from the Files screen? Because if you browse to them through the 'Internal Storage' thing at the bottom instead, you'll be able to move them around.

Not really; you're not looking at a My Pictures / Documents / etc directory, you're looking at everything in your storage filtered by its type. There's no point in moving stuff around in the directory structure beneath that, because you're looking at everything anyway.

Thank you, imo it's a natural impulse to want to shuffle recently downloaded files from the default download view so it feels like a baffling design choice to just.... remove the option entirely

Fawf fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 28, 2021

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

I've got an android question here- how on earth do I change my name here? I've changed the name associated with all of my google accounts tied to my phone but this one hasn't changed.

Pixel 5, my provider was previously Fi (idk if that has anything to do with anything) now Mint (changed it there too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

minusX posted:

You might need to sign out of the account and back it to see it adjust the name for that field. Seems to pull from the google account when you first log in to the phone, but no idea if it adjust it when you update.

Thanks, I actually managed to stumble into the answer by accident. Settings --> System --> Multiple Users, turn multiple users on and then you can edit the name of the main profile. Flip it back off and that new name is still reflected everywhere. Not intuitive whatsoever but hey, it worked :v: